• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal’s primary focus is to increase player engagement, won’t feature deathmatch to keep players “happy”

mcz117chief

This shit is now officially off my pre-order list. At first it seemed that most shit I disliked about DOOM 4 has been fixed but all the latest insanity is driving me away more and more. The last straw is this insane advocation for mtx as "player engagement" (wtf lol, only my wallet is engaged) and "if I lose in deathmatch it hurts my fee fees." fuck off, bitch. I won't give you my money, Call of Duty deserves it more.

edit: nope, it doesn't. They decided to put guns behind MTX in Modern Warfare 4 so they can fuck right off too.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
MTX In single player campaign or just multiplayer. Either way. No I hate that shit. Either make the game with unlockables for a reasonable price or free to play for reasonable prices for MTX. Oh wait most likely the game will be full price with expensive unlocks, when the game sells poorly no doubt they will say the engagement aspect part failed.

GenericUser

It' really getting harder and harder for me to justify a full price purchase these days when the devs "promote" mtx so agressively. Do they believe people want that? Why do they speak so open about it?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This shit is now officially off my pre-order list. At first it seemed that most shit I disliked about DOOM 4 has been fixed but all the latest insanity is driving me away more and more. The last straw is this insane advocation for mtx as "player engagement" (wtf lol, only my wallet is engaged) and "if I lose in deathmatch it hurts my fee fees." fuck off, bitch. I won't give you my money, Call of Duty deserves it more.
Like i agree with you but fucking hell
Call of duty? Come one man...

mcz117chief

Like i agree with you but fucking hell
Call of duty? Come one man...
At least that is consistent. Has solid mechanics, campaign and multiplayer that literally never disappointed me. The MTX in that game at least doesn't require money to buy (it didn't it CoD4:MW-re or Infinite Warfare). If they introduce pay-to-win in COD then I will quit on that shit too.

edit: well, just read that they added weapons to lootboxes in Modern Warfare 4. Sigh. Guess I'll save even more money now and will be playing Infinite Warfare if I ever want to play online Call of Duty.

please remove glory kills, they're fucking stupid garbage

I would keep them as a berserker power-up only thing.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Did anyone actually like the multiplayer in Doom 2016, though?

Whole MP was outsourced to different company and it was shit.
This time they wanted to make ammendments.

And this is ID Software aka guys who released Quake 3, 2nd best arena shooter game but with best deatchmatch mode.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop. Doom needs coop.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Judging by the mentality of the person being interviewed the game is probably better off without deathmatch. The MTX stuff though, will depend entirely on how much it can be ignored. I remember the uproar over the mtx in the 2nd mordor game before it released. Ended up playing the entire thing without noticing it.

I think that is the key to doing it "right" nowadays. Have the option there for the whales, make it unobtrusive for everybody else. They're here to stay either way, at least until/if subscription takes over.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Did anyone actually like the multiplayer in Doom 2016, though?
Wasn't bad... But was just ok. Either way, this series created the term. It's a legacy thing and they killed

I hope that the single player is as good as the first game and not a thing like Wolfenstein. Bethesda is going downhill

Fuz

Banned
And after Borderlands 3 here's another game that I'm gonna skip. The industry is trying their best to make me save money for a new car.

Yeah. Whenever I see the word "engagement" today, I know it's bad news.
Yeah, it's one of those buzzwords whose real meaning is "disgusting shit".

Last edited:
I remember people defending the Jesus out of this game and how it now forces you to do more cinematic glory kills and now we get this news. I'm sure the same people are going to love this news. At least we have classic fps indie games that don't pander to 5-year-olds.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

edit: nope, it doesn't. They decided to put guns behind MTX in Modern Warfare 4 so they can fuck right off too.
At this point, the cancelled doom4 footage looks more promising...
I loved 2016 doom as the other guy but it was already more painkiller+quake rather than doom puzzle combat. The only game that does Doom 1 and 2 puzzle combat right is Halo.
But setting all that aside (how doom 2016 is not really like doom) it is a great game on it's own rights.
It's just that the new game looks to be way more arcadey and bethesda has changed to much that You can be sure they will fuck it up... and it's too colorful!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I fucking hate most modern AAA these days.
yeah. Listening to giant bombcast 2008 goty awards and then 2009... 7th gen was so fucking awesome. Relistening to giantbombcast from those years makes me remember how awesome new games were. There was a genuine excitement about 360/ps3/wii tech and games using it. PLENTY of new games each month. Single player games. AAA and AA. No lootbox shit or any of that crap. It all changed around after 2012/2013

yeah. Listening to giant bombcast 2008 goty awards and then 2009... 7th gen was so fucking awesome. Relistening to giantbombcast from those years makes me remember how awesome new games were. There was a genuine excitement about 360/ps3/wii tech and games using it. PLENTY of new games each month. Single player games. AAA and AA. No lootbox shit or any of that crap. It all changed around after 2012/2013

I'm not overly fond of gen 7 but at least they still tried some fun and interesting things. Most everything today is over engineered and focus grouped to death.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm not overly fond of gen 7 but at least they still tried some fun and interesting things. Most everything today is over engineered and focus grouped to death.
Many, many new ip,s with full trilogies on gen7. Sure the gen was not perfect but it was great compared to what we have now. The best games we have this gen (like bloodborne) are mostly an extension of games from last gen

ymoc

Can we stop with the "FUCK YOU" shitposts at least?
Everyone is tripping over themselves when it comes to shitting on Resetera for their toxic mentality, yet here we go with the same juvenile attitude.
You're being triggered by words like "make players happy" for god's sake. I'm sorry that a perceived (?) streamlining of a game will diminish your chances to own noobs or something? And we don't even know if that's the case.
You don't like something about the development of a game? Fine, but articulate it like a mentally developed adult without resorting to insults.
How can you even expect any devs to join a community like this? What for? For shitposts like this?

Look, I played the shit out of Doom 1 multiplayer with my brother when we were growing up. It was nice. Doom 2016 multiplayer didn't do anything for me though. It was really really mediocre.
Everyone is frothing at their mouth when the developer dares to think about taking the formula in another direction. Now everyone is acting personally wronged, except I bet half of you didn't even try it out, or abandoned it in a week (I'm sorry for the 3 of you guys who actually still play it and I sympathise). But let's be honest here, Doom 2016 multiplayer was DEAD ON ARRIVAL. The playerbase is tiny.
Why should a developer commit to the same thing and expect a return on their investment? Yes it would make a tiny portion of the hardcore fans happy, but it really doesn't bring in revenue. And that's really honest. People need to get paid.

MMaRsu

Banned
Can we stop with the "FUCK YOU" shitposts at least?
Everyone is tripping over themselves when it comes to shitting on Resetera for their toxic mentality, yet here we go with the same juvenile attitude.
You're being triggered by words like "make players happy" for god's sake. I'm sorry that a perceived (?) streamlining of a game will diminish your chances to own noobs or something? And we don't even know if that's the case.
You don't like something about the development of a game? Fine, but articulate it like a mentally developed adult without resorting to insults.
How can you even expect any devs to join a community like this? What for? For shitposts like this?

Look, I played the shit out of Doom 1 multiplayer with my brother when we were growing up. It was nice. Doom 2016 multiplayer didn't do anything for me though. It was really really mediocre.
Everyone is frothing at their mouth when the developer dares to think about taking the formula in another direction. Now everyone is acting personally wronged, except I bet half of you didn't even try it out, or abandoned it in a week (I'm sorry for the 3 of you guys who actually still play it and I sympathise). But let's be honest here, Doom 2016 multiplayer was DEAD ON ARRIVAL. The playerbase is tiny.
Why should a developer commit to the same thing and expect a return on their investment? Yes it would make a tiny portion of the hardcore fans happy, but it really doesn't bring in revenue. And that's really honest. People need to get paid.

You dont often see dumb posts like this.

Taking the formula in a new direction? Which direction is that exactly? The one filled with microtransactions and "PlaYeR EnGaGemEnT"?

That is why people are pissed off, not because they want to make people happy (pr speak for we want to make more money)

People need to get paid but ID and 2k are million dollar corporations. They decide how they handle their business. Dont come in here trying to handwave microtransactions.

Yes people need to get paid, thats why there are things like wages and the game already costs 60$.

Doom 2016 multiplayer was complete dogshit so instead of putting in Deathmatch that fans have been asking fot since DOOM 2016 nawhh we cant have them freely playing without spending any money!

We need levels, loadouts, crates and cosmetics!

Fuck off already with your apologetic bullshit. People like you who condone and handwave is why we are in this place.

ymoc

You dont often see dumb posts like this.

Taking the formula in a new direction? Which direction is that exactly? The one filled with microtransactions and "PlaYeR EnGaGemEnT"?

That is why people are pissed off, not because they want to make people happy (pr speak for we want to make more money)

People need to get paid but ID and 2k are million dollar corporations. They decide how they handle their business. Dont come in here trying to handwave microtransactions.

Yes people need to get paid, thats why there are things like wages and the game already costs 60$.

Doom 2016 multiplayer was complete dogshit so instead of putting in Deathmatch that fans have been asking fot since DOOM 2016 nawhh we cant have them freely playing without spending any money!

We need levels, loadouts, crates and cosmetics!

Fuck off already with your apologetic bullshit. People like you who condone and handwave is why we are in this place.

We will wait and see, won't we? Isn't that exciting! But you can go ahead and be cynical all you like. It must be fun!

Where did I handwave microtransactions? You like putting words int other people's mouths don't you? What are you talking about? I know it's a trigger word for you, but look at it this way: do you think CS:GO or Siege microtransactions are detrimental to your gameplay? I personally don't think so. They have 0 influence on how to play the game, they provide 0 advantage over other players. On the other hand they bring in revenue so the creators have a reason to keep supporting the title with regular updates (see how Siege flourished).Though it is your choice to be against them, sure. I'd prefer they didn't exist many times, but I understand the reason they exist and it's honestly fine by me when they are cosmetic.

What are you talking about? Games already cost 60$? You do realize a typical AAA game costs A LOT to develop and market? Even at 60$ pricetag the game needs to sell a few million copies to cover the costs.

Silent Duck

“Player engagement is something that most companies focus these days via different methods. One of them is via microtransactions and Doom Eternal will feature them.”

C51FeGr.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
We will wait and see, won't we? Isn't that exciting! But you can go ahead and be cynical all you like. It must be fun!

Where did I handwave microtransactions? You like putting words int other people's mouths don't you? What are you talking about? I know it's a trigger word for you, but look at it this way: do you think CS:GO or Siege microtransactions are detrimental to your gameplay? I personally don't think so. They have 0 influence on how to play the game, they provide 0 advantage over other players. On the other hand they bring in revenue so the creators have a reason to keep supporting the title with regular updates (see how Siege flourished).Though it is your choice to be against them, sure. I'd prefer they didn't exist many times, but I understand the reason they exist and it's honestly fine by me when they are cosmetic.

What are you talking about? Games already cost 60$? You do realize a typical AAA game costs A LOT to develop and market? Even at 60$ pricetag the game needs to sell a few million copies to cover the costs.

Yup keep making excuses for the companies that make millions upon millions.

Us plebs should be hapoy with the slop that is fed to us. Better keep consuming you pigs!

Dude ALL you are doing is handwaving microtransactions.

CS GO and Siege are basically f2p games, and yes inclusion of MTX HAS been detrimental to its gameplay. The only reason they exist is to make MORE money, not to keep the games afloat. Ubisoft can pay to keep siege afloat with their millions they made from AC MTX.

Sadly clowns like yourself keep making excuses because these devs are obviously going home hungry, having to feed their six kids pieces of bread while huddling together to get whatever warmth is left.

Can you please fuck off? Cynical? No bro,im realistic af.

Last edited:
Isn't deathmatch as important to Doom as Doom itself? I recall playing this on modem with some friends back in the days, setting up a basic LAN just so we can play it 4 at a time! ... what gives?

However, I never even tried Doom 2016's Multiplayer... so maybe it's not as relevant as it was back in the 1990's.

CS GO and Siege are basically f2p games, and yes inclusion of MTX HAS been detrimental to its gameplay. The only reason they exist is to make MORE money, not to keep the games afloat. Ubisoft can pay to keep siege afloat with their millions they made from AC MTX.

Sadly clowns like yourself keep making excuses because these devs are obviously going home hungry, having to feed their six kids pieces of bread while huddling together to get whatever warmth is left.
That doesn't explain why two products (a singne player campaign and a couple of multi player maps) should be lumped together, having the MP mode lumped in the single player game does not prevent any of the MTX, it forces a coordinated release of both, and it forces the devs to choose are we expanding the story or do we just make a new hat this month?

Digital assets may be freely duplicated, but there is serious shortage of developers to develop any kind of content.you can<t just do everything in parallel.

Zannegan

I wonder if we've reached the point where devs will start announcing bad news on purpose just to rile up their fanbase and then pull in the accolades when they course correct. Probably too risky for ganes that are tracking well ahead of launch, but if your game didn't have the right kind of buzz, I could see someone giving it a shot in a "so crazy it just might work" sort of way.

Isn't deathmatch as important to Doom as Doom itself? I recall playing this on modem with some friends back in the days, setting up a basic LAN just so we can play it 4 at a time! ... what gives?

However, I never even tried Doom 2016's Multiplayer... so maybe it's not as relevant as it was back in the 1990's.

How many more people are going to argue deathmatch is a fundamental part of Doom while admitting they never touched it in Doom 2016? You think iD can't tell there isn't a real community for Doom 2016's multiplayer? Like this decision was made despite its huge popularity? The decision was made because it wasn't popular at all and you had stuff like Giant Bomb saying that the game was more likely to win their GOTY had it not had MP at all but since it had it they had to judge the full package, and they weren't the only critics doing this! Games get lower metascores for modes that aren't up to snuff and it works out better when you don't even provide the option.

Also did I see someone say Rainbow Six Siege was basically free to play? LOL WTF. Three years post-release it had a price HIKE!

What I meant by basically f2p is because of the amount of mtx garbage they throw in.

I'm not sure your formula for "AC made x money from MTX to help offset losses on Rainbow Six Siege" makes much sense either, not to investors and most these companies rely on investors as much as people buying the game. The Jim Sterling level "fuck all games with MTX" gets tougher to jive with when there aren't multiplayer games that exist any more without them, maybe a more nuanced look at why they exist and if it's really cost effective to not have them might be warranted.

Malio

"Player engagement is something that most companies focus these days via different methods. One of them is via microtransactions "

Most hilarious line of the interview. You can fuck right off, buddy.

Petrae

I should be thanking publishers and developers for saving me so much money through their transparency this year. Modern Warfare and DOOM Eternal were the last two games I had on my radar this year, but news about both regarding MTX and “player engagement”— which is code for “We’re greedy motherfuckers”— killed my interest in both.

So, thanks Activision and Bethesda! My wallet is relieved.

MiguelItUp

I'll add it's still very much my most anticipated game this year, as I've always been a huge DOOM fan. I enjoyed the Eternal demo at Quakecon as well, so don't be discouraged, if you loved 2016 you'll love this just as much if not more.

For those that hate glory kills, that's one of the primary mechanics in 2016, and the same if not more so in Eternal, so that ain't happening. Guess the game isn't for you, lol.

I'm just legit bummed because of ALL the teams that would shoe horn microtransactions, I didn't think it would be them. That's my fault of course. This is just proof to never tell yourself it won't happen, no one and nothing is safe, lol.

I'm also confused AF about some of the quotes in that article, it's almost like they forgot they're making a DOOM game, lmao. I know in the party Marty mentioned something like, "If you want an arena shooter multiplayer experience, play Quake Champions." Which, I think is funny because while the game had a lot of potential, it's unfortunately on life support at this time. They haven't put legit new content into the game in awhile, so it definitely feels like they stopped caring to support it. 🤷‍♂️

Phase

Yup keep making excuses for the companies that make millions upon millions.

Us plebs should be hapoy with the slop that is fed to us. Better keep consuming you pigs!

Dude ALL you are doing is handwaving microtransactions.

Can you please fuck off? Cynical? No bro,im realistic af.
This is exactly it. Players have been inundated with this shit for years now and are privy to the tactics games companies use, and they don't want to sit and take it any longer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom