• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal - March 20!

MiguelItUp

Doom 2016 had this retail edition:

Doe anyone know if Eternal has something similar?

Wasn't that version only available directly through Bethesda? Or somewhere online? So cool. I personally haven't seen anything yet, but with all they're putting into this I wouldn't be surprised if it popped up!

makaveli60

Wasn't that version only available directly through Bethesda? Or somewhere online? So cool. I personally haven't seen anything yet, but with all they're putting into this I wouldn't be surprised if it popped up!
It was an exclusive for a certain retail store in my country. I managed to get one, though I had to wait almost a week after launch because they f'd up something. You can imagine how that felt :D but it was worth it in the end. They also gave me a Doom T-shirt and an "IDDQD" bracelet as compensation :)

Last edited:

Skyr

Who is going to try their first run on Nightmare? I am highly considering it.
Ye I will. Did my first Doom 2016 playthrough on nightmare back at release and am currently replaying it on that.
I wonder tho if Nightmare mode for Eternal will be harder this time as gameplay mechanics seem deeper overall.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Ye I will. Did my first Doom 2016 playthrough on nightmare back at release and am currently replaying it on that.
I wonder tho if Nightmare mode for Eternal will be harder this time as gameplay mechanics seem deeper overall.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Since there is no ultra nightmare either but some other mode for that (forget what devs said).

I recall them saying on nightmare the enemies would use their stronger attacks all the time and their accuracy would be increased. On nightmare you can only make one mistake or maybe 2 depending on the enemy it could be a lot of trial and error and little bit of luck further in the game.

Still have not fully decided myself. I may watch a little bit of Twicth streamer to get an idea. I did watch a developer video on the second level in game doing a master level on nightmare and it was pretty crazy. They said the dev had over 100 hours of seat time in the game and still struggled.

Skyr

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Since there is no ultra nightmare either but some other mode for that (forget what devs said).

I recall them saying on nightmare the enemies would use their stronger attacks all the time and their accuracy would be increased. On nightmare you can only make one mistake or maybe 2 depending on the enemy it could be a lot of trial and error and little bit of luck further in the game.

Still have not fully decided myself. I may watch a little bit of Twicth streamer to get an idea. I did watch a developer video on the second level in game doing a master level on nightmare and it was pretty crazy. They said the dev had over 100 hours of seat time in the game and still struggled.
That sounds idd like they are stepping it up a notch.
Which is good because nightmare on 2016 feels very easy when you stick to three basic principles, which are: Stay mobile, use the finisher for health and use the chainsaw occasionally for ammo. It feels a little to simple at times.
Deeper gameplay mechanics like the meathook for example will do the game good.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
That sounds idd like they are stepping it up a notch.
Which is good because nightmare on 2016 feels very easy when you stick to three basic principles, which are: Stay mobile, use the finisher for health and use the chainsaw occasionally for ammo. It feels a little to simple at times.
Deeper gameplay mechanics like the meathook for example will do the game good.
Agreed.......2016 did allow cheese in a few areas where you could take advantage of cover etc. From what I have seen staying mobile is ever more essential in this one and they don't provide anyplace to really hide.

I would typically save the chainsaw for some of the more annoying enemies (the one that warped all over the place). The added mechanics could even potentially make it even easier. With fire causing enemies to drop shielding, being able to freeze enemies plus the meat hook and double dash.

I am so excited as it just sounds so fun and seems like the combat will be very rewarding once you get in the rhythm.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Sadly today's my GCU expiration date, so last night I put in a pre-order for Doom Eternal. Best Buy threw a 25% coupon at me because of my membership ending, so the game came out to $39.30 after tax. Stack on the free Doom 64 and a $10 reward certificate from Best Buy for pre-ordering and that seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Hopefully the wait for a release date isn't too long.

Paltheos

Jesus, when I saw this topic bumped back to the top again, I thought for a split second that the game had gotten delayed again until I read the date.

(And now to frighten one more person...)

My preorder is complete. My hype and happiness knowing that it is now mine, brings about great joy and a 5000% increase to demon massacring hype levels. The screenshot I shared to friends is somewhat distasteful, but I don't care. I see so many with it on their wish lists, but Doom Eternal wish listing means nothing to me...for it is already mine, and thats all that matters.

Image is tacky yes, but I have Doom Eternal, so tackiness is irrelevant.
0OpTQhW.png

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Only read PC Gamer, IGN and Eurogamer reviews. The former are raving about it, "one of the best shooters available", Eurogamer as to be expected are meh, probably not enough non-binary homosexual cross dressing demons in it for their precious liking.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Only read PC Gamer, IGN and Eurogamer reviews. The former are raving about it, "one of the best shooters available", Eurogamer as to be expected are meh, probably not enough non-binary homosexual cross dressing demons in it for their precious liking.
I hope they left the references for these lunatics in the game (present in the first gameplay demo).

Skyr

Preloading on steam. It's only 37.2 gb. So I guess the rest will download through bethestada launcher? Haven't actually installed it yet.

TUROK

Y'know, the morally just thing to do right now is for Zenimax to release it early and incentivize people to practice social distancing...

But morally just and Zenimax don't tend to mix. ZING

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the game looks really dope. the level design appears to be leaps and bounds past the first game. that was great but it got tiring being in the same space base rooms over and over again. i can't wait to be shooting up demons in a destroyed mall!

after seeing the LGR review, it's apparent they really went all out to make sure there was far more variety than the last game. really colorful as well! today i finally pre-ordered.

im looking forward to those big setpieces fighting demons with bombed out city skyscrapers in the background. that's the kind of stuff you always wanted to see, and they tried to do way back in DOOM II, but the technology just wasn't there.

plus all the movement additions... dang, for a sequel, this game looks like it has a lot to offer

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
the game looks really dope. the level design appears to be leaps and bounds past the first game. that was great but it got tiring being in the same space base rooms over and over again. i can't wait to be shooting up demons in a destroyed mall!

after seeing the LGR review, it's apparent they really went all out to make sure there was far more variety than the last game. really colorful as well! today i finally pre-ordered.

im looking forward to those big setpieces fighting demons with bombed out city skyscrapers in the background. that's the kind of stuff you always wanted to see, and they tried to do way back in DOOM II, but the technology just wasn't there.

plus all the movement additions... dang, for a sequel, this game looks like it has a lot to offer

The level design in Doom 2016 definitely felt like they used Snap Maps to make it. Either that or tried to make it such to push Snapmaps as a feature and not feel out of place in comparison to the main campaign.

I am actually really hyped for the Battlemode. Looks like it will be a ton of fun.

Damn. This snuck up on me. Sadly gonna have to wait it out a bit :(. Game is looking amazing tho, glad they delayed it and didn’t just rush it out.

Top Bottom