• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal - March 20!

All the bright neon colors, picks ups flying out of enemies and busyness of the hud look out of place and tacky.

Doom looks more like Serious Sam 2 than it does Doom these days. I wish the art team behind Quake 3s aesthetic were the ones designing Doom these days.

The latest Dooms now suffer from the thing that COD use to get made fun of (in terms of map design):
BITmX.jpg

Last edited:

Business

All the bright neon colors, picks ups flying out of enemies and busyness of the hud look out of place and tacky.

Doom looks more like Serious Sam 2 than it does Doom these days. I wish the art team behind Quake 3s aesthetic were the ones designing Doom these days.

The latest Dooms now suffer from the thing that COD use to get made fun of (in terms of map design):
BITmX.jpg

It's been a while since I played Doom 2016 but I don't recall the game suffering from this at all.

Hostile_18

Banned

BITmX.jpg

I dont think you could argue Doom 2016 had many cutscenes, if anything it deliberately cut them short.

The few levels (for me) that featured backtracking were generally the weaker ones.

The main thing I didnt like was how many last third "danger rooms" there were, it got the tiniest bit repetitive.

I dont think you could argue Doom 2016 had many cutscenes, if anything it deliberately cut them short.

The few levels (for me) that featured backtracking were generally the weaker ones.

The main thing I didnt like was how many last third "danger rooms" there were, it got the tiniest bit repetitive.

Ignore the cutscene part of that image. I couldnt find one without it. I was referring to map design.

Last edited:

SnapShot

I'm not really all that excited for it so they can delay it as long as they want, I thought Doom (2016) was nothing special, The novelty of "A modern game with some retro sensibilities" wore off real fast for me and the arenas and glory kills got very repetitive, I liked the approach of older Doom games better, where fights were methodic, not epileptic. arenas make the whole thing feel like playing a multiplayer arena shooter with bots. come to think of it I don't remember a single level from that game besides the first level where you wake up naked, that's how forgettable it felt to me.

From what I've seen in the trailers and revealed gameplays this seems like more of the same thing, except with more platforming and few extra bells and whistles, and they're trying to tell some kind of fantasy story in it now, whatever that is it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Last edited:

TUROK

Well, from memory, it feels much smaller than the OG dooms, like the increase in finality resulted in much smaller spaces.

Cant argue with the gun play though. Ill give it that.
The Doom 2016 levels definitely feel less complex at times in comparison to Doom 1 and 2.

Higher fidelity graphics, but the map layouts feel more straightforward.

Seems like Eternal is going more maze-y with it, though.

Last edited:

Business

The Doom 2016 levels definitely feel less complex at times in comparison to Doom 1 and 2.

Higher fidelity graphics, but the map layouts feel more straightforward.

Seems like Eternal is going more maze-y with it, though.

It’s been like 25 years I played Doom 1 and 2 so I don’t really remember if the maps are more or less complex than 2016, it’s possible.

Calling Doom 2016 a corridor shooter though is terrible hyperbole and just plain wrong.

TUROK

It’s been like 25 years I played Doom 1 and 2 so I don’t really remember if the maps are more or less complex than 2016, it’s possible.

Calling Doom 2016 a corridor shooter though is terrible hyperbole and just plain wrong.
Well, some levels are pretty linear, but the verticality does make them feel fairly expansive.

Am I the only one that notices the lack of geometrics in the level design. Not sure if I used the right word but what I mean is...everything looks big/fat. Bubbly even regarding buildings especially. Reminds me a bit of Painkiller. For example in DOOM 2016 you had lots of railings and contruction equipment...skinny piping, circuits and chains etc. At least from what Ive seen everything is just simplified by making it big. MASSIVE door, MASSIVE stairs. Theres no tiny world details.

Last edited:

SnapShot

I might be the only one who doesn't care too much about level design, either it's open ended or not doesn't matter to me, I've played dozens of linear levels and still had no major issues with them, I'll take a linear but fun game over a non-linear snoozefest any day.

lol.jpg

(disclaimer, this image is not about Doom Eternal or Doom 2016)

Last edited:
That TV spot is brutal and I'm 95% certain it's the work if a woman. They didn't want to shoot it down because she'd cry SEXISM so they just put it out for the internet to decide. I have a hard time believing that they've been hitting all the marks with ease only to fuck up so spectacularly this close to launch.

Nymphae

Banned
Preordering games 😂😂😂😂

Yeah I payed for the game I knew I was going to buy early, hilarious! I don't understand the issue when you know it's a game you are going to play, and the pre-order that costs you nothing literally includes free games. You're stupid not to.

Dr.Morris79

Yeah I payed for the game I knew I was going to buy early, hilarious! I don't understand the issue when you know it's a game you are going to play, and the pre-order that costs you nothing literally includes free games. You're stupid not to.
I thought Sony wants the money upfront?

ZywyPL

Banned

But... that's exactly what it is, no? You just run around and SHOOT demons in tight CORRIDORS, nothing more nothing less, and the ability to go around the level once you kill off the demons to search for collectibles doesn't change anything. Eternal will have larger areas, granted, but it's still as linear experience as it can get, with little to no plot, just mindlessly running around through levels shooting demons once again, no bigger philosophy. Honestly, from all the gameplays released so far, I cannot see Eternal to be any more open/complex than let's say Crysis 2, that's also neither linear nor open-world, and that game was universally considered to be a strictly linear experience back in the day, some even compared it to on-rails titles like CoD...

Dr.Morris79

I'd have all those games preordered too if I hadn't just had a baby in Jan.

Got DooM Eternal Preordered though. I'll have Cyberpunk as well.
Damn, watch out for that baby, they start off cute and friendly but then get big and nick your stuff, especially your hidden batteries that you bought for your control pad.

(P.S, doesnt matter where you hide stuff, they'll find it)

Good luck!

Hostile_18

Banned
I'd have all those games preordered too if I hadn't just had a baby in Jan.

Got DooM Eternal Preordered though. I'll have Cyberpunk as well.

Yeah I think they are all guaranteed to be quality (to varying degrees) with the possible exception of Avengers but even if it's terrible I'm a big MCU fan and enjoyed Crystal Dynamics previous works so I'll still get lots of enjoyment out of it.

Best year for gaming in a long time 😁

That TV spot is brutal and I'm 95% certain it's the work if a woman. They didn't want to shoot it down because she'd cry SEXISM so they just put it out for the internet to decide. I have a hard time believing that they've been hitting all the marks with ease only to fuck up so spectacularly this close to launch.

What the hell are you going on about hahaha. This sounds like the ramblings of a lunatic.

Haven't played 2016, should I go straight to this one?

afaik it's a direct sequel if you care about the story and you may be asking is the story good? It's simplistic but honestly it feels nice to know all the things about the Doomslayer just being a fucking bad ass. Go play the 2016 one, soundtrack and gameplay carry the game easily.

edit: if you want to know what happened before the 2016 version, story wise, the short is
you're a bad ass marine that has a talent for slaying demons after UAC on Mars and its moons made experiments that unleashed demons all over and you reach a point that the only way to keep them in Hell is to fight them there eternally and you're sealed in there and thats when you wake up at the start of 2016.

Last edited:
What the hell are you going on about hahaha. This sounds like the ramblings of a lunatic.

I'm fine, thanks for asking. If you really think a dude pitched "Doom commercial with rap music (cause that's what the kids are into) and empowering words like 'courage' and 'defiance'" you probably have never met anyone in marketing.

Ixion

I'm fine, thanks for asking. If you really think a dude pitched "Doom commercial with rap music (cause that's what the kids are into) and empowering words like 'courage' and 'defiance'" you probably have never met anyone in marketing.

Yeah, whether it was a guy or gal, that commercial was obviously just created for mass appeal by marketing. They probably figured using a hip-hop song would give off some of Doom's edgy vibes, while also being more hip and inviting than using Meshuggah or something. Hard Rock/Metal is still very much alive and thriving these days, but not really in a mainstream sense. Hip-Hop basically took over that role in these last ten years, and so Bethesda's marketing department obviously wants Doom to be as hip as possible.

makaveli60

Yeah, whether it was a guy or gal, that commercial was obviously just created for mass appeal by marketing. They probably figured using a hip-hop song would give off some of Doom's edgy vibes, while also being more hip and inviting than using Meshuggah or something. Hard Rock/Metal is still very much alive and thriving these days, but not really in a mainstream sense. Hip-Hop basically took over that role in these last ten years, and so Bethesda's marketing department obviously wants Doom to be as hip as possible.
At least they should have used some real hiphop not this shit what is called nowadays that but has nothing to do with it, just simple shit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have it ordered for PS4, but I almost wish the Switch version was arriving the same day. I wonder why the Switch version is always the delayed version. Having it portable like that would have been awesome to have around launch. Now I feel I'm too impatient, but I got the PS4 version for a good price off Amazon. Its still $10 cheaper for every version besides the Switch version.

Nymphae

Banned
I have it ordered for PS4, but I almost wish the Switch version was arriving the same day. I wonder why the Switch version is always the delayed version. Having it portable like that would have been awesome to have around launch. Now I feel I'm too impatient, but I got the PS4 version for a good price off Amazon. Its still $10 cheaper for every version besides the Switch version.

I pre-ordered at EB because it's right near my house, and it comes with one of those lunchbox tins lol

mzkGa7A.jpg

MiguelItUp

At least they should have used some real hiphop not this shit what is called nowadays that but has nothing to do with it, just simple shit.
That was my issue with it! Like, sure, not the DOOM vibe at all, but this is clearly trying to hit the mass appeal. That's fine and all that, but I think the song choice is just incredibly lame. That with the editing of the video, it just doesn't feel right, it feels like the whole hype of the video falls flat.

Ixion

That was my issue with it! Like, sure, not the DOOM vibe at all, but this is clearly trying to hit the mass appeal. That's fine and all that, but I think the song choice is just incredibly lame. That with the editing of the video, it just doesn't feel right, it feels like the whole hype of the video falls flat.

Yeah, and I remember when a decent amount of people were angry that DOOM 2016's tv spot used the Refused song, which was too Punk and not Metal enough for some people. But that fit so much better than whatever this was. Not to mention it was just a much cooler, more impressive live-action ad.

Tesseract

Banned
I might be the only one who doesn't care too much about level design, either it's open ended or not doesn't matter to me, I've played dozens of linear levels and still had no major issues with them, I'll take a linear but fun game over a non-linear snoozefest any day.

lol.jpg

(disclaimer, this image is not about Doom Eternal or Doom 2016)

holy fuck i laughed hard

Top Bottom