• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal - March 20!

MiguelItUp

Doom multiplayer has never been good, and I can't see this breaking the mold. It isn't necessary either. Would rather see that time and resources spent on the campaign.
giphy.gif

MiguelItUp

1/2 were monumental for multiplayer. DOOM created and coined the term Deathmatch. Not only that, but it was the first taste of online FPS competitive and cooperative multiplayer. It created insane waves in the gaming community at the time. It also went on to influence many future titles.

I enjoyed 2016's personally, but it suffered a major identity crisis. It wanted to be an arena shooter, but it also wanted to be a more modern shooter and took on weird game mechanics. It really could've been better, and should've been. But in the long run it was decent for what it was, I mean, they felt something good about it as all the DLC was for it. I just wish it was all developed in-house and was more thought out.

BattleMode really left a bad taste in my mouth at first. But it's sounding and looking better and better IMO. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm just a man in my mid-thirties that wants more gory FPS arena shooters.

TexMex

I would never deny their influence, I just thought they weren't fun. Wasn't til Quake that they found their footing to me.

Don't want it to be bad of course, I agree I want an arena shooter comeback.

MiguelItUp

I would never deny their influence, I just thought they weren't fun. Wasn't til Quake that they found their footing to me.

Thank God! Haha. I hear ya, I was never fortunate enough to enjoy the multiplayer and online glory at the time. The first time I played something online it was the first Quake and it blew my mind. When my family got our first PC, Quake II had recently come out, and my life was over, lmao.

I'd hope not! Congrats, with those few words I now love you, haha. I REALLY want it to happen. I firmly believe it will, it's just a matter of time.

V4skunk

Banned

Arena shooters tried to come back. Both Quake Champions and Unreal Tournament 4 failed.

MiguelItUp

Arena shooters tried to come back. Both Quake Champions and Unreal Tournament 4 failed.
Not necessarily. Both games aren't comparable and weren't failures. Well, at least UT wasn't.

Quake Champions had an unfortunate personality disorder from the get-go. Along with terrible marketing that continues to plague it. Tons of people don't even know of its existence. Saber Interactive also stopped co-developing, so now it sits on id, who have been very busy with Eternal. They're still giving it attention, but it's on life support at this point.

UT was on the right track, being open and all. The thing is they froze development after Battle Royale's success.

That's also just two titles, I don't think a proper attempt was tried. Not yet.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

He has a fair point, up until very close to the release of Doom ID/Bethesda desperately tried to convince us that Doom is all about multiplayer, always has been, which was simply one huge pile of forced lies, and the interest in the game was low as hell back then. So then they started pulling out some SP gameplays that changed the situation, with that final nail to the coffin that was that 200FPS PC footage, which elevated the hype level through the roof. I mean, even if you just search Doom on YT MP gameplays are nowhere to be found, simply because nobody plays it.. Even ID themselves don't bother with MP anymore with Eternal, they know people are not interested in it, sure the it will be there, but just for the sake of being there, so people won't bitch how it has less content than original, how they took it away etc., but if there wasn't any MP at all back in 2016 no one would even bother/notice. It's like the opposite situation as with Battlefields's SP basically.

Last edited:
Problem with arena shooters, maybe they could of come back if they actually put in the same effort as with other games. Quake Champions which I expected from the most...its an early access title with a few "heroes" that get added once in a few months, as far as I know they said in an interview over a year ago that the game isnt final yet, its all beta testing still.

UT 4...fans working alongside developers...its such a half assed effort from Epic. Its like they created 3 characters and then a few maps and I dont even know if anything changed since then. Neither game was given AAA development to make it into a complete title. By the time QC gets out of beta people would even forget it ever existed.

Bolivar687

Banned
I played the doom 2016 mp for a bit it was meh.

It still blows my mind that they made it load out based and playing as monsters. The Campaign was so perfect because it literally was "Doom 2016," I don't know why they didn't just make a back to basics arena multiplayer shooter.

AeonGaidenRaiden AeonGaidenRaiden it's indeed also hilarious how half assed the new UT is. I played it a bit when it was early and even then, it was just like "really?"

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Really ;)? You know you will go Xbox, no shame in not pretending you are choosing between the two and it will be a fine choice regardless.
Quite the presumption there from you. I am debating PS4 because of VR or the 4k option with my Xbox. Two valid reasons for both. There will be some sort of VR add on at some point am guessing

johntown

Banned
I might try nightmare after I beat doom in normal mode first.
2016 I did my first run on ultra violence and there were a few hard parts but the majority was not too hard. I tried ultra nightmare a few times for the trophy (without glitches) and could not get past that but I was playing too cautiously and I think that was part of the problem.

My only concern with nightmare is getting too far into game and getting stuck on something. Maybe because I missed certain upgrades etc. Still not sure but it will either be nightmare or ultra violence.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Who is going to try their first run on Nightmare? I am highly considering it.

I am not good enough at shooters to do that. I will just go on UV and work towards 100%. Slowly learn the paths and what not, enjoy my first run. Then if there is an achievement I will work towards the higher difficulties. Unless it is like Wolfenstein II where they shat all over the bed on level design, enemy placement, and forced you to play it in a single sitting without dying once on the hardest difficulty. Fuck that shit.

Russian Women#1

Neo Member
2016 I did my first run on ultra violence and there were a few hard parts but the majority was not too hard. I tried ultra nightmare a few times for the trophy (without glitches) and could not get past that but I was playing too cautiously and I think that was part of the problem.

My only concern with nightmare is getting too far into game and getting stuck on something. Maybe because I missed certain upgrades etc. Still not sure but it will either be nightmare or ultra violence.
you must be a good doom player to have tried to it on ultra violence first run I never played the doom series before 2016 so I just did the normal mode and went to the next game but I might try harder modes this time.

johntown

Banned
you must be a good doom player to have tried to it on ultra violence first run I never played the doom series before 2016 so I just did the normal mode and went to the next game but I might try harder modes this time.
I played some of Doom 3 but never finished it. I'm above average at FPS games in general but generally I like a good challenge as long as its fair. Don't get me wrong here if I play nightmare I expect to die a lot but get through it eventually.

The guy above you mentioned Wolfenstein and I won't play that on Uber difficulty because I don't consider parts of those games fair and some of the boss fights are just down right annoying.

Ixion

Who is going to try their first run on Nightmare? I am highly considering it.

Nah, I'll start on Hurt Me Plenty like I did with Doom 2016 so that there's more replay value. Then I can replay on Ultra-Violence, and then on Nightmare. And then just keep playing on Nightmare for any new playthroughs after that.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
In the UK GAME are doing a steelbook on preorders, thatgamecollection are giviing away pins. But the latter doesnt come with doom 64. Ordered both.

I have been buying digital games for PS4 almost since the launch, but I may have to get Doom Eternal's physical copy just because the cover is so damn cool. I mean LOOK AT IT:

aiJW1JF.jpg

Top Bottom