• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom review codes not getting sent out until launch day?

AHA-Lambda

Just heard this on the latest episode of Podquisition with Jim Sterling, at 43 mins in one of them claims that review code is not getting sent until launch day

Now this may not be everyone of course but it sounds kinda broad from the way they describe it? So, as such caveat emptor of course.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/podquisition-episode-77-radiohead/
Lock if old.

EDIT: Ah I'm still listening to it and an email from Bethesda regarding the codes was read out, and the claim they give was it's due to the game being so reliant on MP and SnapMap, and the servers for which will not be up until launch day.

Hmmm.....

So yeah, Beth won't put up multiplayer servers online until the launch day and reviewers don't get to play campaign anyway. Red flags up!

Meh, we went through this same song and dance with The New Order, everyone freaking out at every negative impression on launch day. I have faith in them to create compelling campaigns, so I don''t think it's time to freak out.

Dooooooooooooooooommmmmm

I'll still be there day one, red box will carry the game so it'll be good when I take a small break from uncharted

Hopefully the story is alright

DooMAGE

It's not the first game or publisher to do this ... and won't be the last.
The online servers will be online only on launch day.
Reviewers have to wait.

That's kinda concerning, even though there's been a lot of coverage of the game and even from Bethesda themselves. The fact that they're not giving out reviews codes when they did for Fallout 4 is making me uncertain.

Ooccoo

You know why? Because the campaign will get slammed. Take my word for it. It's nothing like the classic Dooms. But who buys first-person shooters for the campaigns right?

Varth

You know why? Because the campaign will get slammed. Take my word for it. It's nothing like the classic Dooms. But who buys first-person shooters for the campaigns right?

More like: going by the beta, who's gonna buy this for MP? Seems like it managed to rile up everyone for opposite reasons.

icespide

Banned
folks read too much into embargo dates and advanced copy timing. I agree a review embargo like 2-3 weeks out is a pretty good sign of confidence in a good game, but a last minute embargo or lack of advanced copies doesn't ALWAYS mean the game is bad

z3phon

I don't think we need to wait till the reviews to get an idea of how the game will be. The beta and everything we've seen on the game already makes it obvious of how the game is.
It's funny how people mostly criticize reviews yet rely on them so much instead of forming their own opinions.

Eusis

Might've for this one if it had been more akin to those. Not right now admittedly, but still.

And yeah, definitely isn't inspiring confidence, though I can see a lot of publishers getting this idea in their head as time goes on.

Gator86

Game has always looked like the definition of a rental. The garbage MP sure doesn't help its case to be more than that. It'll keep sitting in the GameFly queue as was always its destiny.

giphy.gif

I had thought beta impressions were overall glowing, though?

Quite the opposite from what I've seen, the vast majority of people were not happy with the multiplayer. Compared it to a less fun Halo essentially.

That being said I personally am still hopeful for the singleplayer. That plus snapmap are honestly all I care about, the multiplayer is just an addon that I might mess around with occasionally. (Then later not at all because no way am I buying a $40 multiplayer only season pass >_>)

BiggNife

Yeah, they were talking about this on the Beastcast too.

It seems super weird to me because all of the campaign stuff I've seen looks really good. But also I was one of like five people who didn't think the MP beta was bad so maybe I'm just optimistic, idk

jaina

Yes, Giant Bomb mentioned that as well.
But just be cautious with the game, not negative right away.

Top Bottom