• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Switch end credit graphics looked amazing in handheld

Pasedo

Finished Doom today predominantly in handheld mode. The graphics at the end credits looked amazing. I don't think it was video and was rendered in real time as it looked too sharp and quality was too good...though some parts looked like it may have been video footage. As I was watching it I was thinking how brilliant a handheld would be once in game graphics was always at that quality. I loved the game and found myself wishing I had played it through with those end credit graphics. We're probably some years away before we get there though?..

you are not getting good graphics on the switch.... sales they compare it to the number 1 and 2, but if you watch any DF video, they excuse the tons of short comings and just say well its portable.
You want graphics, buy the number 1 and 2... want portability...buy the handheld switch.

The Hermit

you are not getting good graphics on the switch.... sales they compare it to the number 1 and 2, but if you watch any DF video, they excuse the tons of short comings and just say well its portable.
You want graphics, buy the number 1 and 2... want portability...buy the handheld switch.

Salty much?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

This is nonsense, the switch has great graphics.

Velius

Banned

"I don't have a Switch."

Uhhhh, the PC version looks like that on max settings, plus you get 60fps+

Isn't the credits video just a recording of in-engine stills?

Pasedo

Uhhhh, the PC version looks like that on max settings, plus you get 60fps+

Isn't the credits video just a recording of in-engine stills?

Yep for sure. I started playing it on PC initially but started it again and finished it on Switch.. It seems rendered to me. Something I suspect the Switch can achieve when it's just still rendering of models and environments but not in game. I guess my point is that it gave me a sense of PC Max level graphics on a handheld and one day we will have that. Just a matter of when.

Carlius

Banned

what a bitch

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah if you have excellent graphics in portable multiplayer be you get half hour battery life. At the moment.

I’m just happy it’s even on the switch in the first place.

And I do want to get doom for the switch. The videos and screen shots shown look amazing. I am not all about graphics. That said Doom looks great and I love the switch. I mostly play in handheld mode anyway.

Does the ingame text pose a problem in handheld mode ?

Donnie

That's just weird..

Valdega

I still don't understand why you'd ever want to play Doom on the Switch. Doom is a fast-paced twitch shooter. The Switch port looks ugly, runs badly and controls poorly. If you took the Switch version and put it on any other platform, people would be rioting over how bad it was. Yet, because the Switch version is portable, all of these issues that have a huge impact on the game experience no longer matter?

Now imagine that at a native 1080p and 60fps. That's the real Doom.

Having a portable Doom is a cool novelty, but it does the game a massive disservice. That said, it's free money for Bethesda so whatever - I understand why they did it.

I'm more interested in seeing how Wolfenstein 2 turns out. Because if a 2016 game had to drop down to 376p/sub-30fps, how is a 2017 game going to look and run?

Peterc

If you want gfx, you buy a high end pc, not a console.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I still don't understand why you'd ever want to play Doom on the Switch. Doom is a fast-paced twitch shooter. The Switch port looks ugly, runs badly and controls poorly. If you took the Switch version and put it on any other platform, people would be rioting over how bad it was. Yet, because the Switch version is portable, all of these issues that have a huge impact on the game experience no longer matter?

Ok.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I want to get doom on switch just to marvel at the handheld graphical accomplishment it is.
But I already have it on my 1X @ 1080p 60fps (which will probably be 4k 60fps soon).

Alebrije

It's nice to have Doom on Switch and really hope it sells well so Bethesda moves Fallout 4 to it. But after playing it on PS4 it's a let down, the game is playable and entertaining but limited. it's nice to have a portable doom, but not more than that.

Senua

Having a portable Doom is a cool novelty, but it does the game a massive disservice. That said, it's free money for Bethesda so whatever - I understand why they did it.

I'm more interested in seeing how Wolfenstein 2 turns out. Because if a 2016 game had to drop down to 376p/sub-30fps, how is a 2017 game going to look and run?

1080p 60fps is real doom?

Try 4k 144fps.

Rellik

Would you rather they not bother and not put the game on this handheld?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Try 4k 144fps.

Diminishing returns sir ;). The gap between 720-900p (dynamic resolution included) at 30 FPS and 1080p@60 FPS (including the reduced graphical quality in the former) is a bit larger than the one between the latter and 4K@144 FPS users and also a lot more approachable to the majority of gamers.

Donnie

Which is why some might suggest you play it on a decent PC if you want native 1080p or above (PS4 isn't true native 1080p for Doom). Or if you want portability you play it on Switch.

I mean this is going by the crazy logic some people on here seem to use which assumes that every person has every console plus a PC and chooses the version of the game they want depending on what they want from it. In reality most people have one console, or maybe two, or one console and a PC. So the whole "I don't understand why people want game X on console X" is inherently moronic, but never mind :)

Senua

Diminishing returns sir ;). The gap between 720-900p (dynamic resolution included) at 30 FPS and 1080p@60 FPS (including the reduced graphical quality in the former) is a bit larger than the one between the latter and 4K@144 FPS users and also a lot more approachable to the majority of gamers.

Keep downplaying boy.

Try 4k 144fps.

My posture-destroying days of sitting at a desk to play games are over, so no thanks. Comfy couch for life. ;)

Which is why some might suggest you play it on a decent PC if you want native 1080p or above (PS4 isn't true native 1080p for Doom). Or if you want portability you play it on Switch.
There's WAY more than just resolution sacrificed in the name of portability, but I'm not going to get into it. Like I said, I understand why Bethesda did it. It's easy money.

What is this even?

Bit-Bit

Mmm, salty tears.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Played it more (hand held) and don’t give a crap the game looks great to me. Fast enough and smooth enough not to be a big deal and during action packed parts I don’t notice the resolution drops as too busy trying to kill demons. Only sometimes I notice the fuzzy image during the quiet sections. And one low res texture. Fuck it playing this game on a flight is excellent

Last edited:

Donnie

My posture-destroying days of sitting at a desk to play games are over, so no thanks. Comfy couch for life. ;)

There's WAY more than just resolution sacrificed in the name of portability, but I'm not going to get into it. Like I said, I understand why Bethesda did it. It's easy money.

There is way more than just a resolution difference between the highest end PC version of Doom and the PS4/XBx versions. Switch just drops things even further, but unlike the rest at least it offers something the others don't. Easy money is also the reason all three consoles versions were made, in fact money full stop is the reason the game was made at all.

In reality this really just comes down to what platform you have and/or how you want to play the game. Trying to downplay the game on a certain platform because it doesn't match up to some predetermined level of graphics to me is just pointless snobbery, which is why I was trying to make a point with my PC comment.

Last edited:
There is way more than just a resolution difference between the highest end PC version of Doom and the PS4/XBx versions. Switch just drops things even further, but unlike the rest at least it offers something the others don't. Easy money is also the reason all three consoles versions were made, in fact money full stop is the reason the game was made at all.

In reality this really just comes down to what platform you have and/or how you want to play the game. Trying to downplay the game on a certain platform because it doesn't match up to some predetermined level of graphics to me is just pointless snobbery, which is why I was trying to make a point with my PC comment.
It goes without saying that your purchase comes down to what platform you own. But I doubt there are many working adults out there that don't have a working PC/Mac but do have a Switch. It's not a controversial statement to say that the Switch version of Doom is, unequivocally, the worst version of the game. I've already acknowledged that portability is a cool novelty, but it comes at the cost of literally every other aspect. It's not downplaying, or "pointless snobbery" to point out that the game was designed to look AND play (60fps) a certain way at a certain resolution (1080p) - it's not just 'some' predetermined level of graphics, it's THE predetermined level of graphics and gameplay by id themselves. Not a port house like Panic Button.
Hell, this thread was made because OP was in awe of presentation of the gameplay in the credits and how much of a jump it was over the actual Switch gameplay. This entire thread was founded on what you perceive to be "pointless snobbery" so I don't know what you're arguing about and quite frankly I don't care anymore because this is just a waste of time.

Top Bottom