• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

LCGeek

formerly sane
What's up with the awfully laggy MP footage?
I was planning on giving it a second chance but man that looked rough... and you'll be playing vs 99.9% wifi players.

Unless it's p2p it's means nothing more than it already does. Most people networking have queue problems that cause latency, packet, and bloat problems they never fix yet you're not complaing about that either be it ethernet or wifi.

bon

Sad that the gyro aiming turned out to be a false alarm. That honestly would have made it a day 1 purchase for me.

Memories..

f97.gif

God damn you, this made me spit up my coffee xD

That being said, I really like that older two-tone Doom 64 style logo with the mechanization top. That actually is a fun font imo.

Does this mean we will also get Quake ala Quake 64? I've dicked around on Quake Champions its not totally horrible, the 'specials' or whatever imo effect the battle very little, most of all the skill comes from that old school twitch shooting.

PantsuJo

God damn you, this made me spit up my coffee xD

That being said, I really like that older two-tone Doom 64 style logo with the mechanization top. That actually is a fun font imo.

Does this mean we will also get Quake ala Quake 64? I've dicked around on Quake Champions its not totally horrible, the 'specials' or whatever imo effect the battle very little, most of all the skill comes from that old school twitch shooting.
I hope Bethesda will consider reboot Quake just like Doom and Wolfenstein.

Honestly, this gen needs a proper single-player Quake, despite the good multiplayer action of Quake Champions.

I can't choose between the settings: demons or Stroggs? Quake 1 or 2? I love them both lol

Sad that the gyro aiming turned out to be a false alarm. That honestly would have made it a day 1 purchase for me.

Agreed. Day 1 purchase for me. If they implemented it in a patch, I'd likely pick it up. I can't go back to slow dual analog.

CaVaYeRo

I actually don't know about gyro. Don't get me wrong, I love gyro whenever possible, but in this case the experience seems so tailored to sticks... I'd add them perhaps just when in precision aiming. It's not Zelda, nor Splatoon, if you know what I mean. That said, it's a shame they don't use DualShock motion controls for shooters - that'd make a more obvious transition to Switch for these multiplatform hits.

I actually don't know about gyro. Don't get me wrong, I love gyro whenever possible, but in this case the experience seems so tailored to sticks... I'd add them perhaps just when in precision aiming. It's not Zelda, nor Splatoon, if you know what I mean. That said, it's a shame they don't use DualShock motion controls for shooters - that'd make a more obvious transition to Switch for these multiplatform hits.

Plays great with giro on steam controller

ajim

Played single player on ps4, never got to do multi-player because no ps+, so I'm excited to try multi on switch :)

Loaded Man

Best Buy shipped out my copy today. I can't wait to play it on Friday! I never got a chance to play the PS4 version so I'm looking forward to it.

I received my copy early and have played a couple of hours. It's a really impressive technical feat to play this in handheld mode, and I think the Joy-Con both offer good enough controls to make aiming work. I haven't had any trouble taking down groups of enemies competently, deftly jumping around and utilising melee attacks where necessary.

The game does indeed utilise the docked GPU clocks. Comparing two screenshots reveals a noticeable bump in resolution. I suspect when docked the game is either locked at 720p or is closer to 720p. The actual HUD isn't scaled beyond the same 720p found in handheld mode however, which is disappointing. Text is crisp on the Switch's display but blurry upscaled to a higher resolution TV.

Pixel counting one handheld mode screenshot that I took, where stair-stepping around the edge of this one texture is obvious, netted 540p. But note that the game could be utilising dynamic resolution scaling. I haven't found enough easy edges to do any more reliable pixel counting.

It's impressive, and I find it plays well, but I also notice that when docked the game isn't really pushing the Switch. Putting my face next to the dock after ten minutes of play, the fans spin at a much quieter and slower rate than I was expecting. By comparison, Super Mario Odyssey pushes the Switch hard and the fans tend to spin at their maximum rate, also producing audible noise near the system.

I don't know. Either whatever he is using to record doubles the frames on the Switch version or this is shenanigans (or youtube can't run 30fps in 60fps mode and just double the frames).

I believe it's from the same YouTube channel that made hoax comparisons in the pass, for example for Snake Pass. Some suspect they just set the PC version to different settings for all the consoles.

Si2k78

I received my copy early and have played a couple of hours. It's a really impressive technical feat to play this in handheld mode, and I think the Joy-Con both offer good enough controls to make aiming work. I haven't had any trouble taking down groups of enemies competently, deftly jumping around and utilising melee attacks where necessary.

The game does indeed utilise the docked GPU clocks. Comparing two screenshots reveals a noticeable bump in resolution. I suspect when docked the game is either locked at 720p or is closer to 720p. The actual HUD isn't scaled beyond the same 720p found in handheld mode however, which is disappointing. Text is crisp on the Switch's display but blurry upscaled to a higher resolution TV.

Pixel counting one handheld mode screenshot that I took, where stair-stepping around the edge of this one texture is obvious, netted 540p. But note that the game could be utilising dynamic resolution scaling. I haven't found enough easy edges to do any more reliable pixel counting.

It's impressive, and I find it plays well, but I also notice that when docked the game isn't really pushing the Switch. Putting my face next to the dock after ten minutes of play, the fans spin at a much quieter and slower rate than I was expecting. By comparison, Super Mario Odyssey pushes the Switch hard and the fans tend to spin at their maximum rate, also producing audible noise near the system.

I believe it's from the same YouTube channel that made hoax comparisons in the pass, for example for Snake Pass. Some suspect they just set the PC version to different settings for all the consoles.

Awesome. Thanks for the detailed assessment. Seeing as how the docked mode isn’t pushing the switch to the max, I’m hoping for a post-launch patch along the lines as what Minecraft got to push the resolution closer to 1080p.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If that's the real deal, then that's fucking sick. Didn't think the Switch could pull that off tbh. But then again, I guess they wouldn't have done the port if it was too much of a hassle.

Looks good all thngs considered. But looking forward 2 years what would this look like?

Doom, Skyrim and LA Noire in one week. I'm happy.

I hope these games pave the way for more Bethesda ports. Dishonored 2, Evil Within 2, Fallout 4... Bring them all in Beth, we'd gladly buy them all.
And then Xenoblade 2 two weeks later.

Absolute madness.

Top Bottom