• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

Renna Hazel

I don't think that the selection stacks up. Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games of all time, and Odyssey may well join that selection. Splatoon 2 is great. Fire Emblem is a musou game, and fans will like it. I'd personally add Mario + Rabbids to the list as well. It's a very good first year for Nintendo titles.

I'm glad that people are enjoying their Switches. I am too. It irks me a little bit when people use a bunch of late ports to support their claim that the system has the best lineup ever. Looking at the PS2 list, I see 5+ landmark titles, and I don't think that the Switch's original lineup is able to match the diversity on display here.

I agree that ports shouldn't be mentioned when comparing the lineups like that. With that said, I say Switch should still win if Mario Odyssey is at least as good as Sunshine (the weakest 3D Mario). I can see why one would disagree though.

SuomiDude

Will buy this, but not on launch... because I don't have a Switch yet :( Will get it after Christmas though, hopefully there's a price drop before that though (talking about the console, but I don't think I need to buy the full price for the game either at that point).

Zedark

Millions for Doom on a Nintendo console a year later for $60? Doubt it. I can't wait to try it, but at a reasonable price.
Don't think he said that Doom Switch would sell millions, at least not here (not sure what hidden post history he has in his closet!).

Still $40. As a console version this is objectively worse in every way, it having a handheld version is its sole advantage and why I'm buying it. For $60 that's silly, especially as the game's been as low as $12 elsewhere for a much better playing version that notably doesn't half the frame rate.

If the Switch was anyone's main console, sure, but be real. It's been readily available for 1/5th of the price on other systems that play it better. Being able to play it at 30 FPS on a console isn't worth $60 to me and sounds silly to defend.

What are the prices of Skyrim in the past six years it's been out? $5?

The MSRP for handheld games is no longer $40. The Vita is dead, 3DS on its way out.

Millions for Doom on a Nintendo console a year later for $60? Doubt it. I can't wait to try it, but at a reasonable price.

Many =/= millions

Don't think he said that Doom Switch would sell millions, at least not here (not sure what hidden post history he has in his closet!).

I have no such skeletons in my closet thank you very much :)

In general I shy away from making predictions, especially with concrete numbers. Mainly cause I suck at doing so.

SuperSah

Banned
I own this on PS4 and would prefer Switch as I hardly have time to settle down in front of a screen anymore.

My only issue is, yes, the price. You can buy the PS4 copy in the UK for £9.99. Amazon is selling the Switch game for 5x the price of that. I'd of insta-bought at even £29.99, but alas, until then I'll wait for a sale.

nordique

I own this on PS4 and would prefer Switch as I hardly have time to settle down in front of a screen anymore.

My only issue is, yes, the price. You can buy the PS4 copy in the UK for £9.99. Amazon is selling the Switch game for 5x the price of that. I'd of insta-bought at even £29.99, but alas, until then I'll wait for a sale.

It's cheaper sure but if you're not going to play it on ps4 (wont have time to) then it's a waste of Money just sitting there. It's only effectively cheaper if you will play it and beat it on the ps4

If you're actually going to get use of it on the switch then it's more worth it.

Same situation I'm in - have a ps4 but last time I had time to sit in front of a TV and play a video game to completion was uncharted 4 when it came out. I understand not having time to sit in front of the big screen anymore and transitioning to a more portable life so I can at least get some gaming in.

Might as well spend more on the switch version and actually play it, sell it and move on to the next switch game :)

I really really really really really dont get how yall out here buying Ninty MSRP games with no GCU.....

I mean yall damn near drop 150+ on games a year, why the hell do you not have GCU?

Josh5890

It's essentially the top PS2 games for the entire year. GT3, for example, launched in April or July, depending on where you lived.

The back half of 2001 was great for the PS2, but you had to suffer through 2000 and the first half of 2001 to get there. PS2 had a pretty terrible launch window.

True but that system was hard to get for the first 6-8 months in the US so it could get away with a poor launch window.

I really really really really really dont get how yall out here buying Ninty MSRP games with no GCU.....

I mean yall damn near drop 150+ on games a year, why the hell do you not have GCU?

Amen to that!

Jyester

Fair enough! I played BoTW on Wii U and still have only played 2 games on Switch- Splatoon 2 and Pokken Tournament Deluxe. I can't comment therefore on any of the other games though ARMS and Mario + Rabbids in particular seem to have struck a chord with a lot of people, and both were absent from that original list along with Pokken. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks which will see my library of games double lol.

But yeah only time will tell if this lineup goes down in history, like I said the fact that it's even debatable at all is impressive. We'll just have to wait and see, though obviously opinions and all, there's still at least one user's here who believes Nintendo haven't improved their output of quality games from the first year of the Wii U at all so like always we get all sorts of opinions eh?

Albeit I don't see why people liking ports/remakes/remasters 'irks' you. The only game I played on the PS4's first year that I really, really liked was The Last of Us for example, and I will have to apologise in advance for if/when I buy Skyrim on Switch and if I like it and bring it up, because for one reason or another I just haven't played that game yet. It's nothing to get upset about surely?
I agree that the PS4 launch was thoroughly underwhelming. And I am totally fine with people getting excited for remakes/ports. I am excited for Doom and Skyrim as well. I was purely referring to people that claim the fall line-up for Switch matches the PS2 offering, and using a bunch of ports to justify said claim.

That said, the holiday season is looking pretty good.

After watching the latest interview (the one with the new footage) and the dev talking about his experience with Doom64, I fired up DOOM 64 on my beloved N64 and, man, what a blast the game still is.
Suprisingly it also looks pretty good on a 46" LED TV (I just enhanced the sharpness).
The problem is that my N64 controllers are beaten to hell and back and malfunction often.

what do you think? is there any chance we will see Doom64 on the switch someday?
Maybe as a download content for the Doom switch version or on VC?

Maxrunner do you want to make the thread for this? This is definitely big news, especially when they had previously said they would not add motion controls.

I saw the options screen, but I don't want to get too excited yet. I feel like Nintendo and Bethesda would have advertised this feature. Maybe it's just basic "waggle" for melee moves or something and not full gyro? Boy I hope it's really gyro aiming....

Maxrunner

I saw the options screen, but I don't want to get too excited yet. I feel like Nintendo and Bethesda would have advertised this feature. Maybe it's just basic "waggle" for melee moves or something and not full gyro? Boy I hope it's really gyro aiming....

I assume it would work like in zelda bow aiming?

I think the fact that this was not present on the options screen in previous builds should suggest it's more than that.

I made the thread here, I hope I didn't jump the gun too much

I just got an update from Amazon for my delivery date: Nov. 14th.

I wonder why I can't get release day delivery even though I preordered months ago?

Neiteio

There aren't any melee moves unless you're counting the Glory Kills, but those are more like canned animations you trigger with a button press. I suppose that could be activated with a "waggle." It could still be BotW-style aiming, though, which would be ideal. BotW-style aiming could help with aim adjust.

There aren't any melee moves unless you're counting the Glory Kills, but those are more like canned animations you trigger with a button press. I suppose that could be activated with a "waggle." It could still be BotW-style aiming, though, which would be ideal. BotW-style aiming could help with aim adjust.

Gyro has since been confirmed to not be in. It's motion for glory kills like I suspected.

From a Gaffer who played the demo last month:

That motion controls option was in the first preview build journalists saw last month. 99 percent sure the only thing it does is let you shake the right JoyCon to do melee attacks and Glory Kills. I played the game with the motion controls setting on and that's all it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZqoNEZqXuc

spad3

Bethesda going balls deep this holiday.

Evil Within 2
Wolfenstein 2
DOOM VFR
DOOM Switch
Skyrim PSVR
Skyrim Switch
Fallout 4 VR

All within a timeframe of two months

Neiteio

Bethesda going balls deep this holiday.

Evil Within 2
Wolfenstein 2
DOOM VFR
DOOM Switch
Skyrim PSVR
Skyrim Switch
Fallout 4 VR

All within a timeframe of two months
In terms of IPs that they actively release, Bethesda has possibly the strongest catalogue outside of Nintendo:

- Elder Scrolls
- Fallout
- The Evil Within
- Dishonored
- Prey
- DOOM
- Wolfenstein
- Quake

Josh5890

In terms of IPs that they actively release, Bethesda has possibly the strongest catalogue outside of Nintendo:

- Elder Scrolls
- Fallout
- The Evil Within
- Dishonored
- Prey
- DOOM
- Wolfenstein
- Quake

It is definitely one of the hottest on the block at the moment.

Lutherian

Awww... DooM 64 need that love !

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/921055681226125312

@DOOM
Over 20 years ago, DOOM 64 released on the Nintendo 64. On November 10, we're excited to bring #DOOM (2016) to #NintendoSwitch. #TBT

DMg1bD3W0AAlVPq.jpg

DMg-3fBUMAEy_Pb.jpg

Hurt me plenty if old.

Im getting this day one for sure.

Do we know if its even possible that they will include Doom 1 and 2 classics in this package as fully playable games or is that asking too much?

They keep mentioning DOOM 64 which is fine but what about us who had the Red DOOM cartridge on the Super Nintendo! Why Bethesda isn’t taking it back to the SNES days?

Top Bottom