• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

Floody

Way earlier than I was expecting,
I have a question is this going to require a stupid amount of storage space like the PS4 version does? Made the game pretty much a delete once done type of thing for me. Can see it being an even bigger problem for the Switch.

Cerium

Way earlier than I was expecting,
I have a question is this going to require a stupid amount of storage space like the PS4 version does? Made the game pretty much a delete once done type of thing for me. Can see it being an even bigger problem for the Switch.

Full campaign is on the cartridge, multiplayer is a separate download.

Floody

Full campaign is on the cartridge, multiplayer is a separate download.

Thanks! Great solution too if you can just not download it if you don't want to. Wish the PS4 version would do that, instead of taking up like 70+ GB.
Is the level creator thingy not on Switch? Or is it also a separate download?

Edit: Thanks again!

Cerium

Thanks! Great solution too if you can just not download it if you don't want to. Wish the PS4 version would do that, instead of taking up like 70+ GB.
Is the level creator thingy not on Switch? Or is it also a separate download?

Snapmap is the only missing feature.

Doom is definitely one of the best fps on the ps4, maybe Titanfall 2. Switch has an absolutely incredible lineup this holiday season. Historical. 2017 fall-holiday on switch is this plus a frickin Mario game:
630x.jpg

My wallet will be in pure pain.

That was a once in a lifetime lineup! Nothing comes close.

Renna Hazel

I might go back to it eventually but the initial experience soured it for me a bit. Too busy playing Stardew Valley for the first time, Golf Story, and soon Mario and maybe Fire Emblem warriors.

Well the game should remain active for years to come so you should be able to jump back in at any time. Did you try the single player at all or did you go straight to multi? Single player is a good way to ease into the game's mechanics and controls, but if you just can't manage the motion controls, the game is perfectly fine without them.

-shadow-

Honestly, with Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, DOOM, Wolfenstein II, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Disgaea 5 Complete, L.A. Noire, Skyrim (personally don't care, but you know) we have a pretty solid first year that easily beats it in my books. And that's not including any digital games either.

Honestly were only missing a good horror game and Character Action game, though I have no doubt both will eventually come.

Wil348

I don't think the prices for both Doom and Skyrim on Switch are unprecedented for Bethesda. I'm fairly sure that Fallout 4 GOTY Edition was $50 (even though you can find the base game for a quarter of that), and Skyrim SE was full price at launch even though the original versions could easily be purchased for $10 or less. Publishers will generally jack the price up on new SKU's, and in the Switch's case, it makes even more sense because of its status as a new platform. I don't think cartridge costs factor into this however, since they both apparently use the 16GB cart.

Regardless, I'm in day one for Doom, and maybe for Skyrim if I can scrape the money together. I'm not too chuffed with the prices but it is what is is I suppose.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
What’s up with the awfully laggy MP footage?
I was planning on giving it a second chance but man that looked rough... and you’ll be playing vs 99.9% wifi players

SP looks incredibly close to my PS4 experience visually-wise, hopefully it still feels good at 30fps, but that’s even more of a shame there’s no gyro support tho, hate dual analog for FPS but at least it’s more bearable when 60fps...

I wish there were plans for a gyro patch down the line, I am not playing a shooter with dual analog, on the other hand, L.A noire looks interesting control wise and since I've never played the original (even if I have it on PC) I might be buying that instead just for the gyro support

Yeah I would much, much rather play this with gyro, but I'm adaptable. I really hope enough people tweet Panic Button or id to request that (I don't have a Twitter myself sadly).

Isn't that picture inaccurate in terms of timeline and global releases? I remember there being issues with it the last time this comparison was brought up.

Jyester

Honestly, with Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, DOOM, Wolfenstein II, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Disgaea 5 Complete, L.A. Noire, Skyrim (personally don't care, but you know) we have a pretty solid first year that easily beats it in my books. And that's not including any digital games either.

Honestly were only missing a good horror game and Character Action game, though I have no doubt both will eventually come.
I'm with you in that I'm loving the line-up, but let's not get crazy. That PS2 lists features exclusives, at least five of which are all time classics. Doom, Wolfenstein, Disgaea, LA Noire and Skyrim come to Switch long after their release on other platforms. While I understand that this year is amazing if you haven't played these titles, that PS2 line-up (if accurate) is remarkable for its quality and the fact that they're all original titles.

I'm with you in that I'm loving the line-up, but let's not get crazy. That PS2 lists features exclusives, at least five of which are all time classics. Doom, Wolfenstein, Disgaea, LA Noire and Skyrim come to Switch long after their release on other platforms. While I understand that this year is amazing if you haven't played these titles, that PS2 line-up (if accurate) is remarkable for its quality and the fact that they're all original titles.

Why are you ignoring the first half of that list that is mostly original titles that are also exclusive?

Though to be honest as much as it's great that we're even having the discussion due to how strong the lineup this year is, these sorta things never go anywhere because people are so set in their ways they'll refuse to accept anything that even so much as challenges what they like/prefer as we can demonstrably see with the prevalence of the "Nothing comes close" phrase.

Jyester

Why are you ignoring the first half of that list that is mostly original titles that are also exclusive?

Though to be honest as much as it's great that we're even having the discussion due to how strong the lineup this year is, these sorta things never go anywhere because people are so set in their ways they'll refuse to accept anything that even so much as challenges what they like/prefer as we can demonstrably see with the prevalence of the "Nothing comes close" phrase.

I don't think that the selection stacks up. Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games of all time, and Odyssey may well join that selection. Splatoon 2 is great. Fire Emblem is a musou game, and fans will like it. I'd personally add Mario + Rabbids to the list as well. It's a very good first year for Nintendo titles.

I'm glad that people are enjoying their Switches. I am too. It irks me a little bit when people use a bunch of late ports to support their claim that the system has the best lineup ever. Looking at the PS2 list, I see 5+ landmark titles, and I don't think that the Switch's original lineup is able to match the diversity on display here.

Isn't that picture inaccurate in terms of timeline and global releases? I remember there being issues with it the last time this comparison was brought up.

It's essentially the top PS2 games for the entire year. GT3, for example, launched in April or July, depending on where you lived.

The back half of 2001 was great for the PS2, but you had to suffer through 2000 and the first half of 2001 to get there. PS2 had a pretty terrible launch window.

I don't think that the selection stacks up. Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games of all time, and Odyssey may well be. Splatoon 2 is great. Fire Emblem is a musou game, and fans will like it. I'd personally add Mario + Rabbids to the list as well. It's a very good first year for Nintendo titles.

I'm glad that people are enjoying their Switches. I am too. It irks me a little bit when people use a bunch of late ports to support their claim that the system has the best lineup ever. Looking at the PS2 list, I see 5+ landmark titles, and I don't think that the Switch's original lineup is able to match the diversity on display here.

Fair enough! I played BoTW on Wii U and still have only played 2 games on Switch- Splatoon 2 and Pokken Tournament Deluxe. I can't comment therefore on any of the other games though ARMS and Mario + Rabbids in particular seem to have struck a chord with a lot of people, and both were absent from that original list along with Pokken. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks which will see my library of games double lol.

But yeah only time will tell if this lineup goes down in history, like I said the fact that it's even debatable at all is impressive. We'll just have to wait and see, though obviously opinions and all, there's still at least one user's here who believes Nintendo haven't improved their output of quality games from the first year of the Wii U at all so like always we get all sorts of opinions eh?

Albeit I don't see why people liking ports/remakes/remasters 'irks' you. The only game I played on the PS4's first year that I really, really liked was The Last of Us for example, and I will have to apologise in advance for if/when I buy Skyrim on Switch and if I like it and bring it up, because for one reason or another I just haven't played that game yet. It's nothing to get upset about surely?

D.Lo

It's essentially the top PS2 games for the entire year. GT3, for example, launched in April or July, depending on where you lived.

The back half of 2001 was great for the PS2, but you had to suffer through 2000 and the first half of 2001 to get there. PS2 had a pretty terrible launch window.
It's like when people talk about the Dreamcast having the greatest launch ever, when by the US/EU/AU launch it was actually almost a year old at that point and that was a whole year of output dropped at once.

It's like when people talk about the Dreamcast having the greatest launch ever, when by the US/EU/AU launch it was actually almost a year old at that point and that was a whole year of output dropped at once.

Yeah. Thing is, at least parts of the world had a good DC launch and early lineup thereafter. The majority of PS2's year one was universally bad, everywhere.

I just can't get over no gyro. Unless reviews are glowing I'm gonna wait for a price drop

Have you played the game on another platform yet? This is one of the best games in general of the last 5 years IMO, so if you haven't tried it at all it's probably worth it, gyro or not. It feels as good to play as RE4 to me, and I'll probably replay it as often as that.

That price is hilarious and I cannot imagine defending it.

Do you know millions of PS4 and XB1 owners bought Skyrim last holiday season for $60? A game that, at the time, was 5 years old?

Why is everyone so angry about the price? It comes with the DLC from the season pass right? People still pay $60 for GTA V, Skyrim remastered was $60 last year. The game is just a year old isn't? What were you guys expecting?

Shiggy

Why is everyone so angry about the price? It comes with the DLC from the season pass right? People still pay $60 for GTA V, Skyrim remastered was $60 last year. The game is just a year old isn't? What were you guys expecting?

The game's just $30 on all other platforms. People were probably expecting something more in line with that for a late port.

The game's just $30 on all other platforms. People were probably expecting something more in line with that for a late port.

But those don't come with the DLC? This is in line with a Game of the Year edition or something similar. I get hoping for a cheaper price, but this really should have been expected.

But those don't come with the DLC? This is in line with a Game of the Year edition or something similar. I get hoping for a cheaper price, but this really should have been expected.

Nah the DLC is free for all platforms and was only multiplayer-related.

But regardless, this is standard practice with ports that aren't more than a couple years old. I'm not sure why people are surprised.

And guess what, people will buy it at this price.

An enhanced edition of a game? Sure, I wouldn't do it but I understand. Game isn't available in an accessible, cheap fashion otherwise for those owners without a PC and those two platforms are many people's main systems.

And you can say literally the exact same thing about DOOM on Switch (for people who don't have a PS4/XB1 too).

Have you played the game on another platform yet? This is one of the best games in general of the last 5 years IMO, so if you haven't tried it at all it's probably worth it, gyro or not. It feels as good to play as RE4 to me, and I'll probably replay it as often as that.

Do you know millions of PS4 and XB1 owners bought Skyrim last holiday season for $60? A game that, at the time, was 5 years old?
An enhanced edition of a game? Sure, I wouldn't do it but I understand. Game isn't available in an accessible, cheap fashion otherwise for those owners without a PC and those two platforms are many people's main systems.

Shiggy

They don't come with the DLC on disc, but you can download it all for free. On Switch you need to download the DLC anyway as it's part of the multiplayer.

Portable isn't enhanced? I mean I get performance is worse, but that doesn't change that a significant amount of time and energy had to go into putting this game on switch. Development costs have to be made back before they drop the price of a game.

They don't come with the DLC on disc, but you can download it all for free. On Switch you need to download the DLC anyway as it's part of the multiplayer.

Didn't realize that about the DLC, good on ID for doing that.

if I was planning on getting this, I'd be pretty pissed they were charging full price after cutting an entire mode.

well you could consider RE:R a "good" horror game.. maaaayyyyyyddddaaayyyyyy

Portable isn't enhanced? I mean I get performance is worse, but that doesn't change that a significant amount of time and energy had to go into putting this game on switch. Development costs have to be made back before they drop the price of a game.

Didn't realize that about the DLC, good on ID for doing that.
Portable isn't enhanced, if anything it just puts it up against $40 handheld games if that's the sole selling point.

Uh huh... And now?
Still $40. As a console version this is objectively worse in every way, it having a handheld version is its sole advantage and why I'm buying it. For $60 that's silly, especially as the game's been as low as $12 elsewhere for a much better playing version that notably doesn't half the frame rate.

If the Switch was anyone's main console, sure, but be real. It's been readily available for 1/5th of the price on other systems that play it better. Being able to play it at 30 FPS on a console isn't worth $60 to me and sounds silly to defend.
No, what are those $40 handheld games that are similar to Skyrim? Big open world handheld RPGs?

What are the prices of Skyrim in the past six years it's been out? $5?

If you don't want DOOM for $60, wait for a price drop. Or go buy another version. Or don't buy it at all.

No one needs to "defend" anything.

Top Bottom