• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

Renna Hazel

hahahaha

let me rephrase that, I guess.

Why is it assumed that Switch owners are totally separate from other gaming demographics? People talk about the Switch and its users like it's the goddamn Wii and it's been bugging me.

Because Nintendo operates differently from the majority of the industry. Nintendo certainly has a very large hardcore following that appreciates certain types of games. Those games tend to be gameplay centric rather than cinematic experiences that much of the industry pushes.

If that offends you....sorry? That's how I see things though.

Because Nintendo operates differently from the majority of the industry. Nintendo certainly has a very large hardcore following that appreciates certain types of games. Those games tend to be gameplay centric rather than cinematic experiences that much of the industry pushes.

You just described DOOM

Shiggy

hahahaha

let me rephrase that, I guess.

Why is it assumed that Switch owners are totally separate from other gaming demographics? People talk about the Switch and its users like it's the damn Wii and it's been bugging me.

Different gaming platforms have different audiences. Nothing magical around that. It's why a Lego Worlds sells best on Switch despite the smaller install base, while a FIFA game flops.

Takat

I would have bought this day 1 if it had gyro controls as well. or at least a promise for later improvements. As it is, I can't play with dual stick set up.

Renna Hazel

Oh ok

Thing is, Skyrim isn’t some big, super cinematic game either. It should also sell very well.

I wasn't saying Skyrim would fail, I was responding to someone saying since Fifa failed, why should we believe Skyrim or Doom should succeed. I said this

I can't speak for Skyrim since it looks really boring but Doom is an arcadey style shooter. I think Nintendo fans will respond to that more than realistic sports games.

I have no opinion on Skyrim since I haven't played it. I own Doom so I believe that will resonate well with Nintendo fans.

I'm not offended, just confused. It's a standpoint I understood with the last few Nintendo platforms, but I feel the Switch has wider appeal than Nintendo's past few platforms and may be selling itself to a wider audience than one which might reject games like Skyrim or DOOM.
Different gaming platforms have different audiences. Nothing magical around that.

Yes, I'm just not convinced (given the Switch's success so far) that its userbase would reject certain titles because they don't want those titles on a Nintendo system, which is an implication I feel crops up sometimes. Or in other words, I don't see the Switch as a platform that sells only to people with a preference for Nintendo's games, like I may have described the Wii U, once upon a time. Which is why I'm not so ready to say whether or not they'd purchase games like these.

EDarkness

I'm not offended, just confused. It's a standpoint I understood with the last few Nintendo platforms, but I feel the Switch has wider appeal than Nintendo's past few platforms and may be selling itself to a wider audience than one which might reject games like Skyrim or DOOM.

Yes, I'm just not convinced (given the Switch's success so far) that its userbase would reject certain titles because they don't want those titles on a Nintendo system, which is an implication I feel crops up sometimes. Or in other words, I don't see the Switch as a platform that sells only to people with a preference for Nintendo's games, like I may have described the Wii U, once upon a time. Which is why I'm not so ready to say whether or not they'd purchase games like these.

My opinion is that people who own Nintendo consoles WANT to have all those games on that platform even if everyone doesn't buy them. Options are good and being able to choose from a wider pool of games is a good way to go. This notion that fans of Nintendo consoles only buy Nintendo games is tired and I'd say not true.

Renna Hazel

Well to simplify it, it's the same reason I could predict Sonic would sell better on Switch than it would on Xbox, and Call of Duty would sell better on Xbox than it would on Switch. I'd argue that Switch owners still have a preference for the type of games they like, and that's not an insult.

Keep in mind this is a metric I use only to determine if something will succeed on a system. I never said Nintendo fans would reject other things. It's just safe to assume that certain types of games can succeed on Switch. Others aren't as obvious. I think Doom is one that will hit the right notes with Nintendo fans, who make up a large portion of Switch owners.

Business

I already got this on PC and I’m tempted to get it again on Switch but not at full price. Considering the game is ‘old’ and many people have played it already I think they should have considered a 40ish price. Would have helped.

Shiggy

My opinion is that people who own Nintendo consoles WANT to have all those games on that platform even if everyone doesn't buy them. Options are good and being able to choose from a wider pool of games is a good way to go. This notion that fans of Nintendo consoles only buy Nintendo games is tired and I'd say not true.

I know the current third party retail lineup doesn't give much choice, but on Switch the share of first party sales seems to be even larger than on Wii U/3DS so far. That should obviously change once third parties release more high calibre titles.

Then again, Nintendo games and thus also Nintendo platforms cater to a different audience than PS4 and Xbox One. Games such as Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, etc. are enjoyed by a wider (not necessarily larger!) audience than a Call of Duty or Destiny. As a result, it's no surprise that Rayman Legends and Lego games sell relatively better on Switch than on other platforms, and that Mario + Rabbids is a strong third party success.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if a late and full price port of a game which doesn't cater to the traditional audience on Nintendo platforms does not perform quite as well.

Different gaming platforms have different audiences. Nothing magical around that. It's why a Lego Worlds sells best on Switch despite the smaller install base, while a FIFA game flops.

There are many other factors that are in play here. Games like Lego Worlds or Lego City are absolutely equal in quality and effort to the other versions on PC/PS4/XOne.

Fifa Switch is missing key gameplay features and is a very low effort port. Even people who don't care about game specifics could see many articles/headlines around the net and facebook/twitter posts that claims how worse the Switch version is. People are advise against buying Fifa on Switch in many occasions.

With all the sales talk, I wonder if it's important to keep in mind that this is the first FPS that the Switch is going to get, or if that will matter in the long run?

I mean I can't imagine it will hurt that the system's first FPS game is a pretty well done port of one of 2016's top rated games, right? I've heard nothing but good things about Doom '16 and Wolfenstein TNO/TOB so I'd imagine that would translate to some good sales. And while I'm not one who believes the "game is selling best on Switch because there's no games" bullshit people trot out every time a new release does well, I personally AM starved for an FPS on my new toy and I'm stoked as fuck the first one is gonna be Doom of all games.

Shiggy

There are many other factors that are in play here. Games like Lego Worlds or Lego City are absolutely equal in quality and effort to the other versions on PC/PS4/XOne.

Fifa Switch is missing key gameplay features and is a very low effort port. Even people who don't care about game specifics could see many articles/headlines around the net and facebook/twitter posts that claims how worse the Switch version is. People are advise against buying Fifa on Switch in many occasions.

That's the typical 'myth' to explain low third party sales on Nintendo platforms. I think we saw the same repeatedly on Wii U ("it's missing this, it's missing that" / "it's late" / "it's more expensive"). Most casual gamers won't know about those differences. They want the latest FIFA game with the latest roster.

Also, the Switch version is priced lower.

Sometimes it's just that the users on the system are simply not interested in a game. And that seems to be the case with FIFA 18 on Switch.

With all the sales talk, I wonder if it's important to keep in mind that this is the first FPS that the Switch is going to get, or if that will matter in the long run?

I mean I can't imagine it will hurt that the system's first FPS game is a pretty well done port of one of 2016's top rated games, right? I've heard nothing but good things about Doom '16 and Wolfenstein TNO/TOB so I'd imagine that would translate to some good sales. And while I'm not one who believes the "game is selling best on Switch because there's no games" bullshit people trot out every time a new release does well, I personally AM starved for an FPS on my new toy and I'm stoked as fuck the first one is gonna be Doom of all games.

It's certainly a plus for the game's sales that there's no competition.

MDave

I've somehow put 60 hours into the PC version of Doom. And that is all single player and replaying missions and completing challenges. Finding all the secrets and upgrading weapons and getting those runes. None of that time I clocked in is multiplayer.

Will I do it all over again?

Yes.

First time Doom players will absolutely get their money's worth if they play it as much as I did. 1£/$ per hour is great.

DOOM to me feels like a RE4 type of game that I can and will replay like once or twice a year for a decade. I'm extremely happy to pay $60 for that type of experience.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Doom is definitely one of the best fps on the ps4, maybe Titanfall 2. Switch has an absolutely incredible lineup this holiday season. Historical. 2017 fall-holiday on switch is this plus a frickin Mario game:
630x.jpg

My wallet will be in pure pain.

MisterR

I don't know if the FIFA story is wrriten in stone yet...

that being said, I'm pretty hesitant on DOOM and Skyrim.

When I think surefire Switch hits, I think Lego, Sonic, Yooka-oh wait

It’s selling at the same rate as it is on two consoles that have been dead for four years. That’s pretty written in stone. It’s dead Jim.

Alchemy

I already beat this on the PS4 and have no time for single player games lately and tbh I'm still really considering this. Such a good game I would love a portable version.

Switch has an absolutely incredible lineup this holiday season. Historical. 2017 fall-holiday on switch is this plus a frickin Mario game:

I wouldn't say the two are at all comparable. The Switch's first year is fantastic, and I'm excited for the fall/winter lineup, but Golf Story, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, and a lot of late ports don't really compare to Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Jak & Daxter, GTA III, Devil May Cry, Ico and Silent Hill 2. I don't think anything ever will.

Renna Hazel

I wouldn't say the two are at all comparable. The Switch's first year is fantastic, and I'm excited for the fall/winter lineup, but Golf Story, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, and a lot of late ports don't really compare to Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Jak & Daxter, GTA III, Devil May Cry, Ico and Silent Hill 2. I don't think anything ever will.

If we count Gran Turismo then it's only fair to include games like Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids, which makes for a much nicer looking lineup.

That's the typical 'myth' to explain low third party sales on Nintendo platforms. I think we saw the same repeatedly on Wii U ("it's missing this, it's missing that" / "it's late" / "it's more expensive"). Most casual gamers won't know about those differences. They want the latest FIFA game with the latest roster.

Thats a bit naive. The "casual users" that are dumb as a stone and don't read anything about a product are a myth. "Casual users" that buy consoles are a myth in themself.

With the release being so close, I wonder how close to final the code the demo that the media played was. There was definitely still some significant slowdown in the opening level just a month ago.

Apocryphon

This game is worth buying for the single player alone. It’s a shame we aren’t getting the snapmap stuff but the arcade mode should make it. This and Wolfenstein will get a lot of playtime on my Switch.

I’d take ports of The New Order and Rage too if they wanted a quick buck from me. I’m hoping to see Doom 64 ported too when the VC drops (if). I have the original Doom games, Doom 3, Quake, Quake 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Duke 3D, Hexen etc on my Shield Tablet already but I’d snap them up in a heartbeat if they were on Switch, just so I could have everything on one device.

I guess after Skyrim they’ll port Fallout 4?

Renna Hazel

Why does Mario Odyssey not compare at all to MGS2, FFX, and others?

Aren't they all for a different sort of audience?

I think that was more of a quantity statement. Mario alone can't beat all of those games was his point. Switch has a lot more than just Mario though.

EDarkness

I know the current third party retail lineup doesn't give much choice, but on Switch the share of first party sales seems to be even larger than on Wii U/3DS so far. That should obviously change once third parties release more high calibre titles.

Then again, Nintendo games and thus also Nintendo platforms cater to a different audience than PS4 and Xbox One. Games such as Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, etc. are enjoyed by a wider (not necessarily larger!) audience than a Call of Duty or Destiny. As a result, it's no surprise that Rayman Legends and Lego games sell relatively better on Switch than on other platforms, and that Mario + Rabbids is a strong third party success.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if a late and full price port of a game which doesn't cater to the traditional audience on Nintendo platforms does not perform quite as well.

Well, I own one Nintendo game on my NS (Breath of the Wild). I own a bunch of third party games, though (over 20 at the moment). Probably one of the few who bought Fate/EXTELLA and enjoyed the hell out of it. I imagine there are others like me, but I think it comes down to what games are getting released. There very few super massive third party games on the platform right now and even then the ones coming are going to be late ports or are missing features and the like. It would have been interesting to see how NBA2k18 would do if there was a physical copy of the game to purchase along with the others.

Either way, I personally want all of the awesome third party games to come to the NS, but I don't want a gimped version of the game. I understand graphics have to be sacrificed, I'm okay with that, but all of the other features don't have to be. Perhaps others look at it the same way.

I don't think this is true. We're in a time of social media and word of mouth marketing. Just think about a game like Golf Story. The game had no real marketing at all, but the word of mouth was amazing and the game shot up the charts. When people are looking for recommendations for games on Twitter and Facebook, these kinds of things make a difference. There are tons of articles saying that the NS version of FIFA isn't good and when talking to friends they say don't buy that version. I imagine this wasn't the case back in the old days when all we had were BBSs and EGM/GameFan. Even the average gamer is savvy enough to check Twitter and Facebook to find out what's up with a game.

jibece

Neo Member
Well, I was kinda hyped for this version despite the downgrades, but the lack of gyro aiming just break the deal.
Not sorry Bethesda, patch your game and I'll think about buying it.

i thought id never see the day when people are complaining that they cant control a handheld title with gyro...

Assuming this is meant to be a dig at gyro (correct me if I'm wrong) have you ever played a handheld game that uses gyro? Like the Zelda OoT 3DS remake? It works phenomenally well.

Top Bottom