• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanic

*sigh* so going back to my previous posts, I just went 2/11/8, but I singlehandedly took six towers and we won, so I guess i've gotta be proud of that.

Wait... how is the store counter-intuitive?
LoL's feel so much easier to navigate.... everything, from combining items to just clicking around. I think this might be due to the sheer number of items and accompanying upgrades DotA 2 has.

Makes more sense, but I still think it's just a weak excuse for you to give up. After a month you'll most likely get everything down (last hitting, denying, ganking, etc).

How much have you even played? Curios question.

Around 30-35 games. Not enough but it gave me a good idea. I know what last-hitting, ganking, and denying are (despite denying not being in LoL). Got like over 2k games in LoL so I'm aware of the core mechanics.

Honestly if they would just give us a casualized store interface that would fix one of my major concerns. Just have an option to toggle on the "babby UI" in the settings menu or something.

The abilities being more complicated and the crazy number of actives on items are a big issue for me as well. I kind of wish I hadn't played LoL. Would've been much more comfortable going from a complicated game to a more accessible one than vice versa.

Exuro

They seem to have huge pages of lore for LoL but I don't think anyone really reads it. I sure haven't. The quips and voice acting of each hero alone makes them have more personality than those in LoL already.
Hmm so lore is only mentioned out of game in text? Don't get how the champions would have more personality if they don't even bring up these types of things in game.

MKAllDay

Charm not in the graphics sense but the champs just seem to have more personality to them. Obviously DotA 2 visuals and animation blow LoL away. Riot's done a good job of that with the lore and community interaction. Mundo, Annie, Yi, Jax, Teemo, I could list 50 more that are instantly recognizable and have 'charisma'.

This comment blew my mind. How can you even begin to justify this when each champion has 1-2 minutes of static, dull audio? Compare that to every Dota 2 hero having 10-15 minutes of recorded audio, facial expression/animations, running/chasing/injured run/injured idle/etc animations.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
LoL's shop UI is more accessible, but oh man it is a tedious slog when you want to quickly access items.

You might want to get accustomed to quick buy in Dota 2. Drag the item you want to buy to the bar above your items and set up a hotkey so you can instantly buy something when you get the gold. Also don't forget there is a search bar. You will probably want to use grid view too once you learn all the items. The classic shop is kinda shitty, but grid view is pretty good.

Yasae

Banned
He's basically viper 2.0 with a shitty ult. Random questions:

- Is it just me, or is Crystal Maiden basically a shittier Lich? Well.. Except for her stun maybe - which is very good - but completely lacks range and makes her even more vulnerable than she already is.

Also her ult is trash for the most part. Sure you can tag a few heroes if you come flying out of the jungle, but that's about it. It doesn't hit hard, it doesn't slow much, and you're - wait for it............COMPLETELY VULNERABLE during it AND any hero can knock you out of it with ONE skill! Most of the time I don't even take this skill until I'm forced to it's so bad.

Maybe it's my item setup? I at least feel I should be doing more damage with it or something. I'm fine with her other skills and get a good number of assists but my deaths seem inordinately high. She's just so easy to kill and a lot of heroes tend to straight for her.

Additionally, her mana regen passive isn't all that great. Half a point per level...? I mean... I can fix that problem with items so easily it seems like a waste.

- How the hell do you play warlock? He seems to have the same problem - too squishy, his slow is channeled so you're super duper vulnerable during it, a lackluster ult. Where's the beef?

This comment blew my mind. How can you even begin to justify this when each champion has 1-2 minutes of static, dull audio? Compare that to every Dota 2 hero having 10-15 minutes of recorded audio, facial expression/animations, running/chasing/injured run/injured idle/etc animations.

Having more of it doesn't necessarily make it better.

And it's not just about the actual champ/hero audio and animations. Riot has cultivated an entire community with a huge amount of interaction from the developers themselves that has lead to so much community contribution about their champions... art, stories, themed promotions, community-pushed skins, and so on. This fleshes out the champs quite a bit and has had a huge effect on the game IMO.

Unfortunately for them since they release a new one every week many of the recent champs feel like they're churned out of a factory. I can't tell them apart and don't really have a desire to. Occasionally you get a unique champ with some charm and personality but most of the new champs are completely forgettable because they're set on churning them out every 2 weeks. Riot can't keep this up forever. DotA 2 has an advantage there as I'm assuming the heroes will all be from DotA 1.

MKAllDay

Having more of it doesn't necessarily make it better.

And it's not just about the actual champ/hero audio and animations. Riot has cultivated an entire community with a huge amount of interaction from the developers themselves that has lead to so much community contribution about their champions... art, stories, themed promotions, community-pushed skins, and so on. This fleshes out the champs quite a bit and has had a huge effect on the game IMO.

That is fine. But that is a completely different subject and to be honest one that isn't really comparable since of course the community is going to be more involved in a half decade old game versus a game in beta. What I want to focus on is you saying things like Dota heroes don't have as much charm as champions like Yi. I can't see how a guy that has 40 seconds of him making noises and one liners as his full audio suite having any charisma. The only other way you could possibly say he has charisma is if you are referring to his lore which of course is not represented in game in any way shape or form.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
New SF ult looks pretty awesome

That is fine. But that is a completely different subject and to be honest one that isn't really comparable since of course the community is going to be more involved in a half decade old game versus a game in beta. What I want to focus on is you saying things like Dota heroes don't have as much charm as champions like Yi. I can't see how a guy that has 40 seconds of him making noises and one liners as his full audio suite having any charisma. The only other way you could possibly say he has charisma is if you are referring to his lore which of course is not represented in game in any way shape or form.

Sh22v.jpg

It's a joke. Lower your pitchforks.

Eh. He's too squishy to use AOE effectively. It's supposed to be hit and run so I can see why I don't like it but still... Compared to viper I feel it's UP.

You really can't compare Viper and Veno because they have different roles. Veno's ult can be devistating in team fights.

Elixist

Brewmaster is pretty fun just did a bot match on the test client. His ult is crazy I just boxed over and right click the enemy like a nub. He looks really fuckin cool.

So whos going to make the Lol vs Dota 2 thread? Its been brewin in a few hearts I can see.

My opinion on the matter means nill because I havent played enough Dota 2 to have a deep comparison , but from the 40 hours I've played of Dota (bot matchs) and tried nearly all the availabe heros, I think that the heros in Lol are funner on a per skills basis, (more actives) I like how the passives are handled, and I like the shorter cds, shorter stuns duration, smaller mana cost of spells, its make the game more arcadey than Dota and I like that. I also like that not all Lols guys are mana based theres some energy guys, a couple rages chars as well. Though Dota def a deeper experienc just from sheer item meta and jungle complexities, that doesnt always mean funner.

Comparing the feel of the gameplay I like Lols responsiveness, playing Dota 2 for the first time a lil weird, maybe a lil slo idk, but after playing thousands of hours of Lol any other game in the genre would seem weird i guess. Dota of course still beta so this probly will be changed a bit tightened up.

Dota 2 incredible visuals that shit on Lol pretty much, and like another said I would buy an Arpg in the vein of Diablo with this graphics and art and viewpoints in a heartbeat, but I love Lols visuals too, great art, bright cartoony easy to understand.

That being said who the hell knows how crazy Valve will go when they've caught up with all the old Dota stuff and bring in some new shit like hopefully the Tank from L4d, as others have said and the Freeman, I would like to crowbar some fukn creeps and gravity guns some fools. Definetly room for both games, and it'll be interesting to see how well Dota does, as Leagues has pretty much a World of Warcraft lead at this point, everybody an they sista plays it.

That is fine. But that is a completely different subject and to be honest one that isn't really comparable since of course the community is going to be more involved in a half decade old game versus a game in beta.

You have a point with the bolded. The community has helped flesh out some of their fav champs so much and the massive size of said community has a lot to do with that. Dev interaction is important too.

]What I want to focus on is you saying things like Dota heroes don't have as much charm as champions like Yi. I can't see how a guy that has 40 seconds of him making noises and one liners as his full audio suite having any charisma. The only other way you could possibly say he has charisma is if you are referring to his lore which of course is not represented in game in any way shape or form.
I guarantee you that the "40 seconds" of audio from a champ like Mundo are as memorable as any in Dota 2. Hell, his is probably more like 15-20 seconds. More isn't always better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you're confusing charm with camp.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. LoL makes good use of its campiness. Riot knows they're not going to win any points for CHARACTER DESIGN OF THE FOREVER so they decided to make it silly, goofy and non-serious which, I might add, is probably one reason why it's so popular with the ladies.

I think that the heros in Lol are funner on a per skills basis, (more actives) I like how the passives are handled, and I like the shorter cds, shorter stuns duration, smaller mana cost of spells, its make the game more arcadey than Dota and I like that. I also like that not all Lols guys are mana based theres some energy guys, a couple rages chars as well. Though Dota def a deeper experienc just from sheer item meta and jungle complexities, that doesnt always mean funner.

Comparing the feel of the gameplay I like Lols responsiveness, playing Dota 2 for the first time a lil weird, maybe a lil slo idk, but after playing thousands of hours of Lol any other game in the genre would seem weird i guess. Dota of course still beta so this probly will be changed a bit tightened up.
This is exactly how I feel. Summed it up much better than I could. Also to add to that I love the customization rune pages and summoner skills add to the game. You have to grind out a ton of IP for the runes but once you do it's great.

I think you're confusing charm with camp.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. LoL makes good use of its campiness. Riot knows they're not going to win any points for CHARACTER DESIGN OF THE FOREVER so they decided to make it silly, goofy and non-serious which, I might add, is probably one reason why it's so popular with the ladies.

That's probably it... the campiness, light-hearted and goofy nature.

Haly

All the reasons people stated for liking LoL are completely understandable and a direct consequence of Riot creating LoL from the ground up to appeal to new players.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Some of you guys need to realize that DOTA is not the most newbie friendly game in the world, DEEP META or not.

MKAllDay

You have a point with the bolded. The community has helped flesh out some of their fav champs so much and the massive size of said community has a lot to do with that. Dev interaction is important too.

I guarantee you that the "40 seconds" of audio from a champ like Mundo are as memorable as any in Dota 2. Hell, his is probably more like 15-20 seconds. More isn't always better.

The only reason he has more memorable lines is because you hear them over and over since he only has ~5 of them!

Just kidding.

But really your last comment is your opinion and I can respect that and obviously can't dispute it. Although, I personally don't feel the same way about his lines (or anyone from LoL for that matter, I did play roughly 1000 games), if the lines are that memorable to you then that is great. I just wanted to get a better understanding of why you made the initial statement and now I have.

Volodja

I managed to end a losing streak of something like 7 games.
The winning game was also my first win with Windrunner after losing my first 2 with her, even if I feel that I performed reasonably well.

What a powerful hero.

Powershot is great for farming, harrassing, delaying pushes, before the teamfight starts, in the middle of it and at the end for cleanup. Nice damage, amazing range and aoe possibilities.
Shackleshot in pubs felt really easy to hit and I landed a lot of them on 2 heroes, making it possible for my teammates to escape from really bad situations. Sadly very few of my pseudo-initiations with it were followed by the team.
Windrun made me feel safe basically all the time and opened a lot of possibilities for chasing.
The ulti was pretty useful later in the game for pushing fast even in a team not particularly good at it. I have yet to try it on an enemy other than a stupidly fed lifestealer that was laughing at my damage.

Sadly I could only play her as pretty hard support and I really felt like it was a pretty big limitation and made it impossible to actually utilize her properly.

LoL's feel so much easier to navigate.... everything, from combining items to just clicking around. I think this might be due to the sheer number of items and accompanying upgrades DotA 2 has.

Around 30-35 games. Not enough but it gave me a good idea. I know what last-hitting, ganking, and denying are (despite denying not being in LoL). Got like over 2k games in LoL so I'm aware of the core mechanics.

Honestly if they would just give us a casualized store interface that would fix one of my major concerns. Just have an option to toggle on the "babby UI" in the settings menu or something.

The abilities being more complicated and the crazy number of actives on items are a big issue for me as well. I kind of wish I hadn't played LoL. Would've been much more comfortable going from a complicated game to a more accessible one than vice versa.

First of all LoL and Dota2 have a similar number of items to choose from. I've played 1k+ matches of LoL and the shop in that game is probably the worst out of all the MOBA's I've played. Have you tried the condensed shop option? There's a filter option somewhere on the UI that makes the shop way better (grid option I think it's called). You can't have a babby UI because each item is completely different from one another and most of the time used for different purposes. It's not like league where every item is a form of stat stick.

Also, abilities are definitely not more complicated than in LoL - they're just different. I've played alot of LoL but I can definitely say that Dota2 is the better product in almost every way. It seems like a lot of your weak criticisms stem from the fact that you're 2000 matches dedicated to a game and don't feel like learning a new one. Once you know what each item does and what category their under it's easy.

buhdeh

LoL has some of the ugliest art and character designs I've ever seen. Just atrocious. Even the character art/portraits vary wildly from okay to amateur to laughably bad.

And the whole runes and masteries crap is so dumb. I'm not wasting my time setting up for every "champion" in the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That being said who the hell knows how crazy Valve will go when they've caught up with all the old Dota stuff and bring in some new shit like hopefully the Tank from L4d, as others have said and the Freeman, I would like to crowbar some fukn creeps and gravity guns some fools. Definetly room for both games, and it'll be interesting to see how well Dota does, as Leagues has pretty much a World of Warcraft lead at this point, everybody an they sista plays it.

Not to rain on your dream but I hope that never happens,.

Volodja

What was your build?
A mess.
Standard support fare at the start.
Then fast Phase boots. From there I aimed for Force staff, in case I needed some more damage and mana fast I would maybe pick up a Null talisman before it. After Force staff mek, then in theory sheepstick, but I never reached it.
I should probably learn how to find better openings to farm as a support because even this pretty basic list takes me ages to complete.

Darkkn

LOL characters look great on marketplace portraits but in-game, some are so poorly modeled that it would be hard to tell what the character was without the 2d art of the marketplace.

In general i think that the LOL art style is a poor mans Blizzard imitation where as Valves take is Blizzard+better tech+more classy color palette etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Eh. He's too squishy to use AOE effectively. It's supposed to be hit and run so I can see why I don't like it but still... Compared to viper I feel it's UP.

Than why is Venomancer one of the top heroes int he current meta game while Viper rarely gets played?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LOL characters look great on marketplace portraits but in-game, some are so poorly modeled that it would be hard to tell what the character was without the 2d art of the marketplace.

In general i think that the LOL art style is a poor mans Blizzard imitation where as Valves take is Blizzard+better tech+more classy take.

I dont think Valve's stuff looks like Blizzard characters. The proportions arent retarded enough for me to confuse the two.

hamchan

I haven't played much of LoL and I haven't played for a long time now, so I don't know whether they improved the shop or not but I thought it was dreadful. As a new player I had no idea which category to look for specific items. Dota 2 is everything I wanted the LoL store to be. Search bar, quick buy and the ability to edit the recommended items make it feel far superior to me.

inky

I haven't played much of LoL and I haven't played for a long time now, so I don't know whether they improved the shop or not but I thought it was dreadful. As a new player I had no idea which category to look for specific items. Dota 2 is everything I wanted the LoL store to be. Search bar, quick buy and the ability to edit the recommended items make it feel far superior to me.

Agreed. It's a lot snappier and it's easier to find stuff simply because you can have a big amount of items on screen at the same time, and being able to edit the recommended items (which for most of LoL char builds are absolutely useless) makes it a lot better in my book as well.

Haly

You always could. If all 3 pandas die during ult, you die.

All his voices sound pretty distinct, unlikely some other characters.

Yeah, his Shadow Demon isn't similar to Lycan / Sylla / Brewmaster, that's for sure. Other than that? Not so much. There're ten times more talented VA, yet they're continue to pick North.

Guesong

Similar burly brawlesque heroes
vs
Brawl hero and slithering support

It's much easier to sound different when the constitution of the character is radically different as well. Brewmaster can't exactly sound like a pipsqueak.

The first comparison they actually do sound different. The second comparison makes no sense because they're completely different characters.

Similar burly brawlesque heroes
vs
Brawl hero and slithering support

It's much easier to sound different when the constitution of the character is radically different as well. Brewmaster can't exactly sound like a pipsqueak.

I can give you a ton of examples if you wish

Skeleton King and Faceless Void
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/e/e0/Skel_move_12.mp3
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/1/18/Face_move_12.mp3

Dazzle and Bane
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/6/60/Dazz_battlebegins_01.mp3
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/5/5b/Bane_battlebegins_02.mp3

Etc, etc, etc. It doesn't matter what kind of role the hero occupies if VA puts his soul in his work. There're bad VA exist that's all; and I don't see reason for any of you to advocate North if he's doing his job poorly.

Now go listen to Necrolyte and Warlock lol.
We're talkin bout Brewmaster, not bout Lock / AM / Necro. I already complained bout their similarities.

The first comparison they actually do sound different. The second comparison makes no sense because they're completely different characters.
You'd better be trolling me. And how come that Brewmaster and Lycan are the similar charachters? One is the rat-a-like prodigy; another is savage shapeshifter. I can't see likeness between them. Can you?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I can give you a ton of examples if you wish

Skeleton King and Faceless Void
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/e/e0/Skel_move_12.mp3
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/1/18/Face_move_12.mp3

Dazzle and Bane
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/6/60/Dazz_battlebegins_01.mp3
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/5/5b/Bane_battlebegins_02.mp3

Etc, etc, etc. It doesn't matter what kind of role the hero occupies if VA puts his soul in his work. There're bad VA exists that all; and I don't see reason for any of you to advocate North if he's doing his job poorly.

Because he isnt? Because Valve liked the voices he did? Because Valve controls how the character sounds? The fact that North did several characters that needed two sets of voiced lines is actually a point in his favor. Its not like he is doing the fucking Drake voice.

Also AM doesnt sound like Necro and Warlock. He sounds much younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom