• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low Tier
omniknight is sick, and doom is disgusting strong atm.

Ember is still hotness, lich is secretly ownage atm too, earth spirit is grossly underestimated. 4.5k tinker pickers are still the worst thing ever though

shira

According to the reddits, Riot didn't set up the seats very well at worlds:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg..._audiences_with_the_most_expensive_seats_for/

m2vw1a3.jpg

This is how you do group stages - fuck profit
- free wifi
- free food
- lots of space for everyone
- 7 giant screens
- $500 tickets

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hate Tinker Pickers, they eat up a ton of the map's farm and normally itemize in a way that falls off late game.

m2vw1a3.jpg

This is how you do group stages.
- free wifi
- free food
- lots of space for everyone
- 7 giant screens
- $500 tickets

This reminds me, some of the guys at the After Party were actually annoyed I was able to get in with my strategy of "wait outside and hope extra tickets pop up." Oh thank you random Asian people who had a ton of guest passes (I assume they were with Arrow Gaming or MVP), and unknown asain girl who was able to get them to break out the passes (A guy fetched something like 15 guess passes from a bus). I wish I was able to get one of their names and thank them.

Really $500 is a steal for the VIP tickets, but the issue is that its a huge time commitment, you would need to take off 3 consecutive weeks or do a lot of air travail.

Wok

Dagon Broodmother is a great space creator and a pain for ennemies, it can be far more annoying than Riki. I will be playing it more often now that I somehow understand how to play it.

omniknight is sick, and doom is disgusting strong atm.

Ember is still hotness, lich is secretly ownage atm too, earth spirit is grossly underestimated. 4.5k tinker pickers are still the worst thing ever though

I have faced a Lich who would pursue fleeing eneemies with a Force Staff follwed by Ice Blast. So strong!

shira

rektaroni

eliminated from ESL, that sucks - I wanted to see Singsing go to his namesake Corrctional Facility

Goldmund

League of Legends looks really slow. Am I imagining this? I'm watching a rebroadcast and we're 40 minutes in and this looks slower than base movement speed. Could just be the aesthetics.

Kade

League of Legends looks really slow. Am I imagining this? I'm watching a rebroadcast and we're 40 minutes in and this looks slower than base movement speed. Could just be the aesthetics.

A lot of the movement animations animate/cycle slower than the models actually move so it looks really slow.

Goldmund

A lot of the movement animations animate/cycle slower than the models actually move so it looks really slow.
Yeah, when looking at the speed the icons move on the map, it seems just as fast. In any way, this is pretty amazing. This must be what it's like to watch Dota never having played Dota. I don't understand a thing that's happening. It's awesome.

Acti

Anyone here that went from LoL to Dota 2? If yes how was the transaction? I wanna know because all my friends said it's fucking crazy. They said that it is so much more difficult that they even don't wanna learn it...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anyone here that went from LoL to Dota 2? If yes how was the transaction? I wanna know because all my friends said it's fucking crazy. They said that it is so much more difficult that they even don't wanna learn it...

I did it, I didn't think it was to hard. If you are anything like me, bind Select Hero (F1 by default) to space bar, and learn to double tap space to snap to your hero.

If you used fixed camera, you are going to be in for a rough ride.

Sibylus

Banned
I went from League to Dota. Had fun with the former, but the latter was what hooked me once I got the hang of it. Playing support in LoL when I played was about as interesting as chewing marbles. Was weird going to Dota and realizing I could suddenly do a lot of things I couldn't in leeg.

Acti

I did it, I didn't think it was to hard. If you are anything like me, bind Select Hero (F1 by default) to space bar, and learn to double tap space to snap to your hero.

If you used fixed camera, you are going to be in for a rough ride.

Oh! Btw, what's the deal with fixed camera?

Arkanius

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/381550

Amazing how this losing spree with Techies... was not my fault in a single game.
That 11/13 one was specially frustrating. I thought WK farmed a shit all of nothing throughout the whole game.

And the last one... a LC that attempts to go Jungle and of course, doesn't snowball the game.

Props for Dazzle in the last game. He bought wards all game to deward my mines, he didnt get tired of it, a single time.

I moved from League to Dota due to some personal issues with Riot/my friends arguing constantly while in-game/etc and it honestly wasn't that bad. Doing a lot of research helped and I found heroes that I liked pretty quickly.

Acinixys

I moved from League to Dota due to some personal issues with Riot/my friends arguing constantly while in-game/etc and it honestly wasn't that bad. Doing a lot of research helped and I found heroes that I liked pretty quickly.

Arent most of LoLs early heros Dota copies, with slightly changed skills?

Ashe is obviously slightly different Drow/Mirana and beta Twisted Fate was more like Furion (except he still had his 'give sight on every enemy champ on the map' which Furion would be ridiculous with). There are a few others as well.

No update tonight?

It will be both easy and difficult. It will be easy because if you've spent a meaningful amount of time with LoL (or any other traditional MOBA), you'll already have a healthy amount of the core mechanics down. How to last hit, importance of wards and watching the minimap, how to skill and a general idea of what items to build. You'll start off against people who may have never played a moba of any kind before so you'll probably slaughter many helpless fools.

It will be difficult in the sense that there are now ~100 heroes who's skills, abilities, and initiation ranges you don't know. You'll be guessing for months about how to approach team fights, how far away is too far...how close is too close. Getting that deeper understanding of skill builds and item purchases take awhile. And certainly Dota2 has a number of additional mechanics that do not appear in League at all (allied creep denying, stacking neutral camps for later farming, loss of gold on death), and concepts that are more complicated and deeper in Dota2 (deeper jungle juking mechanics, tower diving (tower doesn't protect you in Dota 2, more roaming freedom as support, long duration stuns, etc.). There will be a transition period. It's worth learning both games. Just don't expect to be better than "bad" for the first couple of months.

Not really, no. A few have some similar abilities for sure, though.

sephi22

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/381550

Amazing how this losing spree with Techies... was not my fault in a single game.
That 11/13 one was specially frustrating. I thought WK farmed a shit all of nothing throughout the whole game.

And the last one... a LC that attempts to go Jungle and of course, doesn't snowball the game.

I have very similar feelings. The rumors of Techies being useless and feeding are vastly overblown. In all my Techies games, even the ones I lost, I have the least amount of gold fed to the enemy team because the majority (or all) deaths being suicides. Never in one game did I not create space for the team, and even in games where the lanes lost early, our team defended due to the mines.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are any Arcanas in the drop system? Otherwise Valve just remove "Elegible for Arcana" bs.

Yeah, they don't get removed. Legendary also stay in the drop pool longer then the standard 6 months, and I think Mythical may have some special rules too.

Kioshen

the more I play him the more I think he has a role in every lane

offlane -- shit on carry/lh with q and get teamfights going with the xp from off. Hard to gank because of his toolkit. Can walk up and get last hits without too much fear honestly

mid -- won't get super farmed, but can shit on the enemy mid and prevent them from getting too ahead . Rotation ganks are easier with degen aura to slow them down as well

safe -- his support role is pretty well-defined at this point. Maybe not the best carry but a farmed omni is no joke.

He's good early, and good late. Ulti can be purged and bs can shit on him hard, but I think the cast delay on his q and being unable to heal through w might be what's keeping him from seeing more pro play. In pubs? Domination.

it's ok to like things that aren't good

Omni next cosmetic item will be a toilet hammer. I knew it !

I did. I didn't like how the meta was so straightforward when I used to play LoL and how much gating (heroes, fixed skins, runes etc) there was in there. I don't think Dota is that much more difficult than LoL. Is it more punishing ? Yes absolutely ! Is it more rewarding, flexible and deeper ? To me it is. If they can't handle breaking out of the established framework it can be scary to switch but mechanically it's pretty similar.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well...

Focus Fire isn't blocked by BKB and...
Windrun's Evasion isn't pierced by BKB.

So what's the problem here exactly? Plenty of other carries get by without needing a nuke/stun.

Are any Arcanas in the drop system? Otherwise Valve just remove "Elegible for Arcana" bs.

Techies Arcana is the only Arcana ever released that didn't drop from day 1 (and still doesn't drop)

There isn't even really a shortage of items to add to the system. There's a few sets on the store that never got added and there's always old tournament items or ancient crate sets nobody buys anymore.

It really seems like they're retiring the system. Let's just hope whatever they replace it with isn't stupid.

shira

Aight GAFtechieshiral brackets
EdXnFYX.png

Friday
t1411174800z1.png

1. kasane vs RVinP
2. ProphetSteve vs Dr.Kirby

3. Winner 1 vs Winner 2

Saturday (Randomization:http://i.imgur.com/21fCumm.png)
t1411261200z1.png

Play-ins
4. ultimatum vs charpyimpact
5. ape vs jamibum
6. demoli vs stevewinwood

Quarterfinals
7. Winner 4 vs kioshen
8. hylian vs pillow
9. bigdog vs haly
10. winner 5 vs winner 6

Semifinals
11. winner 7 vs winner 8
12. winner 9 vs winner 10

Finals
13. winner 11 vs winner 12

NFhGtFq.png

TBD - at the convenience of the winners 3/13
Grandfinals
14. winner 3 vs winner 13

***So to clarify you can win by one kill on the other player.
- If you suicidesquad attack (SSA) and the other player dies you win.
- You can SSA fail once, but 2 SSA fails = gg.
- You can also win by downing the enemy tower
- If there is no kills or towers down by 10 minutes we look at last hits + denies > last hits > EXP > gold as the tiebreakers.

Meet up in the Neogaf channel if you can. If not I can just PM you instructions.

Aselith

Techies Arcana is the only Arcana ever released that didn't drop from day 1 (and still doesn't drop)

There isn't even really a shortage of items to add to the system. There's a few sets on the store that never got added and there's always old tournament items or ancient crate sets nobody buys anymore.

It really seems like they're retiring the system. Let's just hope whatever they replace it with isn't stupid.

Icefrog told me they're going to replace it with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9FepkDBRME

Highest score gets hats

Lotto

I went from League to Dota. Had fun with the former, but the latter was what hooked me once I got the hang of it. Playing support in LoL when I played was about as interesting as chewing marbles. Was weird going to Dota and realizing I could suddenly do a lot of things I couldn't in leeg.

My transition was exactly the same. I played support mostly when I played League and I hardly ever felt relevant/useful to my team (I could have just been really bad but still I felt useless most games even when we won.) Playing Dota 2 I feel useful as a support during any point of the game, it's lovely.

I just bought the despair emote pack, but it hasn't shown up yet.

I even tried typing them in and nothing shows up.

Anyone how I can fix it?

fuuuuuck.

almost lost a 4v5. Took 51 minutes to win with a NP AND a Tinker. :-///////

They were held adrift by a 21-kill WK who kept eating our 1/12 Kunkka and picking off NP/Tinker when they tried to split push. Also a very solid Brood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom