• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It's going to be a classic adventure with a modern touch, thanks to the use of newfangled technology. That's how I read it. The iOS version indeed seems to be not guaranteed, going by the FAQ.

"Modern touch technology" would imply a touch interface, which seems to not mesh well with it only being on Steam unless they get extra funds... heh.

jett

D-Member
Seems to be pretty small, so quite a bit.

Yeah I guess, if by their own admission a XBLA/PSN title would cost several million. I hope we get info on the actual game soon enough. I wish them all the luck for this, Tim creates awesome universes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Interesting. I don't think they'll have any problem hitting their goal well before the deadline. I might throw em fifteen.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wonder what the price of the game will be if you can just donate $15 and get it at the end anyway, is that a super deal, or you pay more, lol. Just curious, I aint funding either way, dunno if I'll like the product yet. Glad others are though.

You know what would be awesome, and I'd gladly pay $100 for this, if all the contributors were listed in the special thanks part of the credits. Getting a Double Fine adventure game is enough though. But just imagine credits where 30 minutes of text scroll was thanking individual fans instead of the typical list of everyone in corporate who had nothing to do with the game but answered the phone once for some VP of Brand Marketing in an office in Shanghai.

Feep

Banned
I'm down. Sequence was partially funded by Kickstarter, and I'm absolutely going to use it again.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I don't have much I can give... but I'll give $15! I love these guys, and it would make me proud to say I was able to back them on this project.

classicdms

Neo Member
I'm not even a fan of point and click adventure games. Just never played all the old school LucasArts stuff.

But Tim Scafer can sell me anything. Pledged 30 bucks.

Svafnir

Christ, this thing is going fast...... I've always wanted my name in a games credits.... Hmmm, is worth the $100?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
This shit's like Louis CK.

I love it.

Home

30 dollars pledged! I'm not even a huge adventure game fan, but it's Double Fine and the documentary bits sound exciting.

20% of the donations have been for $100 or more so far.... That is incredible.

The Double Fine crew has to thrilled to see this kind of support from their fans.

scitek

I'd donate $30, but I'm in the middle of a PC upgrade. :( This and a $100 3DS (newegg giftcard) I'm passing on today. I feel like a bad person.

Kuran

Banned
Did Notch promise to finance the entire game? Did he ever drop a number?

I bet he'll make a nice donation when he wakes up in the morning. Brilliant move by Schafer, he probably counts on Notch's peer pressure making him donate big.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What kind of legal obligation does the person running the kickstarter have to fulfill what they promise?

What happens if they get their $400k but the studio goes under before they finish the game? The money is gone, spent. What happens then?

What about when it isn't a real game studio, and just some dude raising money for some invention he came up with?

Raide

Anyyone else sorta like the idea of a Point and Click adventure using Kinect? Seems like a perfect match tbh.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
20% of the donations have been for $100 or more so far.... That is incredible.

The Double Fine crew has to thrilled to see this kind of support from their fans.
Well, there will obviously be bumps when this appears in popular places like GAF, RPS, whatever else in the coming days, I think it's still too early to tell if they'll manage the 400k. Though they'll probably go ahead with it even if it's just a bit less than that.

Home

Well, there will obviously be bumps when this appears in popular places like GAF, RPS, whatever else in the coming days, I think it's still too early to tell if they'll manage the 400k. Though they'll probably go ahead with it even if it's just a bit less than that.

Once it hits the top of the gaming subreddit on Reddit it'll go up crazy fast. I'd be surprised if it takes more than a week to get to 400k.

What kind of legal obligation does the person running the kickstarter have to fulfill what they promise?

What happens if they get their $400k but the studio goes under before they finish the game? The money is gone, spent. What happens then?

What about when it isn't a real game studio, and just some dude raising money for some invention he came up with?

Then the donors are screwed. Kickstarter has no refund process.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't this the sort of thing Gabe Newell was talking about a couple years back?

Top Bottom