• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

mclem

Just got this update in my email if anyone is interested

I wasn't expecting private videos like that independently of the documentary; that was a nice boon (and felt like I'm in an elite gang... until you realised that despite being private, it's still viewed by upwards of 87k other people).

UraMallas

they've started backer-only updates now.

In the video, Tim says that everything posted on the forum needs to stay there and that if it's posted anywhere else the team should be contacted. Does that mean GAF doesn't get updates? I'm a backer, I just wonder about that statement...

mclem

Alright guys where is this video everyone's on about? Can't find it for the life of me

There's a backer-only update on the KS page.

Edit: Ack. Amusing brainfart. That's what you get when you're browsing the early days of the thread when something similar's recently happened!

mclem

In the video, Tim says that everything posted on the forum needs to stay there and that if it's posted anywhere else the team should be contacted. Does that mean GAF doesn't get updates? I'm a backer, I just wonder about that statement...

I think it means they want to preserve the exclusivity as a treat for backers, which doesn't seem unreasonable, although it would preclude us from doing much discussion about it here. I guess that's the fundamental purpose of them having their own forum, though!

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah I'd presume doing an OT for it here would be a no go, unless everyone wanted to talk in code that vaguely referenced things being discussed elsewhere.

2th

Banned

yeah i guess that kills an OT. though i think i will email them and see if there is ANYTHING we can post to make an OT, since keeping things in a single thread would be nice.

He said maybe, so it may be possible
Tqk4E.png

I don't know if things changed with the budget increase or if he just misspoke on the stream but he without a doubt said it was 3D. I. Fact, he said it on two separate occasions.

I recall it distinctly ecause it surprised me. One of the times, someone even asked if it was going to be 2d and he said no, 3d.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't know if things changed with the budget increase or if he just misspoke on the stream but he without a doubt said it was 3D. I. Fact, he said it on two separate occasions.

I recall it distinctly ecause it surprised me. One of the times, someone even asked if it was going to be 2d and he said no, 3d.

Well, either way, it will be good with me. But he also tweeted this yesterday:

Tim Schafer ‏ @TimOfLegend: @Foggen It would be nice to take a break from 3d on this game.

Along with the earlier discussion suggesting 2D and everything else (other tweets / interviews saying 2D would be cheaper and more unique).

I guess once the private forums go up, we'll know for sure. Except we can't tell anyone or use what's written as proof! :p

duckroll

Everyone on GAF who backed the project will have access to the forum and updates. I don't see why we cannot simply participate in the community there, which we paid for.

Snow

I wonder if there is some weird case of pareidolia going on with one of us, because I watched the entire stream and know what points you're referring to. And I could swear he said 2d.

Certainly everything he said outside of the stream indicates 2d. I don't care that much either way, though the argument Schafer made about 2d being able to showcase handdrawn art in a way that is not possible with 3d swayed me a bit more to the 2d camp.

Snow

Anyone calculate how much they actually receive?
According to Kickstarter, they take 5% and Amazon takes another 3-5%. So worst case $3336371 * 0.9 + $110000 = $3112733.90. That's without accounting for the amount they still need to spend on backer rewards and is going toward both the game and documentary (most toward the game though).

Dipswitch

According to Kickstarter, they take 5% and Amazon takes another 3-5%. So worst case $3336371 * 0.9 + $110000 = $3112733.90. That's without accounting for the amount they still need to spend on backer rewards and is going toward both the game and documentary (most toward the game though).

Tack on $110,000 from the premium backers to that tally. That was raised outside of Kickstarter. No idea what processing fees are associated with that though, and they'll need to factor in the fancy dinners + other rewards as part of that money too

Snow

Tack on $110,000 from the premium backers to that tally. That was raised outside of Kickstarter. No idea what processing fees are associated with that though, and they'll need to factor in the fancy dinners + other rewards as part of that money too
That's the + $110000 in my little equation. :)

2th

Banned

well Kickstarter got a nice ~$150k pay day out of this. not too shabby.

Tomasooie

I wonder if there is some weird case of pareidolia going on with one of us, because I watched the entire stream and know what points you're referring to. And I could swear he said 2d.

Certainly everything he said outside of the stream indicates 2d. I don't care that much either way, though the argument Schafer made about 2d being able to showcase handdrawn art in a way that is not possible with 3d swayed me a bit more to the 2d camp.

Yeah, I heard him say 2D also, and he elaborated by specifically saying it was going to be painted.

mclem

Maybe he just kept adding on extra dimensions as he became more and more inebriated.

I guess that *technically* means that if he got drunk enough, we'll be getting DOTT 2!

Mikeside

I'm so excited for this documentary - my hope is that it's a huge success and means we get a lot of well made, polished documentaries about the development of games.

mclem

I like one of the top searches:

"kickstarter scam"

I'm *hoping* that means that people are showing a healthy scepticism to what the site's offering. Kickstarter's new and unconventional enough that I'm happier if people do a little research before trusting it straight away.

I'm also hoping it's *not* preceded by "How do I go about running a..."

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm *hoping* that means that people are showing a healthy scepticism to what the site's offering. Kickstarter's new and unconventional enough that I'm happier if people do a little research before trusting it straight away.

I'm also hoping it's *not* preceded by "How do I go about running a..."
Realistically, it's probably both.

SOME-MIST

I know I'm skeptical about both that TPS kickstarter by the creators of the ghost recon/rainbox games and the kickstarter by a guy who has never developed a game before...and even if both projects did need money, I'm definitely not interested.

I donated $100 to double fine adventures and I've been considering donating $15 to wasteland, but that might be the end of kickstarter for me..

2th

Banned
Just got an email back from a Greg Rice over at Double Fine http://www.giantbomb.com/greg-rice/72-99113/ Looks like he is one of their producers.

We're working on an update right now to address our stance on privacy. Hopefully we can get that out sometime next week. In the meantime, by all means go ahead and start an OT and post any public information about the project in there.

So I guess I will get to work making an OT. If anyone is interested in helping with graphics i would greatly appreciate it. Seriously, my artistic ability is that of stick figures.

Top Bottom