• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

Tobor

They originally asked for 400K to make 1 game. That would leave them with just under 3 million. Instead of blowing it all on the 1 game why not just make 2 or 3 more games lol. Screw other languages :p

Unless they were gonna fund the rest themselves (after they got 400K), in which case nvm.

Because we aren't funding three games, we're funding one. If crowd sourcing is going to work longterm, developers need to live up to their end of the bargain, and make what their backers paid for.

mclem

Haven't been charged either. Don't worry.

Well, when I funded Pixel Sand I got the notification about being charged *before* the notification about funding being completed.

That said, Pixel Sand had 1005 backers. DFA has 87 times as many!

iammeiam

Been charged. Crazy to think how much my $100 is getting me, vs what it was going to get me when I first signed up (in the first $100,000, IIRC).

I was in it for just a poster! Now I get extra stuff.

So hyped.

3 million in 1998 dollars, which would be a bit over 4 million now adjusted. I think they ended at a pretty good number. Grim also was 3D and this game will be 2D, so dunno how much that saves in production cost.

This game is 3D. Tim said so multiple times during the two hour kickstarter closing countdown.

But you guys are also forgetting that this isn't the entire revenue source for the game. All those sales when it comes out on IOS and Steam will boost it significantly.

Snow

This game is 3D. Tim said so multiple times during the two hour kickstarter closing countdown.

But you guys are also forgetting that this isn't the entire revenue source for the game. All those sales when it comes out on IOS and Steam will boost it significantly.
The sound quality wasn't great on the stream, but I thought I heard him say 2D. I know he said it would be 2D on twitter and in some interviews. One of the motivations being that he would like to make a game that could directly display some of the handdrawn art of some artists he knows (mentioned in the Gilbert/Shafer video).

And we're talking about development budget rather than end profit here mostly, to get a sense of what scope the game can have. Revenue after the game is finished doesn't really matter for that since DF isn't investing themselves, game budget will completely come from Kickstarter.

Sentenza

Because we aren't funding three games, we're funding one. If crowd sourcing is going to work longterm, developers need to live up to their end of the bargain, and make what their backers paid for.
Exactly. People gave them money to *fund* one game. That's what they are supposed to do: use these 3 millions in the attempt to make the game bigger and better.
They will have all the chances to rack their pure profit out of it and invest it elsewhere when the game will be published and they will sell copies to a general audience.

Snow

Exactly. People gave them money to *fund* one game. That's what they are supposed to do: use these 3 millions in the attempt to make the game bigger and better.
They will have all the chances to rack their pure profit out of it and invest it elsewhere when the game will be published and they will sell copies to a general audience.
Also, 300k really would've bought a pretty small game. Maybe the size of a couple Sam and Max episodes (only played the first couple, so thinking of those), but without voice. With this budget they will be able to make a game that in terms of scope will be able to go toe-to-toe with the best of the old 2d adventure games, at least in theory.

Minsc

Gold Member
what wrong with using this thread until the game is released

This thread is about the kickstarter campaign... which is now over. The game getting named or screens being released or other info of interest should be in a new thread. New threads for new news, etc. :)

Wonder if anyone else caught this mention of the 2D/3D from earlier, I watched the last ten minutes of the stream, but it must have been mentioned before that. Ron Gilbert clearly says the game needs to be 2D in an earlier interview. I'd prefer it to be, but The Book of Unwritten Tales looked stunning at times, so I'd be happy either way.

Instro

This thread is about the kickstarter campaign... which is now over. The game getting named or screens being released or other info will be of interest should be in a new thread. New threads for new news, etc. :)

Wonder if anyone else caught this mention of the 2D/3D from earlier, I watched the last ten minutes of the stream, but it must have been mentioned before that. Ron Gilbert clearly says the game needs to be 2D in an earlier interview. I'd prefer it to be, but The Book of Unwritten Tales looked stunning at times, so I'd be happy either way.

Schafer said on stream it would be 2D, although I believe it was confirmed prior to this.

Aaron

3 million in 1998 dollars, which would be a bit over 4 million now adjusted. I think they ended at a pretty good number. Grim also was 3D and this game will be 2D, so dunno how much that saves in production cost.
3 million was the adjusted figure.

nickcv

This thread is about the kickstarter campaign... which is now over. The game getting named or screens being released or other info of interest should be in a new thread. New threads for new news, etc. :)

2D for the win... i played a pretty much every adventure worth mentioning and 2D sprites are just a win win combination for the genre... Myst was great in 3D as long as it was pre-rendered, and i really think it lost a lot of it charms with Myst V

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I wouldn't care either way, tbh.
I just wish it to be animated as well as Monkey Island 2.

Acosta

Seeing what Daedalic is achieving in last times I really hope it´s 2D (I kinda remember Tim said it would be 2D anyway):

mAD1Fl.jpg

Dark Eye: The Chains of Satinav

Vitet

Some Twitter even asked Tim directly if they will use the Brutal Legend engine in more games and his response was: "Yes but not on this game because it will be in 2D"

Some Twitter even asked Tim directly if they will use the Brutal Legend engine in more games and his response was: "Yes but not on this game because it will be in 2D"

Seems crazy that they wouldn't just use the 3D engine and then fix the view so it looks 2D like in Puzzle agent.

Maybe they're making the whole game in lua or something, that'd be rad.

BluWacky

Seeing what Daedalic is achieving in last times I really hope it´s 2D (I kinda remember Tim said it would be 2D anyway):

Thing is, though, that although Daedalic's static artwork is great, the character animation is usually pretty poor; it feels like their characters slide around the screen a bit. I'd rather have slightly lower quality graphics if Double Fine can make the player character(s?) feel more connected to the backgrounds.

Minsc

Gold Member
It depends a bit on how well the Brütal engine runs on Android / iOS too I suppose, since they'll be releasing there as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

mAD1Fl.jpg

Dark Eye: The Chains of Satinav

Holy shit, and coming out soon! I had no idea that game even existed. Time to get excited!

2th

Banned
So I guess im going to do the progress OT for this.

im going to basically just keep a thread updated with what they release to the Kickstarter people. nothing that we arent allowed to repost though. since this will be the development of a game unlike any other, where they are striving for transparency, a single OT will probably be more useful than lots of little threads.

Though if anyone can help with images I would appreciate it since my art skills are stick figures alone.

Just got this update in my email if anyone is interested

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

We just wanted to shoot over a quick update to let you guys know what we're going to be working on over the next few weeks. We have a lovely new video update from Tim himself to do just this.

Here's a quick note about how this will work for all future videos. We want to make sure that the only folks that are going to be able to see these videos are the people who paid for them, and THAT'S YOU! Because of this, all future videos posted will only be viewable on the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter page and in the backer forums (which will be opening soon!). The links you'll see in update emails won't actually work. Do not be alarmed!

Top Bottom