• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dracula |OT| Jonathan Rhys Meyers Wants Your Blood – Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenist

So you don't like Dracula?

Bram Stoker's Dracula was hardly romantic. Sure you could classify it as part of romantic literature if you wanted but Dracula as a creature remained a personification of evil. Through and through. A monster, a plague with death being its true goal.

Yeah, that was exactly how I felt too.

Most reviewers did not like the pilot, but did enjoy the later episodes. We shall see.

My wife is willing to give it a few more episodes before jumping ship. She reasons that there is nothing else on Friday nights besides Haven, so it wont hurt to give it another chance.

And hopefully it does pick up after the pilot.

Alpende

I just watched it. The ancient order thing and the revenge plot are a bit been there done that but I liked it overall. Rhys Myers is good as Dacula, his accent doesn't bother me that much. I'm most interested in his story line with Van Helsing.

I'll keep watching.

woodland

I loved it until the end
where he became bloodthirsty and it turned into a swordfighting show

Always more of a fan of political type dramas, there are enough actions^^

I kinda like the action part this show is going to be.

Kinda enjoyed the pilot its not bad. I would have thought he would lay lo being a vampire but that interview kinda explained it

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked it. I appreciated the measured pace - it felt very cable-y to me - scenes were given time to breathe, though this did result in the episode feeling a bit slow. Nevertheless, episode one was clearly just the setup; I'm sure things will pick up as the season progresses. So far I think it's off to a promising start.

Other thoughts:

The opening credits are pretty cool, though I think a more abstract Hannibal-esque approach would have been better.

The series looks very good overall. The costumes and scenery all look nice and expensive - a lot better than many cable shows set in the same period (Copper, Ripper Street).

The cinematography was good. In particular, I thought that the scenes featuring the foggy streets of London were filmed in such a way as to evoke old vampire movies from decades past. Nice touch.

The light bulb scene was cool, though I was distracted by the fact that each light bulb had it's own lens flare.

I'd keep watching just for Jonathan Rhys Meyers' terrible American accent. Talk about 'so bad it's good'.

Mm, I had heard beforehand that his accent was terrible (I usually don't pick up on that sort of thing unless it's really really bad) so I was paying close attention to it throughout the episode and I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I've certainly heard much worse.

I actually thought that Jonathan Rhys Meyers made for a pretty compelling Dracula.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It was OK, it didn't blow me away though. I'll continue to watch it and hopefully it picks up.

Unfortunately, I did not get the time to watch the premiere last night or tonight. Will watch it tomorrow.

What's the deal with casting Dracula as the hero though? Is a straight up good guy, an anti-hero, what?

Alpende

I'm not too sure yet. I'm also kind of confused. The Order of the Dragon consists of vampires right and Dracula wants to end them. But the chick he made out with is also a vampire and member of that order, what's Dracula's angle with her? Does she not know that Dracula is after them and how does she know he's a vampire?

Should we assume that everyone knows that vampires are around or that they're legends or mythical beings or something.

Wiktor

That was a bit shaky, but very promising. Seems like there will be lots of delicious cheese. It turned into awesome once they whipped out the katanas.

And Rhys Meyers is charismatic as hell.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What's the deal with casting Dracula as the hero though? Is a straight up good guy, an anti-hero, what?

Anti hero. He's sort of like The Count in 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.

I'm not too sure yet. I'm also kind of confused. The Order of the Dragon consists of vampires right and Dracula wants to end them. But the chick he made out with is also a vampire and member of that order, what's Dracula's angle with her? Does she not know that Dracula is after them and how does she know he's a vampire?

Should we assume that everyone knows that vampires are around or that they're legends or mythical beings or something.

I don't quite remember, but the 5 part prequel motion comic thing NBC released a few days ago sheds some light on that.

Link to the full thing.

Oh yeah, for sure. I thought the accent was corny but other than that Rhys Meyers was as great as I thought he would be. This role is pretty much made for him.

I had never seen him in anything before and I had always heard that he was horrible in The Tudors, so I was bracing myself for the worst, but I was quite impressed with his performance here.

dbztrk

The production value is high and the cast for the most part is adequate. However, I found it lacked something. I found myself a bit bored. Hopefully it will improve.

Ricker

I have it on DVR,I hope I will be pleasantly surprised like I was with Reign(only watched the first episode of Reign).

KorrZ

Anti hero. He's sort of like The Count in 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.

I don't quite remember, but the 5 part prequel motion comic thing NBC released a few days ago sheds some light on that.

Link to the full thing.

I had never seen him in anything before and I had always heard that he was horrible in The Tudors, so I was bracing myself for the worst, but I was quite impressed with his performance here.

My lord! What the hell am I reading here? He was pretty great in the Tudors, pretty much the main reason I was interested in checking out this show.

Alpende

Link to the full thing.

Thanks. So as far as I understood the video he became too powerful for the Order's liking and didn't fully commit himself to their believes. So they took his girlfriend and burned her and turned him into a vampire? Something like that?

Overall I liked the pilot.

Decent opening with the Romanian tomb.

The party actually felt too expository, though I know they had to set things up.

Thereafter things carried along quite nicely, with the old dude getting killed off, the Nina stalking, the revelation that Van Helsing and Dracula are working together and the swordfight on the roof.

I'm glad it's only 10 episodes, so hopefully they'll keep things tight.

Question: I thought the Order of the Dragon were out to kill vampires, but someone suggests they are vampires. Anyone know for sure?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
This show is going to be Batman with vampires isn't it?

'Grayson' is Bruce Wayne. Renfield is Alfred. Van Helsing is Commisioner Gordon. Order of the Dragon are the 'real' big bads. Hot blonde that Dracula bites at opera is Cat women? Jonathan Harker is going to end up going all Harvey Dent. Mina Harker is Maggie Gylenhall/Katie Holmes character. Dracula's even got a Lucius fox gadget creator. There are so many parallels.

I may be wrong but it sure doesn't feel like it so far!

Hold the phone.

Did that guy in the beginning have a flashlight?

And LOL at that sword part. That's around the time I went from bored of this show to laughing at it.

'Grayson' is Bruce Wayne. Renfield is Alfred. Van Helsing is Commisioner Gordon. Order of the Dragon are the 'real' big bads. Hot blonde that Dracula bites at opera is Cat women? Jonathan Harker is going to end up going all Harvey Dent. Mina Harker is Maggie Gylenhall/Katie Holmes character. Dracula's even got a Lucius fox gadget creator. There are so many parallels.

Me likey.

Alpende

Overall I liked the pilot.

Decent opening with the Romanian tomb.

The party actually felt too expository, though I know they had to set things up.

Thereafter things carried along quite nicely, with the old dude getting killed off, the Nina stalking, the revelation that Van Helsing and Dracula are working together and the swordfight on the roof.

I'm glad it's only 10 episodes, so hopefully they'll keep things tight.

Question: I thought the Order of the Dragon were out to kill vampires, but someone suggests they are vampires. Anyone know for sure?

I'm not sure about the Order too. I thought that chick, a member of that Order, Dracula made out with was a vampire because suddenly blood started coming out of her mouth.

Kimaka

I didn't like the pilot or the anti-hero thing they are going for with Dracula. I'll watch a few more episodes before writing it off but so far the show is too goofy and not the type of vampire show I wanted it to be.

actually like it but the pilot and that motion comic are pretty confusing. Is Dracula the first vampire? Are the Order formally were a bunch of religious fanatic then became a vampire hunter order? And why did the chick not get alarm when he kiss her even though she was was bleeding from lip?
Anyway do hope the show make him out more of a monster that capable of doing anything to help his cause.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My lord! What the hell am I reading here? He was pretty great in the Tudors, pretty much the main reason I was interested in checking out this show.

I've only ever heard bad things about his performance in 'The Tudors'. People are always going on about how wooden he was and how he dragged the whole thing down, so I've always sort of had a bad impression of him despite never having actually seen him in anything before 'Dracula'.

Thanks. So as far as I understood the video he became too powerful for the Order's liking and didn't fully commit himself to their believes. So they took his girlfriend and burned her and turned him into a vampire? Something like that?

Yeah, I think so. The Order of the Dragon was actually a real thing, so we might be able to glean some info from the Wikipedia page.

The Order of the Dragon was a monarchial order for selected nobility, created in Hungary in the late Middle Ages. The Order required its initiates to defend the Cross and fight the enemies of Christianity.

Count Dracula took up a military profession in the Order of the Dragon, defeating the Turks by impaling them and winning the name "Dracula" meaning "son of the dragon" or "son of the Devil." However, he left behind the order after he gave up Christianity when his wife committed suicide.

The prequel comic makes it seem like they're some sort of satanic cult though, with rituals involving goats and human sacrifices and cauldrons filled with blood, so I'm assuming that they were the ones who turned him into a vampire. I have no idea why they would do that though.

actually like it but the pilot and that motion comic are pretty confusing. Is Dracula the first vampire? Are the Order formally were a bunch of religious fanatic then became a vampire hunter order? And why did the chick not get alarm when he kiss her even though she was was bleeding from lip?

The showrunner is Daniel Knauf, creator of the mystery/question filled 'Carnivale', so I wouldn't be surprised if they teased this stuff out across the entire season.

Heh, you just might be on to something!

Just caught the pilot. I actually really liked it. My kind of a ridiculous and trashy. It was amusing how the only notes that Harkness wrote were 'Visionary Delusional Egomaniac'.

I lol'd.

Holy shit. This is amazing. Excellent way to describe the show.

cmr-94

Wait, so Henry VIII was actually a vampire?

I've only ever heard bad things about his performance in 'The Tudors'. People are always going on about how wooden he was and how he dragged the whole thing down, so I've always sort of had a bad impression of him despite never having actually seen him in anything before 'Dracula'.

He was awesome.... god i really did like that show

KorrZ

I thought he was quite good, definitely worth checking out if you're interested in the time period.

Just how good (or bad) is Jessica De Gouw in this?

She's just sort of... there. All I got is that she is a woman in a British medical school, is the smartest one, likes a poor-ass reporter, and no one seems to be discriminatory towards here. She just... exists. Well, she says she's seen Dracula before, like deja vu.

IN NINETEENTH CENTURY ENGLAND WHERE SHE IS THE ONLY FEMALE MEDICAL STUDENT.

I found this more unbelievable than the vampires and conspiracies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought he was quite good, definitely worth checking out if you're interested in the time period.

I do intend to watch it at some point. I wasn't going to let the negative comments about the lead actor drive me away from such an interesting sounding series!

IN NINETEENTH CENTURY ENGLAND WHERE SHE IS THE ONLY FEMALE MEDICAL STUDENT.

I found this more unbelievable than the vampires and conspiracies.

There were female medical students back then but I think they had to go to special women's colleges to become educated. I don't think they were allowed to go to regular men's colleges. I don't know enough about that aspect of history to say whether or not it's inaccurate, but it did feel somewhat anachronistic to me.

I do intend to watch it at some point. I wasn't going to let the negative comments about the lead actor drive me away from such an interesting sounding series!

There were female medical students back then but I think they had to go to special women's colleges to become educated. I don't think they were allowed to go to regular men's colleges. I don't know enough about that aspect of history to say whether or not it's inaccurate, but it did feel somewhat anachronistic to me.
Tudors was excellent. Rhys-Myers does a great job. Highly recommended.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Episode 2 "A Whiff Of Sulfer"

Grayson takes Lady Jayne as a lover even as he investigates her lethal connections to The Order of the Dragon. Grayson helps Mina face a critical challenge at medical school. Van Helsing continues his quest to develop a solar vaccine to enable Grayson to conquer sunlight. Jonathan Harker strikes a devil's bargain with Grayson which has unexpected consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom