• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag-on Dragoon 3 (Drakengard 3) announced for PS3 [Details in OP]

But how are they gonna continue the story?!

Draken 1-> Nier basically tells that mankind went extinct. Totally wiped out from the earth. Maybe this is prequel?

Continue from another of Drakenguard 1's endings, or one of Drakenguard 2's endings?

The dragon sections are ass, ground combat isn't so bad.

Honestly felt the opposite when I played the game years ago when it first came out. Was really big into the Dynasty Warriors games though so how bad the ground combat was really stuck out, while I hadn't played the panzer dragoon games yet so didn't know how much better the sky parts could be.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What the hell how?! How is this possible!? I swore this franchise's final swan song was nier.

I am most pleased by this, time to finish off drakengard again, though it does worry me. I loved Drakengard 1 a lot, but while 2 felt like a solid improvement it just didn't have the same tone, and I really hated Nowa or whatever his face.

Also if they continue from that story line I would feel a little disappointed, I hope they go with ending D or C from drakengard 1

Midou

Drakengard 1 had pedophilia, incest, child murder, cannibalism, fantasy nukes, eldritch giants, and a lot more.

I guess it has been almost 10 years since it came out. Literally all I remember is the combat. :p

Would buy HD collection at this point.

Would sure like high-def versions of Drakengard, Drakengard 2 and
Nier

Squire

Banned
What the hell how?! How is this possible!? I swore this franchise's final swan song was nier.

I am most pleased by this, time to finish off drakengard again, though it does worry me. I loved Drakengard 1 a lot, but while 2 felt like a solid improvement it just didn't have the same tone, and I really hated Nowa or whatever his face.

Also if they continue from that story line I would feel a little disappointed, I hope they go with ending D or C from drakengard 1

You should interview the director and get the story on how the project came together. Could make for decent ratings.

Taruranto

Honestly felt the opposite when I played the game years ago when it first came out. Was really big into the Dynasty Warriors games though so how bad the ground combat was really stuck out, while I hadn't played the panzer dragoon games yet so didn't know how much better the sky parts could be.

I sorta agree,
The first battle against Inuart
on the dragon was the only thing that could be called remotely "fun" in Drakengard. (and even that was kinda ass)

The sequences on foot where... i don't even know how could someone come up with something so dull, boring and awful. It's not even a good Dynasty Warriors clone due to the slow gameplay and low-number of enemies visible.

Clevinger

Someone elsewhere is saying that, ACCORDING TO A SHITTY AUTO TRANSLATOR
don't kill me duckroll
, one of the characters in that new Dragon Dragoon manga is called "One." So it might give us a nice teaser into the setting and fuckupdness of this game's story.

Continue from another of Drakenguard 1's endings, or one of Drakenguard 2's endings?

You could even continue on from THAT Drakengard ending because it's not like the world Caim left behind suddenly stopped existing when he disappeared into Nier's world.

Cidd

Someone elsewhere is saying that, ACCORDING TO A SHITTY AUTO TRANSLATOR
don't kill me duckroll
, one of the characters in that new Dragon Dragoon manga is called "One." So it might give us a nice teaser into the setting and fuckupdness of this game's story.

You could even continue on from THAT Drakengard ending because it's not like the world Caim left behind suddenly stopped existing when he disappeared into Nier's world.

I don't think my mind is ready..

Clevinger

Did you even read this thread?

Of course. I meant maybe the manga is tied to the game if that guy is right. Not that I was bringing this brand new info about a character named "One." I haven't seen much info in this thread about the manga other than that Taro is involved.

Reveirg

Wow, such an unexpected announcement... just GREAT. I was really really looking forward to Taro's next project, and was really hoping Okabe would return.

NIER is one of this gen's greatest games IMO, I'm really glad we're getting another game from the creative people behind it.

Seems to be like S-E is slowly getting their act together:

-Could this somewhat confirm that this was indeed about console games? (referring to this: "Near the end he mentions that during 2013, they're planning on releasing internally made epic and famous consumer games one after another.")
-With KH HD, FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Lightning Returns and now this, it looks like S-E is finally getting those HD games out after a 3 years slump.
-Putting back Taro in charge of a new HD game is the kind of gutsy decision S-E used to do in the past, before they went all social-games-frenzy-fest on us.

Midou

Wow, such an unexpected announcement... just GREAT. I was really really looking forward to Taro's next project, and was really hoping Okabe would return.

NIER is one of this gen's greatest games IMO, I'm really glad we're getting another game from the creative people behind it.

Seems to be like S-E is slowly getting their act together:

-Could this somewhat confirm that this was indeed about console games? (referring to this: "Near the end he mentions that during 2013, they're planning on releasing internally made epic and famous consumer games one after another.")
-With KH HD, FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Lightning Returns and now this, it looks like S-E is finally getting those HD games out after a 3 years slump.
-Putting back Taro in charge of a new HD game is the kind of gutsy decision S-E used to do in the past, before they went all social-games-frenzy-fest on us.

But Lightning Returns and XIV is part of the reason a slump even exists. :p

We'll see at E3 though, if Square Enix is ready to return to gaming.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Holy cow this was unexpected. What amazing news, I loved D1 and Nier. Never finished D2 but I will now.

BHK3

Banned
Uh, not really. It's just subtle instead of blatant. It's very much still there.

I had no idea what was up with Furiae at all in D1, same thing with Leonard and Aroich. I just thought they were all crazy murderers. Leonard just seemed to be crying all the time with his fairy being a dick and not caring about anything while Arioch was just plain nuts, then again any subtles I won't remember since it's been about 10 years since I played them.

Tytree

Neo Member
I had no idea what was up with Furiae at all in D1, same thing with Leonard and Aroich. I just thought they were all crazy murderers.
That might just mean you're slow (or, more likely, you don't remember the little things). I could tell there was a lot of dark stuff going on, and I hadn't heard about how much before I played it.

SGRemy

Of course. I meant maybe the manga is tied to the game if that guy is right. Not that I was bringing this brand new info about a character named "One." I haven't seen much info in this thread about the manga other than that Taro is involved.
The manga tie-in speculation happened earlier in the thread

Paracelsus

I had no idea what was up with Furiae at all in D1, same thing with Leonard and Aroich. I just thought they were all crazy murderers. Leonard just seemed to be crying all the time with his fairy being a dick and not caring about anything while Arioch was just plain nuts, then again any subtles I won't remember since it's been about 10 years since I played them.

Iirc Furiae
only wants to have sex with Caim, that's why she kills herself before admitting it

oni_saru

That would probably explain why I don't remember anything like that..

Actually the pedophilia was what was censored the most. Everything else was slightly toned down but still there.

I'm sure there still exist a few people that don't know the whole truth about Leonard. :O

Is Drakengard worth going back and playing these days? Its a game that I somehow completely missed the first time around. I think when I saw the name I tended to confuse it with the PC RPG series Drakensang.

It's pretty cheap on Amazon at the moment, and I tend to like weird/interesting games even if they're not well polished. I'm a fan of both Nier and Deadly Premonition.

Is Drakengard worth going back and playing these days? Its a game that I somehow completely missed the first time around. I think when I saw the name I tended to confuse it with the PC RPG series Drakensang.

It's pretty cheap on Amazon at the moment, and I tend to like weird/interesting games even if they're not well polished. I'm a fan of both Nier and Deadly Premonition.
Your mileage may vary, I loved Nier and could put up with Deadly Premonition's flaws but couldn't for Drakengard.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You should interview the director and get the story on how the project came together. Could make for decent ratings.

Coast to Coast was taken off air ;___; otherwise I would have gotten my people to call their people.

I have lots of people
if you know what i mean *wink

FourMyle

Hoooly shit. Cavia back from the grave! This game and Persona 5 are going to get me back into JRPGs again!

Now if only Team Symphonia would release a new tales game ..

I think that depends on your views towards Dynasty Warriors type combat system. If you enjoy it then pick up Drakengard for sure. I loved that game.

LuuKyK

Wow, very unexpected indeed. But yet, once again Square proves to be such a flaw free producer and publisher with their choices and decisions. Yet another iconic entry on their list of remarkable games. Now they should replace the meh-tier franchises like Hitmeh and some random games like that Heavy Rain clone, and they will pretty much be perfect. About this game though, based on all the info we have for now, its impossible to not be excited. Looking at the scans too, the character design is awesome. Cant wait to see how it all looks in motion.

I don't really know much about the Drakengard series, but is it a series where story continuity is important? Would I have to play the first two to play this one?

There's an announcement in Famitsu this week for Drag-on Dragoon 3. It's still an action RPG. No details on developer or publisher yet, or platform. There are two characters revealed, the main character is a girl called Zero, and her younger sister is One. Zero is an Utautai - some sort of person with special powers. She has a flower growing in her right eye. She also has an artificial left arm. Her sister One is another Utautai, but has a completely different characteristic compared to Zero.

Producer: Takamasa Shiba
Creative Director and Scenario: Yoko Taro
Character Design: Kimihiko Fujisaki
Music Director: Keiichi Okabe
Developer: Access Games
Publisher: Square Enix

- Ground combat missions and dragon aerial combat confirmed
- High speed action
- Zero uses a sword

More shit:

Fuck yes!

Shinta

Banned
Well, saw the scans, seen the staff working on it. Can't be more hyped.

I'll just say one thing to all the people in this thread who are excited. NieR did not sell very well. Later, it became a cult hit and was regarded by many as one of the best games made this generation.

Cavia fell apart and was absorbed into Marvelous AQL, and for all we knew they would never follow up with another game again.

Well now they are, and it's not a portable game, or a browser game, or a mobile game either. It's an HD console game.

So remember when it comes time for this thing to come out that you need to actually buy it, or even pre-order it. Don't be one of those people that says they're waiting for a price cut. Don't change your mind at the last minute and then only give it credit years later when the studio is dissolved and it's way too late. Just buy the damn game if you're really that excited about this news. I want to see these guys continue to make games into the future on PS4 and beyond.

That's all. :D

Well, saw the scans, seen the staff working on it. Can't be more hyped.

I'll just say one thing to all the people in this thread who are excited. NieR did not sell very well. Later, it became a cult hit and was regarded by many as one of the best games made this generation.

Cavia fell apart and was absorbed into Marvelous AQL, and for all we knew they would never follow up with another game again.

Well now they are, and it's not a portable game, or a browser game, or a mobile game either. It's an HD console game.

So remember when it comes time for this thing to come out that you need to actually buy it, or even pre-order it. Don't be one of those people that says they're waiting for a price cut. Don't change your mind at the last minute and then only give it credit years later when the studio is dissolved and it's way too late. Just buy the damn game if you're really that excited about this news. I want to see these guys continue to make games into the future on PS4 and beyond.

That's all. :D

You have my sword.

Top Bottom