• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag-on Dragoon 3 (Drakengard 3) announced for PS3 [Details in OP]

Original Drakengard/Nier Team Reunites For Drakengard 3

Square Enix brought together team members from the Drakengard series and Nier to make Drakengard 3. The PlayStation 3 sequel has Taro Yoko, the director on Nier and Drakengard, as the director and scenario creator for Drakengard 3.

Kimihiko Fujisaka (Drakengard, The Last Story) is the character designer, Keiichi Okabe is working on the music, and Drakengad producer Takamasa Shiba is the producer of Drakengard 3.

there are no amount of m.bison-yes.gif that can describe how happy and hyped I am right now.

Kaldea

I didn't care for the gameplay of the other games or Nier, but I feel like I'm sold on this by the character art/info alone. :(

But how are they gonna continue the story?!

Draken 1-> Nier basically tells that mankind went extinct. Totally wiped out from the earth. Maybe this is prequel?

Drakengard and Nier take place on seperate worlds. Major Drakengard spoilers:
Nier occurs after Drakengard Ending E, where the Giant Evil Pregnant Lady gets destroyed by Caim after both of them are sent trough a dimensional rift to modern-day Earth. Unfortunately, her remaining essence causes the apocalypse. The plot of Nier begins after her essense was sent back to the Drakengard world.

Squire

Banned
Wow, such an unexpected announcement... just GREAT. I was really really looking forward to Taro's next project, and was really hoping Okabe would return.

NIER is one of this gen's greatest games IMO, I'm really glad we're getting another game from the creative people behind it.

Seems to be like S-E is slowly getting their act together:

-Could this somewhat confirm that this was indeed about console games? (referring to this: "Near the end he mentions that during 2013, they're planning on releasing internally made epic and famous consumer games one after another.")
-With KH HD, FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Lightning Returns and now this, it looks like S-E is finally getting those HD games out after a 3 years slump.
-Putting back Taro in charge of a new HD game is the kind of gutsy decision S-E used to do in the past, before they went all social-games-frenzy-fest on us.

SE Japan announces one game people have (sort of) been asking for and they're "slowly getting their act together"? Forgive me, but I think you're reading too much into this and speaking way too soon. Lets not let the hype go to our heads.

Actually the pedophilia was what was censored the most. Everything else was slightly toned down but still there.

I'm sure there still exist a few people that don't know the whole truth about Leonard. :O

It is kind of amazing that a guy on the playable character's side was a full-on pedophile, one portrayed somewhat sympathetically no less.

How many mainstream (as in released on a console) games can you say do that?

ultron87

What a bizarre announcement.

The only thing I know about Drakengard is from the Let's Play, but it sounds like it is my kind of crazy. And Nier was great. So bring this game on.

And of course she has a flower in her eye.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, had no idea The Last Story's art designer did Drakengard, good stuff.

It becomes more obvious when you compare the art side by side:

dod2.0_cinema_960.0fms0f.jpg

231159-headerwxs16.jpg

Reveirg

SE Japan announces one game people have (sort of) been asking for and they're "slowly getting their act together"? Forgive me, but I think you're reading too much into this and speaking way too soon. Lets not let the hype go to our heads.

I actually quoted 4 games, not 1!

We'll have to wait to make a verdict on the quality of said games... But it's reassuring to see they're actually developing SOME HD games!!

Squire

Banned
I actually quoted 4 games, not 1!

We'll have to wait to make a verdict on the quality of said games... But it's reassuring to see they're actually developing SOME HD games!!

A re-release, a retooled MMO, and an unwanted sequel to a line of games most typically favored by the foolish.

You're not working with much.

The issue has never been SE developing HD games, it's SE developing HD games of quality and in a timely manner. But yes, we shall see.

Reveirg

A re-release, a retooled MMO, and an unwanted sequel to a line of games most typically favored by the foolish.

You're not working with much.

The issue has never been SE developing HD games, it's SE developing HD games of quality and in a timely manner. But yes, we shall see.

I strongly disagree. They've put out fantastic HD games earlier in the gen (The Last Remnant, Nier, FFXIII-2).

For me, the issue is the very low output of HD games in recent years, and it looks like this is finally turning around. When they do get through, I'm generally really pleased with their work.

And Kingdom Hearts is a great series!!!

MCD

I remember crying when Red Dragon told Caim to pat her head before fighting Beelzebub Dragon.

So many FEELS with this series.

MCD

Drakengard 2 was still dark from what I recall.

I also remember the main girl talking about her period in one of the scenes.

Very nice to hear this series continuing. I recently hooked up my PS2 primarily to revisit Drakengard 2, so news of a new game certainly has my attention.

Clevinger

Drakengard and Nier take place on seperate worlds. Major Drakengard spoilers:
Nier occurs after Drakengard Ending E, where the Giant Evil Pregnant Lady gets destroyed by Caim after both of them are sent trough a dimensional rift to modern-day Earth. Unfortunately, her remaining essence causes the apocalypse. The plot of Nier begins after her essense was sent back to the Drakengard world.

I don't think that's right.

About the essence being sent back. The beginning of Nier takes place in a modern store. Plus, I remember reading those developer interviews that I think was in an artbook or something that goes indepth into the setting and it describes all the modern warfare that goes on trying to combat the evil shit Caim brought with him, how it fails, and then how they develop all that crazy replicant and mind transfer stuff as a last resort.

So Drakengard's world should be fine. Caim took all that evil insanity (or the main part, anyway) out of Drakengard's world and into our world and doomed us.

Or maybe I'm confusing what you were trying to say. If so, nevermind.

Drakengard 2 was still dark from what I recall.

I also remember the main girl talking about her period in one of the scenes.

Some dark(but not Drakengard dark) things happened in it, but it came off pretty optimistically in the end. Was also pretty dumb in the way it approached moral ambiguity.
I don't think that's right.

About the essence being sent back. The beginning of Nier takes place in a modern store. Plus, I remember reading those developer interviews that I think was in an artbook or something that goes indepth into the setting and it describes all the modern warfare that goes on trying to combat the evil shit Caim brought with him, how it fails, and then how they develop all that crazy replicant and mind transfer stuff as a last resort.

So Drakengard's world should be fine. Caim took all that evil insanity (or the main part, anyway) out of Drakengard's world and into our world and doomed us.

Or maybe I'm confusing what you were trying to say. If so, nevermind.

The first scene in Nier is a prelude that takes place over 1000 years before the plot proper begins.
In the intervening time, some androids and replicants got rid of the the corrupting entity by sending it back where it came from.

MCD

Saw the scans.

Yeah, just bring back Caim because I am not feeling another clone of that "girl" from Nier and another clone from Drakengard 2 main girl.

M-PG71C

Oh fuck yeah! That is absolutely amazing and its GOTY news for me. I loved the first two games so this one is a no brainer. I really need to get around to trying Nier.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
According to the regular guy who breaks news on 2ch:

Creative Director: Yoko Taro
Character Design: Kimihiko Fujisaki
Music Director: Keiichi Okabe

Dragon aerial sequences are also confirmed.

I'll update the OP when we have a "visual" confirmation.

Omfg, how is this happening? I feel like we've entered some weird sort of alternate timeline where anything can happen. Next up: Shenmu 3.

Folstern

Art direction looks good. Another out of left field play by Square-Enix.

They've got me curious enough to try the first two games.

Dragun619

hm, I sorta liked Drakengard 1, just cause it was like dynasty Warriors, but I never got around to beating it. But I see mentions of Nier team reuniting, so I'll be excited just for this, SE.

But I'm mostly excited tho, for that ost especially if it can match or be surpass nier's ost.

This does make me want to replay the first 2. I remember virtually nothing about the first one other than babies and being enamored with the amount of swords you could get. I don't remember a single thing about 2.

RyoonZ

Banned
Nier is one of the best game this generation for me. I love the requirement to unlock all the ending and looking things from different perspective. This is the only game that made me cry
the wolf part.
I also believe that almost everyone who play Nier will came here and leave the game just to hear the music.

jbySv2qNgLBsJo.jpg

Very excited for Drakengard 3. Zero gives me Kaine vibe. I only beaten Drakengard 2 and only got 1 ending, it'll be nice if they made HD Collection too but regardless very excited for this!

madhtr

I hope there will be many flying evil babies that eat pedophiles in the game.... and crazy ladies who murder kids.

john tv

Taro is his first name, BTW. Family name is Yokoo (or Yoko, if you prefer). Seems funny for everyone saying "Taro is doing this" and "Taro said that" -- it's like talking about Nintendo and saying "Shigeru is doing this" and "Satoru said that" :)

Top Bottom