• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 2 - first screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I am loving the new screenshots - while some of them look a bit marred, most of them are very good (especially the convo wheel shot with Hawke's perturbed face) :D

Mr_Zombie

Please, tell me that those are console screenshots :/
The texture resolution and IQ overall is horrible. I was playing DA:O on not-so-gaming laptop and the game looked a lot better.

Nirolak said:
Actually it turns out your party members will still leave based on your actions.

Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3164677&lf=8

Remember how Obsidian worked in how if you became close enough to companions you could change their ideologies and they'd support you in choices they would have otherwise left you over? But why improve on what DA already offered?

Seriously am not looking forwards to this, DA was alight but this game seems to be taking several steps backwards.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Spirit of Jazz said:
Remember how Obsidian worked in how if you became close enough to companions you could change their ideologies and they'd support you in choices they would have otherwise left you over? But why improve on what DA already offered?

Seriously am not looking forwards to this, DA was alight but this game seems to be taking several steps backwards.
Actually there were some moments in DA where your companions would leave you if you didn't have a high enough reputation.

For example, Zevran meeting his friend in Denerim.

tokkun

Nirolak said:
Actually there were some moments in DA where your companions would leave you if you didn't have a high enough reputation.

For example, Zevran meeting his friend in Denerim.

"Some moments"? What other moments besides that?

Spirit of Jazz said:

There's a specific reason in the narrative why these companions would follow you in KotOR. It's different in Dragon Age where everybody second guesses you the whole way through. And the reasons for their leaving is simply how their characters are. Were you really surprised that Morrigan would leave you if you didn't do what she asked? Alistair?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:
"Some moments"? What other moments besides that?

What? I can think of at least one 'moment' in the game where you can possibly lose each of the party members. Actually... I can't think of one for Sten or Oghren, but I never really used them in any of my games. You can most certainly lose Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, Zevran, Wynne, and Shale depending on your actions in certain scenes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not too concerned about the graphics since I played Origins on the 360.
Personally I'm really looking forward to it.

evangd007

Wallach said:
What? ...how?

Morrigan could have simply took her mother's name and reputation. Or if you didn't kill Flemeth it could be Flemeth in Morrigan's younger, more powerful body.
Depending on the choices you made in the first game of course, which would be kinda cool if they did it that way.

But those screenshots... ugh. It's like they're not one bit technically better than DA:O, but with a more terrible art style and setting.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm really looking forward to it, but these screenshots are looking fucking ugly.

Hoping to see something good-looking when the first videos are released.

~Kinggi~

Banned
New screens are better. Honestly though they kinda look like early Alpha screens, you know when the art isnt even finished yet. (art is usually one of the first things done for a game).

There is potential though.

Tokubetsu

Why would they do this? Who wanted this from a Dragon Age sequel? I didn't. No one I know who played wanted this. Ugh.

Vamphuntr

Tokubetsu said:
Why would they do this? Who wanted this from a Dragon Age sequel? I didn't. No one I know who played wanted this. Ugh.

This and the fact that you can't switch race and origins makes me sad. I will still wait to see it in motion and to learn more about the gameplay/skill trees before giving up all hope.

trejo

I hate the fact that they seem to be Mass Effecting this sequel up the wazoo. I like both franchises and I liked how they were different from each other.

Now we get Mass Effect 2 but with dragons.

Prax

Nirolak said:
http://www.gamersplus.de/images/screenshots/screenshot_da204_35862.jpg
Face/hair/costume design still terribly out of balance/show a loss of cohesion? Yes.
Yep, it's a western-designed cRPG alright!

To be fair, the character models are improvements over Dragon Age Origins, and they are definitely going for SOME kind of style over the original, though it's definitely not polished...

The oddly glossy/almost cel-shaded hair could look cool if done right--which means some kind of cohesive style with the face and textures of the character model. However, it also seems like there's still little to no hair physics yet again going by the screenshot of the shoulder-length haired mage casting a spell (also, the spell-casting animation looks like it did in the first game: TERRIBLE!). Old lady Flemeth is probably just a cutscene, so whatever physics is showing there doesn't count. Blah... they need to hire more hair modelers or something..

I am not going to talk about the environmental design, because it's CLEARLY not done (it better not be!).

Cmagus

meh it's bioware and the talent there alone is awesome. Sure the shots aren't maybe the best to show right now but 8 months is a long time they will pull it together.

Prax

I don't know about you, but when a company that takes months to even release a patch to fix game crashing bugs way after even *I* have finished their games/expansions (and I took my sweet sweet procrastinating time!), I lose hope in how much they will be able to change in 8 months from release date.

But I can hope nontheless.

I can also hope for more long hairstyles, better costume designs, and better character customization/creation, but it probably won't happen... *sigh*

tokkun

Zefah said:
What? I can think of at least one 'moment' in the game where you can possibly lose each of the party members. Actually... I can't think of one for Sten or Oghren, but I never really used them in any of my games. You can most certainly lose Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, Zevran, Wynne, and Shale depending on your actions in certain scenes.

The post I quoted to was talking about situations where you can lose party members based on their approval level, not based on taking a specific action.

WanderingWind said:
8 months is a long, long way off?

The fan-made texture packs for games like Dragon Age and Fallout 3 took less than 8 months to develop, so it's certainly enough time to replace the crappy textures.

reKon said:
SHOTS FIRED!

24q704h.jpg
?

My point was it's enough time to sort it out graphically, alas it won't help with the design decisions.

eek5

char models look better

environment looks worse

will play even if they don't improve anything though :lol

Patryn

I had a feeling it would look better in motion. Still can't say it looks terrific, but definitely a lot better than those horrible screenshots that first came out. I really hope Bioware learns from this and avoids releasing such questionable materials in the future.

Avyrocky

Banned
A friend told me that the combat system is going to be hack and slash for the console kids.

Is this true, or will it be like Dragon Age:Origins?

webrunner

Don said:
New shots still look ugly. I can't believe how bad this looks.

Also what is the reason for using the Mass Effect style dialogue options? The way it was handled in DA:O was far better.

I don't understand this complaint, compared to every other complaint.

Are there any parts in the first game with more than 6 options? It's not like the wheel is going to be alignment-based as DA2 uses a new version of DAO's system, so it wont be HOLD UP LEFT OR UP RIGHT, PRESS A the entire game.

Plus, they're solving a huge problem both DAO and DA2 had: it tells you the tone of the statement before you pick it, so you know if eg, "That didn't sound like a good idea" is joking or scolding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom