• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One Piece talk zzzz.

I'm excited about new chapters. I wonder what Akira can come up with!?

zero_suit said:
I'm glad that there are a few people like you. The manga thread is unbearable...
I'm also glad.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'd be down if he just scrapped his old characters and started over in the world..

The sense of adventure was at its highest when Goku was a boy...

Takao

Banned
jaxword said:
I agree with the possibility it's a slight mistranslation of the work Toriyama's been doing for Dragonball Online. Especially since it's coming out soon in North America.

In fact, I'd be surprised if he did NOT do a tie-in manga with DBO to establish the setting.

Unless you know something I don't, DBO isn't coming to North America any time soon. Namco Bandai US has dodged (heheh) every question about it, and has never referenced its existance. It's out in Korea, and possibly Japan as a free-to-play though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A Link to the Snitch said:
Also, I may be wrong, but from what I recall, Gohan was trolled because of pressure from either fans or TOEI (can't remember which), who wanted Goku to be the hero.

I remember reading it was the fans, but it could have been both. I can't remember where I read/saw that though. This was YEARS ago.

Takao

Banned
It was on Shueshia's end with the editors. DragonBall's popularity started to take a dive (which meant JUMP wasn't selling as well as before) when Gohan started getting the spotlight. The whole Cell saga had a lot of input from the editors. For example, Dr. Gero and Android 19 were supposed to be the main villians of that story, but were killed off early and replaced because the editors didn't find them appealing.

Takao said:
It was on Shueshia's end with the editors. DragonBall's popularity started to take a dive (which meant JUMP wasn't selling as well as before) when Gohan started getting the spotlight. The whole Cell saga had a lot of input from the editors. For example, Dr. Gero and Android 19 were supposed to be the main villians of that story, but were killed off early and replaced because the editors didn't find them appealing.

That would have been awesome IMO. They were pretty creepy villains for DBZ. I would have been down for that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What Akira could do to make new DB chapters interesting is just making a prequel. You know... BEFORE Goku lands on Earth. We could see how life was on planet Vegeta up until it explodes and Goku is send to Earth, that kind of stuff.

I bet it was done with an "unofficial" anime made by some random artist that isn't Toriyama, but that doesn't count.

Blackace said:
The sense of adventure was at its highest when Goku was a boy...
Agree, I would love to see a new continuation of Dragon ball with a kid Goku, Bulma etc... with less focus on fight's but more lighthearted and funny compared with Z/GT which I think can't be continued in any way.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
spindashing said:
This seems to be a good place to ask since it was being discussed here. I'm looking to get into One Piece. I hit the part where Tashigi I think her name was, met Zoro for the first time and I did not touch the manga since.

Is the OP manga superior to the anime?

By the way, I'm happy Dragon Ball is getting a boost. Hopefully an eventual anime with the art style of Kai's opening will come about too...
I suppose the best way to go about this would be to read the manga and when you see a fight you'd like to see animated to go and watch those eps. At least I think its the most ideal, unless you want to watch 400+ episodes.

I seriously think he could do well with an ultimate universe approach and retcon all the bad and start fresh.

Or you know....do something new. Not sure if this has been said but I think GT stunk and post cell saga got meh.

Takao

Banned
I'd actually be interested in hearing the stories of others who've found the DragonBalls. Goku and Bulma obviously weren't the first if the legend was created. But that's something I can see Toei only doing as a TV special as I can't imagine it'd warrant a new series.

Takao

Banned
Everyday without any news from Japan makes this less and less credible. Maybe they'll wait until Raging Blast 2's release date and stun everyone with a special insert promoting it? Who knows.

Bad news: Akira Toriyama has nothing to do with it.

That might not be necessarily bad...

Edit* Then again, without him attached it's probably destined to fail.

YakiSOBA

I haven't followed DB since I was a puny little kid.. can someone post me a picture of the highest/strongest level super sayan that ever existed? I'm sooo curious what it looks like!

Roto13

YakiSOBA said:
I haven't followed DB since I was a puny little kid.. can someone post me a picture of the highest/strongest level super sayan that ever existed? I'm sooo curious what it looks like!
AU5AU.jpg

Level 4. :p Gogeta.

Big Chungus

It'd be kinda cool to see a prequel. Maybe it could be a about Kami in his younger days leading up to the creation of the dragonballs.

jaxword

Takao said:
Everyday without any news from Japan makes this less and less credible. Maybe they'll wait until Raging Blast 2's release date and stun everyone with a special insert promoting it? Who knows.

Hmm, why was Takao banned? He seemed like a competent source of DB info.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kagari said:
Retcon over the entire Majin Buu saga and then we can talk.

Here here! Even when this show was popular and I watched it daily I knew what a piece of crap that saga was. Goten and Trunks becoming super saiyans so quickly was fucking stupid. And don't even get me started about how they mishandled Gohan. How the hell do you spend all that time hyping up how Gohan is getting his hidden power fully unlocked and then have him die to Buu so quickly?

smurfx

get some go again
man fuck dragon ball gt. that shit just depressed me. old krillin then goku being stuck as a damn kid again. gohan being useless as an adult. it was all a big fucking mistake.

Instro

ZealousD said:
Here here! Even when this show was popular and I watched it daily I knew what a piece of crap that saga was. Goten and Trunks becoming super saiyans so quickly was fucking stupid. And don't even get me started about how they mishandled Gohan. How the hell do you spend all that time hyping up how Gohan is getting his hidden power fully unlocked and then have him die to Buu so quickly?

Cause Gohan is a bitch.

Trunks and Goten being super saiyans for no apparent reason was really the only terrible part of that season for me.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Instro said:
Cause Gohan is a bitch after the 7 year skip

Fixed

He fucking faceraped cell. SSJ2 Transformation was pretty much Godlike.

+1 For GT being shit! Goodness -_-

Oh, and I remember posting in this thread when I was reading/watching One Piece. I'm all caught up now. I actually just read the manga and watched the anime (Japanese dubs, subs are a must) for all of the fights, and they were awesome. The whole time I was keeping up with what chapter correlated to which episode so I would see the battles in pure animated form and then get back to the manga after the battle was done :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
B.K. said:
So it'll be just like the rest of Dragonball?
Make it like the non tournament parts up to the Seiyans show up and it'd be awesome. Red Ribbon was so cool. "/

Roto13 said:
Good news: New Dragon Ball manga is indeed coming.

Neutral news: It's a reimagining of the original Dragon Ball geared more towards kids somehow. (It wasn't exactly high art to begin with.)

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/11/18/Dragonball-manga-returns/
That neutral news is actually awesome news.

OMG Aero

Kagari said:
You don't have to worry about that. GT isn't part of Toriyama's story.
So it isn't canon? Thank God for that. I watched basically all of Dragon Ball Z and loved it so I moved on to GT when it was on and it was terrible. It actually made me like Z less because of what it did to some of the characters.

X-Frame

I also hated how they just shit on "Mystic" Gohan, gave him 15 seconds of fame then nothing. It was even worse that GT completely disregarded his unlocked power as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
OMG Aero said:
So it isn't canon? Thank God for that. I watched basically all of Dragon Ball Z and loved it so I moved on to GT when it was on and it was terrible. It actually made me like Z less because of what it did to some of the characters.
At least the theme song was pretty cool!

Xun

Zozz said:
I hope it's a continuation after Buu. They need to completely dismiss GT of its existence. If you disagree then you suck at life.
Pretty much this.

GT bothered me on every single level.

Edit: only read the first page, ha.

Dragon Ball? That's great.

Just let Z/GT die, though. Did it form a template for what was to come? Yes. Doesn't excuse how terrible it got.

Also, OP is great. The author just takes his time slowly expanding the scope of the adventure and filling in the world of OP. You can't appreciate that, fine. OP is meant to be enoyed as a manga anyways.

El Sloth

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
jesus christ, that looks sad :( is it really good?
awww my man, great minds...
REAL is awesome and required reading for any Slam Dunk fan over a certain age. But yes it can be sad at some parts, but it's part of what makes the series awesome.
Anasui Kishibe said:
Ryota is BOSS, no question. And what about Sendo? The awesomest hair ever. Plus, I was totally looking forward to Hanamichi vs that beast of Morishige. WTF Inoue, you bloody teaser. /cries
Blackace said:
Shit it is Ryota's time!
Brothers! Ryota is the Boss of bosses. I thought I was alone in my love for the BOSS.
mysticwhip said:
But Inoue needs to do something with REAL, when was the last time a chapter was released?!
Blame Vagabond.

Ryck

Quick question for those who are hating on the Sayaman Saga... Did you guys watch it in English or Japanese?

The Buu saga was great in the beginning with villains like Dabura and Fat Buu. Fat Buu was such an original villain that I wish they would have pushed more. His rampages through the cities turning people into candy and eating them was pretty damn crazy. Babadi and Buu kinda reminded me of Mr Fuji and Yokozuna in the WWF. Babadi was a cool manager for Buu before Buu turned face and ruined his character.

Imm0rt4l

Roto13 said:
Good news: New Dragon Ball manga is indeed coming.

Neutral news: It's a reimagining of the original Dragon Ball geared more towards kids somehow. (It wasn't exactly high art to begin with.)

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/11/18/Dragonball-manga-returns/
He'll at least be doing the art though right? I think thats all that really matters, it's not like he's a good writer.

edit: nvm just read the link

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Host Samurai said:
The Buu saga was great in the beginning with villains like Dabura and Fat Buu. Fat Buu was such an original villain that I wish they would have pushed more. His rampages through the cities turning people into candy and eating them was pretty damn crazy. Babadi and Buu kinda reminded me of Mr Fuji and Yokozuna in the WWF. Babadi was a cool manager for Buu before Buu turned face and ruined his character.

Buu was a terrible villain and character from start to finish. He was made out of goo and basically indestructible. He trolled more than Aizen did in his prime.

Also, Gohan was a complete mess of a character. He was spoiled and subjected to horrors throughout his entire life, but somehow, he remained a pussy. He powered up, but remained a pussy. He was finally pushed over the edge, not because his best friends were dying (including his father and his master), but because of an Android he barely knew. Then he manages to get his father killed. Awesome kid.

You wonder why fans wanted Goku back? There is your answer. Because Gohan was a pussy and no one really felt right about having him lead the series.

Kintaro said:
Buu was a terrible villain and character from start to finish. He was made out of goo and basically indestructible. He trolled more than Aizen did in his prime.

Also, Gohan was a complete mess of a character. He was spoiled and subjected to horrors throughout his entire life, but somehow, he remained a pussy. He powered up, but remained a pussy. He was finally pushed over the edge, not because his best friends were dying (including his father and his master), but because of an Android he barely knew. Then he manages to get his father killed. Awesome kid.

You wonder why fans wanted Goku back? There is your answer. Because Gohan was a pussy and no one really felt right about having him lead the series.
also, gohan's ssj2 transformation was a one in a lifetime moment. gohan fans act as if that made him a badass. it didn't. he was always a pussy except once, not the other way around. even krillin had more badass moments than him.

Future Trunks was by far the best character in the series. He came in the middle of the series and did his job and never overstayed his welcome.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Host Samurai said:
Future Trunks was by far the best character in the series. He came in the middle of the series and did his job and never overstayed his welcome.

Bigger pussy than Gohan. Also managed to have a bigger daddy complex than Gohan too.

Kintaro said:
Bigger pussy than Gohan. Also managed to have a bigger daddy complex than Gohan too.

Noway bro. He killed Frieza, Kold, beat his dads ass and went back to the future and killed 17/18 at the same time than made Cell his bitch. Hardly a pussy.

Davey Cakes

Green Biker Dude said:
also, gohan's ssj2 transformation was a one in a lifetime moment. gohan fans act as if that made him a badass. it didn't. he was always a pussy except once, not the other way around. even krillin had more badass moments than him.
Krillin was badass especially for the destructo disc. Don't know why he was pretty much the only character with that attack. So simple yet so deadly.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Rash said:
Krillin was badass especially for the destructo disc. Don't know why he was pretty much the only character with that attack. So simple yet so deadly.
Playing DBZ as kids on the street I remember this being the ultimate move someone could use, not even SSJ3 could beat it

We made the destructo disc outta (hardened) snow :lol

Dresden

Teetris said:
Playing DBZ as kids on the street I remember this being the ultimate move someone could use, not even SSJ3 could beat it

We made the destructo disc outta (hardened) snow :lol
That's pretty hardcore, we just screamed at each other with our palms out. :lol

Kusagari

Host Samurai said:
Noway bro. He killed Frieza, Kold, beat his dads ass and went back to the future and killed 17/18 at the same time than made Cell his bitch. Hardly a pussy.

He was badass for 2 episodes until we learned his personality is that of a pussy with a daddy complex.

Kusagari said:
He was badass for 2 episodes until we learned his personality is that of a pussy with a daddy complex.

It can be overlooked for what Trunks had to go through. He grew up with everyone dead but his mom and lost his master.

AND he had a sword too. Swords in DBZ were a rare commodity.

Top Bottom