• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Bisnic said:
What Akira could do to make new DB chapters interesting is just making a prequel. You know... BEFORE Goku lands on Earth. We could see how life was on planet Vegeta up until it explodes and Goku is send to Earth, that kind of stuff.
Dragon Ball Reach

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Stat Flow said:
Okay get the fuck out.

:lol Its true! Gohan at least had moments of badassery here and there. Normally when he would snap. Trunks has...what? Beating Freeza when he didn't have to? His Dad thought he was a pussy (thus, wouldn't train with him) and Cell called him out for his stupid ass "power up" (by proxy, Goku did too). Other than that, he was most concerned about Daddy and was generally nothing special. On top of that, he was trained by pussy past Gohan, which is like some crazy Kung Pow shit of training someone to fight wrong. Plus, he fucked up the timeline!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Kintaro said:
:lol Its true! Gohan at least had moments of badassery here and there. Normally when he would snap. Trunks has...what? Beating Freeza when he didn't have to? His Dad thought he was a pussy (thus, wouldn't train with him) and Cell called him out for his stupid ass "power up" (by proxy, Goku did too). Other than that, he was most concerned about Daddy and was generally nothing special. On top of that, he was trained by pussy past Gohan, which is like some crazy Kung Pow shit of training someone to fight wrong. Plus, he fucked up the timeline!

Trunks didn't have to snap.

Trunks survived against 18 and 17 all that time in the future, fucked up Freiza and his dad, fucked up future cell, fucked up the androids in the future, saved goku's life, and was overall a badass dude.

Vegeta thought everyone was a pussy. :lol

His powerup was dumb, but what battles has he had besides running from the Androids only his entire life. Even kid gohan had more experience battling different opponents than he did.

I mean, him wanting to get accepted by his dad considering his past is acceptable.

Past Gohan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saiyaman/Present Gohan! Fact.

Kintaro

Stat Flow said:
Trunks didn't have to snap.

Trunks survived against 18 and 17 all that time in the future, fucked up Freiza and his dad, fucked up future cell, fucked up the androids in the future, saved goku's life, and was overall a badass dude.

Vegeta thought everyone was a pussy. :lol

His powerup was dumb, but what battles has he had besides running from the Androids only his entire life. Even kid gohan had more experience battling different opponents than he did.

I mean, him wanting to get accepted by his dad considering his past is acceptable.

Past Gohan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saiyaman/Present Gohan! Fact.

He did all this, but he was still a pussy. He was trained by Pussy Gohan, which made him a pussy in the present time. It wasn't until he trained with his dad did he power up enough to beat up the past Androids (who were quite weaker). Future Cell killed him by the way, which is how the real timeline got fucked up. Again, it wasn't until he trained with a non-pussy than he could kill a weak ass Cell.

Him wanting to be accepted by his Dad was a poor subplot. He never knew him, then just appeared and thought he knew what was best for him when Future Trunks fucked shit up so bad, he was surprised at every single turn. The present timeline Androids were way more powered up, there were more of them and then there was Cell. He ended up knowing just as much as the rest of the cast in the end.

The cherry on top is that Trunks' existence introduced time travel wankery into the mix which always screws shit up for the worse. That alone makes him worse than Gohan. Present or past.

Ah DBZ discussions. Always a fun way to feel young again. :D

Kintaro said:
You wonder why fans wanted Goku back? There is your answer. Because Gohan was a pussy and no one really felt right about having him lead the series.

I can see this. Even during the Cell Saga. Just look at the first fight between Goku and Vegeta, and then Goku vs Frieza. AMAZING.

Kintaro said:
He did all this, but he was still a pussy. He was trained by Pussy Gohan, which made him a pussy in the present time. It wasn't until he trained with his dad did he power up enough to beat up the past Androids (who were quite weaker). Future Cell killed him by the way, which is how the real timeline got fucked up. Again, it wasn't until he trained with a non-pussy than he could kill a weak ass Cell.

Him wanting to be accepted by his Dad was a poor subplot. He never knew him, then just appeared and thought he knew what was best for him when Future Trunks fucked shit up so bad, he was surprised at every single turn. The present timeline Androids were way more powered up, there were more of them and then there was Cell. He ended up knowing just as much as the rest of the cast in the end.

The cherry on top is that Trunks' existence introduced time travel wankery into the mix which always screws shit up for the worse. That alone makes him worse than Gohan. Present or past.

Ah DBZ discussions. Always a fun way to feel young again. :D

:lol this is fun. Remember Planet Namek?

Gohan was only cool when he turned SS2 during Cell. He was the biggest whining baby in the entire DBZ lore. Trunks was a child who was probably the strongest person in the world at the time of Gohans defeat at the hands of the Androids and had to live at the age of 13 with no Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo etc. He had no mentors and even still can whoop one android at a time. He just couldn't handle a double team.

Also Dabura would beat Cells ass easily.

Ok im done. I am just so damn bored at work and nothing beats going on General Discussion on GAF on slow boring Fridays.

Kintaro

Host Samurai said:
:lol this is fun. Remember Planet Namek?

Gohan was only cool when he turned SS2 during Cell. He was the biggest whining baby in the entire DBZ lore. Trunks was a child who was probably the strongest person in the world at the time of Gohans defeat at the hands of the Androids and had to live at the age of 13 with no Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo etc. He had no mentors and even still can whoop one android at a time. He just couldn't handle a double team.

Pffft. Using ages only helps my claim. =)

Here is why Trunks is a bigger pussy than Gohan. Gohan was six when he faced the Saiyans. He was seven when he faced Freeza. He whopped Perfect Cell's ass at eleven years old. Despite all that, he was still a whiny pussy. In the Future timeline, he was worse. Somehow, he forgot about Kami's Palace and even though Piccolo was dead, he could still bring Trunks up there to train in the same time chamber?

So, Trunks not only had a wussy, forgetful master, he was under powered, screwed with the timeline, gained power he could do nothing with and then had Daddy issues. Bulma should have just built him a Vegeta-bot for a Daddy. Besides introucing a new arc, he was just plain useless. Krillin has more meaningful actions in the arc than he did. Tenshinhan had a more memorable part! :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Green Biker Dude said:
also, gohan's ssj2 transformation was a one in a lifetime moment. gohan fans act as if that made him a badass. it didn't. he was always a pussy except once, not the other way around. even krillin had more badass moments than him.

That's part of why we hate the Buu saga. He was mishandled completely after the Cell saga. Him defeating Cell and the death of his father should have been a kind of life changing experience that made him an eternal badass. That the torch would have been passed.

You gotta keep in mind that Gohan, during all the times you guys are calling him a bitch, was still a child. Even if he was always one of the strongest fighters in the series, he still had the mind of a child. The fact that he was a child in a world of adults fighting over serious matters easily explains why he was always scared, even if he was always quite strong.

But he was always a child with crazy potential. He became super saiyan at a very early age, and he did so through hard work and motivation, unlike Trunks and Goten who just had those powers. And after he snapped and wtfpwned Cell, it should have been a key turning point in the series. Where Gohan becomes a man and becomes the new protector of the Earth. But no. The Buu Saga ruined that chance. Mystic Gohan should have torn Buu a new asshole, not been discarded immediately.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kintaro said:
Pffft. Using ages only helps my claim. =)

Here is why Trunks is a bigger pussy than Gohan. Gohan was six when he faced the Saiyans. He was seven when he faced Freeza. He whopped Perfect Cell's ass at eleven years old. Despite all that, he was still a whiny pussy. In the Future timeline, he was worse. Somehow, he forgot about Kami's Palace and even though Piccolo was dead, he could still bring Trunks up there to train in the same time chamber?

So, Trunks not only had a wussy, forgetful master, he was under powered, screwed with the timeline, gained power he could do nothing with and then had Daddy issues. Bulma should have just built him a Vegeta-bot for a Daddy. Besides introucing a new arc, he was just plain useless. Krillin has more meaningful actions in the arc than he did. Tenshinhan had a more memorable part! :lol

Trunks literally was born in a hellish world. Are you sure Kami's place wasn't just blown the fuck up when the Android's were terrorizing the planet? It's kind of obvious to see in the sky, especially if your opponents have the ability to fly as well.

Jeez people really think differently about these character's than I do.

Gohan and Future Trunks were both badass.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ZealousD said:
Here here! Even when this show was popular and I watched it daily I knew what a piece of crap that saga was. Goten and Trunks becoming super saiyans so quickly was fucking stupid. And don't even get me started about how they mishandled Gohan. How the hell do you spend all that time hyping up how Gohan is getting his hidden power fully unlocked and then have him die to Buu so quickly?

Yeah, SSJ became a joke.

And yes, I agree Gohan's mishandling was terrible and still irritates me to this day. The series should have ended with the end of the Cell Games. Toriyama obviously didn't care after that and that's evident in his work. The only redeeming thing about the Buu saga was when Ultimate Gohan showed up to fight Super Buu and even that was wasted in favor for Goku saving the day once again :|

Stupid fans.

And to the post above, yes that song is amazing~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86l09X8F-Q Full version.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
We need a reboot with an epic emotional story high on great fights low on fan service. Doesn't have to be written by Akira.

ZealousD said:
That's part of why we hate the Buu saga. He was mishandled completely after the Cell saga. Him defeating Cell and the death of his father should have been a kind of life changing experience that made him an eternal badass. That the torch would have been passed.

You gotta keep in mind that Gohan, during all the times you guys are calling him a bitch, was still a child. Even if he was always one of the strongest fighters in the series, he still had the mind of a child. The fact that he was a child in a world of adults fighting over serious matters easily explains why he was always scared, even if he was always quite strong.

But he was always a child with crazy potential. He became super saiyan at a very early age, and he did so through hard work and motivation, unlike Trunks and Goten who just had those powers. And after he snapped and wtfpwned Cell, it should have been a key turning point in the series. Where Gohan becomes a man and becomes the new protector of the Earth. But no. The Buu Saga ruined that chance. Mystic Gohan should have torn Buu a new asshole, not been discarded immediately.
shoulda gone this way, shoulda been done like that... bla bla bla

gohan is a bitch and it's canon. get over it

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ZealousD said:

Oops, missed this post. But YES. I agree totally... screw the haters >:|

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I haven't really watched the Buu saga. But Goku staying dead and Gohan becoming a badass seems like the logical place to go.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DeathNote said:
I haven't really watched the Buu saga. But Goku staying dead and Gohan becoming a badass seems like the logical place to go.

Do yourself a favor and don't. It's best left alone and forgotten.

you know how dragon ball should've ended? with goku defeating the strongest man in the universe - freeza - after living up to become the legendary super saiyan - the real one - and gohan living a normal life on earth along with everyone else

see, i can do this too

plus, vegeta never got closure in the cell saga. vegeta getting closure > gohan pretending to be something he isn't

not to mention the buu saga had some great moments. buu being a dumbass, the ssj3 transformation as a whole, gotenks being a dumbass, candy vegetto, the last battle against kid buu, satan being a hero... the whole thing was great. and the last battle against kid buu was much better than the cell tournament

freeza saga >= saiyan saga > buu saga > first part of the cell saga > crap > cell's tournament

the only good thing about cell's tournament was seeing fps ssj goku fight against cell, using his teleportation with the kamehameha and shit. as soon as goku stepped out the tournament got lame because gohan never did anything interesting. he just beat up cell with a couple basic attacks and then a huge kamehameha, and the cell jrs were just jobbers who appeared outta nowhere.

Roto13

I always liked that the Cell Games consisted of like two fights.

Goku's turn! Now Gohan's turn! Wait, that's not how tournaments work!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Green Biker Dude said:
umad kagari

we should have a gundam seed thread so i can take a dump on that character too

:lol DON'T CRUSH MY DREAMS.

Seriously though, I care little for SEED... had this nick since 2002 and too lazy to change it.

Ripclawe

Banned
DeathNote said:
I haven't really watched the Buu saga.
Don't.

Cell game ending would have been perfect with Goku fighting and training in "heaven" while Gohan became protector of the earth..

genjiZERO

Buu saga wasn't great, but I never thought it was terrible - I still enjoyed it. At least there was Mr. Satan to make it hilarious.

Calcaneus

Gohan wasn't really an annoying pussy since the Saiyan saga really. He was always ready for a fight on Namek. He saved Dende at the village, fought Recoome until his neck broke, and dealt more damage to Freeza than even Vegeta did. The only reason Gohan wasn't always in the fight was because he was young and his power only truly mattered in short bursts.

The Cell Saga and him going SSJ2 was supposed to be the fix to this problem. It just sucks that at the point where he was supposed to truly be the hero, he gets fucked over just so Goku and Vegeta could have something to do.

You know, I like some fights and ideas from the Buu saga, but it was a terrible way to end the show. The last fight was so anti-climactic, there was no desperation. It was like Goku just decided "You know what I think I'm gonna end it here" and used the spirit bomb.

Ryck

Trojita said:
Trunks literally was born in a hellish world. Are you sure Kami's place wasn't just blown the fuck up when the Android's were terrorizing the planet? It's kind of obvious to see in the sky, especially if your opponents have the ability to fly as well.

Jeez people really think differently about these character's than I do.

Gohan and Future Trunks were both badass.
I agree completely, again I think it all depends which language you watched it in as well.

I think the people talking about badass and pussy were heavily influenced by the american version *plays badass electric guitar*

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man I can't stand this "this shoulda happened instead" talk. You all look at these stories in such a weird way. When I watch something it's not "oh the creator clearly did not have passion here" or "oh he did this because of this business concern" and ugh why would that even go through my head. All that's relevant is what actually happens in the story. There are an infinite number of potentialities that could happen in one story but you know what? Only ONE of them HAPPENS.

(lol but dbz has multiple timelines stfu)

A world where Gohan defeats Cell and then with Goku gone Chi-Chi's influence goes unchecked and Gohan is groomed into a proper and upstanding adult? Perfectly fucking feasible! I don't care if he had all the potential in the world, just because someone HAS potential doesn't mean it's always MET. The events are the events! When I listen to a story, I sell myself to it. There is no "author," there is just a story, and it is what it is. How awful it must be to see only the seams between the pages.

Everyone always talks about how Toriyama wanted it to end here or there, or stopped caring at this or that point, but I haven't once seen a single thing to indicate that's the case aside from people bitching and moaning about what happens in a story that's not theirs. If you don't like it, fine. But don't imprint your feelings on the creator as if your ridiculous opinion can only be sustained by him being under duress.

Kagari said:
Yeah, SSJ became a joke. .
I always assumed it was genetics.

Like, Gohan was as strong as he was because Goku was really strong when Chi-Chu got knocked up and he had Super Saiyan Swagger when she got knocked up again with Goten, making him just pop out with SSJ for no reason (same with Trunks, Vageta wasn't to far from SSJ when he was made). Plus, it would be easier to make them super saiyans if they are being raised by people who know how to.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tathanen said:
Man I can't stand this "this shoulda happened instead" talk. You all look at these stories in such a weird way. When I watch something it's not "oh the creator clearly did not have passion here" or "oh he did this because of this business concern" and ugh why would that even go through my head. All that's relevant is what actually happens in the story. There are an infinite number of potentialities that could happen in one story but you know what? Only ONE of them HAPPENS.

(lol but dbz has multiple timelines stfu)

A world where Gohan defeats Cell and then with Goku gone Chi-Chi's influence goes unchecked and Gohan is groomed into a proper and upstanding adult? Perfectly fucking feasible! I don't care if he had all the potential in the world, just because someone HAS potential doesn't mean it's always MET. The events are the events! When I listen to a story, I sell myself to it. There is no "author," there is just a story, and it is what it is. How awful it must be to see only the seams between the pages.

Everyone always talks about how Toriyama wanted it to end here or there, or stopped caring at this or that point, but I haven't once seen a single thing to indicate that's the case aside from people bitching and moaning about what happens in a story that's not theirs. If you don't like it, fine. But don't imprint your feelings on the creator as if your ridiculous opinion can only be sustained by him being under duress.

Read it somewhere years ago... I'll try and see if I can find it again.

Black-Wind said:
I always assumed it was genetics.

Like, Gohan was as strong as he was because Goku was really strong when Chi-Chu got knocked up and he had Super Saiyan Swagger when she got knocked up again with Goten, making him just pop out with SSJ for no reason (same with Trunks, Vageta wasn't to far from SSJ when he was made). Plus, it would be easier to make them super saiyans if they are being raised by people who know how to.

Before Goten and Trunks started training with Vegeta and Gohan, the only one who knew that the kids could transform was Chi Chi. Somehow, their sparring sessions were enough to push them over the edge when Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks and Gohan had to go through hell.

I don't get all of this Gohan hate.

Great Saiyaman was awesome.

Great-Saiyaman-Posing.jpg

Calcaneus said:
Gohan wasn't really an annoying pussy since the Saiyan saga really. He was always ready for a fight on Namek. He saved Dende at the village, fought Recoome until his neck broke, and dealt more damage to Freeza than even Vegeta did. The only reason Gohan wasn't always in the fight was because he was young and his power only truly mattered in short bursts.

The Cell Saga and him going SSJ2 was supposed to be the fix to this problem. It just sucks that at the point where he was supposed to truly be the hero, he gets fucked over just so Goku and Vegeta could have something to do.

You know, I like some fights and ideas from the Buu saga, but it was a terrible way to end the show. The last fight was so anti-climactic, there was no desperation. It was like Goku just decided "You know what I think I'm gonna end it here" and used the spirit bomb.
The last fight was pretty good until the tail end. Toriyama wrote himself into a corner. It was kind of impossible to kill buu. He was just too much. But the SS3 fight with him was cool and Vegeta looked badass with all the blood and how beat up he was defending Goku while he did one last genki dama. Genki dama is lame though and that was how he beat him.

Not excited about this new manga. geared towards kids? Isn't half of manga counting on kids to buy it?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kagari said:
Read it somewhere years ago... I'll try and see if I can find it again.

If you can that would be great actually, I asked about it in some other thread a while back but no one really followed up.

Calcaneus

Anonymous Tipster said:
I don't get all of this Gohan hate.

Great Saiyaman was awesome.

Great-Saiyaman-Posing.jpg
I would have taken 90 episodes of Great Saiyaman hijinks over the Buu Saga any day. Gohan was actually doing thinks that the rest of the fighters should have been doing, using his power to protect people. Not just when there's some intergalactic threat, but even everyday criminals. And he was goofy as hell too which made it hilarious.

BlackGoku03 said:
The last fight was pretty good until the tail end. Toriyama wrote himself into a corner. It was kind of impossible to kill buu. He was just too much. But the SS3 fight with him was cool and Vegeta looked badass with all the blood and how beat up he was defending Goku while he did one last genki dama. Genki dama is lame though and that was how he beat him.

Not excited about this new manga. geared towards kids? Isn't half of manga counting on kids to buy it?
First of all, holy shit your name/avatar totally reminded me of that old Da Black Goku website that I used to go to. It was awesome, had a bunch of fan art. I remember one kid at school swore to us that he made the site, but then it became obvious that he had no idea what was actually in the site.

Yeah, I don't really get this new manga, the old manga is already for kids. Seems like a waste of time, they could just re-run the original DB.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tathanen said:
If you can that would be great actually, I asked about it in some other thread a while back but no one really followed up.

Give me a bit and I'll do some searching. Writing an article at this moment for something else.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Before Goten and Trunks started training with Vegeta and Gohan, the only one who knew that the kids could transform was Chi Chi. Somehow, their sparring sessions were enough to push them over the edge when Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks and Gohan had to go through hell.
Then I guess it was genetics being changed by their dads having their power levels when they were making babies.

I mean, thats the only way you can explain why these "strongest saiyans" breed off-sing that are able to pop into SSJ like nothing.

OMG Aero

I don't agree with the people saying that the Buu saga shouldn't have happened.
Then we wouldn't have gotten the adventures of Mr Satan, Majin Buu and their dog.

Roto13

I really liked the Saiyaman silliness. It was cool to see Gohan actually dealing with society rather than living off in the woods with his mom forever like some kind of crazy hermit.

I'd love to see a Saiyaman spinoff.

jaxword

Tathanen said:
Everyone always talks about how Toriyama wanted it to end here or there, or stopped caring at this or that point, but I haven't once seen a single thing to indicate that's the case aside from people bitching and moaning about what happens in a story that's not theirs.

No, I've read this too. It's buried in one of the many, many interviews at http://www.daizex.com/

Toriyama has said he realized Gohan wasn't a good main character partway into Buu saga. It's also quite obvious he was sick of it and wanted to just go back to jokes. Gohan's high school adventures, Gotenks' silly joke moves, and the ULTIMATE POWERUP OF ALL TIME comes from a crazy old man doing a silly dance.

Dresden

As stupid as the Buu stuff was, my ten-year-old self was fucking amazed by ze spirit bomb. Dragonball is one of those series I'd rather not re-read or re-watch... there's too much nostalgia there, too many fond memories I'd rather not destroy.

Duki said:
its like you guys are upset that the main character of the series was the main character of the series

You can only see the same thing happen the same way so many times before you get tired of seeing it.

Passing the torch to Gohan during the Cell Games was the best decision they ever made in that respect and they promptly reverted back to relying on Goku.

Lebron

Duki said:
its like you guys are upset that the main character of the series was the main character of the series
Dragonball had interesting characters outside of Goku, the wonder child. DBZ turned them all into jobbers.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
DB/Z is the best anime ever :lol :lol :lol

Even when everyone disagrees it's all good

Nostalgia always wins. Toonami was godly

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tathanen said:

Okay, so it seems a lot fans tend to repeat variations of information included in the Daizenshuu guides... there's 7 of them and Toriyama has interviews where he talks about the series. There's actually some really interesting stuff here.

Edit: Beaten above! But yes, the interviews are eye-opening.

WickedAngel said:
You can only see the same thing happen the same way so many times before you get tired of seeing it.

Passing the torch to Gohan during the Cell Games was the best decision they ever made in that respect and they promptly reverted back to relying on Goku.

Pretty much.

Top Bottom