• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

360pages

To be honest, the Dragon Box isn't really worth it, due to sheer price. You are better off buying the Orange Bricks and Kai if you really want the series as a whole. You'd probably can get both sets for the price of what it cost to get a single Box.

That and the Blue Rays are coming out, that have a huge amount of quality.

Branson

To be honest, the Dragon Box isn't really worth it, due to sheer price. You are better off buying the Orange Bricks and Kai if you really want the series as a whole. You'd probably can get both sets for the price of what it cost to get a single Box.

The Blu-Rays are kinda ehhh still. If you don't care about the widescreen and off colors I guess they are a pretty good deal. I think Kai looks really good on Blu-Ray, if a bit soft. I kind of wish I wouldn't have gotten my US Dragon Boxes and just had picked up the Kai Blu-Rays. It's a nice way to run through the series again with the filler cut and dub.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Which other stuff? The movies/OVAs?

I dunno. As far as we know Funi might not even have the Dragon Box masters for them.

On top of that the actual Dragon Boxes had a very limited run. Dragon Box 2 goes for anywhere from $250-$700 now.

Dragon Ball and the movies. Don't care about GT.

360pages

Battle of Gods was a middle of the line Movie for me, not the worst of the movies, but I can think of a lot of DBZ movies that had more weight and interest for me.

I'd rank it above Tree of Might, and Lord Slug as well as Cooler Returns and Broly Second coming

But I enjoyed The Legendary Super Sayian Broly, The World's Strongest, The Wrath of the Dragon and Bardock More.

Takao

Banned
I meant for the dub. Wanted to know if they got falconer or not

It was Hero that kicked in during the Beerus fight. It seems like they used Flow's English dubs for the lyrical music, so no Drowning Pool shenanigans here. I have to wonder how many people were completely confused by Head Cha-La, haha.

Probably less than the amount of people who had no clue about Pilaf, or that non-namedrop Tarble mention.

Are they ever going to release the other Dragon Box stuff here?

Probably not. Funimation released a survey about the other DBoxes a while ago, but like I said, that was a while ago. Those materials only exist in 480p, so I'm not sure how viable it will be to release them in 2015+.

If you care about how the show looks, I'd suggest you just save your money and wait it out. I'm convinced that there will be a proper release of Z on Blu-Ray eventually.

i went to see battle of the gods and holy crap the english dub is amazing way better than the japanese version as for the movie its self its one of the best dragonball movies.

Takao

Banned
If the vapordub of Kai ever turns up and it's good, I'm going to be deeply disappointed that I will never hear Brian Drummond
sing as Vegeta

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It was Hero that kicked in during the Beerus fight. It seems like they used Flow's English dubs for the lyrical music, so no Drowning Pool shenanigans here. I have to wonder how many people were completely confused by Head Cha-La, haha.

Probably less than the amount of people who had no clue about Pilaf, or that non-namedrop Tarble mention.

Probably not. Funimation released a survey about the other DBoxes a while ago, but like I said, that was a while ago. Those materials only exist in 480p, so I'm not sure how viable it will be to release them in 2015+.

If you care about how the show looks, I'd suggest you just save your money and wait it out. I'm convinced that there will be a proper release of Z on Blu-Ray eventually.

God damnit.

Side note, I finally saw a good portion of Kai. So sad they replaced Gohan's English VA with someone super terrible. Super disappoint. Same VA replaced Android 18 as well I guess and she was not very good as her either.

And lol @ the replaced music. Couldn't even humor me with Unmei no Hi. :/

MikeMyers

I thought the Kai dub and especially the BoG dub was an improvement over the original dubs. The original dubs haven't really aged well in my opinion, except for maybe Buu Arc and GT (especially when you use the original score for GT, but GT is GT).

And yeah, the music scandal for Kai is a real shame. Toei, stop botching your remakes!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought the Kai dub and especially the BoG dub was an improvement over the original dubs. The original dubs haven't really aged well in my opinion, except for maybe Buu Arc and GT (especially when you use the original score for GT, but GT is GT).

And yeah, the music scandal for Kai is a real shame. Toei, stop botching your remakes!

Well the returning actors were fine. I just didn't like the replacements for already established characters.

Branson

Well the returning actors were fine. I just didn't like the replacements for already established characters.

I thought Gohan and Frieza finally sounded how they were supposed to. I actually really really liked the new Frieza. Gohan I never had a problem with before but the voice on Kai fits his age better.

Takao

Banned
media.nl

Flower Mound, Texas (August 19, 2014) – FUNimation® Entertainment, North America’s leading anime company, is bringing Dragon Ball Z to Blu-ray & DVD in a big way. Right on the heels of its limited-run, highly successful theatrical release, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods will be hitting online and retail shelves October 7, 2014. “We’re thrilled to be able to bring new Dragon Ball Z content back into homes after so many years” said Gen Fukunaga, President and CEO of FUNimation Entertainment.

Fans of the series have a lot in store for them with this home video release. The Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Extended Edition on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack comes with two versions of the film: the Uncut Version – which includes an additional 20 minutes of never-before-seen footage – and the Theatrical Version. It also includes over 30 minutes of extra features, including an in-the-booth featurette with the fan favorite cast.

This must-own movie, from series creator Akira Toriyama, will be available on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack, DVD, and Digital HD on October 7, 2014. Pre-orders are available starting today. Click here to pre-order your copy now!

- See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014...ncement&utm_nooverride=1#sthash.yGtBG3NA.dpuf

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'll never get over the awful art (artists?) DBZ has been getting over the past 5-10 years. Hate the lines, proportions, colours and shadows :(.

The theater version was cut?!? Or did the original Japanese Bluray release have extra footage?

Also, why the hell does Gohan have yellow SS hair!

Bio-Frost

The theater version was cut?!? Or did the original Japanese Bluray release have extra footage?

Also, why the hell does Gohan have yellow SS hair!

He can still transform into SS. He does it when he helps goku turn into a SS God.

This is taken from the DB wikia
Daizenshuu 2 states that Ultimate Gohan can still transform further into a Super Saiyan, however, even without transforming his power still surpasses Gotenks. Ultimate Gohan is never shown transforming into a Super Saiyan or Super Saiyan 2 state throughout his appearances, other than in the original version of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods.

Moaradin

What's the difference between the Kai Buu Japanese airing compared to the International version? I heard the Japanese version had more cuts but that's all the info I can find about it. Does the international version use the new score?

Branson

What's the difference between the Kai Buu Japanese airing compared to the International version? I heard the Japanese version had more cuts but that's all the info I can find about it. Does the international version use the new score?

Japanese version has more cut out from it than the international version. Basically the international was the original cut and the Japanese version has been an afterthought and shortened even more with some odd cuts. From what I've read anyway.

Score wise it's all one score. Just that the international version doesn't feel as rushed or hastily put together as the Japanese one has been. Probably because it was cut even more after the fact since Buu Kai wasn't even supposed to air in Japan.

I could be wrong but this is what I've gathered from the posts about it.

MikeMyers

I thought Kai handled Vegeta's sacrifice pretty well but lurking Kanzenshuu forums discussions it seems they don't agree with me.

Agree that Goku meeting Goten was poorly done in Kai. That was just....not right.

0940.png

Does anyone read Dragonball Multiverse? They've returned to the main storyline and it looks like Prince Vegeta is about to turn SSJ3. I love this series just for the fan-service of dream matches and characters reaching forms that were never seen in the series. It's also interesting to see how each universe is altered, such as how Goku was actually the evil Kakarot in this Vegeta's universe.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nah. I quit on DBM after realizing I had been reading for years and they hadn't even made it past the first round of the tournament. Nothing happened in that series the whole time, it was all still introductions.

That and the insane amount of side stories with terrible art, terrible writing, terrible English, terrible everything really.

Dereck

Some nice art

j7fpjo9.jpg
Frieza not ready

Nah. I quit on DBM after realizing I had been reading for years and they hadn't even made it past the first round of the tournament. Nothing happened in that series the whole time, it was all still introductions.

That and the insane amount of side stories with terrible art, terrible writing, terrible English, terrible everything really.
LOL, agreed

Takao

Banned
I heard the FUNi Bluray doesn't have the FLOW song? I'll probably not get it then, that was my favorite part of the film.

I thought it contained the "English" versions of those songs?

What the hell is this? And who is that girl saiyan?

Dragon Ball Heroes is a very popular arcade/card game in Japan. As they've quickly run through material actually in the series, they've started making up things. A few years ago they decided to give a tonne of Saiyans the ability to transform to SS3. Now it's time Super Saiyan 4. The current theme is based on Dragon Ball GT, with the next target being Dragon Ball Online.

The girl is just a player (as in, the real life player in the arcade) avatar.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Top Bottom