• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it before and I'll say it again. Do a new Dragon Ball story with none of the original casts. Set it a century into the future and start from the beginning with power levels and enemy threats.

Where do you go after punch waves shaking the entire known Universe? No where that's where.

Not alot of point calling it dragon ball then. The pedigree of the OG cast is the only thing keeping dragon ball its own thing.

The series is so entrenched in the DNA of modern shounen that a new cast would flounder when up against its competitors, simply because so many of them took inspiration from dragonball and spun it into something of their own. That's like asking Seinfeld to come back with a whole new cast.

Nightbird

No, the end of Z has never been officially dismissed. In fact, it had been included in the official timeline for the 30th anniversary site, alongside RoF promotion.

It hasn't been mentioned ever since Super's announcement though, but that's not a confirmation that it's not canon anymore either.

How many years/months are we away from the end of Z now?
And is there any chance that Uub will make an appearance in Super?

Daemul

I've been binging the series and I'm currently on episode 25 and man, the fear of Beerus and the automatic respect he receives from people is amazing, even Freeza was tripping over his words when he saw him. Dude is downright scary.

Real Hero

I've been binging the series and I'm currently on episode 25 and man, the fear of Beerus and the automatic respect he receives from people is amazing, even Freeza was tripping over his words when he saw him. Dude is downright scary.

Shenron's reaction to him was great too

had shenron like

WbaUJ6Y.gif

Not alot of point calling it dragon ball then. The pedigree of the OG cast is the only thing keeping dragon ball its own thing.

The series is so entrenched in the DNA of modern shounen that a new cast would flounder when up against its competitors, simply because so many of them took inspiration from dragonball and spun it into something of their own. That's like asking Seinfeld to come back with a whole new cast.

Saint Seiya changed casts several times, with Episode G, Lost Canvas, Soul of Gold, Saintia Sho, etc. Some of these sub-series/spinoffs even ran concurrently.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Saint Seiya changed casts several times, with Episode G, Lost Canvas, Soul of Gold, Saintia Sho, etc. Some of these sub-series/spinoffs even ran concurrently.

The younger generation should have taken over as Toriyama originally planned before he went back on it. The current DB Super still has plenty of side characters who deserve the spotlight.

Probably alone on this but I think if it'd cool if after this upcoming arc, Goku/Vegeta are doing their own thing in space and instead the arc after is focused on Gohan, Older Goten/Trunks, Krillin, and Pan on their own adventure.

J-Rod

I hope they retcon the z ending. I don't care for uub, and its already too crowded. I like the idea of a competitive human fighter, but he looks like a mr potato head.

Anth0ny

I think you can continue it with saiyans, namekians... hell just get rid of Goku. Gohan, Goten, Vegeta and Trunks can carry the show.

I think Dragon Ball is big enough that, someday, it'll get a reboot. Whether it features the original cast or not doesn't matter that much, the brand is powerful enough to survive. Isn't Dragon Ball Heroes massive in Japan and it stars some random character?

Slaythe

So is this worth watching as a fan? Fucking hated GT, obviously.

Well, if you watched the movies, might as well not watch Super. (battle of gods, resurrection of F)

Starting this week, the new material arrives, the follow up of the movies. So you can watch that with us ! Japanese audio only.

I think you can continue it with saiyans, namekians... hell just get rid of Goku. Gohan, Goten, Vegeta and Trunks can carry the show.

I think Dragon Ball is big enough that, someday, it'll get a reboot. Whether it features the original cast or not doesn't matter that much, the brand is powerful enough to survive. Isn't Dragon Ball Heroes massive in Japan and it stars some random character?

They are avatars and the game feature and relies entirely on existing characters (ssj8 Broly etc...) .

Dragon Ball CAN absolutely survive in an end of Z era. Have Goku and Vegeta doing their own shit somewhere, focus on Trunks Pan Goten Uub and Gohan to save the day when they fuck up. Add some new original characters like a smart girl, to replace bulma, add maybe another namekian who wants to visit earth etc...

Daemul

I just finished episode 26 and ffs Goku
snoop.png

Does this boy not listen to anything that Whis tells me? He lowered his guard when it was already long pointed out to him that it was his weakness, and lo and behold.

Diablos54

The younger generation should have taken over as Toriyama originally planned before he went back on it. The current DB Super still has plenty of side characters who deserve the spotlight.
Should have had Gohan, Goten and Trunks instead of Goku and Vegeta, they could still appear and fight just not be the focus/solution.

Skii

Believers were redeemed so don't worry about the trolls, man.

It just upsets me that people don't appreciate Gohan. Definitely need to stop reacting to the trolls and just enjoy Gohan in this new arc :)

So is this worth watching as a fan? Fucking hated GT, obviously.

It has been a mixed bag. For me, the animation and art style is a massive step down from the movies and even DBZ. It is rushed and doesn't really look nice personally. You might feel differently.

Either way, the content itself when it's new is refreshing and seems to fix certain problems with the movie or fleshes out character development in between the movies. I'd suggest watching the most recent one as it does the ending of ROF quite a bit better with some key information about the future of DBS. I'd also check out the episodes between BOG arc and ROF arc in Super just for that new content which is always worth watchning.

This page is too much for me. You're watching Dragon Ball and you're complaining about Goku? The main character since the beginning?

I'm going to go watch some Dragon Ball so I can cleanse myself from this page. Bulma and kid Goku will cheer me up.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I just finished episode 26 and ffs Goku
snoop.png

Does this boy not listen to anything that Whis tells me? He lowered his guard when it was already long pointed out to him that it was his weakness, and lo and behold.

He had to learn a hard lesson and now I bet he won't do it again and show mercy to his enemies. Think of it like a child or adolescent being told not to do something and they do it anyway but they suffer repercussions, they'll retain the lesson as opposed to being told not to do something. That's transient and doesn't have permanent residence in their mind.

This page is too much for me. You're watching Dragon Ball and you're complaining about Goku? The main character since the beginning?

I'm going to go watch some Dragon Ball so I can cleanse myself from this page. Bulma and kid Goku will cheer me up.
Not at all makes sense people want other things out of the characters.

VariantX

He had to learn a hard lesson and now I bet he won't do it again and show mercy to his enemies. Think of it like a child or adolescent being told not to do something and they do it anyway but they suffer repercussions, they'll retain the lesson as opposed to being told not to do something. That's transient and doesn't have permanent residence in their mind.

Which is a little bit ironic since as a child, Goku killed a good number of his enemies.

Which is a little bit ironic since as a child, Goku killed a good number of his enemies.

I think that had more to do with most Dragon Ball enemies dying in the middle of battle, while Z Goku was powerful enough that he could afford to spare some more, or he was not powerful enough.

Russ T

Banned

In your own post complaining about people wanting other characters to share the limelight, you cite a character who isn't Goku as someone you enjoy.

Goku's shtick has gotten kinda old. Actually it got old once he became an adult. Kid Goku is still the best character in all of Dragon Ball. Anyway, there's a ton of other great characters who could do some really fun things. That doesn't mean Goku has to disappear, it just means he doesn't have to be the focus of everything.

In your own post complaining about people wanting other characters to share the limelight, you cite a character who isn't Goku as someone you enjoy.

Goku's shtick has gotten kinda old. Actually it got old once he became an adult. Kid Goku is still the best character in all of Dragon Ball. Anyway, there's a ton of other great characters who could do some really fun things. That doesn't mean Goku has to disappear, it just means he doesn't have to be the focus of everything.

I never said I had a problem with other characters. I just don't understand complaining about the main character. If I had the choice, I would replace the Saiyans (apart from Goku) with Tien, Krillin, Piccolo, Yajirobe, etc... I don't really care for Goten and Trunks right now, but I think I would find them a lot funnier if they were to act immature, but as teens.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Well said.

Russ T

Banned
I never said I had a problem with other characters. I just don't understand complaining about the main character. If I had the choice, I would replace the Saiyans (apart from Goku) with Tien, Krillin, Piccolo, Yajirobe, etc...

Ah, I'm sorry, I misunderstood! My bad.

To an extent, I agree with you. Goku is the main character.

...But it's such a long-running series, he doesn't necessarily have to be anymore! It could still be Dragon Ball with a new cast. Just retain the setting and feel and all the mechanics of fighting and ki and whatnot, and it's still the same thing. But we don't need a new cast, we just need to use the one we have!

Uzumaki Goku

It's rather nice to see that Toriyama actually cares about Dragon Ball again... he's actually become like Oda of One Piece someone who breathes fire and passion into his creation, it's the polar opposite of Kishimoto who you could just tell had stopped caring about his manga years before he finally ended it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Toriyama saying he cares warmed my icy heart. Even if he was complaining about the bad animation.

Jaeger

I completely disagree with both that, and the Seinfeld example. Dragon Ball is much more than the core characters, which up to and including the "lead" (Goku) get no actual character development. I believe you can do a successful sequel (or spin-off) without making Goku the center of the show. What does he do that another character couldn't?

The answer is nothing.

Russ T

Banned
I completely disagree with both that, and the Seinfeld example. Dragon Ball is much more than the core characters, which up to and including the "lead" (Goku) get no actual character development. I believe you can do a successful sequel (or spin-off) without making Goku the center of the show. What does he do that another character couldn't?

The answer is nothing.

There's already a spin-off even! The manga that introduced Jaco!

It would be pretty cool to see a spin-off of the universe 6 characters since that universe is very different to the main one.

Heck they should go further and have that universe lacking regular dragon balls, so there could be actual stakes involved for once

Ishida

Banned
don't forget how he was complete trash in GT, too

no super saiyan 4
no part on the main adventure
literally only served to be infected by baby and beaten up by goku

If you are talking about Gohan, he has always sucked.

Gohan was a mistake. He's nothing but trash, and I wouldn't give two shits if he was reduced to a burning corpse in Super. That would be his rightful role.

EDIT: Oh, you were talking about Goten?

Well, same story. Who cares about that guy.

It's all about Goku. It's always been all about Goku.

So is super if goten doesn't do something! At least gt made him get his ass kicked a couple times. Super made him a clown.

Super had a lot of stuff to get out of the way, but it did pay a lot of attention to Goten specifically. I think for sure they're building him up for something, it's just not his time yet.

Tamanon

Banned
I like Goten the way he is, because he lends a childlike innocence to the show. Wish he was more of a challenge to villains, but I like his dynamic with Trunks.

Calvero

Banned

ain't nobody have a problem with Kid Goku.

ain't nobody have a problem with Kid Goku.

I think people don't know what they want. What's really missing is better fights, and more adventure. I think it has nothing to do with the main characters. Thankfully Super is going to explore the different universes so the adventure might come back. I'm also really excited about a tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom