• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I like Goten the way he is, because he lends a childlike innocence to the show. Wish he was more of a challenge to villains, but I like his dynamic with Trunks.

There's really no excuse for his character development to have stagnated though.

Daingurse

There's really no excuse for his character development to have stagnated though.

Yeah, Goten really ain't doing shit. Don't even really like him and it's still a damn shame. More characters in-general need to get the spotlight, if only for variety's sake. That's what made the Android/Cell Saga cool.

guek

Banned
Yeah, Goten really ain't doing shit. Don't even really like him and it's still a damn shame. More characters in-general need to get the spotlight for variety's sake. That's what made the Android/Cell Saga cool.
Dragon ball needs a new heart virus

TCKaos

Has Goten or Trunks on their own ever actually done anything that matters or was notable?

I guess Trunks and Tapion, but that's not even canon...

Calvero

Banned
I think people don't know what they want. What's really missing is better fights, and more adventure. I think it has nothing to do with the main characters. Thankfully Super is going to explore the different universes so the adventure might come back. I'm also really excited about a tournament.

I don't think anybody will be happy. No matter what direction Super takes. There's always a constant need for people to compare it to what DB and DBZ were. "It needs to be more actiony," "it needs to be more adventurous, more comedic," "it can't do both, they can't handle it."

Sandfox

I really feel that Goten shouldn't have ever been added to the series. IMO he offered nothing positive to the plot and it felt like he only existed as a comedic partner to Trunks.

Daingurse

I really feel that Goten shouldn't have ever been added to the series. IMO he offered nothing positive to the plot and it felt like he only existed as a comedic partner to Trunks.

Aside from being Fusion fodder, he might as well not exist. Sorry Black-Leg lol, it's messed up how they treat your boy.

In my opinion DB has too many characters to focus on. The solution I think is to kill of some characters (not gonna say who) and make it so that they can't be brought back to life (kind of like how most shows work).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Goten has done more than Gohan did at his age. What it really boils down to is that he was introduced in (what was originally) the very last story arc and we've only ever seen him as a child, except for End of Z, where we didn't see enough of him to get an impression.

TCKaos

I really feel that Goten shouldn't have existed. IMO he offered nothing positive to the plot and it felt like he only existed as a comedic partner to Trunks.

He exists so that Gotenks can exist which sets up Vegito existing.

I'd like a small arc that at least attempts to develop him as a character. It doesn't have to be really serious, but something that gives him some depth outside of "He's a stupid silly kid that's really strong". I mean, Goten is 12 years old right now. Gohan was 9 when he killed Cell.

I'd like something to happen that makes him less cocky, less goofy, maybe more conscientious of the people around him. Maybe have Goten and Trunks help defend the Earth while everyone else is at the tournament, and Goten learns about different people that his father has touched during that time. Like, hell, here are some ideas:

• On their way to the Lookout Goten and Trunks notice that some animal bandits are attacking the village at the base of Korin's Tower. Goten and Trunks go down to help out. During the fight, Upa appears and finishes off the last of the bandits. Upa comments on Goten's resemblance to Goku, and after learning that Goten is Goku's son, he tells him the story about how Goku fought Taopaipai to bring his father back. Goten is inspired and goes with Trunks to the Lookout.
  • Goten and Trunks arrive at the Lookout. It turns out that their parents ordered them to help Popo and Dende clean the Lookout in order to prepare for Beerus and Whis' arrival for when they pick up Goku and Vegeta for the tournament. It's punishment for something dumb they did. While cleaning, Goten stumbles upon an old photo of kid Gohan and kid Dende with the Namekian Dragon Balls on Earth. Goten asks Dende about it and he tells Goten about the fight with Freeza and how brave Gohan and Goku were. They make several allusions to the Resurrection F arc. Dende trails off and starts talking about Gohan's battle with Cell. Dende humors Trunks by talking about how Vegeta went ham on Cell after Future Trunks got killed. Goten and Trunks listen really intently and talk about how cool it is.
  • Goten talks with Trunks and decides that he wants to get stronger to be like his brother and father. Trunks talks about how since Gotenks can go Super Saiyan 3, they should both be able to go Super Saiyan 2, right? They decide to go to the Room of Space and Time and stumble in to SSJB Goku and SSJB Vegeta beating the fuck out of each other. They decide to join in and start fighting and trying to figure out how to get enough energy on their own to go Super Saiyan 2. Vegeta notices and tries to kick them out, but Goku figures that they as much time as they need, since they have three days to train, meaning they technically have three years, and they don't know what kind of threats might be out there when the tournament goes on anyway and someone has to defend Earth, and it isn't going to be Gohan (lol).
  • Chi-Chi and Bulma arrive to set up the massive buffet for Whis and Beerus at the Lookout. They ask Dende and Popo where Goten and Trunks are and they admit that they have no idea. They freak out and start looking, hoping that they aren't breaking something important. Dende freaks out when he realizes that they might be in the Room of Space and Time and runs over to it and swings the door open. Inside, a now older Goten and Trunks are sitting next to each other and taking a break while watching Vegeta and Goku duke it out. Beerus and Whis show up and the group has a big feast before heading out to the tournament. Everyone talks about how much older and more mature Goten and Trunks seem, but the two are still obviously goofy friends. Everyone leaves for the tournament.
Boom. Develop the characters and actually age them properly at the same time while making it Dragon Ball as fuck.

Anth0ny

how many times did beerus throw a big fiery energy ball at goku that he had to deflect away from the earth

I counted at least 5 in 3 episodes

Sandfox

Goten has done more than Gohan did at his age. What it really boils down to is that he was introduced in (what was originally) the very last story arc and we've only ever seen him as a child, except for End of Z, where we didn't see enough of him to get an impression.
Even as a kid Gohan was treated like the adults and got actual fights even if he lost them for plot reasons. All Goten has is a bunch of scenes that ultimately aren't supposed to be taken seriously.

I'd like a small arc that at least attempts to develop him as a character. It doesn't have to be really serious, but something that gives him some depth outside of "He's a stupid silly kid that's really strong". I mean, Goten is 12 years old right now. Gohan was 9 when he killed Cell.

I'd like something to happen that makes him less cocky, less goofy, maybe more conscientious of the people around him. Maybe have Goten and Trunks help defend the Earth while everyone else is at the tournament, and Goten learns about different people that his father has touched during that time. Like, hell, here are some ideas:

I understand why he exists, but I don't consider any of it a positive because I think Gotenks was terrible. Also, Goten and Trunks aren't going to be aged up or developed because their gags revolved around them being kids and that will always be their thing.

I don't think Goten and kid Goku was exactly alike. They both have their childlike innocence and carefree attitude, but kid Goku has something more. He is not as timid as Goten. He is more spontaneous.

I picture scenarios where Goku laughs and questions something, but I can't see that for Goten. Reason why, Goku is ignorant. Goten is not.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Goten and kid Goku was exactly alike. They both have their childlike innocence and carefree attitude, but kid Goku has something more. He is not as timid as Goten. He is more spontaneous.

I picture scenarios where Goku laughs and questions something, but I can't see that for Goten. Reason why, Goku is ignorant. Goten is not.
I feel Goten is Goku if he was raised by Chi-Chi instead an old martial arts master who he accidentally killed at a young age.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't know, I feel like Goten is a lot smarter than Goku. Just... inherently. Might have something to do with not suffering brain damage as an infant, but still. Goku is really dumb and ignorant sometimes.

Nobody else noticed that Goten got a new-ish Gi in the new ED? kind of looks like Goku's standard Gi without the shoulder sleeves.

They are setting up the kids for something I have a feeling on that.

All it boils down to is toriyama once again backed out of what he wanted to do. You dont have this moment where gohan says he'll surpass everyone. Than! Have them be the only two left alive able to fuse and handle buu AND also hit ss3 in a way shorter time span than goku only for you to go back on all that and not only bring gohan back as lead but than fuck him over and revive bot just goku but vegeta too!!

J-Rod

With all the new db stuff out, I've been exposed to more fan discussion, and I've learned that they are way too picky. I don't think fans could ever be satisfied. The animations sucks, but I am enjoying Super for what it is so far. I can't believe some want to get to get rid of goku? Wth, people. Shame on you all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
All it boils down to is toriyama once again backed out of what he wanted to do. You dont have this moment where gohan says he'll surpass everyone. Than! Have them be the only two left alive able to fuse and handle buu AND also hit ss3 in a way shorter time span than goku only for you to go back on all that and not only bring gohan back as lead but than fuck him over and revive bot just goku but vegeta too!!

Gohan/Goten/Trunks were the chosen ones... I'm still mad 20 years later lol.

CryptiK

I'm just interested in two things, one how long is Super going to last, and two, is Super really going to be the end of Dragonball.

Russ T

Banned
It's supposed to last over 100 episodes, last I read. That may have been a rumor, though, and probably depends on if it's worth it, financially.

I had a dream last night that they announced a spin-off series following Goten and Trunks exploring Universe 6 while the tournament was happening. I'm in this too deep.

Calvero

Banned

Such a clusterfuck. Still mad. :[

Goten has done more than Gohan did at his age.

What do you mean?

Sciz

buu arc is jokes

weshes195

It's supposed to last over 100 episodes, last I read. That may have been a rumor, though, and probably depends on if it's worth it, financially.

I had a dream last night that they announced a spin-off series following Goten and Trunks exploring Universe 6 while the tournament was happening. I'm in this too deep.

Over 100 episodes is actually realistic since 1/4 of 100 episodes has happened and we have only gotten a couple of "original" (in the sense of never see in animation) episodes.

Slaythe

Super has the same production status as One Piece. (something rare enough for modern Toei to do)

So it's an on going show with no plan to stop it any time soon.

They made this series to boost merchandising sales. It doubled since Super launched, and that was only with a retelling of existing movies... It's also the second biggest anime they have, ratings wise, after One Piece.

So basically, super is here to stay.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Isn't the 100 episode thing from that shitty shit facebook rumor that came out after BOG came out that they were planning a series.

Who the hell plans for a 100 episode series at all ever? Only thing I can think of is Kai but that's just edited content and they could easily control that.

As long as it stays solid on the merch and ratings front, I would imagine Dragonball is in the Doreamon/Detective Conan tier of "this will end when the apocalypse hits."

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Same. Like Spider-Man or Batman, it should never end, even when the original author/artist moves on. Dragon Ball is iconic.

Continue it, reboot it, but never STOP it.

It seemed like they were pretty ok with making BOG without as much involvement Toriyama ended up having.

SolVanderlyn

The Goten doing more than Gohan thing technically isn't accurate now that he's 12, so nevermind. It was true in Z, though. Gohan didn't do anything really significant until Cell, even if he showed his potential several times, and he was 12-14 at that point if you count the Hyperbolic Time Chamber stuff. Goten went Super Saiyan extremely early, fused with Trunks, went Super Saiyan 3 and went toe to toe with Buu.

ElFly

God that age is so stupid.

In my mind, Gohan is at least 3 or 4 years older so his participation in the sagas makes sense at all. Other than Goku bringing Gohan in his arms when he is first presented, he is too young for any role in the saiyan/freeza/cell saga.

Of course he then becomes too old for the Buu saga, but still. Gohan should not have killed Cell at a younger age than Goku even started adventuring.

NeonZ

Isn't the 100 episode thing from that shitty shit facebook rumor that came out after BOG came out that they were planning a series.

There was an earlier rumor based on some European site reporting supposed "Toei inside sources", but later Toei Europe's site had a listing for 100 Dragonball Super episodes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...ists-dragon-ball-super-at-100-episodes/.89488

They removed it obviously, but the fact that it lined up with the existing rumor just strengthened it.

brinstar

I completely disagree with both that, and the Seinfeld example. Dragon Ball is much more than the core characters, which up to and including the "lead" (Goku) get no actual character development. I believe you can do a successful sequel (or spin-off) without making Goku the center of the show. What does he do that another character couldn't?

The answer is nothing.

Yeah, the original concept of searching for 7 magic balls that will grant you any wish basically lends itself to an infinite amount of stories. I would definitely be up for new stories that broke away from the same old characters

SolVanderlyn

Don't forget the martial arts that aren't planet busting scale. Yamcha and Tien still have the coolest techniques in the series.

Welfare

Wasn't Gohan 11 when he fought Cell?

10. He was 4 when Raditz came, 5 when Vegeta came, 6 by the time Goku comes back from Yardrat, 9 when the Android's come, and 10 because of the RoSaT.

Right, scratch that. His birthday happens during the 10 day wait for the Cell games I think, so yeah, 11.

Anth0ny

omg I just watched episode 15, that shit was great.

I hope all of the new content episodes are as entertaining as that. I guess there's just something grueling about watching 90 minute movies stretched the fuck out over 12, 20 minute episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom