• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Galaxy police detects him and immediately assume that he's being sent to invade the planet though. Isn't that shown near the ending of the DB Minus chapter itself? Either way, it's the basic premise of the Jaco series proper.

Jaco was wrong (as usual, lol). The only reason Kakarot was sent was to hide him from Freeza because Freeza ordered all the Saiyans to gather on Planet Vegeta and Bardock had a bad feeling about that order. Gine suggested Bardock, Kakarot and her all flee to Earth, but Bardock say they'd be detected by Freeza. Gine isn't a fighter so when she wants to go to Earth it's obviously not for warring purposes.

NeonZ

Jaco was wrong (as usual, lol). The only reason Kakarot was sent was to hide him from Freeza because Freeza ordered all the Saiyans to gather on Planet Vegeta and Bardock had a bad feeling about that order. Gine suggested Bardock, Kakarot and her all flee to Earth, but Bardock say they'd be detected by Freeza. Gine isn't a fighter so when she wants to go to Earth it's obviously not for warring purposes.

That's correct, but that mistake explains why Raditz thinks that Goku was sent to invade.

I have to see Beerus and Whis are by far the best things to come out of all the new DB stuff we've gotten in the many years since the original manga/anime ended. They have such a great dynamic not only between each other but the rest of the cast and feel like they always belonged unlike most of the new characters in GT and the other various movies/specials.

Edit: I haven't read Jaco (been meaning to) so I can't comment on how he adds to the universe

That's correct, but that mistake explains why Raditz thinks that Goku was sent to invade.

This kinda makes me feel sad for Raditz. He was still a dick, but makes you wonder what would have happen if he had known about the real reason Goku was sent to Earth.

Chances of Goku beating Whis are zero. Whis is strong enough to one shot beerus casually. if goku were a 6, Whis is a 15 according to Toriyama. Whis is basically invincible. Not one person in the series has ever landed a blow on him. He fought Goku and vegeta at full power and they couldn't even touch him, and he wasn't even using any of his power.

I really hope DBZ fighting becomes more like hunter x hunter and the other universes have different type of Ki and the battles become less about power levels and more about technique (if not strategy). seriously. remember when there used to be characters who could stop time, exchange bodies, turn you to stone, etc?

fights are more interesting when the power is narrow

Chances of Goku beating Whis are zero. Whis is strong enough to one shot beerus casually. if goku were a 6, Whis is a 15 according to Toriyama. Whis is basically invincible. Not one person in the series has ever landed a blow on him. He fought Goku and vegeta at full power and they couldn't even touch him, and he wasn't even using any of his power.
So Whis is basically Soujiro Hiko?

I really hope DBZ fighting becomes more like hunter x hunter and the other universes have different type of Ki and the battles become less about power levels and more about technique (if not strategy). seriously. remember when there used to be characters who could stop time, exchange bodies, turn you to stone, etc?

This is one of the many reasons I also like One Piece and JoJo's Bizzare Adventure.

Lots of power and technique variety. When was the last time we saw this in DBZ? Buu and chocolate beams?

He'll just have to make a Spirit Bomb from the energy of the 12 universes.

you mean remember when the ginyu force got bodied by people (Goku) with higher power levels

It seems like the series is finally "growing" a little bit by giving us characters that Goku can't beat.

Although it does give him something to train for!

Syntsui

Unfortunately, unless all new characters are more powerful than Goku and Vegetables, I don't see this new series getting interesting at all.

They will have to completely change the focus to the adventures, otherwise it will be incredibly unappealing.

Malajax

Unfortunately, unless all new characters are more powerful than Goku and Vegetables, I don't see this new series getting interesting at all.

They will have to completely change the focus to the adventures, otherwise it will be incredibly unappealing.

I think these new foes will have to be stronger in some way. They already did the joke about being hilariously strong. Beerus is just in range (as a damn deity) and Whis is much farther away. Reintroducing techniques and different methods of fighting might be the best way of keeping it fresh. We'll see if it turns out that waym

Lol.

And you think goku won't, at some point, pull another transformation out of his rear that makes him stronger than whis?

That's not how dragonball works.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I dunno if I'm liking these god powers too much

Lol.

And you think goku won't, at some point, pull another transformation out of his rear that makes him stronger than whis?

That's not how dragonball works.
It is pretty ridiculous tho when you create a character that's faster in movement than your opponents nerves sending signals. Sure you can write around that but the whole going back a few minutes in time is pretty awful to go with

One thing I'd like clarified is if Whis claims to be the fastest in the universe and apparently knows of every planet in the universe shouldn't he and Beerus be able to use instant transmission like Goku? That technique seems infinitely faster then warp speed flying.

One thing I'd like clarified is if Whis claims to be the fastest in the universe and apparently knows of every planet in the universe shouldn't he and Beerus be able to use instant transmission like Goku? That technique seems infinitely faster then warp speed flying.

Read thread title

Welfare

Instant Transmission requires Ki to be locked onto. Whis doesn't need that.

Madao

Ultimate Gohan was the strongest nonfused character in DBZ... by a pretty big Margin.

Seeing him like this is sad on so many levels...

Toriyama probably forgot what was supposed to be Gohan's power level.

we don't know what kind of distances Whis can cover with his move. it could be faster than Goku's teleportation. also, Goku's teleportation requires time to lock onto the target and it can't lock on targets if they're too far away (this was a plot point when they needed to bring Dende to create new Dragon Balls in the Cell saga. Goku couldn't pinpoint the Namekians since they were too far away)

there's Kaioshin's teleportation that is plain better than Goku's but that could be a technique exclusive to him since it was originally Kibito's techinique and the other Kaios can't do it.

Malajax

They're different though. With IT, Goku can travel instantly to a ki signature. Whis can pick a place and just go. He hasn't had to have been there before. It might take awhile, but he's probably traveling way faster than the speed of light. That's gotta count for something.

Toriyama probably forgot what was supposed to be Gohan's power level.

we don't know what kind of distances Whis can cover with his move. it could be faster than Goku's teleportation. also, Goku's teleportation requires time to lock onto the target and it can't lock on targets if they're too far away (this was a plot point when they needed to bring Dende to create new Dragon Balls in the Cell saga. Goku couldn't pinpoint the Namekians since they were too far away)

there's Kaioshin's teleportation that is plain better than Goku's but that could be a technique exclusive to him since it was originally Kibito's techinique and the other Kaios can't do it.

In RoF, Whis said it would take him about 30 minutes to get to earth but Goku said that would take too long so Bulma had everyone powerup so Goku could find them and teleport to them.(which he does)

Ya'll acting like you ain't never seen a Dragon Ball anime with the downtime or buildup between fights.

It ain't meant to go ZERO TO 100 MPH in the first episode.

It's meant to go 100 MPH when shit hits the fan AND KEEP GOING

DBZ literally in the first episode was setting up Raditz.

NeonZ

DBZ literally in the first episode was setting up Raditz.

The first DBZ episode has one scene with Raditz, most of it is Gohan lost in a forest. It's still faster than Super so far though, since Raditz meets Goku at the end of the 2nd episode, rather than only in the fourth one. Still, the beginning of the Buu Saga was much slower than that, and closer to Super.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
It seems like the series is finally "growing" a little bit by giving us characters that Goku can't beat.

Although it does give him something to train for!

Obviously he's going to be stronger than all of them sooner than later.

In RoF, Whis said it would take him about 30 minutes to get to earth but Goku said that would take too long so Bulma had everyone powerup so Goku could find them and teleport to them.(which he does)

30 Minutes? Thats about an episode of those chinese cartoons... :p 8good joke Beerus had their)...

Anyway, do you think Whis might have other intentions than just training Beerus and mentoring him? He clearly is an "odd" being Beerus literally sleeps for ages, and I dont think the Whis enjoy lounging around doing nothing. There is more to this guy than we know I guess...

KHlover

Banned
30 Minutes? Thats about an episode of those chinese cartoons... :p 8good joke Beerus had their)...

Anyway, do you think Whis might have other intentions than just training Beerus and mentoring him? He clearly is an "odd" being Beerus literally sleeps for ages, and I dont think the Whis enjoy lounging around doing nothing. There is more to this guy than we know I guess...

According to the wiki Whis and Beerus are at least 75 million years old. 30 years don't mean anything to either of them.

According to the wiki Whis and Beerus are at least 75 million years old. 30 years don't mean anything to either of them.

Well ok, but still, something is odd about Whis? He is the mentor of ALL gods of destructions there were? It sure could be a very interesting story with Whis and Beerus, if done right...

Iceternal

Damn the japanese dub is pretty bad ...

There's been a noticeable drop in quality since 15 years ago.

They shouldn't cling to voice actors that are just too old to act properly.

Goku is starting to lose his intensity. King Kai is RIDICULOUS, damn he's just reading his lines...

kinggroin

Banned
King Kai sounds HORRIBLE

His character is screaming and moving around real fast, but the voice actor sounds like he's reading a documentary script.

Well ok, but still, something is odd about Whis? He is the mentor of ALL gods of destructions there were? It sure could be a very interesting story with Whis and Beerus, if done right...

No, we've already seen a female version of Whis hanging out with Chompa so there's clearly a version of both Whis and Beerus' race in every universe and Beerus was commenting in BoG that some of the other gods of destruction were stronger than him. I'm sure Chompa and female Whis are from Universe 6 and are what will trigger everyone headed that way after running into them.

Kaze Kyou

I just had a thought - someone mentioned different variations and different styles of fighting - what if Gohan was instead delegated as the DBS equivalent of Naruto's Shikamaru, using his brain to think of strategies by analysing comrades' abilities and turning the tables on a superior enemy?

Since AT is determined to make Gohan the bookworm, he should at least play his intelligence for the new series. Gohan can still fight and hold his own, but maybe make his role more of a commander or something. Besides, Gohan also had the privilege of training under the current strategist of the group (and real dad) Piccolo.

Just watches Yo Son Goku and Friends Return and boy do they bury Frieza. Those 2 enemies that show up are as strong as Frieza and Goku says Frieza is a push over, let Goten and Trunks defeat these two.....Frieza enemy is beatin without going SSJ.

This makes me believe even more that Pui Pui & Yakon>>>>>>Frieza

I also hope they retcon BoG and have Vegeta go SSJ3

I hope in the Universe 6 saga we get enemies and henchman on Buu-Whis power level and everyone has to strategize on ways to win. Not just 1 guy obtaining a new level or a fusion.

LordOfChaos

Earth is a weird anomaly when it comes to having strong fighters. If multiple people stronger than Freeza had been kicking around the galaxy at large, he wouldn't have been an unopposed tyrant who never had to lift a finger to begin with.

Exactly, in a galaxy with hundreds of billions of star systems it's statistically a bit insane. Granted that's where the remaining Saiyans went, but it's a big galaxy. Let alone other galaxies.

LordOfChaos

that's how I viewed it.

buu actively going around killing off planets and would continue to do so.

beerus goes around and does whatever blowing up some planets but then goes back to sleep for a long time.

beerus can take buu in a fight no problem, but that doesn't make him more terrible than buu.

I mean current goku could easily take nappa, but that doesn't make goku more terrible than nappa right?

And what Beerus does kind of seems like Galactus's role, right? With destruction being a universal necessity, more like a force of nature than evil. Keeping the galactic population down or something. The whimsical nature of deciding by how good the food is could even be a quick way to sample if a civilization is...Civilized.

And what Beerus does kind of seems like Galactus's role, right? With destruction being a universal necessity, more like a force of nature than evil. Keeping the galactic population down or something. The whimsical nature of deciding by how good the food is could even be a quick way to sample if a civilization is...Civilized.

Supreme Kai asks old kai if what Beerus does is necessary and "for a reason"(like Galactus) and old kai says no, that Beerus just destroys things on a complete whim, he does liken him to a force of nature.

It's like a natural disaster, there's no grand plan or reason for them in terms of keeping balance, they just happen.

LordOfChaos

It is pretty ridiculous tho when you create a character that's faster in movement than your opponents nerves sending signals. Sure you can write around that but the whole going back a few minutes in time is pretty awful to go with

I find it weird that they mentioned nerve signals being a limitation. I mean, these guys already move so fast that humans can't track them when they're fighting, if they have nerves they're obviously already super low latency somehow.

NeonZ

That's what was said in Battle of Gods, but in Super the old Kai said that his destruction was meaningless.

LordOfChaos

That's what was said in Battle of Gods, but in Super the old Kai said that his destruction was meaningless.

I like the BoG explanation better than. Is it not out of character for Goku and Co to be cool with wanton destruction so long as their one planet among hundreds of thousands isn't blown up? If the second explanation is true they're allowing wanton evil and destruction to exist. Aside from the fact that they can't beat him, unless together.

I guess they did do exactly what I'm saying a few times though, including in the new Frieza movie. Goku says go back home to Freiza, so basically him having an evil galactic empire is fine so long as earth isn't touched?

Sigh, this series made so much more sense as a kid, lol

VariantX

Dunno, he seems to destroy worlds at a whim along side fulfilling any purpose. He just wasted a world because he decided he didn't want dinosaur meat after all. A world with primitive beings just living their day to day lives. Would almost say he was worse than Buu, but Buu simply destroyed worlds simply because he was a mindless creature without reason.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Damn the japanese dub is pretty bad ...

There's been a noticeable drop in quality since 15 years ago.

They shouldn't cling to voice actors that are just too old to act properly.

Goku is starting to lose his intensity. King Kai is RIDICULOUS, damn he's just reading his lines...
Goku sucks ass with that old lady doing his voice (they never should've brought her back after the original DB), but the award for worse VA goes to King Kai. It's so bad I cringe every time he speaks. How old's his VA? 90?

Astral Dog

I like the BoG explanation better than. Is it not out of character for Goku and Co to be cool with wanton destruction so long as their one planet among hundreds of thousands isn't blown up? If the second explanation is true they're allowing wanton evil and destruction to exist. Aside from the fact that they can't beat him, unless together.

I guess they did do exactly what I'm saying a few times though, including in the new Frieza movie. Goku says go back home to Freiza, so basically him having an evil galactic empire is fine so long as earth isn't touched?

Sigh, this series made so much more sense as a kid, lol

Its kinda weird, the first explanation makes more sense as far as we know about Whis, he trained Beerus but also seems like an affable person doing a job, not just for the heck of it, also Beerus does not seem like a true villain either, maybe there is another force beyond Beerus and Whis giving orders?

Goku letting Frieza go is almost a joke now, he truly doesnt care, Vegeta was probably going to kill him anyways though,

No, we've already seen a female version of Whis hanging out with Chompa so there's clearly a version of both Whis and Beerus' race in every universe and Beerus was commenting in BoG that some of the other gods of destruction were stronger than him. I'm sure Chompa and female Whis are from Universe 6 and are what will trigger everyone headed that way after running into them.

Having two of each so far doesn't necessarily mean every universe will be like that, though it's not an unreasonable assumption. I'm personally hoping that the further we get from the main universe, the more different things will be.

LordOfChaos

Its kinda weird, the first explanation makes more sense as far as we know about Whis, he trained Beerus but also seems like an affable person doing a job, not just for the heck of it, also Beerus does not seem like a true villain either, maybe there is another force beyond Beerus and Whis giving orders?

Yeah, that too. I hope they're given an explanation. Whis definitely doesn't seem evil, and Bills seems petty but not wholly bad either, so them doing it without a good reason is going to nag at me.

My head-canon is going to be the DBZ Galactus explanation for now, balance between life and death and whatnot.

I don't think the "75 million before age" means they're only 75 million years old, that would make no sense, as they'd be about 14 billion short of the universe if it's like ours. And then who would be doing their job for all the civilizations prior to 75 million years ago?

I think the "Before age" part probably means before the universe or something, being gods? Same as Buu, who was in the 5 million before age, so since it's going backwards is younger than Bills and Whis, like BC going backwards and AD going forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom