• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

That's even more of a head scratcher, they're gods (or at least Beerus is) that are about 14 billion years short of the universe! If civilizations existed before us, and they must have, who was doing their job (if there is a job) before 75 million years ago?

They were never stated to have been born 75 million years ago. It's officially known that they existed at least 75 million years ago, because that was when Beerus sealed the old Kai in the Z Sword, but we don't know anything about their origins at this point.

LordOfChaos

They were never stated to have been born 75 million years ago. It's officially known that they existed 75 years ago, since that was when Beerus sealed the old Kai in the Z Sword, but we don't know since when they've been around.

Yeah I edited that after going to the wikis myself, it doesn't say they're 75 million years old, it says they existed in the "75 million before age", which I think means something else. Maybe like BC does, except for the start of the universe?

NeonZ

Yeah I edited that after going to the wikis myself, it doesn't say they're 75 million years old, it says they existed in the "75 million before age", which I think means something else. Maybe like BC does, except for the start of the universe?

Dragonball's expanded material uses a weird fictional calendar system. "Before Age" is basically the same as"Before Christ" to us - a date before the year one of their calendar. For reference, Dragonball starts during "Age 749".

Anyway, like I explained above, that's just the earliest year where their existence has been officially confirmed at this point (due to the Z Sword incident taking place at that time), it doesn't mean they were born around that time.

brinstar

I like the BoG explanation better than. Is it not out of character for Goku and Co to be cool with wanton destruction so long as their one planet among hundreds of thousands isn't blown up? If the second explanation is true they're allowing wanton evil and destruction to exist. Aside from the fact that they can't beat him, unless together.

I guess they did do exactly what I'm saying a few times though, including in the new Frieza movie. Goku says go back home to Freiza, so basically him having an evil galactic empire is fine so long as earth isn't touched?

Sigh, this series made so much more sense as a kid, lol

I don't think Goku and co. care that much about other planets as long as it's not directly impacting them. Remember that they weren't even going to engage Freeza until it became inevitable. And even after defeating them they showed no interest in further investigating his planet trade organization lol

LordOfChaos

I don't think Goku and co. care that much about other planets as long as it's not directly impacting them. Remember that they weren't even going to engage Freeza until it became inevitable. And even after defeating them they showed no interest in further investigating his planet trade organization lol

Y'know, they kind of suck then, lol. "Save trillions of lives because we have the third most powerful being in the universe? Nah, let's eat".

And since Frieza's army and planet trade were shown to have continued after his death that's completely on point. It's like taking out Kim Jong Un but all the generals in charge are still around.

Astral Dog

Y'know, they kind of suck then, lol. "Save trillions of lives because we have the third most powerful being in the universe? Nah, let's eat".

And since Frieza's army and planet trade were shown to have continued after his death that's completely on point. It's like taking out Kim Jong Un but all the generals in charge are still around.

well, to be fair the remnants were not that important, all leaders and high generals were defeated except for two or three, and they were losing control without Frieza anyways, besides Vegeta was killing them on the anime :p

brinstar

Yeah in the anime they added some scenes where Vegeta was hunting down the rest of them which was pretty cool. In the comics they just kind of never come up again.

But I assume there's all kinds of conflicts going on in the vast DB universe that Goku and co. would never find out about. I mean even in Super an entire planet & civilization just got wiped out by Beerus and Goku will never know about it. lol

Erigu

Exactly, in a galaxy with hundreds of billions of star systems it's statistically a bit insane. Granted that's where the remaining Saiyans went, but it's a big galaxy. Let alone other galaxies.
Yes, but note that there apparently are only four galaxies, in Dragon Ball's universe.

I don't think the "75 million before age" means they're only 75 million years old, that would make no sense, as they'd be about 14 billion short of the universe if it's like ours.
Not sure why you'd assume it is though!

And then who would be doing their job for all the civilizations prior to 75 million years ago?
Their predecessors? I mean, we know there are several generations of Kaiôshin, for instance, so why assume Beerus is the only God of Destruction there ever was?

I think the "Before age" part probably means before the universe or something
No, it's the equivalent of "BC" for our calendar. So that would indeed be "75 million years ago", effectively.

Same as Buu, who was in the 5 million before age, so since it's going backwards is younger than Bills and Whis
We don't know how old Majin Boo really is, I believe?

We don't know how old Majin Boo really is, I believe?

e8Sx57a.png

Sciz

But I assume there's all kinds of conflicts going on in the vast DB universe that Goku and co. would never find out about. I mean even in Super an entire planet & civilization just got wiped out by Beerus and Goku will never know about it. lol

In a perfect world where the characters came into existence much earlier, GT would've been a Galactic Patrol based spinoff focused on the fallout of Freeza's defeat out in space.

NeonZ

Wait when did we find out that Beerus sealed Old Kai in the Z Sword? Episode 3?

Technically, Toriyama mentioned it for the first time in a Q&A around the airing of Buu Saga Kai. But, yes, it was only said in a series script itself now in Super.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/saikyo-jump-june-2014-issue-twel-buu-mysteries/

The Kaiōshin (who create planets) and the Gods of Destruction (who destroy them) have never gotten along that well, but once every 1,000 years they go to each other’s realms and hold a coordination meeting. At this time, they got into an argument over some trifling thing, and a certain short-tempered God of Destruction sealed Elder Kaiōshin away inside a sword. Naturally, it wouldn’t have been proper for him to destroy the Kaiōshin Realm itself. By the way, that God of Destruction was Beerus.

Sounds kind of weird to have a god of destruction being so much more stronger than the gods of creation.

Why? It makes sense that to be strong to destroy. You don't need brute power to create.

Besides, for all we know Beerus is only that strong because he trained under Whis, an almighty being we know nothing about (he isn't a god of destruction nor a god of creation).

Also, Goku was asked if he wants to become a god twice in the series (first by Kami, then by Whis). He'd be a god who's way stronger than the other gods too.

Stalk

Sounds kind of weird to have a god of destruction being so much more stronger than the gods of creation.

It's a lot quicker to destroy something than make it, so I can kinda see what you mean, but I think in terms of Dragon Ball it's best to just accept it hah.

Episode three was interesting, but I found that I was a little bit... unsure of the way things progressed in terms of inserting Beerus. Beerus wiping out the dinosaurs made me smile and was kind of cute, Beerus asking Freiza to wipe out the Sayians... a little bit tetchy... but then Beerus sealing the Old Kai in the Z Sword was sorta the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Retroactively putting Beerus into continuity feels a bit forced to me but then I remember this is Dragon Ball. Looking forward to actually getting into the Battle of the Gods arc now to see what, if any, original stuff we get on the other side.

Just watched the first episode last night, really liked it. I love how Goku is as kind and innocent as ever and just happily goes along with Chi Chi's wish to be a farmer (won't last long). I still haven't watched the new movies like Battle of the Gods so a lot is flying over my head. Is Lord Beerus probably going to be the new villain or are he and the other "gods" mainly there to provide greater context to the greater galactic conflicts going on behind the scenes? (Like Corlons and Shadows? Never thought I'd make a Babylon 5 reference in a DBZ discussion heh...) Don't really want to see Beerus constantly TBH, I really don't care for his ugly Egyptian cat design, oh well.

Oh yeah and the scene where Buu interrupts the press conference and embarrasses Mr. Satan because he wants lunch really cracked me up. lol

I saw a clip from the Battle of the Gods movie, and the animation knocked Super out of the park (although I'm aware there's some ghetto cg in there), so I'll probably just watch it and enjoy the story in an hour instead of the 2 months it'll take to stretch the story into a number of episodes.

I saw a clip from the Battle of the Gods movie, and the animation knocked Super out of the park (although I'm aware there's some ghetto cg in there), so I'll probably just watch it and enjoy the story in an hour instead of the 2 months it'll take to stretch the story into a number of episodes.

So Super is just an extended version of Battle of the Gods? It's not its own proper series/continuation?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

I think you can also consider the god of destruction as the universe's last line of defense. Say no one else was able to stop Buu, or frieza's federation ended up enslaving too significant a portion of space. The God of Destruction then steps in and eliminates the threat, but only as a last resort.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So no episode this week?

Why? It makes sense that to be strong to destroy. You don't need brute power to create.

It's a lot quicker to destroy something than make it, so I can kinda see what you mean, but I think in terms of Dragon Ball it's best to just accept it hah.

Um excuse me gentlemen, but allow me to to introduce you to my friend, entropy. It takes far, far less energy to destroy something than to create it. /APchemstudent

Stalk

So no episode this week?

Um excuse me gentlemen, but allow me to to introduce you to my friend, entropy. It takes far, far less energy to destroy something than to create it. /APchemstudent

Hah, good point. That fell out of my head though I will admit I was more thinking of it like someone constructing something like a sandcastle then stomping on it. No, no new episode.

Astral Dog

So no episode this week?

Not in Dragon Ball :p

You see, the Namekians created one of the most powerful tools in the universe, and the top Gods are less powerful than an Earth made android, or the Devil.

Omni

I really dislike Gotenks. Still find it ridiculous even for DB standards that two children can become one of the strongest fighters in the universe by doing a dance. And reaching SSJ3? Ugh. Even makes Vegeta look bad in contrast.

Plus the attitude. The kids are better separate.

I hope the villains have some kind of transformation. Its not dragon ball without transformations.

But yes it is...

Original Dragon Ball had no transformation other than Piccolo "producing" Piccolo Jr.

Beerus and Whis are already overly strong, giving them somekind of transformation seems odd...maybe they can fuse :D

But yes it is...

Original Dragon Ball had no transformation other than Piccolo "producing" Piccolo Jr.

Beerus and Whis are already overly strong, giving them somekind of transformation seems odd...maybe they can fuse :D

Mmh, the Oozaru transformation was a massive part of the original DB...

But it only happened twice or am i wrong?

It wasnt as common as "yeah lets just go Super Saiyan 1 2 3 and beat the crap out of them"

I guess. There were also more "organic" transformations like Master Roshi's muscular form, Tenshinhan's extra arms and body doubles, Piccolo's giant form, Launch, etc.

But I see what you mean. Transformations used to be more creative and character-specific, whereas nowadays everyone is just SSJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom