• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
What arc, goku doesn't have a character arc. His generally stay the same throughout the series.

His progression from some really strong kid to world champion and then strongest in the universe.

Really.. nothing happened. Pilaf and crew get on a boat.. Vegeta gets a phone call while training and doesn't answer it.. King Kai's voice actor falls asleep.

Then Beerus shows up.

Kind of a waste of 20 minutes. Still, the animation and art was a lot better this time.
Hope they keep it going forward.

Yep, it's a Dragon Ball TV series doing what it does best. I don't really mind since Pilaf and crew are fun characters.

NeonZ

Piccolo made a 4 year old spend 6 month in the wild by himself. Also piccolo is barely there in both gohan and goten lives.

Well, Piccolo had evil intentions when he did that, but he clearly changed a lot after bonding with Gohan. He was with Gohan, alongside Goku, when they were training for the androids, and he always pops up in these reunion parties. It's unclear how close they were during the 7 years. Recently, Piccolo in RoF is shown taking care of Pan.

The OP has really grown on me, it's no CHA LA HEAD CHA LA or DAN DAN but I like it in it's own way. Now we are entering the recap of Battle of Gods, although things are different, like the party being on a cruise ship from last episode. King Kai's voice actor definitely leave something to be desired, especially this episode when the animation for his yelling at Goku does not match the voice. Still the dude has been sick for a while and is pushing 90, I can give one character a break.

Anyway, I want to point out the obvious fact that this episode looks way, way different then the rest of the Super episodes and pretty much every other DB episode. It has really thick lines and lots of close ups, of course this means people will probably hate it because it's different (same people who don't know who Pilaf is I would bet.) Whoever was in charge of this episode has a unique style and I like that -

m0om6WU.jpg
nucQJen.jpg
vaicLPl.jpg

Sometimes it's used to varying degrees as well, creating a cool effect between the background and foreground -

Lots of A+ faces too, Dragon Ball is back baby, I am really enjoying this!

The OP has really grown on me, it's no CHA LA HEAD CHA LA or DAN DAN but I like it in it's own way. Now we are entering the recap of Battle of Gods, although things are different, like the party being on a cruise ship from last episode. King Kai's voice actor definitely leave something to be desired, especially this episode when the animation for his yelling at Goku does not match the voice. Still the dude has been sick for a while and is pushing 90, I can give one character a break.

Anyway, I want to point out the obvious fact that this episode looks way, way different then the rest of the Super episodes and pretty much every other DB episode. It has really thick lines and lots of close ups, of course this means people will probably hate it because it's different (same people who don't know who Pilaf is I would bet.) Whoever was in charge of this episode has a unique style and I like that -

Sometimes it's used to varying degrees as well, creating a cool effect between the background and foreground -

Lots of A+ faces too, Dragon Ball is back baby, I am really enjoying this!

I think it looks great,

Actually, DBZ has lines of varying thickness.. not to this degree, but still, had a nice look to it. Super started looking like shit. CG drawn lines of single value width.

PreFire

I think it looks great,

Actually, DBZ has lines of varying thickness.. not to this degree, but still, had a nice look to it. Super started looking like shit. CG drawn lines of single value width.

More like vector

And man, I hope this series picks up. I want fights damn it

Loved that episode. And the pacing is the way it is because Battle of Gods was paced this way. Its probably going to take them 15-20 episodes for the Battle of Gods stuff.

It would be nice if they threw us a bone and put a small story arc in between Battle of Gods and Frieza. Maybe at least show
how Vegeta became a god

Limit

Goten and trunks running around the ship reminded me a lot of when Gon and Killua from hunter x hunter were running around and exploring the hunter airship that was taking them to the next testing phase. Watch here at 8.00 mark if you would like to.

Oh how I wish goten and trunks were 1/10th as interesting as characters as Gon and Killua are.

Goten and trunks running around the ship reminded me a lot of when Gon and Killua from hunter x hunter were running around and exploring the hunter airship that was taking them to the next testing phase. Watch here at 8.00 mark if you would like to.

Oh how I wish goten and trunks were 1/10th as interesting as characters as Gon and Killua are.

every time someone brings up Hunter x Hunter I cry a
lot
little

but i also wish this

Dark_castle

That's not exactly fair considering that Gon and Killua are two main characters of its series whereas Goten and Trunks are just side kicks.

Episode 4...slow episode, not even halfway through Battle of Gods yet. What's the point showing everything again when there was already a movie on the same storyline and characters. It's just so pointless and expected, like we've been spoiled going into the new series. No wonder the subtitles came out late. Nobody was enthusiastic enough to care.

Alienous

Vegeta is totally banging Bulma's secretary.

Also I really want to see an animation comparison between this and Battle of Gods. I love seeing how different teams (such as animation teams) handle portraying the same scenes.

ant1532

Banned
haters gon hate, episode was great.

in these last two pages people realizing that they are retelling battle of the gods as an arc and that pilaf have a story line in it. it also looks on pace to be as many episodes I guessed it would be, like 13-15. if this episode was completely pilaf based, i'd understand the complaints, but I feel like people are overstating it a bit.

loved the part with goku trying to figure out if beerus is a bad guy. next episode looks so goooood, <3 ssj3

munchie64

I liked the episode, but they probably should have come up with some sort of action "filler" to put somewhere in these first 4, just to break up the pace a bit. Next episode is gonna be great for that I think. Action could see a little improvement in Battle of Gods, at least until the final fight.
Also the guide is up for it at Kanzenshuu.

Zalman

I was surprised that Pilaf didn't recognize Goten's hair like he did in the movie. Maybe that'll come in the next episode. It was a neat little detail.

Kuroyume

Banned
Weakest episode yet, but I still enjoyed it. I'm surprised they've used Kai so much. Up to this point it feels like he's had the most lines, but it could be because he sticks out like a sore thumb.

I hate that. It looks like trash. It's appeared in a few scenes in the previous episodes. Jarring to go from nicely detailed fine lines to that thick style. Looks cheap relative to the rest of the episode.

Kitoro

I might be missing something, but shouldnt Pilaf see Goten and think thats Goku?

That happened in Battle of Gods. How does that movie fit into this series? Does it kick off the series, essentially?

Sorry, just found my way into this thread.

NeonZ

That happened in Battle of Gods. How does that movie fit into this series? Does it kick off the series, essentially?

Sorry, just found my way into this thread.

This series' first two arcs are going to be expanded retellings of the movies, with some elements changed around too.

Based on the manga chapter, we should see a rather big change next week, but nothing was hinted in the previews so maybe it'll take longer in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom