• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind the slower pace of this series it feels appropriate to a tv show and in general I just love this world and it's characters so I have no problem with them taking their time.

BobLoblaw

Banned
84 year-old Kaio, huh? Looks like I lose my bet of him 90+. He's awful. I can understand not wanting to get rid of him for nostalgia, but he's the worse thing about the show. It's like he runs out of breath after five or six words. That plus grown ass Goku still having the same voice as when he was like 8 still boggles my mind. On topic, episode was was pretty good and I actually liked the cell shading. Compared to One Piece, Toei is at least making this show look nice.

it seems that they are experimenting with different art styles in some episodes

I like how this weeks was drawn....

of course it is unfortunate that we are going through the similar premise of BoG but I kinda like the few changes they've done to it

as long as the Beerus vs Goku Fight isn't downgraded to sheer annoyance I am fine.... that and maybe they should pick of the pace a little more

I hope they keep the art style and budget throughout like Today's episode really like the style

Finalow

Dude's old. He's 84. He very likely CAN'T pull off Kaio's personality.
I know that but this dub is just terrible, 84 years old veteran or not they should have found a replacement.
at least Kai won't have much screen time or any at all after this part.

NeonZ

I know that but this dub is just terrible, 84 years old veteran or not they should have found a replacement.

There'd be a big backlash if they actually went for someone else while he wanted the role. He's also the narrator too, which is a pretty iconic part of Dragonball in Japan. Yeah, objectively, it ends up hurting the final product, but not casting him would bring backlash among their actual target market for the Japanese track.

NeonZ

I don't understand why they're changing things from BoG .. what is the point of that?

Because they want it to be slower than the movie.

I guess a large part of it is how they're advertising that it's based on a Toriyama outline. Toriyama's outline probably is fairly small or incomplete at this point, which is likely why they need to drag things on to give him more time, like back during Z's actual run.

Toparaman

Banned
I can't. He sounds nothing like the original. A good imitator would do a much better job at reminding us of Kaio.

Yeah, I didn't even recognize that it was the same voice actor. Strangely though, he still sounds the same when doing narration.

That plus grown ass Goku still having the same voice as when he was like 8 still boggles my mind.

This is the one criticism of the Japanese voices in DB/DBZ that I agree with. The actual quality of the performances is miles better than the English dub(s). Maybe if I grew up watching the dub on Toonami I would feel differently, but from my nostalgia-free perspective, there's no contest. The Japanese voice-actor performances add a level of professionalism that somewhat elevates the content beyond just a kids show. Unfortunately some of the actors have deteriorated in Super due to age (Vegeta definitely).

It's also worth noting that the American voices of Goku (both kid and adult) miss a key part of his characterization: he's a hick, a hillbilly. He's supposed to have an uncultured style of speaking and a bit of a backwoods accent. Instead he just sounds like a guy who grew up in a middle-class suburb.

It's also worth noting that the American voices of Goku (both kid and adult) miss a key part of his characterization: he's a hick, a hillbilly. He's supposed to have an uncultured style of speaking and a bit of a backwoods accent. Instead he just sounds like a guy who grew up in a middle-class suburb.

This is the main reason I prefer his Japanese voice.

todd360

it seems that they are experimenting with different art styles in some episodes

I like how this weeks was drawn....

of course it is unfortunate that we are going through the similar premise of BoG but I kinda like the few changes they've done to it

as long as the Beerus vs Goku Fight isn't downgraded to sheer annoyance I am fine.... that and maybe they should pick of the pace a little more

I hope they keep the art style and budget throughout like Today's episode really like the style

Wait... I haven't watched super yet. I'm waiting for episodes to pile up. Do you mean to tell me that they act like BoG didn't happen? I thought the movies were canon.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Can't wait to see ressurection on f this week. Finna eat sushi after.
Wait... I haven't watched super yet. I'm waiting for episodes to pile up. Do you mean to tell me that they act like BoG didn't happen? I thought the movies were canon.
They are retelling the movies with small changes

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Its just a retelling
how many times must this be mentioned in the thread? lol
of BoG and I think RoF with changes. I like it because I hate there being than one adaptions of the same story in any given media.

The only way an English Goku could pull of a Hickish accent is if he sounded southern and obviously that wouldn't work too well for English audiences.

The best way to handle it would be simply to reflect it in the dialogue and not necessarily the voice which I think Kai handled fairly well in that you can tell Goku's not the brightest bulb in the shed.

munchie64

There'd be a big backlash if they actually went for someone else while he wanted the role. He's also the narrator too, which is a pretty iconic part of Dragonball in Japan. Yeah, objectively, it ends up hurting the final product, but not casting him would bring backlash among their actual target market for the Japanese track.
He still sounds pretty good as the narrator imo

KHlover

Banned
Rewatch the old episodes and the only things thats changed is that he can't seem to yell.
Which immediately *should* disqualify him for Kaio since that role consists of yelling at Goku for like 95% of the time. I understand not wanting to force the old man out, but what would be so bad about keeping him for the narration while recasting Kaio?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Which immediately *should* disqualify him for Kaio since that role consists of yelling at Goku for like 95% of the time. I understand not wanting to force the old man out, but what would be so bad about keeping him for the narration while recasting Kaio?

Recasting anime VAs seem bad. Beside give the old guy a break. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Moaradin

I will never be able to hear King Kai as anything other than the English voice. Crazy that Goku and Kai both share the same VO in English as well. Wouldn't be able to tell without looking for it.

KHlover

Banned
Recasting anime VAs seem bad. Beside give the old guy a break. It doesn't have to be perfect.
Sure, but it should be good or even just decent. This...is actually - without hyperbole - one of the worst VA performances I've ever heard and that's including fandubs and abridged series. There's a huge difference between how the lines are delivered by the VA and how it's actually supposed to sound like. Dude doesn't have the power for Kaio anymore and that's okay, he's over 80 years old already. However it's irritating to the point where I hope he realizes it himself amd passes on the baton sooner rather than later :/

Branson

I will never be able to hear King Kai as anything other than the English voice. Crazy that Goku and Kai both share the same VO in English as well. Wouldn't be able to tell without looking for it.

I havent heard him in Super yet, but I do like how the japanese voice was deep and didnt sound like his mouth was full of marbles. That said, Sean's take on him is really weird comparatively. I still sort of enjoy it now, even though I think it doesnt have any place in the English dub since they've actually gotten serious about being faithful to the show.

I havent heard him in Super yet, but I do like how the japanese voice was deep and didnt sound like his mouth was full of marbles. That said, Sean's take on him is really weird comparatively. I still sort of enjoy it now, even though I think it doesnt have any place in the English dub since they've actually gotten serious about being faithful to the show.

He's just mimicing the Ocean voice.

todd360

Its just a retelling
of BoG and I think RoF with changes. I like it because I hate there being than one adaptions of the same story in any given media.

Retelling? That's disappointing. They should have just started the show after the movies. Guess I will have to hold my opinion on it until I actually watch the show though.

The only way an English Goku could pull of a Hickish accent is if he sounded southern and obviously that wouldn't work too well for English audiences.

The best way to handle it would be simply to reflect it in the dialogue and not necessarily the voice which I think Kai handled fairly well in that you can tell Goku's not the brightest bulb in the shed.

I don't think the Englidh dub Goku is all that bad. But yeah, I see how it's lacking that aspect.

I've grown to like the DBZ Abridged Goku quite a bit. They really amp up the stupid factor and it works.. Even Battle of Gods US Goku seemed to be a little inspired by it with the 'proper' introduction gave to Beerus.

It doesn't necessarily have to be hickish, but needs more slang to get the feel of hickish Goku.

Sheroking

I definitely don't agree with the idea that young Goku in the Dragon Ball dub WASN'T portrayed a hick. He definitely was. His dialogue, his mannerism, his complete lack of social etiquette were all faithfully adapted IMO. I even think the Stephanie Nadolny gave him a bit of an accent that conveyed a lack of learning and knowledge. It was more subtle than the original dub, but it would be hard to be less subtle.

Thing is, I think it makes more sense for him to have lost that as adult Goku. He spent three years (his puberty years at that) with Kami and Popo, who were cultured, intelligent and refined. Goku was ALWAYS portrayed as ignorant, but a quick study in adapting to new situations. The jump from child to adult saw him develop a calmness as a character he didn't have as a kid. He had far more respect for life from the Piccolo Jr saga onward, than he had before.

None of that is why I prefer Schemmel to Nozawa though. I have never, not for one second, found her version of Goku to be tolerable. Not from minute one of Dragon Ball. Nails on a chalkboard level annoying. The english equivalent is like Gilbert Gottsfried or something.

Its just a retelling

We should change the Topic yet again "Dragon Ball Super Toriyama forgOT, so we get a retelling of BoG and RoF and Toriyamas grocery list...

Malajax

Thing is, I think it makes more sense for him to have lost that as adult Goku. He spent three years (his puberty years at that) with Kami and Popo, who were cultured, intelligent and refined. Goku was ALWAYS portrayed as ignorant, but a quick study in adapting to new situations. The jump from child to adult saw him develop a calmness as a character he didn't have as a kid. He had far more respect for life from the Piccolo Jr saga onward, than he had before.
This did not happen. No matter how you try to frame it, Goku as a a character barely changed post Kami training.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Retelling? That's disappointing. They should have just started the show after the movies. Guess I will have to hold my opinion on it until I actually watch the show though.

Why do you think they are skipping the dub for the movie arcs? These movie arcs are for the non-Westerners.

Sheroking

This did not happen. No matter how you try to frame it, Goku as a a character barely changed post Kami training.

Bullshit.

The manga even makes a point of characters noticing how Goku has changed. Bulma, Roshi and Krillin ALL have dialogue about it in the span of like 10 chapters including and specifically how calm and centered he is.

This is the character who murdered everything in his path from Red Ribbon through King Piccolo and this was the storyline where he started giving his worst enemies passes. He wasn't a completely different character, but there was specifically singled-out changes. I don't see why his manner couldn't be one of them just because it wasn't on the page.

Like I said, though, not the genesis of why I dislike Japanese Goku. I would probably rather listen to literally every other language. Worst VA for a protagonist I've ever heard.

Malajax

Bullshit.

The manga even makes a point of characters noticing how Goku has changed. Bulma, Roshi and Krillin ALL have dialogue about it in the span of like 10 chapters including and specifically how calm and centered he is.

This is the character who murdered everything in his path from Red Ribbon through King Piccolo and this was the storyline where he started giving his worst enemies passes. He wasn't a completely different character, but there was specifically singled-out changes. I don't see why his manner couldn't be one of them just because it wasn't on the page.

Like I said, though, not the genesis of why I dislike Japanese Goku. I would probably rather listen to literally every other language. Worst VA for a protagonist I've ever heard.

The changes you mention last for pretty much as long as you say they did. Meanwhile

-He trembles with excitement (and fear) when Raditz shows up
-Let's the saiyan go that by proxy murdered his closest friends because he wanted to fight him again
-Naively gives energy to a dying Freeza after murdering his friend and attempted to destroy the planet he was on
-Watches his own child get wrecked because he wanted to prove that he was right
-Completely abandons his family to train Uub because it would be fun
Etc etc.

Every one of those examples stems from ignorance and selfishness-- the childlike qualities that encapsulate Goku as a character. Don't care about preferences. To say that post Kami Goku should have had a voice change to match his training changes is silly. His voice got deeper and his fighting style changed. His overall character didn't change much, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom