• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT3| Men in pink? How bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Dog

What kinda blows my mind is that the GT movie was released during the Super 17 Saga. Did they already know that the series was going to end?

i think so? i always thought the series actually got extended after the Baby saga.

the Gt movie is that special with Gotenks 2.0 right? that one was a bit weird, but sweet.

Tsunamo

the Gt movie is that special with Gotenks 2.0 right? that one was a bit weird, but sweet.
I have no idea what this is. Gotenks 2.0?

There's one with Goku Jr. going on an Adventure to get the Dragon Ball/s to make his Grandma Pan better. I assume that's what you're talking about, because I think that was the only GT special that was produced.
What kinda blows my mind is that the GT movie was released during the Super 17 Saga. Did they already know that the series was going to end?
I had no idea about this. I was under the impression for so many years that it was done after GT ended and was confused about why GT's ending was set after that movie, not before, but that explains so much.

Astral Dog

I have no idea what this is. Gotenks 2.0?

There's one with Goku Jr. going on an Adventure to get the Dragon Ball/s to make his Grandma Pan better. I assume that's what you're talking about, because I think that was the only GT special that was produced.
I had no idea about this. I was under the impression for so many years that it was done after GT ended and was confused about why GT's ending was set after that movie, not before, but that explains so much.

yes the little kid that looks like Goku.

does the Dragon Ball special counts as a GT movie too? the one that is a retelling of the Red Ribbon saga, not only Goku is on GT design but they also use GT soundtrack credits.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Giving Goku the GT design in that movie was so dumb. He was wearing his regular pants in the beginning of the movie then changes into the GT pants for no reason.

Giving Goku the GT design in that movie was so dumb. He was wearing his regular pants in the beginning of the movie then changes into the GT pants for no reason.

Doesn't he change clothes a few times in the original DB? And the colors are always different depending on the manga parts, promotional illustrations, anime, etc... I don't see how his GT design is dumb in that movie, especially as it is a non-canon retelling anyway.

If anything the dumb thing in that movie is not seizing a perfect opportunity to name-drop or cameo Dr. Gero prior to the destruction of the Red Ribbon army.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
No big deal, he just changed pants. Besides the GT clothes are cool.

There was no good reason for him to do so. If he started out the movie that way and kept it throughout I'd be fine with that. The part where he actively switches away from the normal pants is the dumb part

Zalman

Goku's GT clothes never bothered me. One thing I like about the movie is that they kept Bulma's purple hair. I wish it was always purple everywhere, honestly.

Anth0ny

no dragon ball super today

instead, enjoy this cool gif that popped up on my tumblr feed

tumblr_mo926mrjji1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Crocodile

A) Dragon Ball Super is not, overall, a good looking show. It has its moments but there are plenty of weekly shows that outshine it in regards to animation, art, etc.

B) Stop arguing semantics about money or budget. When someone says "Toei is being cheap" they are technically wrong and it is worth briefly correcting. However I feel its pretty clear at this point is that they arguing the production of DBS (scheduling, distribution of talent across all the shows they make, etc.) is average to subpar. Which is kind of an undeniable fact.

C) Let's not pretend Toei is some "little guy" put on upon by the demands of the anime industry. The individual animators, writers, etc. are worthy of our sympathy not Toei as an institution. They could have restructured their studios and gave them the resources (especially time) for adequate preproduction and production. They chose not to because they wanted this show up on the air ASAP.

no dragon ball super today

instead, enjoy this cool gif that popped up on my tumblr feed

tumblr_mo926mrjji1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Man I REALLY hope Super goes past the end of Z. It will be the biggest missed opportunity of all time if it doesn't :(

Blader

C) Let's not pretend Toei is some "little guy" put on upon by the demands of the anime industry. The individual animators, writers, etc. are worthy of our sympathy not Toei as an institution. They could have restructured their studios and gave them the resources (especially time) for adequate preproduction and production. They chose not to because they wanted this show up on the air ASAP.

That might not have been Toei's call.

Skeeter49

I really have no problem with the GT character designs, most look pretty good.

No Super today, which is a shame because I care more about 56 and 57 than I do 55, so even next week I don't know how excited I'll be, probably the first episode in a while that I'm not terribly excited about. I guess more time to learn about Zeno will be great.

Started Xenoverse, put about 3 hours into it, really liking it so far. I like how they use Shenron to create your character, and the changes in the Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta timeline were pretty cool. Also enjoying the Parallel Quests. Getting the Kamehameha was my first priority.

Tsunamo

yes the little kid that looks like Goku.

does the Dragon Ball special counts as a GT movie too? the one that is a retelling of the Red Ribbon saga, not only Goku is on GT design but they also use GT soundtrack credits.
Yup that's the one.

I wouldn't say it does personally. I always saw it as a anniversary movie celebrating Dragon Ball by retelling early Dragon Ball/The RR Army arc with new designs and a similar but slightly different story. His GT design went pretty well with the updated designs (Bulma as a kid with Pink hair counts :p) for the movie. It felt like a modern retelling of the original because of it, even if it went quite differently to the actual manga.

I should probably rewatch it sometime soon.
Started Xenoverse, put about 3 hours into it, really liking it so far. I like how they use Shenron to create your character, and the changes in the Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta timeline were pretty cool. Also enjoying the Parallel Quests. Getting the Kamehameha was my first priority.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

They do some really fun stuff with timeline altering scenerios later aswell.

Slaythe

I prefer current Vegeta.

I think he got the better end of the stick with that SSB transformation, it fits him really well.

I do absolutely hate the "aura less" color they have in Super though. I can't remember if they had the same in the movie but coupled with off model drawings it's just a disaster.

GT had such a strange color palette. The void of space being blue looked pretty cool, but on the other hand I really don't like all the magenta/pink/purple tones they used on almost every character. Vegeta's gloves and boots look bad in that pic.

Beth Cyra

I don't care what anybody says about GT. It had some badass designs!
I agree.

To mensure at least Vegeta changed and evolved his look. As it stands in Super he hasn't really evolved at all and a little symbol and blue hair fails completely compared to GT.

Zalman

I agree.

To mensure at least Vegeta changed and evolved his look. As it stands in Super he hasn't really evolved at all and a little symbol and blue hair fails completely compared to GT.
To be fair, we're not even past the end of Z yet. It would be weird if he changed now.

Zalman

This is a good point.

Still to me I was very much happy for the change and while it makes sense in the show his overall static look bothers me a small bit.
Yeah, I do agree I would like to see some change, but I'm not expecting it unless we get some sort of timeskip.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
A) Dragon Ball Super is not, overall, a good looking show. It has its moments but there are plenty of weekly shows that outshine it in regards to animation, art, etc.

B) Stop arguing semantics about money or budget. When someone says "Toei is being cheap" they are technically wrong and it is worth briefly correcting. However I feel its pretty clear at this point is that they arguing the production of DBS (scheduling, distribution of talent across all the shows they make, etc.) is average to subpar. Which is kind of an undeniable fact.

Man I REALLY hope Super goes past the end of Z. It will be the biggest missed opportunity of all time if it doesn't :(

Toei has become synonymous with poor quality to me and most western fans. They have the two biggest shonen properties of all time and they treat both like absolute shit.

Do Goku and Vegeta have the same face? I'm looking at some of these pics and I'm starting to not be able to tell the difference.

Biggest difference is that Vegeta always has the super saiyan angry eyes and Goku most of the time has the huge innocent eyes in their base forms. But yeah it's mostly the hair that differentiates them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
GT Trunks and Pan look really good

Personality wise, ehhhhh

Biggest difference is that Vegeta always has the super saiyan angry eyes and Goku most of the time has the huge innocent eyes in their base forms. But yeah it's mostly the hair that differentiates them.

Also Vegeta has those two lines on his temples that I don't think are ever drawn for Goku even when his hair is pulled up:

iABlC97.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Weirdly I loved what little we saw of Bra but never cared for Pan or Trunks.
I am the complete inverse of this opinion. Bra looked terrible. IMO.

HardRojo

Today was going to be perfect: Big breakfast during the morning, go out with the friends during the afternoon/evening to catch some Pokémon and come back home to a Spanish subbed episode of Super, then a shower to get ready for partying as usual on Saturday, all was well until it hit me... no episode this week.

How-I-Met-Your-Mother1.gif

SolVanderlyn

Today was going to be perfect: Big breakfast during the morning, go out with the friends during the afternoon/evening and come back home to a Spanish subbed episode of Super, then a shower to get ready for partying as usual on Saturday, all was good until it hit me... no episode this week.
How-I-Met-Your-Mother1.gif
Watch a DB movie?

BTW, another series that is good for DB fans:

D. Gray Man

Go watch it, it has a new anime now and plenty of eps to catch up on.

GT Trunks and Pan look really good

Personality wise, ehhhhh
I still blame gohan and videl- for pan anyway. Toei just kinda let the story flow. Think about it

The only person really pushing her hard to keep up and train was goku

He up and left her leaving the only people around her that have no interest in fighting and add a bunch of peace to that mix and boom pan

HardRojo

Watch a DB movie?

BTW, another series that is good for DB fans:

D. Gray Man

Go watch it, it has a new anime now and plenty of eps to catch up on.
I read the manga up until one point and loved it, I heard the Anime wasn't complete and they had to cut it short, will this new version continue on from where the previous one left off? What should I do here?

olympia

i went to san francisco today for a workshop so I have to catch up with the thread, but i'll be starting the GT movie and then bojack in about an hour for thread chat and irc chat for simulwatch. i was originally going to start at 5pst but traffic got crazy. i'll post when I'm starting. going to be about 6:20 pst

i'd love for other people to join. quote for IRC info. if you can't make it for GT then hang out for bojack.

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom