• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT3| Men in pink? How bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! Instead of waiting for a new arc in the manga, they just redid the two movies with cheap animation and started pumping out merchandise asap.

The manga is a promotional piece for the anime, not the original product.
Toei was handed a raw deal and they were obligated to make a new series.

NeonZ

The manga is a promotional piece for the anime, not the original product.

Actually, I don't get why this "promotional piece" narrative is so strong. Yeah, obviously the anime is the "main" project, but Toei isn't credited for the manga at all, which shows that it's not officially considered a derivative product from the Super anime (and it obviously isn't, considering how we know it's an alternate take on Toriyama's notes rather than being based on the actual anime material).

Lets compare it to action scenes then:
tumblr_inline_o180y2SX3Q1t767yc_500.jpg

uvnwk1wkceuypzzwowhk.gif

Lol all good. It's just Dragon ball is one of my favorite franchise's of all time. Been watching it all the way back since 1999. It just pains me to see the quality in this day and age.

To be fair, that scene from episode 5 looks a lot better immediately after the part in your gif:

mB0Dx74.gif

(ArchedThunder's gif)

Probably. Either way, I think this show deserves better animation. That's all.

It does, and Toei has clearly been trying to improve the show. Calling Toei cheap and blaming it all on them is pointing the finger at the wrong people, Toei is being the opposite of cheap on this show, they spend more money on it than anything else because they are still fighting the lack of preproduction. Here's an example of what they have to work with, episode 39, that fan favorite Goku vs Hit episode where Goku goes Kaioken was animated in 3 weeks because they simply don't have the time to finish the scripts and storyboards on time. They can't take a break because they have to fill the time slot and it isn't easy to build a buffer of scripts and storyboards when you still have to get a new episode out every week.
Things are clearly getting better though, this arc saw the introduction of a new writer who wrote the first 5 episodes of the arc and is returning soon (He's also the main writer of Pokemon XY and XYZ) . He is a fast writer and it seems like he's already had a real impact on the show's quality since many episodes have seen more normal staff sizes without any drop any real in quality, and outside of the series' solo animator this most recent episode was the first time in months we've seen a single supervisor on an episode and it still came out looking pretty damn polished. The show obviously still has a ways to go before the schedule is normal, but it's pretty clear Toei is trying very hard to fix the show.
Actually, I don't get why this "promotional piece" narrative is so strong. Yeah, obviously the anime is the "main" project, but Toei isn't credited for the manga at all, which shows that it's not officially considered a derivative product from the Super anime (and it obviously isn't, considering how we know it's an alternate take on Toriyama's notes rather than being based on the actual anime material).
It's in V-Jump, V-Jump is nothing but a magazine for advertising things.

Astral Dog

Keep the timeslot warm because Buu kai was ending

Exactly! Instead of waiting for a new arc in the manga, they just redid the two movies with cheap animation and started pumping out merchandise asap.
Im glad they did, RoF needed an extended version,(and BoG had, well had new attacks) shame about the animation.

One thing i find curios is how they still use the Dragon Ball Z name when they are now associated with Super.

LeleSocho

Banned
Are people still trying to argue that DBZ is as bad technically as DBS?
Get over it guys, technically DBS sucks and by trying to nitpick bad scenes from Z makes you as pedantic as the people who come here just to say that DBS is bad.
That Namek Vegeta gets me every time. He's like a saturday morning cartoon villain.

Bald Trunks is even sillier... how could they not notice?

.shin

Banned
Are people still trying to argue that DBZ is as bad technically as DBS?
Get over it guys, technically DBS sucks and by trying to nitpick bad scenes from Z makes you as pedantic as the people who come here just to say that DBS is bad.

bro you missed the point smh

ElFly

The Manga has contradicted the anime and mischaracterized Goku

It has some cool things but it is clearly lesser

Yeah. DBZ looked better more consistently. Super has problems with static scenes quite often.

Super's stills aren't typically all that bad, especially face shots. Super's main art problems come from action scenes(though not as often in this arc) and on characters farther away from the camera. The average quality of the show is actually at a pretty solid place right now, but it still dips into not so great territory, but not all that often. I mean even 53 which people bitched about because of the fight still had fine art for like 95% of the episode.
DBZ was more consistent within individual episodes, but the art styles of the supervisors were wildly different, so we'd get one episode that looked consistently good followed immediately by one episode that looked consistently wrong. Super has done a surprisingly good job of staying on model most of the time, especially considering the time constraints, and we haven't had a single episode so far this arc that looked bad from start to finish, just episodes that have bad looking parts.

.shin

Banned
Super has done a surprisingly good job of staying on model most of the time, especially considering the time constraints, and we haven't had a single episode so far this arc that looked bad from start to finish, just episodes that have bad looking parts.

image.php

anyway I'm a little upset that Fusions is looking to not be localized because that game looks REALLY fun. I also want to play as the Namekian with a gun lmao

NeonZ

It's in V-Jump, V-Jump is nothing but a magazine for advertising things.
It's a magazine where most manga published by it are tied to existing series or franchises, rather than being actual new series, but it publishes some original works too (like the Baseball manga Strike! Zone). And I don't see how "manga tied to existing series" automatically means "promotional material".

The Manga has contradicted the anime and mischaracterized Goku

It has some cool things but it is clearly lesser

Eh. I prefer Goku being annoyed by Gohan (and at least one of those lines came straight from Toriyama, considering how it was in the anime too. It's just Goku's expression that gives it a very different tone in manga and anime) over the hyperactive Goku from the Super anime.

Although at least since the Hit battle they've seemingly stopped writing Goku as dumb in the anime. It was really annoying how they tried to sell Vegeta as smarter in battle than Goku early in the anime version of the RoF and U6 arc (like how Vegeta had to tell Goku to use his head for him to beat Botamo, or complain about him not paying attention against Freeza before he noticed the energy drain issue).

olympia

this break is tearing us apart

It's just an arcade game, people gush about it like it's actual content, but they just watch little commercials for it.

i thought that toriyama did the dbo characters and story which is what the story in heroes is based on, and that's part of the reason why they're cool. I'm sure I'm incorrect here in some way

I'm gonna watch the GT movie and chat about it tomorrow if anyone wants something to do during the break. same time as db super so probably 5pm pst

this break is tearing us apart

i thought that toriyama did the dbo characters and story which is what the story in heroes is based on, and that's part of the reason why they're cool. I'm sure I'm incorrect here in some way

I'm gonna watch the GT movie and chat about it tomorrow if anyone wants something to do during the break. same time as db super so probably 5pm pst

Forget that, imma watch the Bojack movie. Tein fights in it, what the hell have I gotten on it yet? Time to right some wrongs

NeonZ

He had some involvement with DBO, but it's not known what specifically came from him aside from a few details.

-Towa and Mira (his involvement with their designs is unknown though, it hasn't been confirmed whether he made some basic original design for them or just their character concept/story)

-The DBO variations of the Namekians, including their designs (like the facial markings and different head crest replacing the antennas)

We also only got confirmation that Toriyama created Towa and Mira this year, so there easily might be more DBO stuff that was created by him, but we don't have actual confirmation at this point just vague statements about him contributing to the game.

olympia

cool, thanks for the info.

Forget that, imma watch the Bojack movie. Tein fights in it, what the hell have I gotten on it yet? Time to right some wrongs

i'm game for bojack. I just wanted to watch GT because I've never seen it before and now that I finished GT i feel incomplete without watching it. bojack is cool though. Isn't that the movie with the Goku dick punch

people with blinders on up in here.

GT movie is boring as fuck. Enjoy it buddy.

don't call me your buddy

i'm game for bojack. I just wanted to watch GT because I've never seen it before and now that I finished GT i feel incomplete without watching it. bojack is cool though. Isn't that the movie with the Goku dick punch

This is insane, they're giving cameos to one off dragonball characters! But I feel ripped off, they skipped sky dragon's fight with the sumo.

Skeeter49

I thought the GT movie was fine, as someone who has been a little negative on GT. And that ending :( Bojack and the GT movie are 2 I want to rewatch. Remember Bojack being pretty good.

About to start Xenoverse. Hope it's fun.

Ishida

Banned
My ONLY issue with the GT movie is exactly the same one I had with the Buu saga...

The freaking kids achieving Super Saiyan like it's fucking nothing. I despise that. Even Gohan had to train like hell and be REALLY pissed at his own incompetence to reach that level. And here comes Trunks, Goten and then Goku Jr just... Meh.... If anything, Goku Jr is even WORSE. He hadn't trained a single day in his entire life, and just by being angry he goes SSJ? Bullshit.

Slaythe

Super's stills aren't typically all that bad, especially face shots. Super's main art problems come from action scenes(though not as often in this arc) and on characters farther away from the camera. The average quality of the show is actually at a pretty solid place right now, but it still dips into not so great territory, but not all that often. I mean even 53 which people bitched about because of the fight still had fine art for like 95% of the episode.
DBZ was more consistent within individual episodes, but the art styles of the supervisors were wildly different, so we'd get one episode that looked consistently good followed immediately by one episode that looked consistently wrong. Super has done a surprisingly good job of staying on model most of the time, especially considering the time constraints, and we haven't had a single episode so far this arc that looked bad from start to finish, just episodes that have bad looking parts.

Goku and Vegeta's faces are very frequently butchered.

And it's not the artsyle, it's the artist having no clue.

Bulma Whis and Beerus are fine most the time.

Trunks is 50 50 at this point.

I agree with most of what you said.

But the "on model" part is a straight out lie. And yes if you want I'll gladly show you the dozens of examples PER episode that I have.

Skeeter49

Putting a spoiler tag because it somewhat talks about the GT movie, mostly about Buu arc stuff.
Hate how we get SSJ Goku Jr. but no SSJ Pan. I hate all the SSJ in Buu/ GT, I'd argue Trunks came the closest to deserving it, since he somewhat trained, I honestly think there was no point in Goten and Trunks getting SSJ before the Buu stuff, honestly Vegeta getting his shit kicked in when fighting Buu would have been a good Trunks going SSJ moment, and Gohan "dying" could have been Goten's, the only time SSJ was useful to them prior to that was during the tournament, when it blew their cover and 18 realized it was them.

NeonZ

What kinda blows my mind is that the GT movie was released during the Super 17 Saga. Did they already know that the series was going to end?

There's a one month break at that point, with only the special airing during that month. So, they probably knew something was going on behind the scenes. I don't think they knew the exact concept for the ending existed at the time the special was made though.

The last battle referenced in the special's initial narration is the one against Baby, and afterwards it talks about peace returning, before jumping to 100 years later, with no hints about the Super 17 or evil dragons arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom