• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT5| Zenophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocknRola

I want a Great Saiyaman vs Mr Satan movie that is actually a giant parody of Batman v Superman.

*Great Saiyaman is about to kill Mr Satan with a spear made from the 4 Star Dragonball*

SATAN - V-Videl

SAIYAMAN - That name! WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!

Coolers Revenge is good. I personally like Cooler more than Frieza.

Well, he was indeed Cooler than Frieza! :D

I'll see myself out now lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So I found this ScreenRant article ranking all of the DBZ movies. Curious what you guys think.

Bio Broly not being dead last feels wrong.

xqwfGV4.jpg

oh god make it stop

Sec0nd

Watched Bojack just now since I totally forgot to see that one. Non existing story lol. But such beautiful art and animation. It's totally unfair to compare a movie to a series that runs an episode each week for months or even years on end, but I wish Super would have this type of quality art and animation. I'd totally prefer a season approach, 10-20 episodes each year, if that would mean this type of quality in its animation.

Snake Way has never looked that good before.

All of the pre-BOG movies are remixes of manga arcs with even shallower villains and bad pacing.

That's not to say that some aren't enjoyable, but the post-SSJ ones can be really rough.

Sephzilla

xqwfGV4.jpg

oh god make it stop

I know. Like, they complain that Metal Cooler doesn't work in the canon but don't mention that Coolers Revenge literally can't work in the canon either because Goku in that movie can't control going Super Saiyan, yet when Goku returns to Earth he can.

I don't think there's a single DBZ movie that works in terms of canon.

Slaythe

Wait what? What's wrong about Future Zamasu holding his own against Blue Goku? Or Vegeta surpassing Black by training in the chamber?

The only shenanigans Trunks did were in that team battle with Goku and that can be because of a rage boost as others have said. Vegeta got one, I see no reason he can't get one too.

1) Zamasu can hold his own for the sake of spectacle only, he is completely trashed afterwards.

2) if Zamasu is stronger than Trunks and can even annoy Blue Goku, he could have just made Black stronger directly

3) Vegeta spent 3 fucking years in the time chamber and said he was at his limit. Nobody could expect that dumb retcon. Just like nobody could expect Trunks to match them.

Sorry if I don't buy into the rage boost that easily, it's lazy writing and it feels like an excuse to provide entertainment more than it justifies the inconsistencies.

NeonZ

Did he ?

I thought he was setting up his time machine to lure Cell out.

He had no use for it.

The Trunks that Cell killed was an entirely different Trunks.

In the Bojack movie itself it's mentioned that he had returned to tell them about how he had beaten the Androids. And the recharging of the time machine for another trip back did happen in canon.

The Bojack movie also addresses Vegeta getting over his end of Cell Saga depression (he promises he'll never fight anymore, but is just fine four chapters later in the Buu Saga), even if briefly.

Skeeter49

I like Bojack because of the Gohan focus, it arguably could fit in the canon even if it doesn't, and that tournament setup at the beginning is fun for how brief it is.

Watched the TFS Broly abridged finally. I liked the "Gohan I need you to let go" part.

Not sure if I like Fusion Reborn or Bojack more, but I've still yet to watch Wrath of the Dragon :(

Sephzilla

It's been ages since I've watched Wrath of the Dragon, to the point where I literally remember almost nothing from it. I remember it looking gorgeous though

NandoGip

My list:

20. Bio-Broly: Mudman. Need I say more?

19. Lord Slug: Only redeeming feature was false super saiyan. Uncool villain.

18. Broly Second Coming: Gohan and Piccolo scene was great, but then ruined by unexplained Krillin. This movie was unnecessary.

17. Super Android 13: Android designs are so random, plus IMO their fusion looked dumb. Opening scene only redeeming feature.

16. Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!!: I was desperate for some new DB at the time, so I appreciate that this exists, but it's closer to a filler movie than anything.

15. Episode of Bardock: Bardock returning is kind of cool, but it felt kind of uninspired story-wise.

14. Coolers Revenge: Awesome villain, decent goons, lacking story though. Goku killing him was sweet.

13. Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans: I love the Tuffles being a thing, and the ghost warriors was kind of cool, also F. Trunks is in it. Ultimately the concept was paper thin besides the main villain.

12. Worlds Strongest: I feel like the early movies had more tension since they couldn't blow up planets at the drop of a dime. Also the villain looked DB-ish, and I have a soft spot for the DB-DBZ transitional period.

11. Broly Legendary Super Saiyan: Everything except roid rage Broly is pretty cool. Broly's normal design, Vegeta possibly becoming a prince again, and the final fight itself gets a pass in my book. This movie would be remembered much more fondly if they didn't make sequels.

10. Resurrection of F: Movie was decent up until the time rewind and Goku stealing the kill. If the movie ended before that happen, it'd be way higher on the list

9. Dead Zone: Similar to Worlds Strongest, this movie was great that it showed how strong Goku has become from his DB days. The fighting was on a smaller scale, and the bad guys didn't need to be universe destroyers to be a threat.

8. Bojack Unbound: Teen Gohan 'Nuff Said

7. Return of Cooler: Vegeta stole this movie, and the final scene where they worked together I think was the first time that in the "timeline" for it to have happened.

6. Tree of MIght: Turles is the original Goku Black, and he had the best saiyan armor in all of DB IMO. The Tree of might setting was very unique, and the action was right at that sweet spot where DB became DBZ.

5. Fusion Reborn: Janemba's design, Gogeta, and the jelly bean setting.

4. Bardock The Father of Goku: Bardock is a great character, and his story is canon. It really adds to Goku's story and makes the end of the Frieza saga much more satisfying. Also, the more footage of the original Saiyans, the better.

3. Battle of Gods: Introduction of Beerus, Whis, Super Saiyan God, and ultimately the fucking return of DB in general.

2. Wrath of the Dragon: Tapion is dope, and SSJ3 Goku using Dragon Fist is easily top 5 fight moments in all of DB.

1. History of Trunks: This is my #1 solely because the whole F. Trunks arc with the Cell Saga and the G. Black saga is so good. F. Trunks arc overall is probably the best in DB in my opinion, and Future Gohan was such a good iteration of Gohan (especially compared to Gohan in Super)

Sephzilla

12. Worlds Strongest: I feel like the early movies had more tension since they couldn't blow up planets at the drop of a dime. Also the villain looked DB-ish, and I have a soft spot for the DB-DBZ transitional period.

I'm with you on this. I honestly think I like most of the pre-SSJ movies more than the post-SSJ movies, with a few exceptions. The stakes feel smaller but more contained and perhaps a bit more personal.

Slaythe

In the Bojack movie itself it's mentioned that he had returned to tell them about how he had beaten the Androids. And the recharging of the time machine for another trip back did happen in canon.

The Bojack movie also addresses Vegeta getting over his end of Cell Saga depression (he promises he'll never fight anymore, but is just fine four chapters later in the Buu Saga), even if briefly.

But that movie * worked * in the canon. It wasn't canon.

I saw the Bojack movie long after the final Trunks episode, and to me it was a set up.

And Super confirmed that.

So Trunks didn't go back to the past.

brinstar

I'm with you on this. I honestly think I like most of the pre-SSJ movies more than the post-SSJ movies, with a few exceptions. The stakes feel smaller but more contained and perhaps a bit more personal.

One of the things I love about movies 1 and 2 is that they have such a strong sense of place. Garlic Jr's castle and Wheelo's lab were great locations and I loved seeing the characters have to actually navigate through a place. In the later movies it feels like the characters are always just fighting in an open field somewhere.

NandoGip

The first few movies actually had a storyline. Most of the movies up until the last few were really lacking in plot. Lets be honest, most watchers were just in it for the crazy fights.

I hated Wrath of The Dragon because Vegeta got destroyed right after an incredibly badass entrance, Gohan didn't do crap after the first part of the movie, and Goku straight up stole Kid Trunk's kill even after the lil dude was the only one to harm the monster and was about to chop it's ass up.

You can easily bullshit a few movies into the canon.

Movie 1 - Pre Raditz
Movie 2 - Can't happen
Movie 3 - Can't happen
Movie 4 - Pre Androids
Movie 5 - Pre Androids
Movie 6 - Debatable - Pre Androids
Movie 7 - Debatable - Before Cell Games
Movie 8 - Pre Cell Games
Movie 9 - Post Cell
Movie 10 - Before the World Tournament
Movie 11 - Before the World Tournament
Movie 12 - Can't happen
Movie 13 - Pre timeskip

So only movies 2. 3 & 12 are impossible to bullshit into the canon due to Goku or his friends being dead or on Namek. If Piccolo didn't die than I would say that it would have been possible for movie 2 to happen.

Slaythe

You can easily bullshit a few movies into the canon.

Movie 1 - Pre Raditz
Movie 2 - Can't happen
Movie 3 - Can't happen
Movie 4 - Pre Androids
Movie 5 - Pre Androids
Movie 6 - Debatable - Pre Androids
Movie 7 - Debatable - Before Cell Games
Movie 8 - Pre Cell Games
Movie 9 - Post Cell
Movie 10 - Before the World Tournament
Movie 11 - Before the World Tournament
Movie 12 - Can't happen
Movie 13 - Pre timeskip

So only movies 2. 3 & 12 are impossible to bullshit into the canon due to Goku or his friends being dead or on Namek. If Piccolo didn't die than I would say that it would have been possible for movie 2 to happen.

Krilin met Gohan the day Goku got killed. Movie 1 can't happen.

NeonZ

But that movie * worked * in the canon. It wasn't canon.

I saw the Bojack movie long after the final Trunks episode, and to me it was a set up.

And Super confirmed that.

So Trunks didn't go back to the past.

There's a narration box that says that Trunks had finally gathered enough energy to go back to the past and tell everyone about how he had defeated the Androids.

Yes, apparently in Super Toei and Toriyama overlooked that scene and forgot Trunks should have visited the past once more, but if you look at the original material there was nothing indicating that it was just a trick.

Slaythe

There's a narration box that says that Trunks had finally gathered enough energy to go back to the past and tell everyone about how he had defeated the Androids.

Yes, apparently in Super Toei and Toriyama overlooked that scene and forgot Trunks should have visited the past once more, but if you look at the original material there was nothing indicating that it was just a trick.

Yes but at first Trunks acts normally, because Cell doesn't know about the time machine, it always felt like a set up because when Trunks kills Cell, he then says "it's all over now..." and thanks Goku and the others. Which is a weird thing to do if he intended to go see them right away.

And since Trunks was never ever brought up or mentioned afterwards, it comforted me into thinking that.

Cell is a master of stealth and can't be underestimated. Nobody knew about Trunks' time machine so for Cell to know about it, that meant he or his robot spies did spy on Trunks.

Our Trunks just lured him out so that he wouldn't suspect anything.

So Super had the same assumption.

bd74a1b031490be66585a52fd9ff8a72.png

olympia

This has nothing to do with your guys' discussion but I really enjoy those panels of Trunks, I kinda wish he looked like that in Super.

Ashodin

GIVE US MORE ANDROID 17

GIVE US MORE GOHAN

GIVE US THE UNIVERSE TOURNAMENT

I'm ready dudes. This arc is gonna be the best in Super, hands down.

Sorry for the slightly off topic question:

Just started watching the original Dragon Ball and was thoroughly enjoying the first few episodes on Hulu, but then after episode 6 they stopped offering the dubbed version. I went and checked to see if I could do a trial of funimation's streaming service app and watch it there. Same deal. The dub only goes up to episode 6, at least on the app.

What's the deal? What other legal options do I have for watching the dub of Dragonball? Should I look into the DVDs?

Slaythe

So DBSuper is having killer ratings in Italia.

Millions of viewers, doing really good.

The french version is pretty much still born at this point.

It landed on a tv channel that nobody had heard of before getting DBS, and they are cutting out entire scenes because of their nonsensical censorship (stuff like punches, yes punches are being edited out... You might think getting fucking DRAGON BALL and removing punches might be the stupidest thing that's ever been made but hey, good for you shitty channel).

On top of that, they are also speeding up the footage to match their "planned" run time, which alters the voice performances (higher).

This is a disaster. Their only answer was "we target young children so we can't let everything in", why did you get dragon ball then ?!

The voice actors were doing a decent job, so it's a shame because it's been entirely butchered.

It's getting a lot of bad buzz now.

France is now the only country that doesn't have access to simulcast, any kind of streaming, AND a decent unaltered version of the show.

So they're gonna tell us that french fans don't exist because we refuse to buy their overpriced blurays lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom