• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT5| Zenophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

It landed on a tv channel that nobody had heard of before getting DBS, and they are cutting out entire scenes because of their nonsensical censorship (stuff like punches, yes punches are being edited out... You might think getting fucking DRAGON BALL and removing punches might be the stupidest thing that's ever been made but hey, good for you shitty channel).

And here I thought 4Kids buying One Piece was a bad decision. Why the hell would you get Dragon Ball if you're going to censor fighting?

Slaythe

Isn't Dragon Ball huge in France?

It's a religion.

There isn't a single person that doesn't know Dragon Ball in France.

But that's the thing, years of mismanagement like this have pushed fans to just watch illegal subs online.

So "officially", Dragon Ball doesn't sell on TV anymore. It sells a lot of merch and mangas. Because duh they can't fuck that up.

So they know that fans still care, but people directing TV channels are morons and just look at their numbers before asking "what have we done wrong ?" :/ .

Like why is there no legal streaming offer for day one episodes ? Or even for "sagas" ? Anything ? They are stuck 20 years into the past. And then they complain it doesn't work, while the reality is France is behind EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

This has nothing to do with your guys' discussion but I really enjoy those panels of Trunks, I kinda wish he looked like that in Super.
I'd be down, mainly because I hate how he looks YOUNGER in Super. And that would make his design more distinct from the other Saiyans.

Speaking of the complaints about characters looking younger, I actually think Vegeta and Goku can come off as looking older in some of the styles they get drawn in for Super.

Slaythe

https://twitter.com/supalinocelosu/status/821600707711275008

THIS IS EPISODE 1 AND A CARTOONY SNAKE, what the hell is gonna happen later on ?

They even censored the Z flashback against majin Buu (and edited it poorly by having Goku throw the genkidama before people give their energy...................)

And today they cut an entire minute about Roshi looking at girls in episode 3.

But I found this cutie to make me feel better.

C2VA6qoUcAArZuB.jpg

Fj0823

So DBSuper is having killer ratings in Italia.

Millions of viewers, doing really good.

The french version is pretty much still born at this point.

It landed on a tv channel that nobody had heard of before getting DBS, and they are cutting out entire scenes because of their nonsensical censorship (stuff like punches, yes punches are being edited out... You might think getting fucking DRAGON BALL and removing punches might be the stupidest thing that's ever been made but hey, good for you shitty channel).

On top of that, they are also speeding up the footage to match their "planned" run time, which alters the voice performances (higher).

This is a disaster. Their only answer was "we target young children so we can't let everything in", why did you get dragon ball then ?!

The voice actors were doing a decent job, so it's a shame because it's been entirely butchered.

It's getting a lot of bad buzz now.

France is now the only country that doesn't have access to simulcast, any kind of streaming, AND a decent unaltered version of the show.

So they're gonna tell us that french fans don't exist because we refuse to buy their overpriced blurays lol.

Good for Italy

Holy Shit France.

Also, didn't know you were French, Slaythe.

Slaythe

Italy is the MVP.

They aired all the FnF episodes in one day in a marathon, and averaged 1.3 million viewers throughout.

This is smart on so many level because it made the bad parts of FnF less easy to notice.

And now they can just start the original content.

The US should get a clue, because when they're gonna have their weekly episode during FnF, expect death in the ratings.

NandoGip

There was a 4?

They want to make 4

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154571623362936&id=48067262935

Italy is the MVP.

They aired all the FnF episodes in one day in a marathon, and averaged 1.3 million viewers throughout.

This is smart on so many level because it made the bad parts of FnF less easy to notice.

And now they can just start the original content.

The US should get a clue, because when they're gonna have their weekly episode during FnF, expect death in the ratings.

Damn dude Italy is so smart. I heard they have a massive DB market. Sucks about France though. At least you have subs and the English dub.

I think the ratings for super in the US will be kind of middling until the universe tournament. Most kids thanks to XV and Fusions are familiar with the new content I think. Anyone who's gonna watch from the start will probably only jump on a few months in anyways.

Low ratings is bad though of course, so only time will tell.

HardRojo

Why would you get the rights to DB if you're going to censor it that bad!? DBS is already toned down enough, know your freaking audience.

Anth0ny

On top of that, they are also speeding up the footage to match their "planned" run time, which alters the voice performances (higher).

This is a disaster. Their only answer was "we target young children so we can't let everything in", why did you get dragon ball then ?!

The voice actors were doing a decent job, so it's a shame because it's been entirely butchered.

France is now the only country that doesn't have access to simulcast, any kind of streaming, AND a decent unaltered version of the show.

So they're gonna tell us that french fans don't exist because we refuse to buy their overpriced blurays lol.

way to handle it well italy

way to handle it terribly france

HardRojo

I wonder when we'll get the LatAm dub, it shouldn't take long, the series has got a huge following over here. I think we even got RoF dubbed in theaters months ahead of the US.

Toad.T

Banned

I wonder what'll happen when they get to a scene that's too tricky to edit, yet implies severe violence. Will we have a voice clip of Tien going " Regardez, je vois leurs parachutes! Ils vont bien." (Joke about original English dub, if you didn't know)

Speaking of dubs, did the Bang Zoom dub air yet? Did anybody see it?

KHlover

Banned
And here I thought 4Kids buying One Piece was a bad decision. Why the hell would you get Dragon Ball if you're going to censor fighting?
In Germany we basically only got to see every second episode of DBGT after the Baby saga, they didn't cut the show - they BUTCHERED it.

Wikipedia said:
Dabei ließ RTL II bereits vor der deutschen Synchronisation die Folgen stark kürzen und ließen dabei Folgen 29, 38, 46, 47, 54 bis 57 und 59 bis 63 aus, womit nur 51 der 64 Episoden in der deutschen Synchronfassung existieren.

All those numbers you see? That's the episodes they cut out entirely. 54 bis 57 = 54 to 57 (59 to 63). So yeah they showed 51 of 64 episodes and those they showed were censored to hell and back. Awful.

HeroR

In Germany we basically only got to see every second episode of DBGT after the Baby saga, they didn't cut the show - they BUTCHERED it.

I think it's because Germany has extremely strict censored laws, correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard that is why a lot of movies and video games are giving high ratings or outright banned.

KHlover

Banned
I think it's because Germany has extremely strict censored laws, correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard that is why a lot of movies and video games are giving high ratings or outright banned.
Nah. While we do have relatively strict laws this hasn't got anything with those. DBZ went through without an issue. The channel probably want to make the show more kids friendly. DBZ always aired at 7:30pm or so, DBGT aired at 3 or 4 pm.

NandoGip

Nah. While we do have relatively strict laws this hasn't got anything with those. DBZ went through without an issue. The channel probably want to make the show more kids friendly. DBZ always aired at 7:30pm or so, DBGT aired at 3 or 4 pm.
Super is already crazy toned down with the violence and blood, so for more censorship it's crazy.

NandoGip

Dragon Ball Z’s Goku Is Now An Ambassador Of The 2020 Olympics

Whole article:

It’s been known for a number of years now that the 2020 Olympics are going to be held in Japan. And, with the Olympics being a good opportunity for the host country to show off its culture, Japan has decided to show off its entertainment culture by making Dragon Ball Z‘s Son Goku an ambassador.

Dragon Ball and its sequel series are known as one of the longest-running and best-known of the many, many mangas and anime shows that have come out of Japan. With its most recent series, Dragon Ball Super, having recently been dubbed into English after coming out in 2015, Goku is probably one of the best choices for ambassador of Japan that could be used for the Olympics, especially since he’s probably one of the most dedicated athletes in Japan’s manga scene (since he spends a large part of his life training in martial arts.)

Goku will be joining a variety of other 2020 Olympics ambassadors based on highly popular manga and anime in welcoming the international community to Japan, such as Naruto Uzumaki from the series Naruto, Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece, Sailor Moon from the eponymous series, and Astro Boy, one of the most time-honored Japanese animated characters.

The 2020 Olympics will be the first time that Japan has hosted an Olympic Games in over 60 years, with the last time the country hosted the Games being back in 1964. Originally the 1940 Olympics were supposed to be hosted in Tokyo. However, being on the eve of World War 2 and with Japan in the middle of invading China, the country had the honor taken away and given to Helsinki, before the Olympics were cancelled due to the war.

So, if you plan on watching the Olympics when they roll around three years from now, be on the lookout for some of your favorite anime characters in the meantime!

Nightbird

Looking back at it, it was pretty amusing. You get to see the build up to a fight, and in the next episode it already happend.

I had to rely on schoolyard rumors to know what happend lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom