• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Revival of “F” Spoiler Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

I'm talking about Toriyama going all Lucas and stuff. Dragon Ball Z, in any way you see it, was a complete bastardization of the original Dragon Ball concept, starting with making Goku and Piccolo aliens, then the whole Red Ribbon survivor creating androids stronger than the "strongest" being in the universe (Frieza).

I love all Dragon Ball, but people are stuck with some hardcore nostalgia if they think DBZ wasn't fanfiction quality.

Really, the Android threat should've been the way for the Humans to be relevant again. Tien, Krillin, and Yamcha having to deal with (weaker) Androids, while the Saiyans and Piccolo focused on Cell.

I hope that in the next movie Vegeta does himself a big favor and admits that he's not cut out for this fighting thing. He may have made fun of Yamcha and Gohan, but they had the good sense enough to realize they had peaked and going on with this sham would just look embarrassing. Ol Geets really needs that wakeup call and just go home to his family so he can put this embarrassing chapter of his life behind him. Maybe take up some old man hobbies like lawncare or overpriced European cruises.

scabro

10492610_844934242208419_4665728567713500992_n.jpg

best vegeta

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I hope that in the next movie Vegeta does himself a big favor and admits that he's not cut out for this fighting thing. He may have made fun of Yamcha and Gohan, but they had the good sense enough to realize they had peaked and going on with thos sham would just look embarrassing. Ol Geets really needs that wakeup call and just go home to his family so he can put this embarrassing chapter of his life behind him. Maybe take up some old man hobbies like lawncare or overpriced European cruises.
Or being a park ranger.

I'm disheartened about Vegeta's getting KS'd, but not gonna lie you guys, I'd rather have blue spiky SSJSSG hair than the default SSJG design.

At least it's more visually interesting than kinda taller with usual hair style colored red.

ElFly

Vegeta will train -or wish to the dragon- to be able to breathe in space, so he is ready for the next time someone pulls the whole destroy-planet-cause-I-am-losing move.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm really not sure what Vegeta fans were expecting. I mean, the dude is the biggest jobber in the history of jobbers. His only role in the entire series is to show just how fucking powerful Goku is.

But Gohan. Gohan is different. Right from the start, he was supposed to be *the* savior of the universe because of his massive mixed blood potential. He was relevant even in the Buu saga when he kicked the shit out of Super Buu. The way the Buu saga ended was dumb as shit. If Gohan was there, the fight would have been over in seconds and no spirit bomb and Vegeta-sacrificing-himself-AGAIN shenanigans would have been necessary.

They need to restore Gohan to his rightful place in the series, FFS.
Because Toriyama got scared. That's the conclusion I came to after reading his comments about changing his mind re: main character status. It's unfortunate too because Dragon Ball has a great cast of underutilized characters who now seemingly exist to give time enough for Goku to step in and win.

I'm talking about Toriyama going all Lucas and stuff. Dragon Ball Z, in any way you see it, was a complete bastardization of the original Dragon Ball concept, starting with making Goku and Piccolo aliens, then the whole Red Ribbon survivor creating androids stronger than the "strongest" being in the universe (Frieza).

I love all Dragon Ball, but people are stuck with some hardcore nostalgia if they think DBZ wasn't fanfiction quality.

I agree that it lost it's way when it became all about the fights and most of the character development and world building took a side-seat.

However, it just amuses me that people think the series would be better with another writer when it has already been done multiple times before.

NeonZ

Piccolo being an alien has some set up in the 23rd Budokai though, when he talks with Kamisama in an unknown language. What quickly gets retconned away in DBZ is the idea that Goku had awakened all of his hidden power and had the power of his giant monkey form in human form after drinking the real sacred water. The power levels don't make any sense if you remember that.

Anth0ny

I'm really not sure what Vegeta fans were expecting. I mean, the dude is the biggest jobber in the history of jobbers. His only role in the entire series is to show just how fucking powerful Goku is.

The thing is, they're bring back an old villain in Freeza. Even Vegeta gets to win sometimes.

Goku just killing Freeza again is boring as fuck. Vegeta deserves that satisfaction, I think.

NEO0MJ

Because Toriyama got scared. That's the conclusion I came to after reading his comments about changing his mind re: main character status. It's unfortunate too because Dragon Ball has a great cast of underutilized characters who now seemingly exist to give time enough for Goku to step in and win.

I've grown to hate Goku because of this.

Also, is there a reason he still has a childlike voice?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The thing is, they're bring back an old villain in Freeza. Even Vegeta gets to win sometimes.

Goku just killing Freeza again is boring as fuck. Vegeta deserves that satisfaction, I think.
It's boring because it's predictable.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
why is whis such a buster
should've let vegeta take this one

Astral Dog

That was pretty good. His shock was great.

Pretty sure Vegeta said in DBZ though that a pure Saiyan's hair never changes. But then again GT disregarded a lot of things...like Mystic Gohan

I think it was overall appareance?

Still he could just cut his hair and grow a moustache, King Vegeta did grow a beard.

Ishida

Banned
That was pretty good. His shock was great.

Pretty sure Vegeta said in DBZ though that a pure Saiyan's hair never changes. But then again GT disregarded a lot of things...like Mystic Gohan

If you are talking about the mustache, King Vegeta also had a beard. So they can grow facial hair.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
If they wanted to focus on Vegeta, they could have simply written Goku out of the story or have Goku relinquish his role as Earth's constant savior to anyone willing to step up. This way Goku still shines and is the strongest, Vegeta proves that he isn't a scrubby, pretentious coward and can exact his revenge on Freeza and Freeza gets a reasonable substitute to fighting Goku/Trunks. Boom.

It's boring because it's predictable.

Honestly, Vegeta killing Freeza would be predictable considering how many people were calling for it.

Not that Goku doing it wasn't, but I would have preferred something along the lines of them double teaming him and finishing him off with a combined attack.

Baleoce

So there's definitely no Frieza Rocky-esque training montage? That would've been brilliant. "The first time he ever had to prepare for a fight".

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Honestly, Vegeta killing Freeza would be predictable considering how many people were calling for it.

Not that Goku doing it wasn't, but I would have preferred something along the lines of them double teaming him and finishing him off with a combined attack.

That's so corny though. It should be a 1-on-1 fight. Dragon Ball was always better when it was a 1v1.

For this fight, it's just awful that Toriyama fucked Vegeta over so badly. The backstory of Vegeta and Freiza is awesome, so much history and Vegeta rightfully so hates him because of it. Vegeta was raised purging planets under the control of Freiza, whilst then Goku was having the time of his life on earth. Goku with no backstory in terms of Freiza gets to kill him, worst of all Vegetas own son gets to kill him. Freiza comes back, Vegeta is strong enough to kill him but Toriyama sets the story up where Vegeta gets sucker punched and Goku once again saves the day? Just awful, even if Toriyama had pulled the shit about going back 3 minutes, how great would it have been for Whis to let Vegeta get his chance? Really great.

It's a case where no matter what, Goku is the one to finish things. The only one I can think of where he was not the hero was with Cell, literally every other main villain is killed by him. I think that One Piece vs Dragonball thread makes a lot more sense more, about how one has an awesome varied cast whereas the other sure as fuck does not.

~10 Years After The End of DBZ~

VEGETA is pushing a lawnmower in the Capsule Corp gardens. It's rewarding work for an old man like him, and it's almost like training! His hair is graying around the temples and he has a big bristly mustache. He removes his battle ball team cap and wipes the sweat from his giant ass brow.

GOKU zaps in using the Instant Transmission. He looks just as fit and young as always.

Vegeta: Oh! Kakarot! It's been a few years since you and Uub finished training and you left to go on another adventure, hasn't it!

Goku: Sure has! Whis took me an' Uub to Universe 10! Turns out it's run by giant machine gods that eat stars!

Vegeta: Oh my! That sounds dangerous!

Goku: Well, Uub was s'posed to beat their leader, but he didn't quite cut it, so I jumped in and turned Super Saiyan God 2 an' saved the day! But hey, what have y'all been up to!

Vegeta: Oh! Me and Bulma went on a tour of historic chateaus! [he produces photographs from his pocket; Vegeta is wearing a hideous button up shirt, black socks, and sandals]

Vegeta: By the way, while you were gone, Goten went through school and passed the bar exam. Everyone missed you at graduation.

Goku: Eh? I thought he was gonna be one those lawyer guys, not serve drinks!

Vegeta: Ha, that's pretty funny Kakarot!

Goku: wait what's funny

Suddenly, a massive WORMHOLE opens up in the sky above West City and a giant spaceship emerges. It dwarfs the city in size.

Goku: Hey hey! Whis told me about these guys! It's the mystical space bandits from Universe 4! They're after the Dragon Balls!

Vegeta: Oh, goodness! Do you need any help?

Goku: Nah, that's okay Vegeta. I can handle these guys on my own.

Vegeta: That's a relief! Pushing this lawnmower has my lumbago acting up.

Everyone laughs as the scene zooms out. Fade to Super Saiyan God 3 Goku floating triumphant over the destroyed ship as an appreciative Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, and Tien sit in lawn chairs and raise their iced tea glasses to Goku in thanks.

This. The fights became way less interesting starting from Cell Saga, it's just who has the best power level and that's it. Fights from Sayen and Frieza Saga had really some cool ideas (especially against Vegeta)

Vegeta: By the way, while you were gone, Goten went through school and passed the bar exam. Everyone missed you at graduation.

This is totally Goku

J-Rod

Vegeta came out a lot better than I expected. In most movies, he usually makes a showy entrance just to get whipped hard in a matter of seconds. It sounds like he at least holds his own before getting nuked. Still the most relevant Z fighter not named Goku.

kewlmyc

~10 Years After The End of DBZ~

VEGETA is pushing a lawnmower in the Capsule Corp gardens. It's rewarding work for an old man like him, and it's almost like training! His hair is graying around the temples and he has a big bristly mustache. He removes his battle ball team cap and wipes the sweat from his giant ass brow.

GOKU zaps in using the Instant Transmission. He looks just as fit and young as always.

Vegeta: Oh! Kakarot! It's been a few years since you and Uub finished training and you left to go on another adventure, hasn't it!

Goku: Sure has! Whis took me an' Uub to Universe 10! Turns out it's run by giant machine gods that eat stars!

Vegeta: Oh my! That sounds dangerous!

Goku: Well, Uub was s'posed to beat their leader, but he didn't quite cut it, so I jumped in and turned Super Saiyan God 2 an' saved the day! But hey, what have y'all been up to!

Vegeta: Oh! Me and Bulma went on a tour of historic chateaus! [he produces photographs from his pocket; Vegeta is wearing a hideous button up shirt, black socks, and sandals]

Suddenly, a massive WORMHOLE opens up in the sky above West City and a giant spaceship emerges. It dwarfs the city in size.

Goku: Hey hey! Whis told me about these guys! It's the mystical space bandits from Universe 4! They're after the Dragon Balls!

Vegeta: Oh, goodness! Do you need any help?

Goku: Nah, that's okay Vegeta. I can handle these guys on my own.

Vegeta: That's a relief! Pushing this lawnmower has my lumbago acting up.

Everyone laughs as the scene zooms out. Fade to Super Saiyan God 3 Goku floating triumphant over the destroyed ship as an appreciative Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, and Tien sit in lawn chairs and raise their iced tea glasses to Goku in thanks.

I wouldn't mind this ending. Everyone goes on with their lives while Goku goes on getting into adventures and not being a father because fighting is all he knows how to do.

Weird how I never see anyone complain about Luffy beating the main baddy during every single arc in One Piece.
Maybe it's because all of crew members gets a chance to fight?

I think it was overall appareance?

Still he could just cut his hair and grow a moustache, King Vegeta did grow a beard.

It was hair specifically. Bulma makes a comment about Trunks' hair after he comes out of the time chamber and Vegeta says pure saiyan hair always stays the same.

If you are talking about the mustache, King Vegeta also had a beard. So they can grow facial hair.

I meant the hair.

A Saiyan's Hair never changes: http://youtu.be/UiwnoDnOyWU

That's so corny though. It should be a 1-on-1 fight. Dragon Ball was always better when it was a 1v1.
I disagree most of the 2 on 1 fights were always visually more interesting to me when it wasn't just about one fighter wailing on another until a random power boost saved their skin.

I also find the whole going back in time thing far more grating than Vegeta not getting the final kill.

Since if there's one thing Dragon Ball needed is adding yet another reset button to make the stakes even less.

Ishida

Banned
This. The fights became way less interesting starting from Cell Saga, it's just who has the best power level and that's it. Fights from Sayen and Frieza Saga had really some cool ideas (especially against Vegeta)

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the fights in DBZ. But the whole concept of it (Aliens, the whole Super Saiyan thing, planet-destroying androids, etc)... It would seem like a completely different person wrote the "Z" part of the Dragon Ball story.

In Dragon Ball, Goku travelled all over the world, training, becoming stronger, meeting a lot of new people, finding new lands and new ways of life, new martial arts fighters.

Dragon Ball Z was like if Toriyama suddenly stopped giving a fuck. Now Goku is no longer that mysterious tailed boy from the mountains, but now an alien of some superpowered race. Piccolo is no longer a demon (Toriyama himself stated that Piccolo was a "Goblin" in the original Dragon Ball), he is now another alien.

Human characters who worked their asses off to become stronger and traveled all over the world seeking for challenges in the original DB are now complete garbage. Remember when even Krillin was able to keep a good fight against Piccolo Jr.? Sure, Piccolo was not using his full power, but he was actually greatly surprised at Krillin's strength.

But nope. In DBZ all of that is replaced with constant and constant fights, and waiting for the next opponent to appear. Training was replaced to just throwing punches inside an artificial gravity chamber or the Room of Time (I don't know how it translated to in english...). Saiyans were pretty much the only relevent characters and even Piccolo was thrown aside (He was given a spotlight in the Android saga, but just for a very short while).

The only part where DBZ seem to go back to its roots was during Goku and Gohan's rest before the Cell Games, where Gohan finds Tao Pai Pai again and meets new characters like Lime.

It was hair specifically. Bulma makes a comment about Trunks' hair after he comes out of the time chamber and Vegeta says pure saiyan hair always stays the same.

I meant the hair.

A Saiyan's Hair never changes: http://youtu.be/UiwnoDnOyWU

It is heavily implied that a Saiyan's hair can be cut and it will re-grow in the same exact shape it was before. Goku has had his hair cut, and it grew back. Vegeta in GT just did the same, he had the tip of his hair cut, and it grey back into a spiky form eventually.

NeonZ

It's a case where no matter what, Goku is the one to finish things. The only one I can think of where he was not the hero was with Cell, literally every other main villain is killed by him. I think that One Piece vs Dragonball thread makes a lot more sense more, about how one has an awesome varied cast whereas the other sure as fuck does not.

Doesn't this movie allow the other characters to beat a bunch of other opponents though? That's basically the One Piece format. Main hero takes care of main villain, but the others get their own battles.

You're talking about the power level stuff starting in Cell?

Are you kidding? That was the point of the Namek Saga and especially Vegeta

Pui and Dodoria looks at scouter uh oh.

Zarbon after Vegeta come backs looks at scouter, uh oh.

Jeice looks at Scouter, uh oh.

Vegeta powers up villain looks at scouter gets scared.

I mean Freeza kept talking how his second form was one million and how many times he increased in power. Which becomes ridiculous as you calculate it.

All of fights are just stalling for time until Goku shows up.

The Cell Saga at least had Vegeta and Piccolo get straight victories and multiple fights. Piccolo actually got the rare even fight that didn't involve Goku. Goku fights 19 for a bit and then Cell. It's the one Saga Goku fights the least.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the fights in DBZ. But the whole concept of it (Aliens, the whole Super Saiyan thing, planet-destroying androids, etc)... It would seem like a completely different person wrote the "Z" part of the Dragon Ball story.

In Dragon Ball, Goku travelled all over the world, training, becoming stronger, meeting a lot of new people, finding new lands and new ways of life, new martial arts fighters.

Dragon Ball Z was like if Toriyama suddenly stopped giving a fuck. Now Goku is no longer that mysterious tailed boy from the mountains, but now an alien of some superpowered race. Piccolo is no longer a demon (Toriyama himself stated that Piccolo was a "Goblin" in the original Dragon Ball), he is now another alien.

Human characters who worked their asses off to become stronger and traveled all over the world seeking for challenges in the original DB are now complete garbage. Remember when even Krillin was able to keep a good fight against Piccolo Jr.? Sure, Piccolo was not using his full power, but he was actually greatly surprised at Krillin's strength.

But nope. In DBZ all of that is replaced with constant and constant fights, and waiting for the next opponent to appear. Training was replaced to just throwing punches inside an artificial gravity chamber or the Room of Time (I don't know how it translated to in english...). Saiyans were pretty much the only relevent characters and even Piccolo was thrown aside (He was given a spotlight in the Android saga, but just for a very short while).

The only part where DBZ seem to go back to its roots was during Goku and Gohan's rest before the Cell Games, where Gohan finds Tao Pai Pai again and meets new characters like Lime.
Damn it. I love DBZ but there is no denying DB was the better series.

PK Gaming

So let me get this straight:

Frieza trains for 4 months and achieves a power that puts him at a comparable/higher level than the Super Saiyan Gods. This is the same Frieza who blew up the Saiyan planet because he was afraid they'd surpass him one day.

What if he trained for 8 months? Or a year? Could he become stronger than Superman?

Sami+

So let me get this straight:

Frieza trains for 4 months and achieves a power that puts him at a comparable/higher level than the Super Saiyan Gods. This is the same Frieza who blew up the Saiyan planet because he was afraid they'd surpass him one day.

What if he trained for 8 months? Or a year? Could he become stronger than Superman?

I'm just curious what the hell kind of training it was lol

"I WANNA BEAT A SUPER SAIYAN! I WANNA I WANNA I WANNA!!"

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wow, this sounds dumb beyond belief.

I maintain that Cell vs Gohan Kamehameha was the best final battle. Everyone got to play a part.

Only in the anime - in the canon material the only person to step in and distract Cell was Vegeta.

Anime just makes Piccolo, Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien fail to make a difference despite their efforts

man forget vegeta, time to make our boy Gohan relevant again! i say for the next movie its all about our boy Gohan kicking ass and finishing the main baddie

only in my dreams :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom