• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi |OT| Witness a power not seen for a thousand years.

cBDtz.png

s0Ive.png

Publisher:
Namco Bandai Games (Bandai Label)

Developer:

Spike

Platform(s):
PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360

Release Date:
October 25, 2011 (North America)
October 28, 2011 (Europe)
December 8, 2011 (Japan) as Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast

YyvFU.png

1yY8Z.png

pPrbp.png

Follow the adventures of Goku and friends in this all new story mode. Featuring an overworld map, and 30 minutes of brand new 2D animation,
this mode promises to bring you to the best battles in the Dragon World from the first confrontation with Raditz, to the annihilation of Majin Boo.

Complete Character Creation & Customization – Appearance and attributes can be customized such as model body, face, hair, attire, fighting style and more!
Additionally fighting style and special moves can be selected.

Enhanced Battle Mechanics – “Impact Break” system allows large scale environment destruction. Improved mechanics allow for faster long-to-short range fights.
There is also an added health recovery system and a vast collection of more cinematic camera angles.

Deeper Brand Representation – Fight presentations more closely mirror the animation series. Battle against a new group of giant bosses as in the animation series.
Experience 15 animated scenes with bosses up to 15x the size of playable characters! Also enjoy bonus level from movie and Dragon Ball GT series!

Playable Character List
  • Goku (Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3)
  • Kid Gohan
  • Teen Gohan (Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2)
  • Ultimate Gohan
  • Piccolo
  • Vegeta (Base, Super Saiyan, Ascended Super Saiyan)
  • Krillin
  • Yamcha
  • Tien Shinhan
  • Future Trunks (Base, Super Saiyan)
  • Gotenks (Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3)
  • Super Vegito
  • Super Gogeta
  • Gogeta (Super Saiyan 4)
  • Bardock
  • Raditz
  • Saibamen
  • Nappa
  • Vegeta (Scouter)
  • Zarbon (Base, Transformed)
  • Dodoria
  • Cui
  • Captain Ginyu (Base, Goku's body)
  • Recoome
  • Burter
  • Jeice
  • Frieza (1st Form, 2nd Form, 3rd Form, Final Form, 100% Power)
  • Android 16
  • Android 17
  • Android 18
  • Android 19
  • Dr. Gero
  • Cell (Imperfect Form, Semi-Perfect Form, Perfect Form, Super Perfect Form)
  • Cell Jr.
  • Majin Vegeta
  • Majin Buu
  • Super Buu (Base, Gohan absorbed)
  • Kid Buu
  • Broly (Legendary Super Saiyan)
  • Super Janemba
  • Omega Shenron

Unplayable/Boss Character List
  • Great Ape Vegeta
  • Great Ape
  • Metal Cooler (nucleus)
  • Janemba (First Form)
  • Hirudegarn (Final Form)
  • Golden Great Ape Baby Vegeta

Stages
  • Break Wasteland
  • Rocky Area
  • Planet Namek
  • Ruined Planet Namek
  • Ruined City
  • Islands
  • Glacier
  • Cell Games Arena
  • Hell
  • Supreme Kai's World
  • Cave
  • World Martial Arts Tournament
  • Temple
  • Big Gete Star core
  • Dark Planet

Zezzd.png

Story Mode

Become immersed in the Dragon Ball universe, and included bonus levels from the Dragon Ball Z movies and from the Dragon Ball GT series. It includes a free-roam type of gameplay similar to the Story Mode of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2. Fifteen animated scenes with bosses are included. Great Apes and other giant characters, such as Janemba (First Form) and Hirudegarn, up to 15x the size of playable characters are featured in boss fights and/or cinematics. The story mode also features scenes from the anime.

Hero Mode

Live out your own Dragon Ball Saga! Utilize a powerful character creator which includes customizable body, face, hair, attire, and fighting style and then embark on your own journey. The created characters can roam the world, battle various enemies from the series and share their characters online, includes unique story missions based on events from the anime.

Other

The game also includes the regular compilation of modes such as Training, Online and offline VS and Tournament Mode

VwewN.png

Screenshots.
MorEP.png

zcNJN.png

RjjVY.png

zlCHe.png

60JmQ.png

Trailers

Story Mode Trailer

Hero Mode Trailer

cloiv.png

Snaku

Banned
I'll just be over there in the corner, wishing this were Burst Limit 2 or Budokai 4. If anybody needs me.

Snaku said:
I'll just be over there in the corner, wishing this were Burst Limit 2 or Budokai 4. If anybody needs me.

Dont get me wrong Budokai 4 or Bl2 would be great but i feel they added enough to this to warrant a purchase, create a character, hero mode , story mode ect

Takao

Banned
You didn't use my thread title (and I contributed almost nothing) !

Snaku said:

Next year is either a port of Zenkai Battle Royale, or something new. Supposedly Spike's contract with Scamco ends with this game, and Shueshia has some rule that Scamco has to pump out DB console games every year.

Takao said:
You didn't use my thread title (and I contributed almost nothing) !

Next year is either a port of Zenkai Battle Royale, or something new. Supposedly Spike's contract with Scamco ends with this game, and Shueshia has some rule that Scamco has to pump out DB console games every year.

Thread title was too long sorry, you helped regardless most of the info iv gathered came from you at some point in the various threads.

Flame Lord said:
Sooo... No demo this time around?

Rumour has it the devs ran out of time and instead pumped out various gameplay trailers instead .

Seik

Banned
I'm a hyped for this one, I didn't bought Raging Blast 2 because it lacked content, it was just a minor upgrade from the first one and the only interesting thing (for me) was the extra movie that was coming with it.

This one is totally different, and I've been waiting so much for a next gen DB game that could have epic boss battle a la Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2.

Only ten days!

Takao

Banned
TEJ said:
So, you can only create males?

Yes. Personally, I don't think the character creator is all that deep, but hey at least Spike's trying. Too bad it's likely too little, too late.

Big One

Banned
The roster is abysmally crap. The gameplay doesn't look that good either. I really wish they'd put the visual and aesthetic production values into a DBZ game that is more complete than this.

Stuart444

This is sort of a last chance for DBZ console games for me. If this one turns out crap or fails to impress me compared to the PS2 era DBZ games then I most likely won't buy another one until I see proof that they have gotten better.

In any case, the story mode at least looks better than any of them this generation.

Takao

Banned
Big One said:
The roster is abysmally crap. The gameplay doesn't look that good either. I really wish they'd put the visual and aesthetic production values into a DBZ game that is more complete than this.

By this metric Super DBZ must be a really bad game.

Takao said:

well it remains to be seen how different these characters play. in past tenkaichi games, every character was basically the same so it made sense to have like 500 characters. if they're all the same again in this one AND they are only about the size of a regular budokai game... :\

Big One

Banned
Takao said:
Never said or implied that. Super DBZ really does have a poor roster, but it's still a good game. I don't think this game will hold up as well.

Also Super DBZ has other cool aspects like being based off the manga and having King Piccolo and Chichi in a fucking fighting DBZ game, which was a first of it's time.

Takao

Banned
Big One said:
Never said or implied that. Super DBZ really does have a poor roster, but it's still a good game. I don't think this game will hold up as well.

Also Super DBZ has other cool aspects like being based off the manga and having King Piccolo and Chichi in a fucking fighting DBZ game, which was a first of it's time.

It's amazing how wishy washy Spike has been about UT. Originally they came out and were like "MANGA ACCURATE DESIGNS AND COLOR SCHEMES" (Where's my blue Shenron?) and then that quickly became "ANIME ACCURATE DESIGNS", lol.

Big One

Banned
Takao said:
It's amazing how wishy washy Spike has been about UT. Originally they came out and were like "MANGA ACCURATE DESIGNS AND COLOR SCHEMES" (Where's my blue Shenron?) and then that quickly became "ANIME ACCURATE DESIGNS", lol.
They're apparently supposed to emulate the Kanzenban covers.

But the proportions are based off the anime so it looks really bleh.

Takao

Banned
Big One said:
They're apparently supposed to emulate the Kanzenban covers.

But the proportions are based off the anime so it looks really bleh.

Well, the cover is a Kanzenban homage:

R0alT.jpg

As well, I guess I should copy my comment about the music in this game from the last thread:

I think we now know why there won't be a new Kageyama theme song this year. It's all thanks to Kenji Yamamoto. Some of you might know of the shit that went down earlier this year with Yamamoto where his plagiarism reached new highs (lows?) and he was finally caught. This lead to the replacement of every piece of music he composed in Dragon Ball Kai with keys from the Kikuchi score of Z.

What many didn't know is that reprinted copies of last year's Dragon Ball Z game, Raging Blast 2 has also replaced every single piece of music. This is the original opening of Raging Blast 2 - Battle of Omega, as performed by Kageyama. In the reprinted copies, this plays the US theme song for Budokai Tenkaichi 2/Sparking! Neo. In fact, all of the music in the reprinted RB2 copies have been replaced with BT music. Is this a coincidence? No. Yamamoto composed all of the music in the Raging Blast games, he didn't the music for the BT games. Bandai has officially washed their hands of him.

Outside of this current game, these actions also mean there will be implications for previous Dragon Ball Z video games making their way onto download services like PSN, Virtual Console, or as HD Remasters. Bandai won't rescore all of these games as it's cost prohibitive, and they can't recycle music for all of the games Yamamamoto composed (which includes every game Dimps made). It makes them re-appearing almost impossible.

Olaeh

guek said:
I wish they would cut this 3D fighter bullshit and make a good 2D twitch fighter with HD sprites

I would be there day one. Especially if it was done by, say, Arc or SNKP. I know Namco-Bandai has a stranglehold over the franchise, but maybe a namco x "___" type of situation but where namco is the publisher only.

Aru

Teknoman said:
Wait...so does this game have the original japanese music from the shows?

Maybe the japanese version, but 0% chance the western version has the OST.

I haven't played a Tenkaichi game since BT3. I hope this game is good. I don't expect something close to BT3, though.
I just hope Bandai doesn't give the licence to Dimps again. Just find another developer, I want something new.
Maybe Arc Sys ? But it would be a GG/BB clone then :/
Eighting can't do a single good thing on their own (outside of Bloody Roar), so not them either.

Back to UT, the customized character's story mode seems okay. No word about how long it lasts ?

SnakeSlashRO said:
Already preordered.

How is there GT when there is only SS4 Gogeta and Omega Shenron? Where is everyone else?

Thats just a confirmed character list, expect SSj4 goku and vegeta aswell, possibly majuub and baby vegeta

Aru said:
Back to UT, the customized character's story mode seems okay. No word about how long it lasts ?

I dont think anything has been said yet, wouldnt put it past 4-6 hours unless it has some kind of hidden item secondary fetch quest.

Takao

Banned
Aru said:
Maybe the japanese version, but 0% chance the western version has the OST.

Err, I'd actually say there's a considerably better chance this game will have the Kikuchi music given Yamamoto's gone, and Head-Cha-La is supposedly the game's opening worldwide.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Takao said:
Err, I'd actually say there's a considerably better chance this game will have the Kikuchi music given Yamamoto's gone, and Head-Cha-La is supposedly the game's opening worldwide.
As it should be.

Now if only there could have been a DBZ Abridged audio track option. I can dream at least.

Rapstah

I promised my brother we'd be buying this for the local multiplayer. I'm not a fan of scaling back the character amount but including Omega Shenron though.

Throavium

This game isn't looking up though, really spotty character roster, questionable fighting system, etc. It's worth a rent.

Aru

Takao said:

Don't forget about licence issues.

Why can't they just build off the BT3 roster in the first place and add in all the story from DB/Movies/GT and be done with it. These current generation of DBZ games have been a complete letdown considering how close Spike was to making a complete DBZ experiance with BT3. All they really needed to do was just add some more movie villian Henchman, General Rildo and the rest of the Dragons. After what Level - 5 did with the Naruto games this is a total letdown not to mention the artstyle looks like crap.

Note to developers- If you are going to make a game based off an anime or manga look at the Naruto games.

bumpkin

Snaku said:
Got room for another?

I've never liked Tenkaichi, but I loved the shit out of the Budokai series and Burst Limit. I was super excited when they announced a new DBZ game, but when I heard it was another 'ichi game, I lost all interest. I get what they try to do with the changed camera perspective and all that, but it just doesn't blow up my skirt.

TreIII

bumpkin said:
Got room for another?

I've never liked Tenkaichi, but I loved the shit out of the Budokai series and Burst Limit. I was super excited when they announced a new DBZ game, but when I heard it was another 'ichi game, I lost all interest. I get what they try to do with the changed camera perspective and all that, but it just doesn't blow up my skirt.

Budokai/BL wouldn't be something I'd mind at all, either. But my heart yearns for a sequel and refinement to Super DBZ. To this day, I still think it was a victim of being released about 3-4 years too early. A game where Goku was busting out SRKs in a post-SF4 world environment would have likely done much better than back in 06, in my opinion.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Host Samurai said:
Why can't they just build off the BT3 roster in the first place and add in all the story from DB/Movies/GT and be done with it. These current generation of DBZ games have been a complete letdown considering how close Spike was to making a complete DBZ experiance with BT3. All they really needed to do was just add some more movie villian Henchman, General Rildo and the rest of the Dragons. After what Level - 5 did with the Naruto games this is a total letdown not to mention the artstyle looks like crap.

Note to developers- If you are going to make a game based off an anime or manga look at the Naruto games.

Er, um...what? Level-5? You mean CC2, right?

TreIII said:
Budokai/BL wouldn't be something I'd mind at all, either. But my heart yearns for a sequel and refinement to Super DBZ. To this day, I still think it was a victim of being released about 3-4 years too early. A game where Goku was busting out SRKs in a post-SF4 world environment would have likely done much better than back in 06, in my opinion.

This all way! I didn't play Super DBZ till I emulated it on my PC... but damn its a crazy fun game. I love Budokai as well.... But I would take another Super any day...

NeonZ

Takao said:
Yes. Personally, I don't think the character creator is all that deep, but hey at least Spike's trying. Too bad it's likely too little, too late.

It's not even "all that deep", there are some just stupid decisions associated with the character creator. Not only are all the outfits a single piece aside from some acessories, you can only create 3 characters at a time, each one from one size category, and every character apparently must have a Saiyan tail. The limitation regarding outfits can be seen as their inexperience in making a character creator, but the other decisions are just bad design.

NeonZ said:
It's not even "all that deep", there are some just stupid decisions associated with the character creator. Not only are all the outfits a single piece aside from some acessories, you can only create 3 characters at a time, each one from one size category, and every character apparently must have a Saiyan tail. The limitation regarding outfits can be seen as their inexperience in making a character creator, but the other decisions are just bad design.

Probably threw it in at the last minute...

I CANT BELIEVE I CANNOT MAKE A FEMALE CHARACTER!!! Thats sooo lame. Even the DB MMO has female super sayians... I wanted to make a non sayian too!

I still welcome the mode... chances are it will be in the next game with way more features...

Takao

Banned
Aru said:
Don't forget about licence issues.

Bandai EU has made a big fuss about the fact they got Head Cha-La for the release. Given they don't have any other option other than recycling music Yamamoto didn't compose (which isn't a lot), I suspect they finally ponied up the big cash for the Kikuchi score.

Throavium said:
Doesn't seem likely.

Oh?

That game runs on PS3 hardware (the same board Tekken 6, and some Gundam games run on). There is no way it doesn't eventually get a console port.

SnakeSlashRO said:
I CANT BELIEVE I CANNOT MAKE A FEMALE CHARACTER!!! Thats sooo lame. Even the DB MMO has female super sayians... I wanted to make a non sayian too!

DBO looks like an upscaled PSP game, and took years to make. Spike's releases get 18 months or so, and don't look like PSP games. As well, without the character creator, Dragon Ball Online isn't really an mmo. If you take the character creator out of UT, it's still a fighting game.

any footage of full length fights or flashy moves besides the videos on namco's youtube? those matches kinda sucked. or maybe the game just sucks. hard to tell without more footage.

Top Bottom