• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi |OT| Witness a power not seen for a thousand years.

udivision

autobzooty said:
any footage of full length fights or flashy moves besides the videos on namco's youtube? those matches kinda sucked. or maybe the game just sucks. hard to tell without more footage.
Maybe both. The tenkaichi battle style has always looked rubbish and played likewise.

udivision said:
Maybe both. The tenkaichi battle style has always looked rubbish and played likewise.

yeah, i'm not sure how i feel about this game. on the one hand i'm going to buy it day 1, but on the other hand, i really don't like the tenkaichi games and I want something worthy of the amazing groundwork laid down by Infinite World.

i think it's possible the only reason i'm excited at all is because they promised this is the last tenkaichi game
KuGsj.gif

Wazzim

Banned
Rapstah said:
I promised my brother we'd be buying this for the local multiplayer. I'm not a fan of scaling back the character amount but including Omega Shenron though.
Haha me too but damn there are tons of other games coming up, it's hard to buy this next to AAA titles.

You should wait untill the game comes out before bashing it.

A demo would of been nice but I guess there wasn't enough time.

Throavium

Takao said:
Oh?

That game runs on PS3 hardware (the same board Tekken 6, and some Gundam games run on). There is no way it doesn't eventually get a console port.
I'm not completely doubting it, I just didn't think that America would get a console port.

Takao

Banned
Throavium said:
I'm not completely doubting it, I just didn't think that America would get a console port.

Why would that be? Don't say it's because the game's made on PS3 hardware so a 360 version would be hard to make because you know, Tekken 6 ...

Throavium

Takao said:
Why would that be? Don't say it's because the game's made on PS3 hardware so a 360 version would be hard to make because you know, Tekken 6 ...
Nah, it's because the game came out in Japan arcades in February, a console port in Japan doesn't seem unlikely at all, but the majority of general American fanbase hasn't even heard of the game.

I would be stoked if it happened though, I'm putting this in the same boat of games that Japan will have to themselves.

Takao

Banned
Throavium said:
Nah, it's because the game came out in Japan arcades in February, a console port in Japan doesn't seem unlikely at all, but the majority of general American fanbase hasn't even heard of the game.

Well, it's hard to get excited for a game you have no chance at playing. If a console port was announced, I imagine Scamco Europe will market it, get fans excited, while Scamco US just drops it in October without a single word.

Gravijah said:
how does the story mode compare to tenkaichi 2/3?

It won't be as expansive (meaning it's not covering Dragon Ball to GT's story) but it will tell the story better than those 2 games.

Throavium

Takao said:
Well, it's hard to get excited for a game you have no chance at playing. If a console port was announced, I imagine Scamco Europe will market it, get fans excited, while Scamco US just drops it in October without a single word.
Yeah, hopefully.

FreeMufasa

I might get this. I've been back on the series recently and just finished up Dragonball. I hope there's a decent DB presence in this game.

Aru

FreeMufasa said:
I might get this. I've been back on the series recently and just finished up Dragonball. I hope there's a decent DB presence in this game.

There shouldn't be anything DB related.

Takao

Banned
I actually hope Dimps is secretly making an amazing DBZ game that builds on the fundamentals of Infinite World, and the Data Carddas games.

Either that, or Scamco gets Tales Studio to finally make a DBZ Action RPG. It would seriously be that studio's best bet at getting a million seller.

Takao

Banned
Aru said:
I'd rather have a Tales of DBZ or a Project Soul DBZ.

You mean Soul Calibur DBZ Fighter? Ehh, there isn't a lot of weaponry in the series. The Tekken team would be better equipped to handle it IMO.

Tales of DBZ would be amazingly big for Scamco too. As they could break it up into a bunch of games.

Stage On

The character creator is tacked on trash. It's so limited as to basically be worthless They spent too much time on Hero mode and not enough actually polishing the gameplay or roster which is a total sausage fest.

My advice is avoid this at all cost. Buying it will only encourage Scamco to make more of the same rather then actually try and improve the series.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stage On said:
The character creator is tacked on trash. It's so limited as to basically be worthless They spent too much time on Hero mode and not enough actually polishing the gameplay or roster which is a total sausage fest.

My advice is avoid this at all cost. Buying it will only encourage Scamco to make more of the same rather then actually try and improve the series.
You played a review copy? Can you give more detail on why you didn't like the gameplay on this one?

Stage On

XiaNaphryz said:
You played a review copy? Can you give more detail on why you didn't like the gameplay on this one?

It has to do with the "fights" being more of a string of quick time events then something you actively control the majority of the time. You don't feel like you're trading punches so much with someone as watching it happen automatically :(

For having such a small roster most of the characters are basically the same based on their height class, which is limited to 3 which is why you can only create one character for each class as they are literally clones in more ways then one from fighting style to looks. Basically play as Trunks with a tail, or Brolly with a different color.

Plus the giant boss battles which are supposed to be one of the highlights of the game are super boring and repetitive. You literally have to fight the same one multiple times with the only difference being that it's slightly recolored.

Aru

Takao said:
You mean Soul Calibur DBZ Fighter? Ehh, there isn't a lot of weaponry in the series. The Tekken team would be better equipped to handle it IMO.

Tales of DBZ would be amazingly big for Scamco too. As they could break it up into a bunch of games.

It doesn't have to be a weapon fighter. Just a fighting game by the same team.
Budokai is basically a Tekken-ized DB fighter already, I want something different.

Stuart444

Is Spike defo leaving after this DBZ game? if so, I do look forward to seeing what the next developer does with this series.

Takao

Banned
Shikoro said:
You and me both. What the hell is Dimps doing all this time?

Sonic, Saint Seiya, and Street Fighter games.

Stuart444 said:
Is Spike defo leaving after this DBZ game? if so, I do look forward to seeing what the next developer does with this series.

That's the popular rumor. Though, there's been some backpedal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can never decide whether BT 2 or BT3 is the better game.

BT3 has more characters and world class shitty online.

BT2 has better battle mechanics.

Throavium

Man God said:
I can never decide whether BT 2 or BT3 is the better game.

BT3 has more characters and world class shitty online.

BT2 has better battle mechanics.
Leveling system in BT2 is better. BT2 is my favorite out of the two, BT3 is the better game methinks.

Whatever happened to the DBZ MMO? A DBZ RPG would be incredible I think.

EDIT: Just saw some vids and I take back what I said. DBZ does NOT belong in an RPG

Takao

Banned
bdizzle said:
Whatever happened to the DBZ MMO? A DBZ RPG would be incredible I think.

Dragon Ball Online has been released in Public Beta for those in South Korea, and Taiwan. No release has been announced for Japan, North America, or Europe. Here's the [completely not representative of the game at all] opening animation.

We've gotten DBZ RPGs, just not on consoles in a very, very, long time. I think a more free form action RPG would suit the franchise very well.

Takao

Banned
Throavium said:
Attack of the Saiyans got overlooked.

Best selling Dragon Ball game this generation in Japan.
Probably sold worse than the Atari re-release of Final Bout in the US.

I own a copy as well.

Akinola

BT3 had the most balanced fighting, far improved from 2. Took out infinites and being able to play as almost any character was pretty dope. Destruction mode battles ftw.

Raging blast 1 and 2 left me wanting more of the speed and technicality of BT3. It just didn't feel as tight. It's pretty, but it doesn't touch BT3. This latest iteration seems the closest to BT3 it's ever been but there are faaaaaar too many rock paper scissors things going on in the battle. The pace and flow looks awkward, but maybe I'll change my mind when I play.

Takao

Banned
I haven't seen any copies around here, but then again even if my local stores got the game early they probably wouldn't sell it to me.

Takao

Banned
Master Milk said:
Whoa, my interest in this game was basically demolished after reading the OP, but female creation could bring it back to life. Someone confirm this.

People on the internet lie. Supposedly there was a video, but it was taken down. Supposedly.

Takao

Banned
udivision said:
Remember that breif time period when we thought we'd be getting animation like that for Kai?

That must've been like for 2 minutes given I believe we knew what Kai was before it was formally announced, lol.

Top Bottom