• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi |OT| Witness a power not seen for a thousand years.

Takao

Banned
From what I've seen, it's not the Kikuchi score, but it doesn't sound recycled. Did they get the BT composer to make the music for this game since there's no way Yamamoto is ever going near this franchise again...

I guess the only way to know for sure is for more people to get their hands on the game.

I'll be picking this up first thing after I leave campus tomorrow. Super excited to spend some time with it, for better or for worse.

Seik

Banned
Holy sh...I just pre-ordered the game to pick it up tomorrow morning...I was quite hyped before reading here :( Well, fuck that, I'm still hyped, no matter what!!!

So...GUYS...is 'head-cha-la' the theme for the US opening?

I WANT IT SO MUCH D:

ACESmkII

autobzooty said:
I feel like the odd man out, here. Am I the only one who DOESN'T like Head Cha-La?
While I'm not a huge fan of the song itself, it does have this nostalgic charm. It reminds me of simpler times.

Kikuchi's original soundtrack is phenomenal though and I would love for one of the games released in the US to actually use it. Although this will most likely never happen.

ACESmkII said:
While I'm not a huge fan of the song itself, it does have this nostalgic charm. It reminds me of simpler times.

Kikuchi's original soundtrack is phenomenal though and I would love for one of the games released in the US to actually use it. Although this will most likely never happen.

With all the garbage that went down with DBZ Kai's soundtrack, I'm pretty sure America will get whatever Japan gets right now. Guess we'll find out tomorrow for sure.

Jaroof

So.. I picked this up tonight at the midnight launch for Battlefield 3...
playing it right now.
Just playing the tutorial.
So far, I'm disappointed. The way the game plays seems so different than the other games.
It seems much more.. automatic.
Once you land a combo, you can choose between one of two different attacks to do. It slows down the game, and shows you your options. Once you choose, it shows what you chose, and what your opponent chose. If you have something different than your opponent, you win. If they have the same thing, they win.
What the hell.. why did they do this?
Also, most of the combos seem really automatic, because.. well, it seems like you only have to press the buttons a few times. Very simple, and flashy, but really isn't too much fun so far.. Maybe I should get out of the tutorial and get into the real game, but.. if I'm not enjoying the tutorial... eh. :/

Jaroof said:
So.. I picked this up tonight at the midnight launch for Battlefield 3...
playing it right now.
Just playing the tutorial.
So far, I'm disappointed. The way the game plays seems so different than the other games.
It seems much more.. automatic.
Once you land a combo, you can choose between one of two different attacks to do. It slows down the game, and shows you your options. Once you choose, it shows what you chose, and what your opponent chose. If you have something different than your opponent, you win. If they have the same thing, they win.
What the hell.. why did they do this?
Also, most of the combos seem really automatic, because.. well, it seems like you only have to press the buttons a few times. Very simple, and flashy, but really isn't too much fun so far.. Maybe I should get out of the tutorial and get into the real game, but.. if I'm not enjoying the tutorial... eh. :/

yeah, from what i've seen, the appeal is in the flashiness of the game and the pretty decent looking visuals, rather than the depth of the combat. par for the course for tenkaichi i guess, but still kind of a bummer to hear. :\

i really do like the way they handled the defender's choice when on the receiving end of an ultimate, where if you have enough energy you can choose to dodge, beam struggle, or tank it like a boss. making that choice really captures the feel of what DBZ is all about, to me. have you done any of that stuff yet? possibly elaborate more on the combat systems? there's very little out there in the way of videos and information...

Jaroof

Nah, I stopped for today. Played the first mission, which puts you playing as Bardock fighting against Frieza.. and that was just alright.
After that, I decided to stop until later today. Gonna hop on Uncharted 3 for a bit.

And yes, if you have enough energy, you can choose to either block, dodge, or beat the opponent's ass.
If you block, you don't have to press anything iirc.
If you dodge, you have to press Square at the appropriate time. Three lines will go across the bottom of the screen, and when it hits a certain point, you have to press Square, or you get hit. It was pretty silly. >_>
For the "Beat Ass" one, you just have to mash Triangle more than your opponent. That's not really anything new.

But uhh.. the battles just feel really automatic. I can't stress that enough. In Raging Blast and the Budokai Tenkaichi games, I loved how every button was at least one hit.
When they first teach you how to fight, this is what you do:
-Square Square Square
-(slowdown)
-Choose Triangle or Square
-Wait for outcome
-If you win, your character hits the opponent, then you choose where to hit them next. Up, down, left, right..
-Rinse & repeat three more times.

If you're on the side that's being hit, all you can do is just mash buttons to try to get out of the combo. From my experience, that doesn't really work most of the time.
It just feels.. like it's not gonna be nearly as fun as the others so far.

I really wanted to try this game out considering I've been away from dbz games since Budakai.. hmm idk anymore

if anyone wants to sell their copy for extreme cheap, pm me!

Aru

Jaroof said:
Nah, I stopped for today. Played the first mission, which puts you playing as Bardock fighting against Frieza.. and that was just alright.
After that, I decided to stop until later today. Gonna hop on Uncharted 3 for a bit.

And yes, if you have enough energy, you can choose to either block, dodge, or beat the opponent's ass.
If you block, you don't have to press anything iirc.
If you dodge, you have to press Square at the appropriate time. Three lines will go across the bottom of the screen, and when it hits a certain point, you have to press Square, or you get hit. It was pretty silly. >_>
For the "Beat Ass" one, you just have to mash Triangle more than your opponent. That's not really anything new.

But uhh.. the battles just feel really automatic. I can't stress that enough. In Raging Blast and the Budokai Tenkaichi games, I loved how every button was at least one hit.
When they first teach you how to fight, this is what you do:
-Square Square Square
-(slowdown)
-Choose Triangle or Square
-Wait for outcome
-If you win, your character hits the opponent, then you choose where to hit them next. Up, down, left, right..
-Rinse & repeat three more times.

If you're on the side that's being hit, all you can do is just mash buttons to try to get out of the combo. From my experience, that doesn't really work most of the time.
It just feels.. like it's not gonna be nearly as fun as the others so far.

And yet another DBZ game I'll skip. I miss BT3 :(

I have the game too and I havnt had much chance to play it so Ive only done the tutorial so far and Im not liking the whole automated stuff aswell.

Its now all like whos going to win the quick time event everytime a ultimate blast is shot or combo started.

Takao

Banned
What is Scamco doing? The subtitles are once again shitty in that they're bunched up to the right side of the screen instead of in the centre.

As well, the voice actors may switch between the Kai voices, and recycled voices from the old Z dub. For example, you might hear Colleen Clickenbeard's Gohan for the dialog, but hear Stephanie Nadolny's cries.

Takao said:
What is Scamco doing? The subtitles are once again shitty in that they're bunched up to the right side of the screen instead of in the centre.

As well, the voice actors may switch between the Kai voices, and recycled voices from the old Z dub. For example, you might hear Colleen Clickenbeard's Gohan for the dialog, but hear Stephanie Nadolny's cries.

:|

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
A review!

http://thegamershub.net/2011/10/dragon-ball-z-ultimate-tenkaichi-review/

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi has some great aspects but ultimately ends up being mediocre. The art style and the implementation of actual scenes from the anime is great. The gameplay changed to create a deeper play style but where are the characters? Raging Blast 2 had 100’s of characters. Ultimate Tenkaichi doesn’t come close to that number which is quite sad, even with the Saiyans.

The terrain deformation makes a return and now it allows for super moves and ultimate moves to affect the battlefield as well, however even that is seemingly for show only as once the move is finished the battlefield somehow rebuilds itself.

The somewhat lengthy story mode of 50 or so battles is great at roughly 8 hours and the hero mode is around 5 hours long (if you don’t spend time raising your stats) but it shutters in comparison to the previous entry’s galaxy mode which had over 100 battles. Hardcore fans will appreciate the attention to the manga and anime series but will be saddened by the lack of choices. The addition of boss type enemies is great and makes for interesting new gameplay but in the end this is another Dragon Ball Z title that adds some new aspects but takes away others and ends with a game with great fan service but only for the hardcore.

In the end if you already own Raging Blast 2 you may want to pick this up if you are a diehard fan and need to create your own moderately interesting hero from a limited group of character customization options. However, it is best to give it a rent and experience the story of the Dragon Ball universe in game form which is simply the best part, the presentation.

Final Score: 3/5

Takao

Banned
Launch Trailer

Early reviews:

IGN

IGN said:
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is beautifully flawed. It has gameplay that actually captures the unique complexity, spirit and speed of the franchise, which is no small feat. Like I said before, it manages to make the anime look dated, and that's something few Dragon Ball games have done. Yet such an achievement does not come without faults. Characters operate too similarly, and there are a whole host of annoyances that pile up, the most offensive of which are the ubiquitous and unyielding loading screens. If I never see another DynoCap, it will be too soon.

7.5/10

This is the second highest rating a Dragon Ball Z game has received on the HD platforms from IGN. Raging Blast 2 received a hurtful 5.5/10, Raging Blast a 6.2/10, and Burst Limit a 7.9/10.

It's funny looking over their old reviews which slam the music. Funny because the music in these games are generally great.

The Gamer's Hub

The Gamer's Hub said:
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi has some great aspects but ultimately ends up being mediocre. The art style and the implementation of actual scenes from the anime is great. The gameplay changed to create a deeper play style but where are the characters? Raging Blast 2 had 100’s of characters. Ultimate Tenkaichi doesn’t come close to that number which is quite sad, even with the Saiyans. The terrain deformation makes a return and now it allows for super moves and ultimate moves to affect the battlefield as well, however even that is seemingly for show only as once the move is finished the battlefield somehow rebuilds itself. The somewhat lengthy story mode of 50 or so battles is great at roughly 8 hours and the hero mode is around 5 hours long (if you don’t spend time raising your stats) but it shutters in comparison to the previous entry’s galaxy mode which had over 100 battles. Hardcore fans will appreciate the attention to the manga and anime series but will be saddened by the lack of choices. The addition of boss type enemies is great and makes for interesting new gameplay but in the end this is another Dragon Ball Z title that adds some new aspects but takes away others and ends with a game with great fan service but only for the hardcore. In the end if you already own Raging Blast 2 you may want to pick this up if you are a diehard fan and need to create your own moderately interesting hero from a limited group of character customization options. However, it is best to give it a rent and experience the story of the Dragon Ball universe in game form which is simply the best part, the presentation.

3/5

RB2 didn't have hundreds of characters, lol.

So far so good Spike!

Somewhat favorable reviews are conflicting with rather negative fan impressions. Does not compute.

Usually with DBZ games, I see fans praise it and reviews slam it...

Lets hope this is DBZ's Sonic 06... and they go back to the real tenkaichi or even better super DBZ or budokai formula...

I was sooooo excited... but this is fucking horrible... I really want to like it... but I cant. I don't want some rock paper scissors dbz game... IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL but thats about all it has....

Takao

Banned
IGN Video Review

Doesn't seem like Kikuchi's score is in the Western release. Oh well, both versions support custom soundtracks.

autobzooty said:
Looks like a new trailer is up for those interested. I can't check it out right now, but here's a link on Giant Bomb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/no-one-is-safe-in-dragon-ball-z-ultimate-tenkaichi/17-5138/

That's the same trailer I posted at the top of my last post! But at least your link is in HD, haha.

autobzooty said:
Usually with DBZ games, I see fans praise it and reviews slam it...

Eh, only time I'd say the reviews were really wrong was with Infinite World, and Evolution. In the reviews it felt like there was hatred just for it existing.

SnakeSlashRO said:
Lets hope this is DBZ's Sonic 06... and they go back to the real tenkaichi or even better super DBZ or budokai formula...

I was sooooo excited... but this is fucking horrible... I really want to like it... but I cant. I don't want some rock paper scissors dbz game... IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL but thats about all it has....

I'm pretty sure Sonic 2K6 didn't get a 7.5 from any outlet. Well, maybe if you add up a few scores, lol.

Whoops, sorry, didn't see you posted the new trailer.

Custom soundtrack support is unexpected and delightful! Very glad to hear that. I think I'll play it with classic Budokai music. :D

Takao

Banned
Vandal Online (Spanish)

I used Google, and my limited knowledge of Spanish (my parents hail from the land of Mrs. Portugal 1994) to translate the conclusion:

Vandal.net said:
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi hasn't managed to become the definitive Dragon Ball game we have been waiting for, but it still offers something new and different, in an attempt to revitalize the franchise. Unfortunately, great graphics can not hide an extremely simple and repetitive gameplay system, which together with the poor and unfortunate template characters and some uninspired game modes, hurts your enjoyment. Despite all this, most fans will find the title a good way to spend some time, while the rest will leave with the game not leaving much of an impression. With that said, it has good ideas, and future games with more polish in things like a much deeper and less cinematic abusive combat system and a much higher number of characters, could result in a great game. It's a shame this is not that game.

6/10

Game is seriously lacking in the polish department. This was always the case with Spike's games, but it's been a while since I played one of their games so I had kinda forgotten. Huge and constant leaps in quality across the board.

Still, I'm having fun with it. There's a bit more depth to this rock paper scissors crap than I was expecting, and I guess at the end of the day flashing lights and mashing buttons is enough to satisfy my ape brain.

But...I kinda just want to play Infinite World.

Seik

Banned
I just finished the story mode! Phew!

I liked it! :) But it sure is less technical than any previous title, its flashy eye candy more than anything.

My favorite things in the story mode are the boss battles with
Janemba, Hildegarde and Metal Cooler Core

The SSJ4 Gogeta vs Shenron fight is fucking cheap btw.

I didn't touched the Hero Mode, I just created a hero, the choices of customization were quite limited but I guess I will be able to unlock more by progressing through that mode. The original story mode is good too, but man do they skip some important parts/moves sometimes. I really like those HD parts from the anime, these really threw me back in time by moments. Another thing is that all the characters have the same kind of moves during those clashes, which feels cheap after many matches :/

Another thing is that they messed up big time with the VA, Frieza changes voices (actor) when he's talking and it feels so...wrong! XD

And if you want a minimum of fun/challenge doing that you better put the difficulty at hard right at the beginning, or else its way too easy.

Story mode is awesome and probably the best in a DBZ game but the gameplay is really lacking and most of all repetitive and it doesnt really feel fun.

Its like this game is better than Raging Blast 2 in the graphics and story department but RB2 has better gameplay mechanics and more characters.

Even the stage destruction is a bit iffy and there is only 3 main types:
A huge crater, a few small crater holes and a big long trench.

Jaroof

lololol okay.. I'm probably gonna finish this game, but right now.. it's pretty bad.
I got to the part where Goku's about to fight Vegeta in oozaru form, when it took me back to the map.
I had to fly around as Vegeta, unguided, and find this location.
I flew around the entire world before I found out where to go.
When I finally found a fight, I figured it was where I had to go. It was a cave, far off on another island.
I go into it, and Vegeta goes "So you've chosen this as your final resting place!"
"Weird", I think to myself.. but this must be where to go. When it shows who Vegeta's talking to, it was a Saibaman! >_>
I laughed. Really hard..
After I beat that Saibaman, I travelled for another minute or so, then found another fight.
Who was it with? Another saibaman. -_-
I've been laughing at this game more than I expected.. it's hard to take it seriously when they made it so bad.
It's flashy and all, but.. it's not fun :(

Takao

Banned
Throavium said:
Takao, have you played the game yet?

No, I haven't bought a copy, and no one I know has the game.

Jaroof said:
lololol okay.. I'm probably gonna finish this game, but right now.. it's pretty bad.
I got to the part where Goku's about to fight Vegeta in oozaru form, when it took me back to the map.
I had to fly around as Vegeta, unguided, and find this location.
I flew around the entire world before I found out where to go.
When I finally found a fight, I figured it was where I had to go. It was a cave, far off on another island.
I go into it, and Vegeta goes "So you've chosen this as your final resting place!"
"Weird", I think to myself.. but this must be where to go. When it shows who Vegeta's talking to, it was a Saibaman! >_>
I laughed. Really hard..
After I beat that Saibaman, I travelled for another minute or so, then found another fight.
Who was it with? Another saibaman. -_-
I've been laughing at this game more than I expected.. it's hard to take it seriously when they made it so bad.
It's flashy and all, but.. it's not fun :(

To fight Oozaru Vegeta you go to the giant crater/energy ball place, lol.

Jaroof

Takao said:
To fight Oozaru Vegeta you go to the giant crater/energy ball place, lol.

Well, I know that now :lol
It was probably right next to where I started.. but it had no kinds of indication of where to go.

Aru

PsychoMantis said:
I've been wanting to get a new DBZ game. Should I buy Raging Blast 2 or Ultimate Tenkaichi? I'm guessing RB2.

Wait for next year's game and pray it's better than the 5 last years games.

Danny 117

People talk about the fact that they're watching the game.. I'm getting this for the online battles, and from what I remember about RB2.. You basically watched that game play itself online with all the spamming of supers that went on lol
My copy should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get my cheeky nostalgia fix and a good 15+ hours of gameplay. I'll be happy with that.
This is my first day 1 purchase for a DBZ game so don't give me the "you're part of the problem" speech please :p!

Takao

Banned
Another review:

Gamepro
Spike could've developed a better game if they used some kind of fusion to merge the original Raging Blast's gameplay with Ultimate Tenkaichi's stellar graphics. But the end result here just falls short of being a memorable experience. As usual, pick this up used only if you're a hardcore fan -- everyone else can wait for the next (and hopefully better) game.

3/5

Some other outlets have reviewed it as well. The smallest one gave it a 1.5/5, but I'm not posting that since the very first sentence read: "If I knew where one of my old Tenkaichi reviews were I'd simply copy and paste the bulk of it, remove what little didn't remain true, and then add the few changes that have happened between versions." which doesn't seem anything close to true.

Pein said:
hopefully dimps or Cyberconnect2.

8ing here we come!

Crafts and Meister, Super DBZ 2 believe!

No one's playing this thing online and the few people that are I can't seem to join.

It's probably for the best anyways, the fighting system barely holds up when you're playing with CPUs who aren't actively spamming Supers. :lol

Top Bottom