• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 10 coming to PS4 and NX

Yeah, you can hire NPCs from taverns (other player characters) or you can party up with real life people. You can mix and match real players and NPCs as well.

Encounters are based on proximity. It's possible to get in a fight away from your other party members. When they get close to the fight they will enter battle as well.
Speaking of NPCs, how feasible/enjoyable is it to solo the main story?

Parshias7

So does this make DQX the first game to appear on three console generations? Other than BC, I mean. It's on Wii, Wii U, and will be on NX.

I got about halfway through the main game before I dropped it (time, money, hated playing on the Wii back during the early days), but I had no problem solo'ing most of the stuff I did when I felt like it.

DQX is really rad.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
i'm no nostradamus but history has taught us that the Nintendo platforms are never as powerful as their competitor. I'm not saying it won't be as successful (nobody knows yet) but powerful....nah.....i think the PS4 will be more powerful than NX...
History has taught us that nintendo has beaten Sony in the graphics race, twice

Gloam

I soloed a lot of the game. It's enjoyable if you like the combat well enough. There's a lot of traversal in the game and so having real life people to talk to is a plus. Some of the bosses are also quite difficult with AI companions. v1.0 is easier than the later versions. For most of the hard bosses I had help from friends.

And yeah, Moobabe, DQX was really great. I enjoyed it as much as I have any of the other entries in the series.

I got about halfway through the main game before I dropped it (time, money, hated playing on the Wii back during the early days), but I had no problem solo'ing most of the stuff I did when I felt like it.

DQX is really rad.

I soloed a lot of the game. It's enjoyable if you like the combat well enough. There's a lot of traversal in the game and so having real life people to talk to is a plus. Some of the bosses are also quite difficult with AI companions. v1.0 is easier than the later versions. For most of the hard bosses I had help from friends.

And yeah, Moobabe, DQX was really great. I enjoyed it as much as I have any of the other entries in the series.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm always wary of MMOs because at face value, they might require a time investment or coordination I'm not necessarily ready to make but that sounds good.

I guess the next dilemma is going to be between PC nowish or PS4 later. I assume VPN services can bypass the IP block?

MLH

presumably with all the updates and bringing it to new consoles they might finally bring it west, it would be a real shame if we missed out on it. I'm not huge into MMOs (WoW burned me out many years ago) but I've still wanted to play it, they could tie subscriptions to FFXIV as an incentive for people to try.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yep.
Japan have "kids hours" or something when the game is free for a limited period of time each day.
I remember that from the Wii version, dunno if things changed.
That would be dumb because I would probably rather play FFXIV. Why have two competing MMOs? They should make it F2P to gather fans for DQXI. I would definitely buy it then.

JimPanzer

I have a question about the 3DS version. Apparently there was a demo version announced, which should be coming tomorrow? Will I be able to play that on my japanese 3DS altough I'm in Europe? Do I have to go through some registration process before or after I start my free trial?

Sophia

That would be dumb because I would probably rather play FFXIV. Why have two competing MMOs? They should make it F2P to gather fans for DQXI. I would definitely buy it then.

Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIV play completely different. They're only very loosely competing with each other.

Dragon Quest X is pretty much the MMORPG for people who hate MMORPGs, actually.

Walpurgis

Banned
It would be dumb because YOU, personally, would rather play 14?
It would be dumb because they would have two competing subscription MMOs. I don't see why DQX should require a sub. It's an old game from the Wii and if it requires a sub, it would likely just take players from FFXIV. If DQX is F2P, Square won't have to constantly support it with patches. If it has a sub, their patches better be as frequent and massive as FFXIV.

Walpurgis

Banned
Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIV play completely different. They're only very loosely competing with each other.

Dragon Quest X is pretty much the MMORPG for people who hate MMORPGs, actually.
Wouldn't you think that an MMO made for people that hate MMOs would be free? Subscription fees are one of the biggest reasons that some people hate MMOs.

rpmurphy

It would be dumb because they would have two competing subscription MMOs. I don't see why DQX should require a sub. It's an old game from the Wii and if it requires a sub, it would likely just take players from FFXIV. If DQX is F2P, Square won't have to constantly support it with patches. If it has a sub, their patches better be as frequent and massive as FFXIV.
If Japan can play both with sufficiently-sized userbases, why can't other regions do the same?

Walpurgis

Banned
If Japan can play both with sufficiently-sized userbases, why can't other regions do the same?
Dragon Quest is a big thing in Japan but barely exists outside it. I think we're still waiting for some localisations for some Nintendo ones. Final Fantasy, on the other hand, is huge here. I don't think Dragon Quest has earned enough popularity to have a successful subscription MMO but we will see. Maybe they can survive with a low number of subs and will be content with that.

Scrawnton

Dragon Quest is a big thing in Japan but barely exists outside it. I think we're still waiting for some localisations for some Nintendo ones. Final Fantasy, on the other hand, is huge here. I don't think Dragon Quest has earned enough popularity to have a successful subscription MMO but we will see. Maybe they can survive with a low number of subs and will be content with that.
I honestly think the sole purpose for bringing it to PS4 is to market it in the west. DQX already exists on five platforms in Japan (3ds, Wii, Wii U, tablet streaming, and PC). PS4 sells even less in Japan than the Wii U does and I doubt people were waiting for a PS4 version of this game to finally take the plunge. If Square wanted to justify localizing it in the west, it would have needed to be on a super popular system like PS4.

Megatron

This is really interesting. Do they expect to get whole new player bases to pay the subscription fees or might the game be released without them? Or is this game being ported mainly to bring to new audiences/markets?

For those of us still clinging to the hope of playing dq10 someday, this is good news!

LtOrange

I would love if they made it B2P with a premium subscription option similar to ESO. Then have something like SOE All Access and roll the FFXIV and DQ X subscriptions into one. The game would get a ton of exposure from all the FFXIV players and not scare off DQ fans who are against the subscription model.

Sophia

Wouldn't you think that an MMO made for people that hate MMOs would be free? Subscription fees are one of the biggest reasons that some people hate MMOs.

That's not really a problem with MMOs so much as it is a problem with subscription-based services in general. Nor was it what I was referring to, which was the gameplay. Aeana already mentioned earlier why the subscription model is better for players (more consistent content updates), and Square-Enix definitely benefits from it being subscription based. If it really bothers you that much, play on kids time. :\

This is really interesting. Do they expect to get whole new player bases to pay the subscription fees or might the game be released without them? Or is this game being ported mainly to bring to new audiences/markets?

For those of us still clinging to the hope of playing dq10 someday, this is good news!

Definitely. I think a PS4/PC release is pretty much the only option we have of an international release. I'd love to pay for a combined service option for FFXIV and DQ10 because the games supplement each other so well.

Reknoc

It'd be nice if this did finally come over here with a localization so punny even Koji Fox would blush. Not fussed about it having a subscription and I wouldn't expect that to change, but this would be S-E's 3rd subsciption service, I wish they would have some sort of multipack offer or at least have them on the same "service".

Pachimari

Do we even know if this is coming to the West?

First I were excited about the Wii U version, and when the PC version were announced I were pretty sure it would arrive here, but Dragon Quest X is still nowhere to be seen in the West.

Scrawnton

First I were excited about the Wii U version, and when the PC version were announced I were pretty sure it would arrive here, but Dragon Quest X is still nowhere to be seen in the West.

sony is actually pretty good at getting games out in america that are developed in japan. You have to remember, sony is firing on all cylinders to beat xbox in the software line-up. There is no way they pass on this and DQXI in America when it will go miles with jrpg fans in america.

Peltz

The NX version announcement is pretty insane stuff.

If it plays DQX, then that is a good indication that NX is capable of traditional videogame experiences. Yes, that should go without saying, but with Nintendo, you never really know what they are going to make.

The NX version announcement is pretty insane stuff.

If it plays DQX, then that is a good indication that NX is capable of traditional videogame experiences. Yes, that should go without saying, but with Nintendo, you never really know what they are going to make.

Wii had dq10. It doesnt really tell us much at this point :/

I hope the 3DS version can make it to the west, and it's not another Ni No Kuni situation.

Peltz

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/28/the-first-games-announced-for-the-nintendo-nx-are?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Weird:

Update: Square Enix has provided IGN with a statement saying Dragon Quest X and XI are only under consideration for Nintendo NX, and the news has not been confirmed.

"It is under consideration, but we don’t have further information to share at the moment,” it reads.

Original story follows.

Shikoba

Really want to play this game. Hope it gets localized on PS4. I know not everyone wants a Dragon Quest MMO, but I'd love to give it a go.

Top Bottom