• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Aeana

I'm just wondering how the hell are they aiming the PS4 version for next year. It looked very early, like few months in development. Not showing combat and empty towns etc. It was basically more like a tech demo showing.

Where as the 3DS version looked almost ready. I really hope they aren't delaying the 3DS version because of the other versions.

Both are scheduled for release within the 30th anniversary year (2016). I'm sure the PS4 version will be later than the 3DS one though.

L Thammy

Monster Hunter jump was the same I want to say.

Which one? 3 was originally announced for PS3, so I would think that the Wii was out when it was announced there, but maybe my mental timeline is off. Monster Hunter 4 was similarly absurd in that it was announced alongside 3 Ultimate, but the 3DS was out already out by then.

Depending on what they release in the west I might actually buy more than one version! Wow.
Yeah, just from what we've seen they look like they'll be completely different experiences.

The tenuous position of the series in the west is what's worrying me most right now. I want to be excited, but we're still getting the cold shoulder treatment. I hope this is the start of a change in that regard. (And they can begin with releasing VII and VIII in English too.)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome announcement! Everybody wins!!!! :)

I am glad they took the Ninokuni aproach, means they can go full out on the strengths of both platforms.

antonz

Both are scheduled for release within the 30th anniversary year (2016). I'm sure the PS4 version will be later than the 3DS one though.

Yep Icould see the 3DS version out just in time for the 30th Anniversary day and then PS4/NX in the Fall/Winter

Arcatax

Any word on multiplayer? I know it was said a while back that it will be an offline game, and I hope that it is as the story normally suffers if it has mp, but I really enjoyed the mp on dq9 so I'd probably get it on both 3DS and PS4. Although I'll probably just get it on PS4 unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Sadist

I think the 3DS version looks great. I wish we could get it here in Europe but hey... S-E...

PS4 seems nice, a bit rough maybe. The NX announcement... oh man.

Why are people so afraid of no localization? Outside of the 7 on DS all mainline games starting from the 4th had a US and EU localization...

They even localized some spin off of DQ.

Overall I'm thinking we have a good chance of it coming overseas on PS4 and 3ds.

Per Verendus, DQXI is definitely coming to the west. I don't know about DQX though but I hope so.

I hope the 3DS version gets localized too given that it's the same story. I want to double-dip so damn bad.

watershed

Banned
Even though it speeds up the battles, I'm kind of sad about the loss of the dynamic camera in the animated battles on 3ds. I found it gave some excitement in DQ IX.

AniHawk

i hope kyle bosman is scrambling for a feel-good episode, because all of this was aaaaalllllll right.

but first off, a few nitpicks:

1. xb1-only owners don't get anything. actually really weird considering what just happened at the very end, but i think the decision was, like all previous dq games, made with japan in mind (i am not jonesing for an xb1 release, just noting that not eeeveryone gets to enjoy what happened just now).
2. did we get a release date...?

but this was mostly awesome:

1. the ps4 version of the game looks really pretty and has that wide-open world that appealed to me with stuff like skies of arcadia, xenoblade chronicles, and dragon quest viii. the battle system might even be something different from previous dragon quest games.
2. the 3ds version actually looks really charming and it has a fantastic idea for the two screens. the thought and care that has been put into both was really sweet.
3. the nx gets its first game(s) announced when i'm pretty sure very few people expected the platform to be mentioned at all.
4. this comes after months and months of concern trolling and hand-wringing over what platform the game will come out on, and i think everyone just came away really excited for both versions.

i've actually rarely seen a multiplatform release been announced where the reaction was positivity all around. no bewilderment, or resentment towards the 'lesser version.' just good feelings.

Kolx

I find it hard to believe they developed this completely different PS4 graphics just for the small base in Japan. I think they developed it for both PS4 and the NX or at least I hope :/

DieH@rd

Banned
What are the chances of DQXI being an NX release game?

Chances for that are between 0 and 100 percent.

I find it hard to believe they developed this completely different PS4 graphics just for the small base in Japan. I think they developed it for both PS4 and the NX or at least I hope :/

UE4 version is probably there because of the international market. And who knows, maybe NX will get that UE4 version.

Holy shit at the NX announcement. Now what if they announce that FFXV is coming to NX at GamesCom.

We don't know what NX is yet. It could easily just be getting a more polished version of the 3DS version so I wouldn't jump to conclusions as to whether it can run FFXV.

duckroll

So who are Orca, exactly? I can't find anything online. Was really hoping for Level-5. :\

Orca are a relatively new-ish developer made up of former Cavia staff members. They worked on DQX as development support, and developed the smartphone companion app for DQX. Earlier this year they mentioned that they were working on a new Dragon Quest project. it was unclear until now what it really was. I thought it could have been Builders instead, but this is a pretty huge gig for them.

Tabris

I have a feeling the PS4 / NX version is a while off and the 3DS version will come out before them. I wonder if they had started 3DS development first a while ago then the company decided to strategically shift focus back to consoles due to the handheld vs mobile situation, so they decided to also develop a PS4 / NX version of the same game.

I am thinking, like announcing FF7 remake for PS4 early, a lot of these early announcements are about increasing console sales in Japan before these games come out.

Such a weird way of announcing the very first NX title for a console we know nothing about but it's code name.

I guess we can confirm it will be a home console and that it will be powerful enough to run UE4 right?

I get the feeling Nintendo at the last second told Square "say it's coming to NX too. We'll figure out later the details".

Mr. RPG

I wonder if Orca's involvement with Dragon Quest XI will be on the same level as the past co-developers such as Level-5, Chunsoft, ArtePiazza, etc.

i hope kyle bosman is scrambling for a feel-good episode, because all of this was aaaaalllllll right.

but first off, a few nitpicks:

1. xb1-only owners don't get anything. actually really weird considering what just happened at the very end, but i think the decision was, like all previous dq games, made with japan in mind (i am not jonesing for an xb1 release, just noting that not eeeveryone gets to enjoy what happened just now).
2. did we get a release date...?

1. the ps4 version of the game looks really pretty and has that wide-open world that appealed to me with stuff like skies of arcadia, xenoblade chronicles, and dragon quest viii. the battle system might even be something different from previous dragon quest games.
2. the 3ds version actually looks really charming and it has a fantastic idea for the two screens. the thought and care that has been put into both was really sweet.
3. the nx gets its first game(s) announced when i'm pretty sure very few people expected the platform to be mentioned at all.
4. this comes after months and months of concern trolling and hand-wringing over what platform the game will come out on, and i think everyone just came away really excited for both versions.

i've actually rarely seen a multiplatform release been announced where the reaction was positivity all around. no bewilderment, or resentment towards the 'lesser version.' just good feelings.

I was surprised about a lack of release date too. I was expecting a year, though I do think the 3DS version will hit next year regardless.

Not sure why an X1 version would get announced, given the reliance of the series on Japan.

They're the team that does DQX for S-E. Their work on DQX is fantastic.

Thank you, this makes me feel much better.

Replaced the roman numeral in the title since apparently roman numerals are hard for some people.

Roman numerals look so much better, though. :(
Just include a chart in the OP lol.

romannumeralschart1to20.gif

This should cover us for a while.

Good point. I did not expect to come out of this stream willing to buy 2 (or perhaps 3) copies of DQXI.

Top Bottom