• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Reknoc

This really is the most perfect announcement. They've made it so pretty much everyone should be happy; want something to finally push past VIII? Get the PS4 version! Want a DQass DQ game you can play on your commute or on lunch? Get the 3DS version (it's even 2 in one!).

I'd be happy if either one came over (though admittedly I lean more towards the 3DS version) but I really hope it's both.

urfe

It would be hard to be more happy at how they did the announcement.

I will almost say (Square-)Enix is back!

That PS4 announcement has lost some shine now. If this game is out next year it'll be heavily Nintendo marketed as they have two of the three platforms it is on.
Feels like bet hedging to me but it is what it is. Will be interesting to see the NX at any rate and see if the rumours are true.

SgtCobra

1. xb1-only owners don't get anything. actually really weird considering what just happened at the very end, but i think the decision was, like all previous dq games, made with japan in mind.
Are you really surprised? The JRPG market is just small on that console. I don't think DQXI will do millions in the west on PS4 let alone on Xbox One. The demographic is just simply not there, Square Enix knows this.
The only exception I can think of are the high budget AAA JRPGS.

PS4 version is visually (or artistically?) unimpressive, it looks lifeless and generic. I guess the bar was set too high after Ninokuni.
Geez I didn't know the PS4 version was nearing completion.

PS4 version is visually (or artistically?) unimpressive, it looks lifeless and generic. I guess the bar was set too high after Ninokuni.

3DS version, on the other hand, looks amazing and the use of both screens, D-Pad and Circle Pad is very clever!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While I understand the 3D/2D hybrid view is cute, I do hope the option to display a zoomed out map on one screen is also an option.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Oooooooooooh I remember when the rumors were rampant on Final Fantasy coming back to Nintendo consoles (or someone announced it, but we didn't know a thing), there was this rumor about Final Fantasy on GCN and GBA; that they were both the same game, but you could play it on the GBA, with sprite graphics, like the bottom screen on 3DS, and then connect your GBA to the GCN and continue playing the same game in 3D (like the top screen), while seeing all of the missing FMVs.

Now they realized this concept, awesome.

jackdoe

Wonder how similar the script will be for both versions. I can't really imagine it being word for word the same, but if it is, then a 3DS localization isn't out of the question.

Sesto

Banned
I'm just wondering how the hell are they aiming the PS4 version for next year. It looked very early, like few months in development. Not showing combat and empty towns etc. It was basically more like a tech demo showing.

Where as the 3DS version looked almost ready. I really hope they aren't delaying the 3DS version because of the other versions.

yeah indeed, I expect DQ 11 to release first on the 3DS, just because the 3DS is slowly retiring.
For DQ11 on the PS4 there is plenty of time and SE probably preferes to increase that tiny userbase in Japan with FFXV/KH3

Nerokis

PS4 version has the scope, 3DS version has the charm, NX version has ??

I feel like this announcement not only transcended the platform wars, but took a shit on them. The PS4 and 3DS couldn't be more different, yet each version equally captured my imagination for different reasons. It was a wonderful thing seeing them presented side by side. I'll happily pick up both.

Loudninja

That PS4 announcement has lost some shine now. If this game is out next year it'll be heavily Nintendo marketed as they have two of the three platforms it is on.
Feels like bet hedging to me but it is what it is. Will be interesting to see the NX at any rate and see if the rumours are true.
You cant be serious.

Dude its DC on a freaking home console!

antonz

Nah, don't think you can assume either when you have the 3DS version there too. Could go either way.

Really wouldn't make much sense for Nintendo to release the same game on 2 different handhelds. So its either a Console or it is a handheld that can at the very least Handle a downscaled PS4 game and not just be a cheap port of a 3DS game on a new handheld.

Joqu

Gonna ask again because it got buried, did they mention 3D support for 3DS? I shouldn't have to ask but knowing S-E's past output...

Septimus

Wowwww! The PS4 version honestly looks like a dream come true as a huge fan of 8. Even in the early state... Utterly beautiful. Day 1 when localized.

Shouta

While the 3DS version is very cool and very novel, I'm a little more excited for the PS4 version because of what they can do with the DQ world. I've put time into DQX and it's an amazing game so I'm really hoping DQXI will capture that same feeling of really jumping head first and immersing yourself in there.

mclem

Did anyone think that they were going to hear about the first NX game today? I'm sure they were some who suggested it, but I wonder if there were any that were confident about it.

Quite the opposite: I was confident that even if a DQ title announced today was to also come to the NX, we still wouldn't have heard about it today. I was entirely wrong!

watershed

Banned
I imagine this is going to be exactly like Ni No Kuni with the handheld version releasing first and the home console version many months later. And the NX version even later after that? Interesting stuff. SE really killed it today.

Faustek

This fucking sucked. My internet went down just as Horii started running around with the PS4 version. Saw like 30 seconds of town running and bam!!
Quick to my cellphone.. Nada, not even E/H. Call support. Do the call me back when it's my turn.
They call me back, they fixed so I should have 4G soon, so far E only, say it'll take until 6pm to fix broadband.

Well fuck you to.

Anyway, will rewatch later. DQ is back!!! <3

Shahed

Can't wait to play this and have good level design and dungeons in a big console game. FFXV I've gotten bad impressions from thus far. I have no reason to worry about Dragon Quest though

Tabris

i've actually rarely seen a multiplatform release been announced where the reaction was positivity all around. no bewilderment, or resentment towards the 'lesser version.' just good feelings.

I have resentment. There's too much games being developed at 1 time. I understand they are outsourcing this to a bunch of different development shops, and that's always been Enix's practice, but they should focus it up a bit more.

I'm saying this about all of SE. So many releases announced, and I know the calendar probably goes all the way to 2018 with all of these announcements, but still - I'm worried quality is going to suffer.

Rather they just focused on a 3DS or a PS4 DQ11.

KingBroly

Banned
i hope kyle bosman is scrambling for a feel-good episode, because all of this was aaaaalllllll right.

but first off, a few nitpicks:

1. xb1-only owners don't get anything. actually really weird considering what just happened at the very end, but i think the decision was, like all previous dq games, made with japan in mind (i am not jonesing for an xb1 release, just noting that not eeeveryone gets to enjoy what happened just now).
2. did we get a release date...?

but this was mostly awesome:

1. the ps4 version of the game looks really pretty and has that wide-open world that appealed to me with stuff like skies of arcadia, xenoblade chronicles, and dragon quest viii. the battle system might even be something different from previous dragon quest games.
2. the 3ds version actually looks really charming and it has a fantastic idea for the two screens. the thought and care that has been put into both was really sweet.
3. the nx gets its first game(s) announced when i'm pretty sure very few people expected the platform to be mentioned at all.
4. this comes after months and months of concern trolling and hand-wringing over what platform the game will come out on, and i think everyone just came away really excited for both versions.

i've actually rarely seen a multiplatform release been announced where the reaction was positivity all around. no bewilderment, or resentment towards the 'lesser version.' just good feelings.

You know what? You're right. They handled this extremely well and surprised at every turn.

3DS version, on the other hand, looks amazing and the use of both screens, D-Pad and Circle Pad is very clever!

It looks technically and artistically impressive to me. The only reason it looked lifeless was because there were no NPCs in the town yet.

Axass

1. xb1-only owners don't get anything. actually really weird considering what just happened at the very end, but i think the decision was, like all previous dq games, made with japan in mind (i am not jonesing for an xb1 release, just noting that not eeeveryone gets to enjoy what happened just now).

I honestly doubt there're many X1 owners who care about this. I mean, usually those buying an X1 are mostly in western games to begin with.

Top Bottom