• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

I think that Dragon Quest Heroes looks great for what it is, but I'm so glad they chose a style closer to VIII for the PS4 version. This has to come to the US. My faith in SE is riding on this.

VII 3DS, VIII 3DS, X PS4 and Theatrhythm are welcome too!

While the 3DS version is very cool and very novel, I'm a little more excited for the PS4 version because of what they can do with the DQ world. I've put time into DQX and it's an amazing game so I'm really hoping DQXI will capture that same feeling of really jumping head first and immersing yourself in there.

I'm very ready to see a DQ8 type experience again.

That said, I wonder how much "monsters" stuff they'll put in, given that is now very much its own thing.

I'm half expecting something that isn't that DQ

Jigorath

Banned
i hope kyle bosman is scrambling for a feel-good episode, because all of this was aaaaalllllll right.

but first off, a few nitpicks:

1. xb1-only owners don't get anything. actually really weird considering what just happened at the very end, but i think the decision was, like all previous dq games, made with japan in mind (i am not jonesing for an xb1 release, just noting that not eeeveryone gets to enjoy what happened just now).
2. did we get a release date...?

but this was mostly awesome:

1. the ps4 version of the game looks really pretty and has that wide-open world that appealed to me with stuff like skies of arcadia, xenoblade chronicles, and dragon quest viii. the battle system might even be something different from previous dragon quest games.
2. the 3ds version actually looks really charming and it has a fantastic idea for the two screens. the thought and care that has been put into both was really sweet.
3. the nx gets its first game(s) announced when i'm pretty sure very few people expected the platform to be mentioned at all.
4. this comes after months and months of concern trolling and hand-wringing over what platform the game will come out on, and i think everyone just came away really excited for both versions.

i've actually rarely seen a multiplatform release been announced where the reaction was positivity all around. no bewilderment, or resentment towards the 'lesser version.' just good feelings.

Yep everyone should be happy with this turned out. Well, almost everyone.

KaneU

I am blown away by the NX version announcement, Nintendo didn't even officially announce their next platform and there are already games officially announced for it...

Gloam

Nice morning so far. PS4 version of DQXI looks to move a lot like DQX which is not too surprising considering the staff behind it. Looks great though, can't wait to see how the battles look.

The 3DS game is something else! I was beaming looking at the top and bottom screen, a very clever idea. Excited for both.

Did they say anything with regard to the party members? Are they fixed characters or player created?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
While the 3DS version is very cool and very novel, I'm a little more excited for the PS4 version because of what they can do with the DQ world. I've put time into DQX and it's an amazing game so I'm really hoping DQXI will capture that same feeling of really jumping head first and immersing yourself in there.

You gonna start playing DQX again when the PS4 version comes out? Im kinda considering it lol. But then again I want to start playing FF14 again too D:

AniHawk

I have resentment. There's too much games being developed at 1 time. I understand they are outsourcing this to a bunch of different development shops, and that's always been Enix's practice, but they should focus it up a bit more.

I'm saying this about all of SE. So many releases announced, and I know the calendar probably goes all the way to 2018 with all of these announcements, but still - I'm worried quality is going to suffer.

Rather they just focused on a 3DS or a PS4 DQ11.

just. good. feelings.

Jaroof

So wait, they're making two different games, right?
Is it going to be worth double dipping?
Because I gladly will. I'm hoping it is.

Were the differences great enough in the DS and PS3 versions of Ni No Kuni to warrant buying both?

I played the PS3 version, but skipped the DS version.

Apenheul

They handled the announcement perfectly. I thought the PS4 version looked great, especially the overworld and I wonder what role jumping will have. Then they showed the 3DS version which wasn't just a downport but actually stood on it's own and the 2D/3D component is really clever and reminded of the Zenithian trilogy aesthetic somehow. We're getting two similar (but still different enough) versions of DQXI that both look unique enough for (probably) most fans to double dip.

Shouta

So NX actually not confirmed yet?

Technical wording is looking into it. Probably a high chance of it coming to NX but it's a matter of when NX is coming too, I think. So not really confirmed, I guess?

Seems more like Famitsu playing it safe. They did not hesitate at all when saying X and XI for NX at the event

I'll have to go back and check. I'm stupid tired.

Aeana

I have resentment. There's too much games being developed at 1 time. I understand they are outsourcing this to a bunch of different development shops, and that's always been Enix's practice, but they should focus it up a bit more.

I'm saying this about all of SE. So many releases announced, and I know the calendar probably goes all the way to 2018 with all of these announcements, but still - I'm worried quality is going to suffer.

Are you seriously complaining about too many games?
Tabris. Come on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i hope kyle bosman is scrambling for a feel-good episode, because all of this was aaaaalllllll right.

but first off, a few nitpicks:

1. xb1-only owners don't get anything. actually really weird considering what just happened at the very end, but i think the decision was, like all previous dq games, made with japan in mind (i am not jonesing for an xb1 release, just noting that not eeeveryone gets to enjoy what happened just now).
2. did we get a release date...?

but this was mostly awesome:

1. the ps4 version of the game looks really pretty and has that wide-open world that appealed to me with stuff like skies of arcadia, xenoblade chronicles, and dragon quest viii. the battle system might even be something different from previous dragon quest games.
2. the 3ds version actually looks really charming and it has a fantastic idea for the two screens. the thought and care that has been put into both was really sweet.
3. the nx gets its first game(s) announced when i'm pretty sure very few people expected the platform to be mentioned at all.
4. this comes after months and months of concern trolling and hand-wringing over what platform the game will come out on, and i think everyone just came away really excited for both versions.

i've actually rarely seen a multiplatform release been announced where the reaction was positivity all around. no bewilderment, or resentment towards the 'lesser version.' just good feelings.

Honestly after how the FF XIII series did on 360, a much better selling system in the west than PS3 yet a much worse performer on JRPG sales, they are lucky to get KH III and FF XV. They probably only did it to cover their bases if it totally buried the PS4 in the west. I'm sure it won't cost them any money but the real sales leader for those games will be the PS4, like most multiplatforms this gen.

DQ is an even more niche Japanese game than KH and FF, so it just compounds that. SE didn't announce Nier 2 or even FF VIIr for the platform. Nor have they done anything since another experimental game in Type Zero HD.

Amalthea

Banned
On their website it states that Toy Logic helped with developing SSMB Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising.
No wonder it looks so much better than DQ8 3DS.

deleted

Like literally one line

"DQX and DQXI in development for Nintendo's NX!"

Thanks. I'll wait and see then. There's not much to deduct from that statement. It's a good sign overall to have such a big game announced so early though.

The 3DS version looks great! and the bottom screen looks amazing. Should work really well and better than a normal map. Cinematic angle on top, navigating on bottom. I like it.
The cutscenes also look great already. They bring the Toriyama style to live in a good way.

Impressive announcements, leaving little to no room for console warrior bullshit. 3DS version looks to have a genius idea at its core, and the PS4 version, while clearly early, looked very pretty indeed. NX version on top of that was the cherry on the cake; although this is not the thread for it, it confirms and implies an awful lot of very interesting things about that platform.

This has been very well played by Squenix. Now to get the games out!

Shin-Ra

PS4
0gyMXJo.gif

a3BRL1C.gif

PehM23P.gif
Hnnnnnnng!

marmoka

Banned
So, the new DQ and DQX are the first games that are officially announced for the NX.

I wouldn't be surprised if other third parties start announcing their upcoming games for that new console.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Going to buy both versions:p (If the 3DS one comes over or if I ever get a Japanese 3DS) And if Sony localises it for the Asia market (in Chinese) I would buy that as well:)

Very smart move to have two versions of the game. I can also see them porting the 3DS version to mobile in the future and the PS4 version even further down the future when phones get even better.

Mr. RPG

I understand this and I kinda agree honestly.

Still really excited for Dragon Quest XI if it comes out here.

Top Bottom