• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden (3DS/JP) |OT|

Wow, wasn't expecting to hit something so sad so early on.

Just finished up at the tiny little island where everybody has been turned into stone from the rain. I figured we'd be able to save everyone like we have thus far, but nope. One little kid gets saved and everybody else is fucked. Especially the dude who crumbles to dust at the door of his house. It's even more bittersweet when you go to the island in your time, only to see that there is no town anymore, but rather a forest and an empty plain of sorts.

=/ I don't know why, but it hit me a little harder than I was expecting.

Since this is related to DQVII, I'll bring this up here.

About five years ago, I discovered this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLAVWf-N3c

Being the Koichi Sugiyama worshiper I am, I immediately noticed the part of the song at 1:20 sounds remarkably like a sped up more intense version of the Dragon Quest VII credits song, Triumphal Return. Particularly the part starting at 3:29.

http://youtu.be/vduwsy6BwAs?t=3m29s

Terrified at the prospect of my favorite video game composer being a plagiarist, I begin searching for the source of the audio for the Daicon III video. My first instinct was to search Sugiyama's own backlog, hoping that he had simply recycled the motif. I knew he did some anime soundtracks in the past, and I knew the Daicon III video came out in the early 80s, so I checked the soundtracks he worked on around that time.

That led me to the 1978 version of Cyborg 009. While searching through that shows' BGM, I came across the Daicon video's source song as well as another song. Apparently that melody is a major motif in that show.

The intense version is from Sortie:
http://youtu.be/0t_6_uHZEw8?t=2m52s

However, there is a version of the song on the show that is almost 100% like the Dragon Quest VII version.
http://youtu.be/U7WIHgSmwKE

So yeah, Sugiyama did not plagiarize. He simply re-used his own material 20+ years later

Wow, wasn't expecting to hit something so sad so early on.

Just finished up at the tiny little island where everybody has been turned into stone from the rain. I figured we'd be able to save everyone like we have thus far, but nope. One little kid gets saved and everybody else is fucked. Especially the dude who crumbles to dust at the door of his house. It's even more bittersweet when you go to the island in your time, only to see that there is no town anymore, but rather a forest and an empty plain of sorts.

=/ I don't know why, but it hit me a little harder than I was expecting.

Yeah, that one is great.

john tv

Yeah, that one is great.
That part is one of my favorite DQ scenarios ever. Absolutely loved it in the original.

Digging the overall pacing of the game so far (everything moves so smooth and quick!) but I have to admit, the 3D world feels a little janky at times. The camera often starts out looking at a wall (WTF?) and the pop-up on the world map is horrendous. Art direction is super important when you take DQ into 3D, but I feel like previous 3D DQ games (PS2 5, PS2 8, Wii 10) have had nicer art direction overall. It's not bad by any means, but it's not perfect either, and I feel like it really should be perfect.

Music is amazing, BTW. Had forgotten how good it was. 7 clearly happened before Sugiyama started losing it.

Aeana

That part is one of my favorite DQ scenarios ever. Absolutely loved it in the original.

Digging the overall pacing of the game so far (everything moves so smooth and quick!) but I have to admit, the 3D world feels a little janky at times. The camera often starts out looking at a wall (WTF?) and the pop-up on the world map is horrendous. Art direction is super important when you take DQ into 3D, but I feel like previous 3D DQ games (PS2 5, PS2 8, Wii 10) have had nicer art direction overall. It's not bad by any means, but it's not perfect either, and I feel like it really should be perfect.

Music is amazing, BTW. Had forgotten how good it was. 7 clearly happened before Sugiyama started losing it.
Go into the settings and select world camera type 2 and thank me later!

Aeana

The more I play, the more I miss the "talk" command in battle. It was neat in the original, if only for bosses.

Also, it was touched upon before release, but in this version, skills learned from advanced classes don't carry over through class changes. One of the Japanese wikis has been compiling lists of which carry over and which don't, so I'll link those here for people who would like that information. Abilities with X by them don't carry over, those with O do.

Restorative magic
Restorative skills
Offensive magic
Offensive skills
Miscellaneous magic
Miscellaneous skills - sadly, this one isn't really filled out all the way yet.

Aeana

I'm working through the Kraage scenario now. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't checked a map, but I'm pretty sure the
sacred tree's roots dungeon
's layout has changed from the original. Not that I'm complaining. Also, I've got to say that it's interesting reading other players saying that they are having to make do with fewer abilities because of the more stringent level caps on each area (and thus inability to grind out forever), and because of the lack of advanced class skills transferring over. Mainly because the way I've always played the game, I don't really end up turning anybody into a god regardless, so the major differences I'm seeing are the more easily accessible cool skills that used to be hybrid skills. For example, I learned inazuma at level 8 sailor, and that used to be a mage+sailor hybrid skill. It's a really great skill, and it's nice to have gotten it so easily.

Sigh.

I have fond memories of playing this over Thanksgiving 2001. I re-purchased it last summer but can't bring myself to play it on the hopes of the 3DS version being localized.

I did never make it that far past Dharma...

Listening to the podcast right now. I do hope you get the localization gig too!

Toth

Is there anyway they could reuse the current PSX translation for this game? Yes it needs to be cleaned up and new scenes would need to be translated but given the massive amount of text, it would certainly reduce the amount of time needed for a fresh translation

Aeana

Is there anyway they could reuse the current PSX translation for this game? Yes it needs to be cleaned up and new scenes would need to be translated but given the massive amount of text, it would certainly reduce the amount of time needed for a fresh translation

I don't think it would be a good idea. The original DQ7 translation is known for being literal, but that isn't actually true. Quite a few liberties were taken with the original translation - some lines were added that weren't there originally at all. A great example of this is the little kid in Rexwood, Patrick. He is so much more verbose in the English version, and says all kinds of things that weren't in the original Japanese script. But despite this, it's still poorly edited and the style doesn't suit the new style of DQ translations, so redoing it is pretty much the only way to achieve something that's high quality and faithful.

randomkid

That's interesting, I wonder if the Japanese text has been livened up as well compared to the PSX original. Like not just new party chat additions, but sorta modern-day line reworkings of the kind that would be needed in America.

I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of a puzzle dungeon in the beginning like in the original. Not really a fan of the footwork they give you instead; might as well have just opened the door right there.

Aeana

Man. :(
I'm all bummed out. DQ7's vignettes can be so sad.

Link to spoilery screenshot. :(
It says:
"Here I lay, watching over your garden from now to eternity." It's the completion of the herb garden arc, and it just brings me down every time. :

I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of a puzzle dungeon in the beginning like in the original. Not really a fan of the footwork they give you instead; might as well have just opened the door right there.

I agree. They took out something that was interesting, at the very least from an atmospheric standpoint, and replaced it with something tedious

Aeana

Oh, hey, when you get to
the Gracos section, can you let me know if you get locked in that world like in the PSX version?
Because that was super annoying if you didn't have the Shepherd's woolguard.

No,
once the flood happens, you can miraculously still use the portal back to the present

Aeana

Initially, I was bummed out about what they did with the advanced classes, making it so skills don't carry over. But what I didn't know is that they dramatically expanded the skills that advanced classes get, now. Dramatically. Many of them learn kabuff and insulatle, 天地雷鳴士 (aka summoner, I really don't know what a good translation of this would actually be)learns hustle dance and moonsault, among many other things. There's definitely no worry about not having access to some of the skills that were really good but on mid-tier classes, when switching to the higher level ones.

That said, I think this does create a new situation. Any of the mid-tier jobs that do not unlock upper-tier jobs are now most likely useless. You can't keep the skills you learn on them, and leveling them won't lead to anything, so I wonder about that. For example, magic knight... doesn't lead to anything. I wonder, what's the point of it now? Perhaps there's an answer to this that I'm overlooking.

Are there spells/skills that mid-tier classes learn that top tier classes don't? Particularly the mid-tiers that dead end, like Magic Knight?

Aeana

Are there spells/skills that mid-tier classes learn that top tier classes don't? Particularly the mid-tiers that dead end, like Magic Knight?
Yes, but they don't carry over anymore. The only abilities that carry over are those learned by lower-level classes and some monster classes.

Gloam

So is there anyone actually playing this besides me? :

I am! Just got the equipment together on the first island and ready to start the adventure proper. So far the music is the most impressive aspect of the remake - really great stuff. I feel that the opening section loses a little of its slow-burn charm from the original, having said that it's nice to get into the meat and potatoes quicker this time around.

I was also having the camera issues that a few people talked about, but switching to the 2nd camera option really cleared things up, thanks for the heads up!

Yes, but they don't carry over anymore. The only abilities that carry over are those learned by lower-level classes and some monster classes.

Yeah, I know from your other posts. Just trying to figure out an advantage to staying in a particular midtier class.

Initially, I was bummed out about what they did with the advanced classes, making it so skills don't carry over. But what I didn't know is that they dramatically expanded the skills that advanced classes get, now. Dramatically. Many of them learn kabuff and insulatle, 天地雷鳴士 (aka summoner, I really don't know what a good translation of this would actually be)learns hustle dance and moonsault, among many other things. There's definitely no worry about not having access to some of the skills that were really good but on mid-tier classes, when switching to the higher level ones.

That said, I think this does create a new situation. Any of the mid-tier jobs that do not unlock upper-tier jobs are now most likely useless. You can't keep the skills you learn on them, and leveling them won't lead to anything, so I wonder about that. For example, magic knight... doesn't lead to anything. I wonder, what's the point of it now? Perhaps there's an answer to this that I'm overlooking.

Don't you get permanent stat boosts as mastery bonuses in this?

Aeana

How does this remake improve on playability? Is the game faster? Is the world smaller so travel is less if an issue? Is the class system less grindy? Do you gain access to classes sooner?

The game is about the same speed. The original was hella fast, so that's fine.
World is... hard to compare, because the world map is a totally different perspective. The world map areas aren't that large though.
The class system could absolutely be called "less grindy," yes. It takes fewer battles to rank up in every class across the game, and it no longer has the concept of hybrid skills, which means you don't have to go fight a bunch of battles when you change classes to "make up" just to get to the point where a hybrid skill can be learned. The game actually inhibits grinding classes, because the effective level of every area in the game (i.e., the maximum level you can be and still get credit toward your class for battles in that area) has been reduced.
You don't gain access to the class system any sooner than in the original.

Celine

The game is about the same speed. The original was hella fast, so that's fine.
World is... hard to compare, because the world map is a totally different perspective. The world map areas aren't that large though.
The class system could absolutely be called "less grindy," yes. It takes fewer battles to rank up in every class across the game, and it no longer has the concept of hybrid skills, which means you don't have to go fight a bunch of battles when you change classes to "make up" just to get to the point where a hybrid skill can be learned. The game actually inhibits grinding classes, because the effective level of every area in the game (i.e., the maximum level you can be and still get credit toward your class for battles in that area) has been reduced.
You don't gain access to the class system any sooner than in the original.
Nice.

Can't wait!

Deeku

Only played a bit, got to my first battle last night! Already been said, but the music is sooo great!

Also, playing this game gives me a slight headache/ eyestrain for some reason. I'm not really sure why... maybe it's a calling for me to get a LL..:eek:

After catching up to where I was before (and beyond), I'm really kind of disappointed with the beginning in a way. Yes, the pacing is tighter, it feels less aimless, and you get to fight battles sooner. But I think the original was able to create the sense of a mysterious temple with a real sense that when you finally got to the lithographs, you had truly uncovered something deeper within that dungeon. Footwork around the island to pick up the armor, etc isn't satisfying. And I'm also disappointed the litograph area is now relegated to menu's. I preferred the whole ... physically moving around thing. And that's pretty much as far as I can compare (game froze at the bottom of the mine). It's still good though and I'm enjoying it.

A few other things:

I now understand why Lufia is a DQ clone. It very much is.

The sense of adventure is almost as strong as Grandia.

I knew about the new battle perspective, but seeing monsters on the map was a pleasant surprise.

Totally made a stupid mistake last night and forgot to grab one of the lithograph stones. Spent the next hour wandering around trying to figure out where I accidentally overlooked an item.

I'm an idiot.

Aeana

Totally made a stupid mistake last night and forgot to grab one of the lithograph stones. Spent the next hour wandering around trying to figure out where I accidentally overlooked an item.

I'm an idiot.
Hmm?

Open the menu. せんれき→つぎのせきばん and you'll get a pretty good hint about where to look.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Man. :(
I'm all bummed out. DQ7's vignettes can be so sad.

Link to spoilery screenshot. :(
It says:
"Here I lay, watching over your garden from now to eternity." It's the completion of the herb garden arc, and it just brings me down every time. :

You know, I've always wondered if this song by Jaytech, one of my favorite music producers, was named after Pepe's herb garden in DQ7. Or just a very strange coincidence.

Hmm?

Open the menu. せんれき→つぎのせきばん and you'll get a pretty good hint about where to look.

Lololol. I'm a moron. Thanks Aeana.

Played some more last night, but only ended up doing some light grinding to get Gabo up to speed with the rest of my peeps. Grinding doesn't really seem like it's required much in VII, but I'm kind of a sucker for it anyway. The game makes it so easy because of how fast it moves.

Looking forward to more incredibly sad stories. =(

Aeana

It's like FF5. Outfits change based on class and weapon changes based on what's equipped.

I'm glad, personally, because I got really tired of looking ridiculous in DQ9 because of the visible armor mismatching.

Hobbun

Wait, they made it in this version in that you don't keep the skills you learn? That is...bad.

I thought it was bad enough when you couldn't learn the spells in the PS1 version.

Aeana

Now I'm curious about the camera. What's the difference between the 2 options?

It only affects the world map. Type 1 allows the camera to clip through walls and trees and stuff. Type 2 will lift the camera up if it collides with something. It's really easy to get disoriented with type 1, especially when you've just exited an area.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
One thing that is driving me totally batshit is how the game seems to keep rearranging my party lineup on occasion. So I have to constantly go back and fix it.

Aeana

One thing that is driving me totally batshit is how the game seems to keep rearranging my party lineup on occasion. So I have to constantly go back and fix it.

Yes, it sucks. But it's not random. Basically, the game REALLY wants Maribel in slot 2. So I just got used to having her there. (._. ) It actually works out fine, because slot 2 is the safest spot in the group for mage characters, and that's what I have her as.

Top Bottom