• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders demo out now

Krammy

Never cared for Minecraft, but I've been eagerly awaiting the release of Dragon Quest Builders.

I've only exited the crypt so far, but everything already feels amazing. Attacking objects is snappy and fun, placing objects is easy, movement is buttery smooth, and I the frame rate has been rock solid (although apparently it goes down at some point, according to other posters here).

Very excited to experience this game and play it through on release.

Absolutely in love with this game, but yes, the controls are completely backwards compared to what they should be.

X should be jump.
O should be place item.
Square should be attack.
And triangle should be menu.

How games are continuing to be made in 2016 that don't allow you to button map is beyond me. Thankfully you can change button assignments at a system level on PS4, but you should have to.

Camera speed options would be nice too.

Ferr986

Maaaaan bummed that I fucked my save, wanted to improve the city but no way I go through the long ass tutorial again.

Why they don't have Minecraft autosave? :(

This sure is a pleasant game. Though it doesn't really scratch my Minecraft itch because third person makes building so limited.

It's a day 1 purchase though, still contemplating between PSV and PS4. The PSV port looks very nice.

I wish we had the option of paying a small fee that turns either version in a cross-buy/cross-save game.

bronk

Banned
Why cant i change the buttons its so annoying? Two games in a row I can't change inputs. This and Shin Megami. Anyways game is pretty fun and I enjoy the music and ofcourse the dragon quest sound effects.

Absolutely in love with this game, but yes, the controls are completely backwards compared to what they should be.

X should be jump.
O should be place item.
Square should be attack.

How games are continuing to be made in 2016 that don't allow you to button map is beyond me. Thankfully you can change button assignments at a system level on PS4, but you should have to.

Agreed 100%. I'm having a really hard time programming my brain to accept that O jumps and X opens the menu. It just feels so wrong. That's really the only gripe I have about the game. I absolutely love everything else about it.

Unknown?

X should be jump.
O should be place item.
Square should be attack.

The jumping and placing got me at first too but it took me less than five minutes for it to become second nature. It's fine how it is.

bronk

Banned
Agreed 100%. I'm having a really hard time programming my brain to accept that O jumps and X opens the menu. It just feels so wrong. That's really the only gripe I have about the game. I absolutely love everything else about it.
I also agree here and whats worse when I map my buttons this way on a system level it keeps putting jump to square and I want it on x damnit. Its not accepting inputs right or something. I put triangle to square and when I back out its set to x. Whatever guess ill just learn dumb game controls.

Nvmd my brain is broken and button mapping is a difficult task for me apparently lol

Blah, I've done as much I can really do in the demo...gotta wait til the full release now >_< I wanna keep going, and make bigger things, but can't.

X should be jump.
O should be place item.
Square should be attack.

Pretty much this. I eagerly await this game and I probably will still get it, I hope that there's an option (I'll probably check to see if theres a way in the menus) to remap the controls. It's utterly frustrating as someone who's played a ton of minecraft on console.

Outside of that, I think it's really beautiful, has great music and is pretty much what I expected it to be. I think I'll get this Day One.

Prelude.

So how do you zoom in and out on Vita? I zoomed out somehow and don't know how to pull it back in.
Look up until the camera bumps into the ground and gets closer. It's kinda weird. If there's another way I didn't find it.
You reset the view by touching the screen btw.

IpsoFacto

As someone who doesn't care about Minecraft, I have to admit this tickles my fancy. The cheery world of Dragon Quest is always a plus in my book.

I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one having trouble with the controls, I'm also adding blocks when I supossed to jump. And other weird actions.

It's not just the building aspects of Minecraft, there's a bit of Tower Defense gameplay in there too. I'm also getting something of an Animal Crossing / Harvest Moon vibe out of the game. Which could be interesting...

That's good to know , I just want to get into the controls and feel of the game. I don't want to get too deep into the demo's story only to start all over again when the full game comes out.

Definitely, that's a pet hate of mine. I played an hour or so when I played the jp demo but this time I've just filled around a little, I know I'm d already. Mostly just been comparing the two versions.

Really enjoying this which is surpising since I don't like minecraft that much. Unfortunately after playing the demo I had to change my mind on what version to get between my ps vita and my ps4. I notice when doing the mushroom quest that there is a huge difference in LOD between the ps4 and ps vita. Along with the somewhat more difficult camera controls on the ps vita I have to go with the ps4 version. Here is an example of the difference in LOD between the ps vita and the ps4 versions:

PS4 (specifically the mushrooms you can see on the other side of the shore):
29347193314_69275b147b_o.png

PS Vita:
29347193874_e672e72dc3_o.jpg

PS Vita (You have to get a lot closer to see the mushroom):
29347193974_dcbc40ab8b_o.jpg

29347193924_2372be32df_o.jpg

PS Vita (How far you are from where you can see the mushrooms on PS4):
29347193914_89c08ff0e1_o.jpg

Khreo

Neo Member
Got to the end, took my time with it actually. Surprised how much time i spent just dinking around considering the hours I've put into Minecraft in my life. If anyone out there, like me, played Minecraft and dreamed about an RPG overlay then i think this is it! Really, really enjoyed it. Then again i enjoy DQ and Minecraft as separate entities so it was basically a forgone conclusion for me. Will buy.

N° 2048

Really enjoying this which is surpising since I don't like minecraft that much. Unfortunately after playing the demo I had to change my mind on what version to get between my ps vita and my ps4. I notice when doing the mushroom quest that there is a huge difference in LOD between the ps4 and ps vita. Along with the somewhat more difficult camera controls on the ps vita I have to go with the ps4 version. Here is an example of the difference in LOD between the ps vita and the ps4 versions:

Thanks for this. Still deciding which to go with :/

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I've always wanted to like Minecraft but the aimlessness of it and first person view has been a turn off. Was looking forward to this and I loved what I played of it. Stopped after 30 minutes though because I'm not a fan of tutorials and am not looking forward to having to do it a second time for the full game.

halfbeast

Banned
I'm guessing the end of the demo is by not getting to builder level 2. or you can get to level 2 and I'm doing something wrong?

Cultural Leet

Neo Member
Can you build roofs in this game? Just about every player-built village screenshot I have seen has roofless buildings. And can you dig straight down for several blocks or are you limited?

Can you build roofs in this game? Just about every player-built village screenshot I have seen has roofless buildings. And can you dig straight down for several blocks or are you limited?

You can, but it isn't required or even recommended since the camera doesn't exactly play nice with it.

rFNDamL.jpg

When you go inside houses with a roof, the camera doesn't automatically swoop down to where you can see yourself inside. You have to manually zoom in, which is a bit of a pain.

I'm guessing the end of the demo is by not getting to builder level 2. or you can get to level 2 and I'm doing something wrong?

You can get to level 2, which is not the end of the demo. In fact, the demo doesn't abruptly end, forcing you back to the title screen; instead, there's a message that will let you know you can't move forward with a particular quest, but you're free to keep roamning around and building stuff with your limited inventory.

Roldan

The Vita version is actually coming to the west. Color me surprised!

Just started the demo on the portable, and it looks like an interesting fit for it. Unfortunately, it's not 544p, but that was to be expected. Also, LOVING the classic DQ soundtrack.

Will check PS4 version later.

X should be jump.
O should be place item.
Square should be attack.

I came in here to say exactly this and I agree 100%. What were they thinking? They may as well have me flip my light switch for the menu and flush my toilet to jump. It's horrible.

Dezzy

I just got to the end of the demo on PS4, it took me a couple hours. I thought it was a pretty cool game. Nothing amazing, but certainly enjoyable and I can see myself letting hours slip by without noticing while playing. I have it pre-ordered and I'll keep it that way.

I did have a few issues though. The button layout sucks, and isn't changeable. There's no single button that let's you strafe to place blocks easily. You can use L1 and R1 at the same time to do it, but you have to let go to stack them automatically like it does normally.
Finally, it feels like you're swinging a toothpick, because your attack range is super small.

Still, I enjoyed my time and I look forward for the full game. And hey, it's always worth supporting Dragon Quest in the west.

Edit: Oh, I forgot we can change button mappings on the actual PS4, but is that system wide?

I just got to the end of the demo on PS4, it took me a couple hours. I thought it was a pretty cool game. Nothing amazing, but certainly enjoyable and I can see myself letting hours slip by without noticing while playing. I have it pre-ordered and I'll keep it that way.

I did have a few issues though. The button layout sucks, and isn't changeable. There's no single button that let's you strafe to place blocks easily. You can use L1 and R1 at the same time to do it, but you have to let go to stack them automatically like it does normally.
Finally, it feels like you're swinging a toothpick, because your attack range is super small.

Still, I enjoyed my time and I look forward for the full game. And hey, it's always worth supporting Dragon Quest in the west.

Edit: Oh, I forgot we can change button mappings on the actual PS4, but is that system wide?

It is.

neoemonk

Throwing this in spoilers just in case but I'm wondering
if this game takes place after an alternate ending where the hero from DQ I accepts the Dragonlord's offer.

I haven't followed too closely so maybe it's general knowledge.

Top Bottom