• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II |OT| Alas, Thou Art getting a Switch Port Hero

So side Quest 32, I have to kill 5 lizzards with a mage in the group, I have Jessica and it doesn't count.

I thought those quests meant that the main character had to be a Mage? I could be wrong though, I only did one and it required a Priest which my main character already was.

Linkura

So side Quest 32, I have to kill 5 lizzards with a mage in the group, I have Jessica and it doesn't count.

Need you or the other hero to be a mage. When they say a class, they mean either you or the other hero in that class.

About 25 hours in, misc notes:
1. That difficulty spike I talked about doesn't last the whole game. So I'd definitely say it was a spike. It gets easier after a few hours post-spike.

2. They buffed Maya up the ying yang and now she's amazing. I main her now. They nerfed Terry and now he sucks.

3. Party is now Teresa, Maya, Jessica, Torneko. Jessica is a good healer and good crowd control- before her, I used Gabo. Torneko's healing is great when you beef it up and the MP cost is very low. My husband says he's also good at evasion with tough bosses but I haven't had to use him in that capacity yet.

4. Story is a joke and I can see why my husband skipped the cutscenes in the Japanese version. ~20 hours in:
Male hero literally says that we still need to worry about that seer in a black robe, but lol not our problem right now so let's party!!!
WAT

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I can't create a multiplayer lobby... And apparently it's a widespread issue.

Come on, SE.

LordKasual

Banned
Bought this game yesterday with a friend on impulse.

This shit is really fun. I did not expect it to be this solid.

Problem though, it crashes 100% of the time on startup on my desktop (Windows 7). Anyone else having this issue?

Skulldead

This game is way more fun then the previous game by a long shot. I can't wait for post-game content, thing will get brutal if the difficulty spike is like the first game. Wanted monster + some of the mini bosses creature are no joke.

Got 1 little question here:

I got my Thief to level 20, but the quest that suppose to appear to get that key don't seem to appear Story spoiler here :
I just take back the main city from the Darkness monster
. This is normal ? or i'm missing another pre-requirement ?

Lanrutcon

This game is way more fun then the previous game by a long shot. I can't wait for post-game content, thing will get brutal if the difficulty spike is like the first game. Wanted monster + some of the mini bosses creature are no joke.

I got my Thief to level 20, but the quest that suppose to appear to get that key don't seem to appear Story spoiler here :

Take back
Zebion
, then talk to an NPC at the back of the Church there. That will get you going. Obviously, be a level 20+ Thief.

Raw64life

The advertising campaign for this game has consisted entirely of the DQ Twitter account sending 1, 2 at the most tweets out per day about the game. Should be no surprise the game is dead.

I'm about 10 hours in and enjoying it quite a bit, although I'm not a fan of the halfbaked class system. I haven't played it in a few days thanks to Mario Kart but I'll be getting back into it soon enough.

Cornbread78

The advertising campaign for this game has consisted entirely of the DQ Twitter account sending 1, 2 at the most tweets out per day about the game. Should be no surprise the game is dead.

I'm about 10 hours in and enjoying it quite a bit, although I'm not a fan of the halfbaked class system. I haven't played it in a few days thanks to Mario Kart but I'll be getting back into it soon enough.

Uggh, promote the damn game already...

Linkura

I can't create a multiplayer lobby... And apparently it's a widespread issue.

Come on, SE.

Square Enix NA doesn't care about Dragon Quest.
a_flashback_kanye2_150827.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

Wait, you have to be level 20 in Thief to get the fucking key to unlock locked chests? WHAT THE FUCK. I was wondering why my husband said he beat the whole game without figuring out how to unlock the chests.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Story progress question.

About to go do the thing with the twin kings after freeing the city, please tell me this is no where near the end. This feels so short compared to part 1 if thats the case

Linkura

Story progress question.

About to go do the thing with the twin kings after freeing the city, please tell me this is no where near the end. This feels so short compared to part 1 if thats the case

You're nowhere near the end.

Edit: Just checked my husband's file, took him nearly 50 hours to complete the game and wasn't anywhere near platting it or anything. As I said, he didn't even get the key to unlock locked chests.

At 10 hours I'm still really digging this. Been switching between Teresa as monk and Desdemona.

It's got me thinking, why don't we have Final Fantasy Musou? Dissidia, but that's really not the same. I think I'd really dig mowing through mooks in a lite action battle system with Edgar's tools or Fang's spear or Cloud's blade.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You're nowhere near the end.

Edit: Just checked my husband's file, took him nearly 50 hours to complete the game and wasn't anywhere near platting it or anything. As I said, he didn't even get the key to unlock locked chests.
Wew I'm glad, also you get that from having a level 20 thief and talking to a specific person lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
At 10 hours I'm still really digging this. Been switching between Teresa as monk and Desdemona.

It's got me thinking, why don't we have Final Fantasy Musou? Dissidia, but that's really not the same. I think I'd really dig mowing through mooks in a lite action battle system with Edgar's tools or Fang's spear or Cloud's blade.

Goodness, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Bladenic

Wew I'm glad, also you get that from having a level 20 thief and talking to a specific person lol

Yeah same, I'm right before the city part you mentioned and I felt strangely close to the end even though
Alena and Kyril just joined
Probably more of the halfway mark. Ive played like 27 hours I think, so this should end up longer than the first game. But I haven't played it in a few days due to Persona 5 (which I took a break from for this game lmao). Once I finish that I'll get back to this.

Are you guys enjoying this game more than Persona 5?
Also who's down for some online co-op?!

Personally, yes. I have never really liked Persona though, however I have liked 5 a bit more than the past ones, but at dungeon 4, and I am already pretty bored with it.

Impulsor

Is this one longer than the first game? I got burnt out with the first one but I really feel like getting this.

gblues

Banned
Has anyone been able to get the DLC on PS4? I checked PS store under "addons" but it wasn't listed. I don't see anything in-game.

Has anyone been able to get the DLC on PS4? I checked PS store under "addons" but it wasn't listed. I don't see anything in-game.
The preorder DLC? You just register the code and download it then right on the startup menu you can choose to receive it, though you don't actually get it until you reach the hub city.

gblues

Banned
The preorder DLC? You just register the code and download it then right on the startup menu you can choose to receive it, though you don't actually get it until you reach the hub city.

No the stuff they just announced on Twitter. The first of them is supposed to be available today.

gblues

Banned
I'm not even sure it's that.

I ran into an NPC outside the inn that gave me a quest chain that involved Torneko. I think it was the "DLC" quest ("The Way To His Heart").

I put DLC in quotes because I don't think it downloaded anything--the quest is probably on a timer unlock.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not even sure it's that.

I ran into an NPC outside the inn that gave me a quest chain that involved Torneko. I think it was the "DLC" quest ("The Way To His Heart").

I put DLC in quotes because I don't think it downloaded anything--the quest is probably on a timer unlock.

There was an update patch

I just hit the mission where the three armies are working together on a map with three branches and I have to defend the king.
Died. Horribly.
Is this the difficulty spike?

Rented this on a whim and I'm surprised to find out it's pretty decent and has coop.

Normally not a fan of Omega force games but this and attack on Titan are alright.

Reknoc

The stage where Alena and Kiryl are introduced is SO LONG. I thought it was multiple stages that you do in a row for dramatic effect but no! By the time I'm at the last part I'm out of leaves.

What makes it better than the first game?

BHK3

Banned
How much better is it compared to the first game? I didn't play too much of the 1st but I heard every other mission is tower defense which I personally don't mind.

Linkura

I just hit the mission where the three armies are working together on a map with three branches and I have to defend the king.
Died. Horribly.
Is this the difficulty spike?

No, I didn't have trouble with that one tbh.

A lot of those protection missions are luck-based. Whether or not you succeed is probably 95% based on whether or not you get good sentry monster minion drops and whether or not the AI decides to try to kill itself. One of the other missions, can't remember if it's before or after this one, you gotta protect some general. First time I played it, he was constantly going up into monsters' faces and I was getting shitty sentry drops. Failed that pretty badly. Second time I played it, he stayed back the whole time and didn't engage the enemy, and I got some nice drops, and the mission was a joke.

Just hope you get some good sentry drops and place them next to the king, and hope that the AI doesn't try to kill itself. Also, the sabrecat coins are fantastic for getting across the map quickly. Make sure that if you leave the king to assist the others/fight mawkeepers that he has some good sentries for protection. Then when you're done with that, go back to him to check on him and cleanup. Then repeat.

The difficulty spike for me was them throwing many high-level enemies at you constantly while exploring a couple of the field maps.

No, I didn't have trouble with that one tbh.

A lot of those protection missions are luck-based. Whether or not you succeed is probably 95% based on whether or not you get good sentry monster minion drops and whether or not the AI decides to try to kill itself. One of the other missions, can't remember if it's before or after this one, you gotta protect some general. First time I played it, he was constantly going up into monsters' faces and I was getting shitty sentry drops. Failed that pretty badly. Second time I played it, he stayed back the whole time and didn't engage the enemy, and I got some nice drops, and the mission was a joke.

Just hope you get some good sentry drops and place them next to the king, and hope that the AI doesn't try to kill itself. Also, the sabrecat coins are fantastic for getting across the map quickly. Make sure that if you leave the king to assist the others/fight mawkeepers that he has some good sentries for protection. Then when you're done with that, go back to him to check on him and cleanup. Then repeat.

The difficulty spike for me was them throwing many high-level enemies at you constantly while exploring a couple of the field maps.
Ah, okay. I tried to keep cycling and sabercatting but I'll just have to move faster next time!
The field map right before the mission is challenging. It's just groups of hackasauruses everywhere. One or two is fine, maybe even three, but two the three then another two the three more in a short space while fighting regular mobs is a bit much.

Linkura

The field map right before the mission is challenging. It's just groups of hackasauruses everywhere. One or two is fine, maybe even three, but two the three then another two the three more in a short space while fighting regular mobs is a bit much.

Yeah, that's the first area that I'd consider part of the spike. There's another area coming up with a bunch of killing machines and marauders doing the same thing. After that though, it calms down.

Man, going for the 100% and Platinum looks really tedious, what a shame.

Yup, no way I'm platting this one.

Last night, I finally found out why my husband considers Torneko a boss-killer. Basically, his dodge move has invincibility frames. If you do it constantly, you're nearly invincible. Plus if you ram at the enemy while doing it, it slightly damages the enemy, filling up your tension meter. Probably the most foolproof way to beat some of the more bullshit boss fights.

Linkura

Beat it. About 38.5 hours on the clock after credits. Some of that was idling, so I'd wager most people will beat it in 35-45. My husband had 48 as I said, but I bet a lot of that was actually idling now that I've beat it myself. Of course, there's plenty of postgame to do after plus New Game+.

Bladenic

Seems nobody has gotten the platinum yet. Noticed the weapon and party skills one are at 0%. Wonder if the platinum grind is worse in this one than the first game.

Top Bottom