• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II |OT| Alas, Thou Art getting a Switch Port Hero

Linkura

Seems nobody has gotten the platinum yet. Noticed the weapon and party skills one are at 0%. Wonder if the platinum grind is worse in this one than the first game.

It looks fucking awful. I had my husband check the Japanese version- only 1.2% have platted it and the game has been out there much longer (about a year).

Lucreto

It looks fucking awful. I had my husband check the Japanese version- only 1.2% have platted it and the game has been out there much longer (about a year).

For me challenge accepted.

I am still waiting for the game to arrive. I think my postman lost it as it's a week late.

gblues

Banned
Man, the Great Divide is some bullshit. Big thanks to the randos who joined my game and did most of the heavy lifting ("genericblues" on PSN about 15 minutes ago in case it was any of you guys).

I'm about 20 hours in, but there's some grinding in there for getting all the classes leveled up in order to unlock the "for all classes" perks.

Gotta say, hearing all the DQ6 music is making me wanna replay it. Too bad I lost the DS cartridge.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Beat it. About 38.5 hours on the clock after credits. Some of that was idling, so I'd wager most people will beat it in 35-45. My husband had 48 as I said, but I bet a lot of that was actually idling now that I've beat it myself. Of course, there's plenty of postgame to do after plus New Game+.
Wow, that's a long playtime for this game. Unless I missed when playing the JP version something, my full playthrough archived here) was about ~23 hours and I did most of the quests until late game.
Maybe it's because I stuck with one class/weapon (if I remember right, it's been a while).

Btw., do you know how meaty the postgame is (including that DLC which the JP version got)? I was tired of marathoning the game when it came out, but I was recently thinking about maybe grabbing it again, depending on how much stuff is left to do, other than NG+.

Linkura

Wow, that's a long playtime for this game. Unless I missed when playing the JP version something, my full playthrough archived here) was about ~23 hours and I did most of the quests until late game.
Maybe it's because I stuck with one class/weapon (if I remember right, it's been a while).

Btw., do you know how meaty the postgame is (including that DLC which the JP version got)? I was tired of marathoning the game when it came out, but I was recently thinking about maybe grabbing it again, depending on how much stuff is left to do, other than NG+.

That's so strange. :O I'll admit I'm often distracted when I play.

No idea how meaty it is. I just finished and my husband jumped into New Game+. It's his turn to play tonight; I'll probably play some tomorrow.

Guymelef

Seems nobody has gotten the platinum yet. Noticed the weapon and party skills one are at 0%. Wonder if the platinum grind is worse in this one than the first game.

LOT worse.

I have Platinum in the first game and it was fun going for it, here... I don't think so...

Credo

Does anyone have any tips on how I can do more damage? I'm currently going through the frozen area on the way to Neverest, and it's taking me 5 to 6 full combos just to take down standard enemies. I'm a warrior now and am using the most upgraded sword I can buy, but it's not cutting it. What's the best damage dealing class for the main characters?

This feels like one of the worst musou games I've played because I don't feel powerful whatsoever. I've just barely been scraping by since the beginning, and it feels like over half the enemies are just damage sponges. I hate to quit on the game after getting this far, but I don't want to keep going if it continues like this. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong because I enjoyed the original DQ Heroes a lot.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does anyone have any tips on how I can do more damage? I'm currently going through the frozen area on the way to Neverest, and it's taking me 5 to 6 full combos just to take down standard enemies. I'm a warrior now and am using the most upgraded sword I can buy, but it's not cutting it. What's the best damage dealing class for the main characters?

This feels like one of the worst musou games I've played because I don't feel powerful whatsoever. I've just barely been scraping by since the beginning, and it feels like over half the enemies are just damage sponges. I hate to quit on the game after getting this far, but I don't want to keep going if it continues like this. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong because I enjoyed the original DQ Heroes a lot.
If you have only been using the main character and one class you are going to start to see a power drop off for them, the main characters are based around getting their classes to 12/20/ect because each class has a shared stat pool you can rank up on the botttom

As for damage overall, make sure you are using a character with defense down on the monsters and later on attack up for your party as well.

The snow area is a little misleading because the monkeys there basically have mini boss health as well.

For any robot foe you need to use lighting based attacks to stun them first.

Raw64life

Figured I'd make Teresa a sage since I'm going with gladiator. Turns out only the main character can get the extra classes. Would've been nice to know that earlier......

It took me a bit to get into this game but I spent a lot of time with it over the weekend and now it's clicking with me. The multiplayer is nice in a pinch. I just got to the part where
there's a big party and the king splits in 2 and fucks everyone's shit up

How's the metal slime hunting in this game? I've only seen one metal slime the entire game so far. Hoping that will change soon.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Figured I'd make Teresa a sage since I'm going with gladiator. Turns out only the main character can get the extra classes. Would've been nice to know that earlier.......

This isn't true at all, you just didn't level up her classes she needed for it.

Both of the cousins in my game have access to sage and gladiator

Raw64life

This isn't true at all, you just didn't level up her classes she needed for it.

Both of the cousins in my game have access to sage and gladiator

I got both priest and mage at level 20. What else do I need?

Similar to the advertising for this game, information on this is hard to come by even if you're looking for it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I got both priest and mage at level 20. What else do I need?

Similar to the advertising for this game, information on this is hard to come by even if you're looking for it.

Not sure, I just did the two quest to unlock sage and glad on my main and the cousin had both.

So unless you did both of the quest to unlock the extra classes on your main your cousin wont have it

If you are unsure which quest it is. Once you have priest and mage to 20 on your main a quest will pop up on the board asking for only your main character to venture out to a specific open map stage and kill 250 monsters in 15 minutes as a priest or mage.

Raw64life

Built up my main character's Martial Arts and then got the sidequest to become Gladiator.

So you can change both character's classes, but you MUST get to Level 20 with your main character first and complete the necessary side quest. Then afterwards you can also change the other character's class.

They do not explain this at all in the game. A lot of wasted XP for me as a result. I don't like the class system in DQ games in general, and I dislike it even more in this game.

Linkura

Built up my main character's Martial Arts and then got the sidequest to become Gladiator.

So you can change both character's classes, but you MUST get to Level 20 with your main character first and complete the necessary side quest. Then afterwards you can also change the other character's class.

They do not explain this at all in the game. A lot of wasted XP for me as a result. I don't like the class system in DQ games in general, and I dislike it even more in this game.

Fuck, as I said above, my husband BEAT THE GAME (Japanese version) and didn't know the advanced classes existed, and didn't know the thief's key existed and thus didn't open any of the locked chests. They don't explain jack shit.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
How exactly do you break the walls to access other areas in the very first Greena area? I know some of the special ! Marked ones like the tree need specific characters, but i'm at a loss how to break the rocks. Do they just come down later on in the story?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How exactly do you break the walls to access other areas in the very first Greena area? I know some of the special ! Marked ones like the tree need specific characters, but i'm at a loss how to break the rocks. Do they just come down later on in the story?

There are quest you take from the quest giver that breaks some barriers

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
For the thief key, you need a thief at level 20, then you talk to brute outside next to the nun after a certain point in the game the orb sell will have a blank spot between her orbs you select that and it unlocks the quest for the key.

Story spoilers
I dont know why I wasn't expecting the game to pull a DQ3 on me

Raw64life

Just beat the game in 22 hours. I thought there was gonna be more. Don't remember how long it took me to beat the DQH1 main story but I'm pretty sure it took me a lot longer. I was also expecting to get bombarded with a ton a post-game quests after beating the game and they give you.........two?

Also started hunting for metal king slimes and I haven't seen a single one yet. I looked online to see where they're most likely to spawn and I found people saying 3-4 different locations. I went through them all (and apparently Wednesday is "see more metal enemies" day) and nada. Seems like grinding them isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as it was in the first one.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just beat the game in 22 hours. I thought there was gonna be more. Don't remember how long it took me to beat the DQH1 main story but I'm pretty sure it took me a lot longer. I was also expecting to get bombarded with a ton a post-game quests after beating the game and they give you.........two?
I grabbed a used Japanese version to check out the post game and stuff added in patches. Tried it yesterday and there are a few party member specific quest chains that have been added later. You're right though, I expected a bit more.

Also started hunting for metal king slimes and I haven't seen a single one yet. I looked online to see where they're most likely to spawn and I found people saying 3-4 different locations. I went through them all (and apparently Wednesday is "see more metal enemies" day) and nada. Seems like grinding them isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as it was in the first one.

The nice thing is all metal slime varieties can drop a quicksilver key and you can use those to go to a dungeon that just has MKS and they can't run away. I think it has 6 or 8 in there. You do have to have everyone level 40 to go to the MKS one otherwise you can go to a LMS or regular MS one it's your choice.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When I jumped back into the post game a few days ago and started roaming the fields for some quest items, I remembered reading that when you clear the game, there are supposed to be super strong monsters hanging around all locations.

Sure enough, I found and defeated a few of them, though it took really long.
Does anyone know if there's a reason to hunt those things? I think the ones I killed didn't drop anything good. Are there quests based around them?

When I jumped back into the post game a few days ago and started roaming the fields for some quest items, I remembered reading that when you clear the game, there are supposed to be super strong monsters hanging around all locations.

Sure enough, I found and defeated a few of them, though it took really long.
Does anyone know if there's a reason to hunt those things? I think the ones I killed didn't drop anything good. Are there quests based around them?
There's a trophy for hunting every marked monster so if those strong guys count it might just be for the trophy.

Bog

Junior Ace
How's the co-op? I bought two copies to play on our 2 PS4s here. But if co-op is an afterthought, I'll just return it.

Raw64life

The nice thing is all metal slime varieties can drop a quicksilver key and you can use those to go to a dungeon that just has MKS and they can't run away. I think it has 6 or 8 in there. You do have to have everyone level 40 to go to the MKS one otherwise you can go to a LMS or regular MS one it's your choice.

Well my problem is I can't find any metal slimes at all. I have still seen exactly one regular metal slime the entire game. I spent close to an hour yesterday running around Blacka Pastures and Damned Dunes like an idiot looking for metal king slimes and got absolutely nothing. I feel like there must be some pre-requisite I haven't met or something.

In the DQH1 post game there was a free battle area where you could walk around the area in less than 5 minutes and find at least one MKS almost 100% of the time. And if you didn't, you could just reload the area. Unless I'm doing something wrong it seems way, way harder in this game. The post game is this is pretty disappointing. I enjoyed DQH1s post game quite a bit more.

How's the co-op? I bought two copies to play on our 2 PS4s here. But if co-op is an afterthought, I'll just return it.

I enjoyed using it. It's similar to Dark Souls. Kind of made some story missions a joke though since there's no level limit like in DS. Nothing stopping you from calling in level 99 players who can wipe out a boss in 30 seconds.

Linkura

The post game is this is pretty disappointing. I enjoyed DQH1s post game quite a bit more.

Yeah the post game in this is almost nonexistent, which is a huge reversal from the first game. There's like 2 post-game exclusive quests and that's it. Kinda disappointing.

dan2026

I tried the demo on PSN and this game seem bad, really bad.

Half the time your AI companions just stand around doing nothing.
And the enemy AI seems equally awful.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah the post game in this is almost nonexistent, which is a huge reversal from the first game. There's like 2 post-game exclusive quests and that's it. Kinda disappointing.
Well, there's always the free DLC. While character stories can probably be played before finishing the game, those special boss maps definitely sound like something requiring a very high level.

1upsuper

I tried the demo on PSN and this game seem bad, really bad.

Half the time your AI companions just stand around doing nothing.
And the enemy AI seems equally awful.

You want your companions to play the game for you? This is par for the course for any action game with party members.

Ferr986

Got this game gifted. Never had a musou although I played some of them at a friend's house.

Having fun and feels like this is best than the other musous I played because it shakes things up a bit with the open world areas. Complains so far are theHP spongey bosses and the AI is soooo bad. I did that random lvl 3 dungeon... lvl 3 my ass lol. Game is as charming as Builders too, I guess it's the DQ flavour (I only played VIII and Builders).

Also online is completely dead on PS4 :(

Cookie18

How is this game compared to the first? My wife and I are almost done with the first, we have had it since it came out but only just got around to playing it. We are really enjoying the first, it seems like there might be much more to this one though?

We aren't sure whether to get it on PS4 when we finish it this week or hold out for the Switch version. Any news on when that is due?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How is this game compared to the first? My wife and I are almost done with the first, we have had it since it came out but only just got around to playing it. We are really enjoying the first, it seems like there might be much more to this one though?

We aren't sure whether to get it on PS4 when we finish it this week or hold out for the Switch version. Any news on when that is due?
I enjoyed the second game a lot more than the first one. Mostly because of no forced tower defense like sections (I think there are only a few this time), but also because the sequel doesn't drag on for so long. I was done with the game around the time the musou gameplay started getting old.

Top Bottom