• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II |OT| Alas, Thou Art getting a Switch Port Hero

Ferr986

I wonder if it's a waste having the 2 heroes in your team. I want to level up both but honestly I'm not sure why, and I feel like I'm wasting a spot where I could have a side character (it doesn't help that the side characters seems more interesting).

Rayis

I downloaded the Switch demo off the Japanese Eshop and is disgusting, it performs awful undocked and looks like a 3DS game, a little better docked but still not good.

I wonder if it's a waste having the 2 heroes in your team. I want to level up both but honestly I'm not sure why, and I feel like I'm wasting a spot where I could have a side character (it doesn't help that the side characters seems more interesting).

I guess it depend if you are the sort of person who has to grind out all the levels and weapon proficiencies (like me). Side characters only have skill board and one weapon to raise, whereas each main character has 7 classes and 10 weapons.

Cookie18

I enjoyed the second game a lot more than the first one. Mostly because of no forced tower defense like sections (I think there are only a few this time), but also because the sequel doesn't drag on for so long. I was done with the game around the time the musou gameplay started getting old.

Thanks! It sounds like they fixed some of the things we disliked about the first.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks! It sounds like they fixed some of the things we disliked about the first.
That's exactly how DQH2 felt to me. Fixing most of my problems with the first game. Sure, there are a few new ones, but in general it felt like a huge improvement in almost any way. If you like DQH1 and it's not very fresh in your mind (since the combat feels almost the same), definitely give 2 a shot.

Ferr986

I guess it depend if you are the sort of person who has to grind out all the levels and weapon proficiencies (like me). Side characters only have skill board and one weapon to raise, whereas each main character has 7 classes and 10 weapons.

I don't care much about level up everything all but I want to use different characters, but that means others are left behind level wise lol I dunno if I'm gonna even need to have both heroes properly leveled up.

Right now just got the 2 sisters, Meena seems like a no brainer for your party as an AI. Maya seems more disposable for AI but fun to use yourself. Hassan seems the best DPS to have as an AI, atleast so far.

I don't care much about level up all but I want to use different characters, but that means others are left behind level wise lol

Right now just got the 2 sisters, Meena seems like a no brainer for your party as an AI. Maya seems more disposable for AI but also tons of funs to use yourself.

Characters still level up when not in the active party, however for the cousin they'll only level the job that they are assigned at that moment. So if they are set as a mage but they are in reserve, their mage level will go up and gain skill points but warrior, thief, priest, etc. won't.

So you only have to worry about the main characters' non-assigned jobs falling behind in levels, everything else will still progress, regardless of whether they are in the party or not.

Weapon proficiency however won't level up unless the character is in the party, but it's relatively easy to power-level, at least for the first few stars, especially against higher level enemies.

Ferr986

Characters still level up when not in the active party, however for the cousin they'll only level the job that they are assigned at that moment. So if they are set as a mage but they are in reserve, their mage level will go up and gain skill points but warrior, thief, priest, etc. won't.

So you only have to worry about the main characters' non-assigned jobs falling behind in levels, everything else will still progress, regardless of whether they are in the party or not.

Weapon proficiency however won't level up unless the character is in the party, but it's relatively easy to power-level, at least for the first few stars, especially against higher level enemies.

Oops, didn't notice characters level up while not being active lol

I guess the dungeons are a good place to grind proficiency, if I ever find another map other than the starter one lol Atleast I got some coop yesterday..

Raw64life

Played this game a bunch over the weekend. The online play is fun but it definitely takes a while to get a game going. Fortunately most of the time you can play the game while you're waiting. It usually didn't take too long to find people to do story missions, but for the dungeon maps it takes forever to find anybody doing the same dungeon as you.

After spending at least 5 hours in Blacka Pastures and Damned Dunes and coming across 1 liquid metal slime the entire time, I finally saw, and thankfully killed, a king metal slime. Not 2 minutes later, I ran into 2 metal king slimes at the same time, of which I was able to kill 1. So I went from seeing no metal king slimes for 5 hours to 3 metal king slimes in 5 minutes. Ridiculous. I'd love to know what the rhyme or reason is to how and when these things spawn.

I'm warming up to the postgame a bit more but it still seems inferior to DQH1s postgame, which is a shame since the core gameplay is better. I got to level 99 in DQH1, and given how much harder it is to find MKS in this game, I doubt I'll be doing the same for this one.

Also wish the story mode would've been longer as I like the cast in this game better than DQH1, mainly because it realizes that DQ4 has the best cast of any DQ and accordingly puts almost the entire cast in the game.

Ferr986

Changed the cousin from Warrior to Mage because why would I have both as warriors?
Turns out he's as dumb as a rock. He just stands there either guarding or throwing bubbles ._. he doesn't use, you know, the useful skills...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Changed the cousin from Warrior to Mage because why would I have both as warriors?
Turns out he's as dumb as a rock. He just stands there either guarding or throwing bubbles ._. he doesn't use, you know, the useful skills...
Typically the ai doesnt really use their abilities that's for you to shuffle to them and use their mp pools up while you are waiting for yours to go back up, this is why they added in the tag attack system overall
The abilities the ai will use regularly are debuffs/heals/and party wide buffs

So if you want your other character to be more helpful passively have them be a spear priest

eastx

I recently reviewed the PC version (but also played the PS4 version). Please check it out.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Review [Windows Central]

Reviewing the game has inpsired me to pick up the Japanese Vita version for cheap (shame it didn't get translated) and also start playing through the Dragon Quest games on my phone. I'm at the end of DQII right now, and eager to start on part III (which is where the job and party member switching systems came into the series). :)

Ferr986

Typically the ai doesnt really use their abilities that's for you to shuffle to them and use their mp pools up while you are waiting for yours to go back up, this is why they added in the tag attack system overall
The abilities the ai will use regularly are debuffs/heals/and party wide buffs

So if you want your other character to be more helpful passively have them be a spear priest

Thanks!

Yesterday I did the
Divide
battle (well, first round) and that showed me I need to shuffle between the characters more. I barely made it!

Necro900

I downloaded the Switch demo off the Japanese Eshop and is disgusting, it performs awful undocked and looks like a 3DS game, a little better docked but still not good.
Either you're never seen a 3DS game or you have and you're trolling

alemmon

Just bought this on the PS4 and I am loving it so far. Only a couple hours in and already I think the 2 main characters are more likable than the main ones from the first one.

Ferr986

These cool accessories I'm seeing in the medal shop, should I got some of them or they'll drop in story mode later?

Rayis

Either you're never seen a 3DS game or you have and you're trolling

I do have a 3DS and this game is obviously better looking but not by much, This is just a sloppy port, I love my Switch and I know it can do better than this, I at least hope they patch it to perform better cuz the game is pretty fun.

Raw64life

New patch out, multiplayer still not fixed for me.

They are going to fix this right?

What's been the problem with multiplayer?

It's been near impossible for me to find people for dungeon battles but I assumed that was just because nobody bought this game.

When I do manage to connect it's been perfect for me.

BahamutX83

Neo Member
I can't create lobbies at all. For either maps or story missions. I can join existing ones at least. I also get a lot of communication errors, but the latter might be from lack of players technically.

My understanding is that it's a fairly common issue.

I can't create lobbies at all. For either maps or story missions. I can join existing ones at least. I also get a lot of communication errors, but the latter might be from lack of players technically.

My understanding is that it's a fairly common issue.
I have exactly the same issue, can only join other people's games of which people only play on like two maps....

Been aiming for the platinum but it's a long old trek for some of the trophies. Killing all the marked monsters, getting all gear etc.

Ferr986

Those 2 guys from DQH1 looks way cooler than part2 heroes. And I wish Bianca was a regular (I like her design, even though I didn't play her game).

Was wondering why there's no V characters here...

Those 2 guys from DQH1 looks way cooler than part2 heroes. And I wish Bianca was a regular (I like her design, even though I didn't play her game).

Nah. DQ1 player characters were bland and annoying. 2's are leagues better.

Didn't play Bianca? She's like the most broken character next to Terry and both were crucial for post game content.

Ferr986

Didn't play Bianca? She's like the most broken character next to Terry and both were crucial for post game content.

I mean I didn't play DQ5, so I don't know anything about her. I also didn't play DQH1, so I don't know anything about the heroes from that game, or how the other characters were.

Tbh I only played DQ8 and Builders (both amazing games). This game wasn't even in my radar, but I got it as a gif, and I'm liking it so far (and I tend to get bored with Musous).

eastx

I started playing Dragon Quest Heroes II on Vita this week. Although it looks way less nice than on PS4, it's still a lot of fun to play on the go. Things will get confusing once I get past where I am in the English version, though. I can read some menus but figuring out objectives will get tricky.

DAB8Sa2VwAEtXmU.jpg:small

Bladenic

They removed both V reps from this game while adding nobody new. But there sure are tons of IV characters lmao.

heringer

Is the original game worth playing? I know the sequel is superior, but I didn't want to pay full price right now, so the much cheaper original game is tempting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is the original game worth playing? I know the sequel is superior, but I didn't want to pay full price right now, so the much cheaper original game is tempting.

I honestly like the tower defense set up of the original a bit more, would have loved more of that in dqh2

They removed both V reps from this game while adding nobody new. But there sure are tons of IV characters lmao.

Tbf the first game had the only two real reps V could have and their story sections were INSUFFERABLE

If any one game is getting shafted it's VII imo. As many characters to pull from as IV but it got 0 in the first game and only 2 here. and to top it off they put Maribel in only to give her Isla's lame boomerang moveset from the first game

13ruce

Banned
Got the game last week after playing the demo also boightvii and viii on 3ds and got dragon quest builders.

I played ix on ds as a child/early teen and loved it to death so much that i got all dlc and played the game 100% through.

The series has a kind of charm only Zelda and Kigdom Hearts ignite with me and that's very cool.

Cant wait to play heroes 2 and the othwrs fully and might buy 1 later since it is on sale.on psn regulary. I looked at the how long to beat them all icluding a ix replay and all games combined clock around 300-400 hours.... Well :p i don't mind that.

Anyway now 100% on topic the demo is awesome and i love that the world is open i hope hyrule warriors 2 takes note from that and adds dungeons, open world etc. Cuz it really makes the musou genre alot more fun imo. I tried the demo cuz i liked dragon quest and i liked hyrule warriors but i dislike the original mosou series. So that's why i was hesitant at first but after fully playing the demo i was sold and in a Dragon Quest rush thats why i also bought builders, vii and viii 3ds:p also had dragon quests swords on wii lol,it was not too bad when i was young i enjoyed it, t was 5 euros at a local supermarked lol.

Jeez this series has so much charm it does help that the dragon ball anime art director designs the characters. And the monsters are kinda unique looking just like the enemies in Kingdom Hearts or Nier Automata they have their own charm.

heringer

Anyone planning on getting Switch version? Apparently it has framerate issues but it got better in the final version.

Did SE even announced if they will bring the Switch version? If it's $60 it might be worth it considering it's both games in one cart.

eastx

Tbf the first game had the only two real reps V could have and their story sections were INSUFFERABLE

If any one game is getting shafted it's VII imo. As many characters to pull from as IV but it got 0 in the first game and only 2 here. and to top it off they put Maribel in only to give her Isla's lame boomerang moveset from the first game

Not to mention renaming Gabo to Ruff, which is a much worse name (though I see the intent).

Dragon Quest II, which I'm currently playing on Android, is also underrepresented. As the first game with real characters for party members, it would've been cool to see them in Heroes.

Not to mention renaming Gabo to Ruff, which is a much worse name (though I see the intent).

I kinda wish Dragon Quest would just get with every other JRPG series and use standardized names lol.

but here we are still with these awkwardly phoneticized accents and random name changes. Gabo to Ruff I can kinda sorta understand, but the MC names and Julieta to Isla in the first game just don't make any sense to me.

It's weird to see the series try to remain so consistent with an approach that has failed to gain it any real attention in the west.

gblues

Banned
I kinda wish Dragon Quest would just get with every other JRPG series and use standardized names lol.

but here we are still with these awkwardly phoneticized accents and random name changes. Gabo to Ruff I can kinda sorta understand, but the MC names and Julieta to Isla in the first game just don't make any sense to me.

It's weird to see the series try to remain so consistent with an approach that has failed to gain it any real attention in the west.

Do you think that using localized names (as opposed to using the same names in all markets) is what is keeping Dragon Quest from getting attention?

The only really awkward phoneticization was Ragnar's chapter in the DS DQ4 remake, but I find it's a really effective way to provide the social class cues without resorting to honorifics. DQ has fantastic localization across the entire series, with the unfortunate exception of PSX Dragon Warrior 7 which had sloppy editing and questionable translations.

I'll give you Gabo => Ruff though. I renamed him back to Gabo as soon as I could in DQ7 3DS. :)

Top Bottom