• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |Import OT| - Warriors worth a thousand slimes

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
UuhRjab.png

tcrm4MC.png

79fed71b0e1ff2cdf0a48d6c92a659bd.jpg

Source - Square-Enix EU blog

qrV3RXI.png

Title: Dragon Quest Heroes: The Dark Dragon and Castle of Yggdrasil
Platform: PlayStation 4 / PlayStation 3
Genre: Action
Players: 1
Release Date: 02/26/2015 (02/25/2015 Metal Slime Edition)
Price:
PS4 - 7,800 JPY (Physical / Download) tax not included.
PS3 - 6,800 JPY (Physical / Download) tax not included.
Age Rating: CERO B (12 and up)

lJVr21N.png

Game Content
  • The content of the game will be exactly the same across PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

Functionality Differences
  • PlayStation 4 – Take screenshots and record video, broadcast gameplay via live streams, Share Play with friends (as far as the opening dragon battle), and Remote Play on PS Vita.

Frame Rate
  • PlayStation 4 – Characters move more smoothly. The game runs at 60 frames per second.
  • PlayStation 3 – The game runs at 30 frames per second.

Graphics
  • PlayStation 4 – Characters, environments, effects, and such have a more delicate expression. Additionally, in cases where large armies of monsters appear, more monsters will be displayed on screen.
  • PlayStation 3 – In cases where large armies of monsters appear, some monsters will be hidden. However, the difficulty of these battles will not change.

Translation Source: Gematsu

PS3 Comparison Footage / PS4 Comparison Footage

cV5po1Q.png

• Familiar characters from the main Dragon Quest titles appear as allies to fight alongside the player and use in battle. All have their own voice actors / actresses to help bring their characters to life!
  • Control 3 character party and be able to switch between them on the fly.
  • Execute various skills by button combos or instant activation which takes MP
  • Battle large numbers of familiar enemies from the Dragon Quest series including MASSIVE bosses!
  • Befriend monsters by collecting their monster coins and use them to assist you in battle!
  • Take advantage of various contraptions placed on specific maps to help turn the tides in battle.
  • Upgrade your characters skills and abilities at the main camp.
  • Use the alchemy pot to create new useful items and equipment for your party.
  • Buy weapons for your characters at the camp vendor. Weapon changes will be visible on your characters.
  • Switch out your party characters at Luida's Bar depending on the type of missions you face.
  • Character levels are gained in real time followed by the nostalgic level up jingle with a full HP and MP recovery.
  • Money is gained automatically from defeated enemies so no need to worry about chasing coins in the middle of battle.
  • Free DLC planned.

1jERyFt.png

eKW6fOl.png

zo5T5cS.png

Zhl5kw5.png

*Big thanks to Dinjooh for creating transparent .png format images for the characters.

ExnyKuu.png

1st Trailer
2nd Trailer
3rd Trailer
14 Minutes of gameplay with commentary from DQ:H Producer and V Jump editor
Gameplay footage from October Vs. Killer Machine(s) taken from the longer footage above this link.
Arena's voice actress Nakagawa Shoko playing the game as Arena.
Bagi Cross + Burning Bird = FLAMING TORNADOES OF DOOM
Bagi Cross + Burning Bird = FLAMING TORNADOES OF DOOM (2)
CGI cutscene Bianca / Flora + "Tower Defense"
"Tower Defense" different stage

rWTmPOX.png

*Above Screenshots thanks goes to raven777

TfEsOOm.png

#-1:
Q: Does this game have multiplayer / co-op?
A: Unfortunately not, this is a single player only title. Lets hope the second title will though! :D The following below was commentary made by the Producer in regards to multiplayer
“There are no plans for completely synchronous multiplayer,” Ogasawara said, “but we will be incorporating a fun little element that uses the network. We haven’t officially announced that yet, but I think you’ll enjoy it.”
Source: Gematsu

#0:
Q: Is this game going to be localized for the West?
A:
79fed71b0e1ff2cdf0a48d6c92a659bd.jpg

Just announced!

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Single player Action / RPG. For those familiar with the "Musou / Warriors" series this title is done by the same dev team team Omega Force. The player takes control of a small group consisting of 3 heros / heroines which the player can switch between at will. Smashing through large numbers of enemies is the general design of this action title on top of various large sized bosses from the Dragon Quest series.

#2:
Q: Im new to the "Musou / Warriors" genre along with the Dragon Quest series. Should I still buy this game?
A: Since this is a total standalone spin-off title, those who enjoy action games and do not mind importing titles should have no issues for the most part with this game. Gameplay is fairly straight forward and should not be too complex in design. The main thing to consider is if you do not mind the language barrier or not. Asides from that feel free to import away!

#3:
Q: Does this work on a non Japanese region PS3 / PS4?
A: Yes PS3 / PS 4 software is not region locked unless the publisher decides to make it so. Though any content from the JPSN is region locked by said user being required to have a JPSN account to download DLC for example. Though any content pushed out through "title updates" will be able to be received without the need of a JPSN account. But "title updates" are not as common as standard DLC. Therefore it is advised to have a JPSN account if you plan on securing DLC / redeeming product codes for the game.

#4:
Q: Do I need to know Japanese to play this game?
A: Not exactly, but at the same time it would help or else you wouldnt know what the skill / item effects are. On top of missing out on the story. But if you are one of those who are used to playing games without knowing whats being said / can memorize generally what items & skills do by all means feel free to import this title. In general these types of games are not too complex gameplay wise, same with the mission objectives.

#5:
Q: Does this game have any connection to other series?
A: Nope! Totally original story here. This game is a total fanservice to DQ fans with the various main JRPG series characters appearing in this titile. So the only real connection here would be the supporting main series characters. So even if you are not familiar with all of the Dragon Quest games am sure you should be able to enjoy this title!

ckgBQCS.png

ae7kC3X.png

Magic Swordsman Psaro
Arena Battle + Alena and Kiryl Sub-Story

Release Date: March 5

If you clear the arena battle, you’ll get Alena’s original costume from Dragon Quest IV. If you clear the sub-story, you’ll get different colored costumes for Alena and Kiryl.

Demon Sworsdman Battle + Jessica and Yangus Sub-Story

Release Date: March 12

If you clear the arena battle, you’ll unlock Psaro as a playable ally. If you clear the sub-story, you’ll get different colored costumes for Jessica and Yangus.

In the Future

Gods of Destruction and Slaughter Battle + Terry Sub-Story
Greatest Demon Beast Battle + Bianca & Nera Sub-Story
Great Demon Lord Battle + Maya Sub-Story
Source Gematsu

eSAvZiZ.png

http://spwiki.net/dqh/
JP Spell Names in English with effect descriptions.
Dragon Quest Heroes - Menu Translation
*Will update when 攻略 sites start to appear. Also will see about doing some work with menus and such.

YyLz3KP.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan
HMV Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

y2ski3O.png

• Thanks goes out to ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/KOEI TECMO GAMES/SQUARE ENIX for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
  • Thanks to the dafont website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use.
  • Thanks to Joiro Hatagaya for his 8 Bit Wonder font
  • Big thanks to fellow GAF member Dinjooh for his help with the excellent job of cutting out / cleaning up the two game character images from its original background.
  • Thanks oneran for taking the time out to post / help with the question in the graphical editing thread had posted in the offtopic section.
  • Thanks to Shouta for coming up with the subtitle idea for the OT. :D
  • Thanks to Gematsu for the various related information
  • Thanks to raven777 for the screenshots.
  • Thanks to Aeana for the link to the JP spell names in English w/ effects.
*Have no official affiliation to ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/KOEI TECMO GAMES/SQUARE ENIX or dafont.

Parakeetman

That worked out swimmingly well.

\(*T▽T*)/ワーイ♪

All of you metal slime PS4 buyers are jerks.

lol

dont blame me I have a white prinny!

All of you metal slime PS4 buyers are jerks.

Btw Aeana, if you have any name changes you want done for the characters let me know, since should be able to redo the graphic no problem. Will help anyways for the other graphical fluff content Ill be finishing tonight.

Bebpo

Banned
I just realized I don't even know who the "Hero" character is in most of the DQs I've played, especially before 3d graphics. All the actual characters are the support cast.

I feel like this musou is less about playing as recognizable characters you know and love (like Zelda or One Piece or Gundam) and more about playing a musou in the world of DQ against DQ Monsters.

Parakeetman

Sooooo tempted to import this >_< Dunno if I should, and if I should do digital or physical.

If you want it like fast most def digital, plus even the extra added cost of having to buy JPSN cards online, (if that is what you need to do) would be cheaper than the shipping costs in general.

For western titles its what I do instead of importing things.

RM8

I must import this. I wasn't paying attention, but recent gameplay videos convinced me :3 Lowly PS3 player here!

bender

What time is it?
Great OT! I saw the Nippon-Yasan recommendation in one of the other threads. Thank you for that! I went ahead and ordered the PS4 version. I'll probably hate the game but I'm a sucker for Dragon Quest.

Parakeetman

Great OT! I saw the Nippon-Yasan recommendation in one of the other threads. Thank you for that! I went ahead and ordered the PS4 version. I'll probably hate the game but I'm a sucker for Dragon Quest.

Thanks!

I must import this. I wasn't paying attention, but recent gameplay videos convinced me :3 Lowly PS3 player here!

The PS3 version actually still looks quite good truthfully. :)

If you want it like fast most def digital, plus even the extra added cost of having to buy JPSN cards online, (if that is what you need to do) would be cheaper than the shipping costs in general.

For western titles its what I do instead of importing things.

Not quite, unless you know someplace to buy Japanese PSN cards cheaper then I do.

Play-asia with expedited shipping would end up costing about $79.89 for me, but the cheapest I'd end up spending to get enough PSN credit would be $89.27.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
7,800 Yen is gonna hurt, but I'll probably pick this up digitally on PS4. Looks pretty damn good for a Musou game.

Parakeetman

Not quite, unless you know someplace to buy Japanese PSN cards cheaper then I do.

Play-asia with expedited shipping would end up costing about $79.89 for me, but the cheapest I'd end up spending to get enough PSN credit would be $89.27.

I know some folks on GAF were talking about cheaper JPSN card sites, though unfortunately do not remember the names as its not something I see enough to have remembered it unlike the other import stores listed. D:

Aeana

I just realized I don't even know who the "Hero" character is in most of the DQs I've played, especially before 3d graphics. All the actual characters are the support cast.

I feel like this musou is less about playing as recognizable characters you know and love (like Zelda or One Piece or Gundam) and more about playing a musou in the world of DQ against DQ Monsters.
What do you mean? The heroes are on the box and in all of the art. They all have iconic designs.

The best Dragon Quest Heroine made the cut, good !

Bianca is the best

Edit: I'll wait for the Western release, but I'm super excited. This game might sell me on a PS4 sooner than later.

MrDaravon

I hadn't been following this at all, no local co-op honestly kills a majority of my interest in the game. Me and my wife have like 200 hours in Hyrule Warriors and still going. I'd still support a western release, but honestly pretty bummed out.

Shouta

No local co-op really means they wanted it to be a 1 player action RPG experience. Musou always has local co-op, heh.

I've been hyped for this game since it was announced

God damn just charge me for the damn game Ami Ami so I know when it'll ship. Probably won't get it till Monday or Tuesday next week though.

RangerBAD

What's the point of including Dragon Ball? Also, those designs for the DQ1-3 heroes at the top are from the remakes, so the style is more like the DQ6 era.

I didn't make the picture, and was just showing that designs were all different. Only thing I could find.

Jinaar

My first RPG in life was DRAGON WARRIOR on the NES(I got it from subscribing to NINTENDO POWER) I cannot remember how many times I played that game. And when someone released the SNES translated version of DRAGON QUEST1+2 on the interwebs, I played it some more.

Not knowing if this game will ever come to North America makes my heart bleed internally a tad. I'll have to wait and see how mind number all the menus in Japanese are before even thinking of importing this.

This needs to come overseas.

Einhandr

Awesome OT! My hype levels are no longer measurable. I kept checking my cdjapan order at work today to see if if shipped yet. I've got a few days off of work next week, so here's hoping I'll have it by then.

I'd really like to import this... I could get for $75 shipped and have it early next week from Play-Asia...

Hmm, I'll watch some of the newer footage in the OP tonight and make my decision.

Parakeetman

Awesome OT! My hype levels are no longer measurable. I kept checking my cdjapan order at work today to see if if shipped yet. I've got a few days off of work next week, so here's hoping I'll have it by then.

Thanks!

I'd really like to import this... I could get for $75 shipped and have it early next week from Play-Asia...

Hmm, I'll watch some of the newer footage in the OP tonight and make my decision.

Ill be on the lookout if anything else new appears on youtube from folks who manage to get the game early, but most likely that will be from tomorrow. Its rare when people here in Japan get it like 2 days in advance. :)

Aeana

Btw Aeana, if you have any name changes you want done for the characters let me know, since should be able to redo the graphic no problem. Will help anyways for the other graphical fluff content Ill be finishing tonight.

I would prefer Alena to be Alena rather than Arena. "Meer" seems kinda weird, too. I've been going with Mare, but that's weird too. Meah looks strange. Not sure about that one.

I once found this game on the Japanese PSN site, but now I can't seem to find it anymore. The way the Japanese site lays things out is always confusing as hell to me, because it feels like I can never consistently find something.

Parakeetman

I would prefer Alena to be Alena rather than Arena. "Meer" seems kinda weird, too. I've been going with Mare, but that's weird too. Meah looks strange. Not sure about that one.

thanks for the feedback. ill get changes done when am back in the saddle (^^)

Top Bottom