• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX DS new pics !!

Geoff9920

Wow, that looks great! Can't wait. :D

Any new info in the text?

edit: Not realtime anymore? Hopefully someone can clarify.

I love the character maker system! :)

Also it seems the turn based battles are for only single player while multi is the action based?

andrewfee said:
Wasn't this supposed to be an action RPG now? (like Diablo) Looks turn-based in these shots.

Yeah, looks like they changed it, which may explain the delay from the summer 2007 date. Now, it looks like a mix of real-time and traditional. You see the enemies on the field (thank god, random battles suck ass; sorry, DQ8) and can hit them for the advantage or w/e.

I think they had to change it for the online wifi to work. DS latency was probably too high to do 4-player real-time. Turn-based is much easier to do.

PolyGone

Banned
customizable characters ala Miis? awesome!

looks like the battles are still turn-based, but players can take their turns all at once for speedy encounters! looks pretty sweet

best-looking portable RPG ever confirmed?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
this.... looks like it's just using the DQM engine.

With a little bit more art direction and the help of some grainy shots.

that's not to say it's not great - because DQM was great - but i'm guessing the games will look about the same.

Grug

So am I right in assuming that this will be the biggest selling handheld game of all time in Japan and there will be bloodshed in the streets on the day of its release?

Kafel

Banned
55451020070425_135925_0_big.jpg

In the bottom left corner, faces from all the characters ever created by Toriyama.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So am I right in assuming that this will be the biggest selling handheld game of all time in Japan and there will be bloodshed in the streets on the day of its release?

6 million sales bonanza coming right up!

Zweisy1

Definitely one of the prettiest DS games so far.

SE are by far and away the most graphically talented developer on the DS. This game looks absolutely stunning

Well, Level 5 deserves the credit for these visuals not SE...

Matix

PolyGone said:
customizable characters ala Miis? awesome!

looks like the battles are still turn-based, but players can take their turns all at once for speedy encounters! looks pretty sweet

best-looking DS RPG ever confirmed (IMO).

Fixed.

Kreed

Menu based combat returns. Not that I didn't like the idea of it being an action RPG, but now it's more like Dragon Quest.

Though I have a feeling the switch to menus had more to do with the game being online and Level 5 not being able to pull of an Action RPG on the DS. I wonder how the game will play online now that it's not an Action RPG? For example when a character runs into an enemy will everyone in the party go into a menu based battle or just the character that ran into the enemy?

toypop

There are no "action" factors at all, in what I can read in this article.
They probably removed all of ARPG systems.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Back to turn-based??? YESSSSSSS!!!!! I was so worried that the action RPG mechanics would get stale, fast. I guess enough Japanese gamers complained or something, and Horii was pretty much forced back into turn-based gameplay. But having enemies visible on the world map is definitely something I've wanted to see in DQ for a while (hell, nearly any turn based RPG). Graphics look nice for DS, as well.

Top Bottom