• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vita doesn't sell, and Dragon Quest has been on 3ds for a while with the monsters games and DQ7

FFX HD Vita sold quite well, actually. I imagine that would be a pretty good equivelant, no? Not to mention that Vita games do actually sell in JP, where this game will likely stay.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is great news provided it gets localized -- but I was hoping for a higher fidelity system. I hope the 3DS can match the PS2 because this game was goddamn gorgeous.

Still, I'll play a potentially compromised version over none at all. Just gotta get this to come out here.

3DS is by and large quite a bit more powerful than PS2.

sörine

Banned
How big of a downgrade should we be expecting? Cause DQ8 still looks and sounds really amazing. More amazing than the 3DS can likely replicate!
Monster Hunter 3, Tales of the Abyss and Xenoblade all turned out okay. Depends on the resources put into it really.

hMQxUM6.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
FFX HD Vita sold quite well, actually. I imagine that would be a pretty good equivelant, no? Not to mention that Vita games do actually sell in JP, where this game will likely stay.

To put into perspective, some games on Wiiu sell, most games on Ps4 sell even more.
Now replace WiiU with vita and PS4 with 3DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, didn't expect that. Even if DQXI was announced for 3DS I fully expected VIII and XII to be announced for PS4.

I bet we'll get this and still never get DQVII since the existing localization can largely be used, which is a shame since I'd only consider getting this if was a decent port and had some nice additions.

What this mean for DQ11?

It means even Horii can't say no to that install base they built... probably.

Chesskid1

Banned
i am playing through this on pcsx2, i just unlocked the 4th character.

i would stop and wait but i doubt it would come to 3ds here..

kunonabi

Dragon Quest I-III on Wii
Dragon Quest IV-VI on DS
Dragon Quest VII - IX on 3DS
Dragon Quest X on Wii

Looks I'm good to go for the whole series once this comes out and I get around to picking up VI and VII

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is there any reason why they wouldn't use the PS2's localisation? I mean, assuming the game gets announced for international release.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I would like very much for this to come to the West.

Esp. if it's the original version. Cor Blimey!

Jawmuncher

Wonder if nintendo will have to convince Square again like they did with Bravely Default.
That's what happened right? It's been so long.

I'd play it again. It's a fantastic game.

IX convinced me that DQ can still be great on a handheld. At this point I'll take anything..it's been years since 9.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I thought this game was boring as shit when I played it a few years ago. It might be more enjoyable on a handheld, but I doubt those of us in the West will get to find out.

3DS is by and large quite a bit more powerful than PS2.

Quite a bit more powerful? Really?

I'm not a specs guy and don't really know how to quantify the two -- you're probably correct -- but I don't think I've seen a 3DS game that can come close to what DQ8 pulled off on the PS2. That's probably more to do with budget than specs, but still.

hongcha

I'll get this, as I have a JP 3DS and I love DQVIII, but I have to say I am disappointed they aren't releasing an HD version for one of the home consoles. It would be so cool to play in 1080p instead of 240p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom