• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sörine

Banned
I don't understand this. The recent HD versions of Square-Enix PS2 games - KH, KH2, FFX, FFX-2 - were great, and they sold really well. Why doesn't this get the same treatment? I mean, it makes sense either way. Portable stuff is selling better than console in Japan, 3DS is hardware king,, DQ has a longstanding history on Nintendo handhelds, now... But an HD version of this just makes more sense to me. Plus, being on 3DS, unless I really convince myself it's worth it to get a New 3DS from Japan, odds are good I'll likely never play it, anyway. Which blows.
DQVII 3DS in just Japan sold more than KH1, KH2, FFX or FFX-2 HD worldwide. That's probably why.

bon

Pretty sure this will be released outside Japan since it's already localized. I mean we got the phone version of DQ8 and we're getting Heroes, so why skip this? The thing keeping DQ7 from coming out here is mostly its huge unlocalized script.

Two spinoffs not made by SE convinced you of that?

2 musous no less, which some people seem to think are the equivalent of mainline games. Playing Hyrule Warriors doesn't mean you've played a mainline Zelda game, just like playing DQ Heroes doesn't mean you've played a mainline DQ game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Besides DQ only being on what sells the most, it kinda seems like for a while now DQ has been made the nintendo franchise whilst FF has been turned to the playstation franchise.

Tizoc

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...cleId=1719851&bbsId=G003&itemId=5&pageIndex=1

New info thus far

- New story scenario confirmed
- Female thief Garuda and Monster Battleroad's Molly will join as new party member.
- Streetpass confirmed
- Full Voiceover confirmed on Event scene.
- Song by Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra will feature in 3DS Version.

Wait a minute...by Molly don't you mean Morrie?
latest

I loved that dude's accent!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HOLY SHIT MORRIE AS A PARTY MEMBER

HOLY FUCK
I don't understand this. The recent HD versions of Square-Enix PS2 games - KH, KH2, FFX, FFX-2 - were great, and they sold really well. Why doesn't this get the same treatment? I mean, it makes sense either way. Portable stuff is selling better than console in Japan, 3DS is hardware king,, DQ has a longstanding history on Nintendo handhelds, now... But an HD version of this just makes more sense to me. Plus, being on 3DS, unless I really convince myself it's worth it to get a New 3DS from Japan, odds are good I'll likely never play it, anyway. Which blows.
As we already know from Dragon Quest IX, Horii likes Dragon Quest to be on the best-selling platform. That platform this generation is 3DS, if you don't count mobile.

StevieP

Banned
I mean

if Sony wanted DQ on the PS4

it seems like they should have made the PS4 sell better in Japan?

My own sarcasm in this thread aside, this is basically what this boils down to when it comes to those wondering why it isn't an HD remake. Cost questions aside, consoles aren't really viable in Japan. At all.

LiK

sörine;163744447 said:
Sounds good but they really need to speed up the battle system to VII levels. VIII just feels so slow compared to the rest of the series.

i had some battles where it lasted quite a while. yea, it's a grind sometimes.

Tizoc

sörine;163744156 said:
DQVII 3DS in just Japan sold more than KH1, KH2, FFX or FFX-2 HD worldwide. That's probably why.

What were the sales figures for DQ7 3DS and those other games?

fates

Has it been said whether it's a New 3DS exclusive?

I hope not :<, I want this, but I don't 200 extra $$$ want it.

For a brief shining moment I got excited when I read the thread title. Well, at least I still have my PS2 copy of the game that I can play.

Maybe at E3 Square-Enix will announce western releases for VII and...I can't even finish typing that sentence. It's just not going to happen.

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...cleId=1719851&bbsId=G003&itemId=5&pageIndex=1

New info thus far

- Female thief Garuda and Monster Battleroad's Molly will join as new party member.
- Streetpass confirmed
- Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra's music will feature in 3DS Version.

Looks like this is Red and Morrie. Those are probably the two best picks from the game. The only other guy I could think of is Marcello and that doesn't make a lot of sense story wise.

Shauni

HOLY FUCK

As we already know from Dragon Quest IX, Horii likes Dragon Quest to be on the best-selling platform. That platform this generation is 3DS, if you don't count mobile.

Not to mention, DQ's fanbase is in Japan. Outside Japan, it's like a million at most kind of seller, I think. At most.

Mr. RPG

What were the sales figures for DQ7 3DS and those other games?

Over 1.1 million units sold for Dragon Quest VII on Nintendo 3DS in Japan.

As for the other titles I don't know, but it is very unlikely that they sold more than 1 million.

Tizoc

HOLY FUCK

Also developing for the 3DS isn't that costly :V
...but man, from what I've seen Capcom are THE best when it comes to graphics or rather animations on the 3DS.
Wonder what the graphics will be like in this game...

Aeana, where are you?!?!

I'd love to hear if this game's potential translation to the US is a possibility.

Everyone else, be quiet. I need to hear from someone who knows (unless you're someone like that).

:-D

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Not to mention, DQ's fanbase is in Japan. Outside Japan, it's like a million at most kind of seller, I think. At most.

And thats when they had the push from nintendo's marketing.(which btw got bravely default to a million)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Time to update that list of DQ localizations we'll never see!

Dragon Quest VII R
Dragon Quest VIII R
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest X: Odekake Moshasu de Battle
Dragon Quest Monsters R
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 R
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime 3
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest

;_;

Kandinsky

Dragon Quest keeps on being that thing that console fanboys only care about when repping their console of choice. :(
It's not even that, I feel like theres more chance of the games coming over under Sony these days, hell we already have Heroes coming and VII 3DS still hurts :(

VariantX

Ok, these additions make it all worth it to jump back into this game if it comes to the west. It'll be fresh as hell to me since its been about 10 years since I last played it

jeremy1456

Maybe at E3 Square-Enix will announce western releases for VII and...I can't even finish typing that sentence. It's just not going to happen.

I'm very happy that VIII was announced for a Nintendo platform just because of the fact that without Nintendo as a possible publisher there's even less of a chance of these games being brought over.

It's a slim hope, but Nintendo has set a precedent for publishing Square-Enix RPGs on their platforms in the past.

Sony has not. At least in recent years.

Personally I would rather they bring VII to the U.S. I know there's virtually no hope, but I'm not willing to give up on it yet.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Please come to North America.

catmario

New info thus far

- Female thief Red and Monster Battleroad's Morrie will join as new party member.
- Streetpass confirmed
- Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra's music will feature in 3DS Version.

Sorry guys. I fixed some infos
What I wrote Geruda was actually Red in Western version. Sorry. ;(
It was mistake by I didn't know name changes in Western version of DQVII. I only played Japanese version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom