• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauni

Boy, this thread is already going down shitty places. A shame this kind of topic brings out such bitterness in so many, and along with so much flawed logic and just outside ignoring of reality to try and rationalize biases. Well, I'll just nod my head and say I hope for the unlikeness of a western port and those who have a Japanese 3DS will enjoy this and be out.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Still holding out hope for VII. I don't know why this announcement gives me even more hope the two will be localized, but I'm remaining optimistic.

Hugstable

Banned
People always forget this. DQ IV isn't bad looking either.

I think DQ 7 got stuck in people's minds when they think of DQ games always looking primitive.

DQ5 looks like the NES games with an expanded color palette, and it's one of the best games in the series. 7 is one of my favorites too and is what really brought me into the series with my first exposure being 3 on the GBC

rjc571

Banned
Honestly considering importing even though I don't speak a lick of Japanese.

There's a brand new, previously unannounced F2P Pushmo game out NOW for 3DS, too. Crazy night!

*Looks at first page and already 2 bans* GAF never fails to disappoint.

Really hope this comes out west. I know last time it was between Bravely Default and DQVII, hopefully that isnt the case this time around. If Nintendo can localize Fatal Frame V theres hope for DQ yet.

Pharaun

I want to believe that this will come out in the west, but I have no confidence in SE or Nintendo to actually localize it.

Links_fantasy

Another entry for the 3DS that Square-Enix can pass on for the West. This is the fifth DQ entry on 3DS and we've yet to get a single one. Instead they give us a musou DQ for PS4 and expect us to be grateful. Though this is the most likely one to come over for 3DS as it requires the least amount of effort, with English voices already done and the mobile port released in the West.

jackdoe

Dragon Quest VII looked amazing on 3DS and there's no reason a port of the PS2 game shouldn't too.

Isn't Xenoblade 3D load-free?
Doesn't the PS2 have a higher fill rate than the 3DS? MGS3 looked like utter ass on the 3DS too.

But honestly, as long as they downgrade in a way that doesn't impact image quality (unlike Xenoblade 3D) it should be fine. It's cell shaded, so simplifying geometry and textures shouldn't be a real issue for the overall aesthetic.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm a little confused about it being on the 3DS, considering they're claiming it will have even more content (and they're porting the voice acting from the US version)

Is this for the regular 3DS or the New 3DS? Mobile phones had to downgrade it quite a bit.

Red and Morrie is exciting, though it's a bit strange since there was no party member switching on the PS2, the 4-man team was very tight-knit and that was part of the charm of the story.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DQ5 looks like the NES games with an expanded color palette, and it's one of the best games in the series. 7 is one of my favorites too and is what really brought me into the series with my first exposure being 3 on the GBC

5 might be the worst looking mainstream RPG on the system! I love it though.

I don't really care if SE brings 7 over here. That game never pulled at my heart like 8 did.

If we missed out on 8, I would be super crushed. I'm still getting over missing out on the Monsters remakes. Urgh.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So did 7 though. :(

8 has one that can still be used for the most part, unlike 7. But with new playable characters and additional dialogue that'll probably require new voiceover they'll still likely skip this unless Nintendo gives them a push.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Doesn't the PS2 have a higher fill rate than the 3DS? MGS3 looked like utter ass on the 3DS too.

But honestly, as long as they downgrade in a way that doesn't impact image quality (unlike Xenoblade 3D) it should be fine. It's cell shaded, so simplifying geometry and textures shouldn't be a real issue for the overall aesthetic.

Tales of the Abyss was ported from PS2 to 3DS and people say it's the better version of the two, mostly due to the extremely shortened load times.

Looking forward to the new stuff. Yangus in Japanese was weird in DQH. :(

There you are! Was hoping you'd be around for the thread tonight.

In all honesty, was this release inevitable given the state of Japan's 3DS industry? Or could it be a sign that SE's still considering bringing VII (and now VIII) to the states?

Sure, but it isn't the best looking game on the system though. VIII is one the best looking games in its entire generation, if not the best. :p

Sure, but I was helping to dispel that graphics don't matter to the series. Yeah, DQ5 & 7 were kind of ugly, but DQ4, 6, and 8 were all some of the best looking games on their respective system.

Shauni

Given the lack of 3DS support from SE, I'm surprised they announced it for 3DS and not the other consoles.

It's not had that horrible of support from SE in Japan. Multiple DQ games, the Bravely games, and Final Fantasy Explorers. Actually, in Japan, the 3DS has had a pretty healthy amount of support from Square overall.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dragon Quest VII looked amazing on 3DS and there's no reason a port of the PS2 game shouldn't too.
DQ7 on the 3DS is pretty visually simplistic and restrained in a lot of ways. There are more bumps in the road when it comes to porting something like DQ8.

Hugstable

Banned
Wonderful. Another Dragon Quest remake that'll never make it to the West. Thanks Square Enix.

2BmnlgR.png

I'm holding out to this E3 for my final hope in DQ7. If it doesn't show up this year, I give up

Yarbskoo

Is there any reason for me to get excited about this? Will it offer anything the PS2 version doesn't already (besides portability)? Will it even come to North America?

t26

Tales of the Abyss was ported from PS2 to 3DS and people say it's the better version of the two, mostly due to the extremely shortened load times.

Graphics wise PS2 Abyss is still better, as well as better control with Dual shock. Faster loading is the only advantage.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Given the lack of 3DS support from SE, I'm surprised they announced it for 3DS and not the other consoles.

SE sort of supports the 3DS in Japan. It's not to the extent of support for the DS, but there are quite a few SE 3DS games out there.

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3, Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D, Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key, Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, and of course Dragon Quest VII were all released in Japan, but not in the west, for example.

fates

Is there any reason for me to get excited about this? Will it offer anything the PS2 version doesn't already (besides portability)? Will it even come to North America?

It has two additional playable characters, and a new scenario.

As for your second question...

... probably not.

Soriku

sörine;163741735 said:
XI not going to PS3/4 after all?

You could also say DQ Heroes 2 proves SE aren't done with the DQ series on those consoles, with XI possibly included.

I don't think a port negates what Horii said about wanting to play DQ XI on a big screen.

DQ7 on the 3DS is pretty visually simplistic and restrained in a lot of ways. There are more bumps in the road when it comes to porting something like DQ8.

It takes a lot of shortcuts, but it's still a pretty decent looking game. It's a huge step up from the original, but the overworld is pretty simplistic and segmented, despite trying to be like DQ8's overworld. You can see that they were going for DQ8 style, but it's not nearly as ambitious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom